• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Non-Japanese stories that would make good anime.

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
LydiaDianne

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2006 12:55 pm Reply with quote
psycho 101 wrote:

3. Since they're turning Witchblade into and anime they could try other comics such as Lady Death or Purgatory. I don't mean the aweful Lady Death animated movie that made me weep. I love Christine Auten and the voices she does but Lady Death... I still shiver. Her voice acting wasn't that bad...just the horrible animation and the plot...so bastardized. Do it some justice, give it 26 episodes at least. Got enough material for about 5 seasons.

For a moment there, I thought you were living up to your name! Smile Wink The ADV Lady Death is the ONLY one that I have given a "Worst Ever" rating. It was beyond awful...hideous is the word that comes to my mind.

Quote:
1. If people are going to use the novels of Pern as an idea then you've gotta include Mercedes Lackey Valdemar books. They have so much depth and character development. Read them all at least 4 times.

And I gladly agree with you on both of these titles. I would love to see how someone would animate the mating scene between Ramoth and Mnementh (not to mention Lessa and F'Lar). I would love to see the Black Gryphon, Vanyel and Talia.
Lapis Lazuli Lolita

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2006 1:04 pm Reply with quote
We all saw what happened to the Powerpuff Girls...

You know what would make an amazing anime? HIGHLANDER.
Nerv

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2006 1:24 pm Reply with quote
The Odyssey would make a sweet anime. A lot of story to tell, thats for sure.
beast

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2006 2:07 pm Reply with quote
Lapis Lazuli Lolita wrote:

There is already a Highlander anime movie currently in production:
anime#5552
selenta
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2006 2:17 pm Reply with quote
LydiaDianne wrote:
And I gladly agree with you on both of these titles. I would love to see how someone would animate the mating scene between Ramoth and Mnementh (not to mention Lessa and F'Lar). I would love to see the Black Gryphon, Vanyel and Talia.

Yeah... it's because of the mating sequences that the series will probably never get animated, or it'll probably mature when it does if it wants to do it justice. Not because it's graphic... but if they even want to try and convey the intesity of the sequence... it won't have to be graphic to get that M rating. God I would love to see it animated by some real fans, I think either madhouse/studio pierrot/Brains-base would be awesome for pretty much every aspect of the show, but the thread and mating scenes would probably not be done too well by those studios. It'd be ideal if a studio like KyoAni could do just those scenes while somehow emulating the style of the rest of the show; though... perhaps it could be better if the style is slightly different, it's just that to go from a darker tone (madhouse) to a lighter tone (KyoAni) during the intense moments just wouldn't make any sense. I just don't know of any studios that do that darker/heavier style animation and do action scenes well. The thread scenes and mating scenes would be absolutely otherworldly if they're done all out in twos in ones.

Twelve Kingdoms wouldn't have jack on Pern, and considering how I rated Twelve Kingdoms, that should say something. Now I'm getting depressed just thinking about the fact that it'll never happen Anime cry
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Lapis Lazuli Lolita

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2006 2:19 pm Reply with quote
beast wrote:
Lapis Lazuli Lolita wrote:

There is already a Highlander anime movie currently in production:
anime#5552

See, this just shows how awesome my tastes are.
UKfan

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2006 2:22 pm Reply with quote
Nerv wrote:

Like Ulysses 31?

anime#1732

Admittedly it's a sci-fi recreation of the Odyssey and it's getting on a bit now, but it was a fantastic show and I remember it fondly.

I would love the Deathstalker series by Simon R. Green to be made into an anime just to see how they deal with all the wierd freaky stuff that goes on.
bluepita

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2006 8:49 pm Reply with quote
I definitely agree with the Pern and Dark Tower suggestions. (By the way, keep reading, the ending is great. I think King hit the only possible good ending.)

I think L.E. Modesitt, Jr.'s Recluce series would make a good anime. The books aren't the best I have ever read, but they are interesting. I think there is a decent mixture of traditional and unique elements to make a good anime series.
Nerv

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2006 9:22 pm Reply with quote
UKfan wrote:
Nerv wrote:

Like Ulysses 31?

anime#1732

Admittedly it's a sci-fi recreation of the Odyssey and it's getting on a bit now, but it was a fantastic show and I remember it fondly.

