• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Hey, Answerman! [2007-01-12]

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
drakonslair

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2007 1:31 am Reply with quote
I dont like watching anime on youtune. quality is generally bad and they are all split up. Personally I prefer to get things directly from the source.

I tend to use them like previews. There isnt much anime on tv in Ireland and what there is is generally very mainstream or childish so its hard to just throw money at something you really have no idea about.

I usually will watch the fansubs, If I like the show Ill pick up the dvd's when they come out even though I would have watched it all fansubbed.

You tube are begining to start blocking the content. I notice FLCL is completely removed on request of the company. Japanese