I would love the Deathstalker series by Simon R. Green to be made into an anime just to see how they deal with all the wierd freaky stuff that goes on.

Yah. But they should make it more like a samurai anime series, along the lines of that. They would have so much material to work with and can make it into something great. (but it is indeed true that the Odyssey is already a great masterpiece)
silver_omicron

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2006 9:27 pm Reply with quote
I might as well say it now.

Harry Potter.

And, Cinderella is just begging to be made into a Miyazaki movie. I'd say 95% of Disney Movies are worthy of being Japanese Anime (if you don't consider them as "Anime" as they could be already").
deepon05

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2006 9:34 pm Reply with quote
Call me crazy but I think CSI would make a good anime. I love the original CSI and thinking about it as an anime would be awesome. It would be a nice retreat from anime about Japanese schoolkids and mecha and crazy fictional animals. Another anime idea I had would be about the Godfather. THAT would be an awesome anime. But I don't that the Japanese would do the story any justice and would ruin an American classic. I mean the Japanese haven't produced a GOOD live action movie in so long, since the old samurai classics from the late 40s and 50s. Now thats good entertainent.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
TAKAVAR

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2006 9:44 pm Reply with quote
Hmmm, i like the story of legacy of kain serries of games to be made into an anime. i really liked the story of that game and its characters.
Hisdon

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2006 9:54 pm Reply with quote
psycho 101 wrote:
Hisdon wrote:
I'd have to say Stephen King's Dark Tower series myself; it's got everything a drama could ask for, action, romance, ect

however I heard it ends on a bad note, I havn't finished them yet so I wouldn't know :S

I am delighted to find someone who's read the Dark Tower Series besdies myself. Some of, if not the best, the best work King ever did. I've only read up to the Wolves of Callah myself. Interested to see how he ends the series since he said he wasn't sure he ever could in an interview many many years ago. Anyway, back on topic. I agree the Drizzit books, all 2 dozen or so, would be a great anime. Here are some I think would be good;

1. If people are going to use the novels of Pern as an idea then you've gotta include Mercedes Lackey Valdemar books. They have so much depth and character development. Read them all at least 4 times.
2. The Witchblade comics would be great as an anime. That live action series kinda stank something aweful. Fortunetly there are making this into an anime, so we'll just have to see if it's any good or not.
3. Since they're turning Witchblade into and anime they could try other comics such as Lady Death or Purgatory. I don't mean the aweful Lady Death animated movie that made me weep. I love Christine Auten and the voices she does but Lady Death... I still shiver. Her voice acting wasn't that bad...just the horrible animation and the plot...so bastardized. Do it some justice, give it 26 episodes at least. Got enough material for about 5 seasons.
4. As for video games, they should do a Resident Evil and Silent Hill anime series. Maybe a good 2-3 season anime can wipe away the stench and sludge that's know as Resident Evil Apacolypse. The first movie was pretty decent but 2....shoot me in the head please. Silent Hill was pretty good, the movie, as far as video game adaptations go. With an animated series though they could really add some of the darker more twisted aspects of the series. Maybe also try the Alone in the Dark series.

same I'm on book 5

I think Blain the Choo Choo would be one of the most briliant scenes ever to be animated. It was the highlight of both books 3 and 4 for me.
Hisdon

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2006 10:03 pm Reply with quote
bluepita wrote:
I definitely agree with the Pern and Dark Tower suggestions. (By the way, keep reading, the ending is great. I think King hit the only possible good ending.)

I think L.E. Modesitt, Jr.'s Recluce series would make a good anime. The books aren't the best I have ever read, but they are interesting. I think there is a decent mixture of traditional and unique elements to make a good anime series.

intresting, I've heard it ended weird, but I guess I'll have to see in another 2000 pages of books or so Razz
Riyousha

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2006 10:15 pm Reply with quote
I believe this book would make a great Japanese cartoon.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 2 of 17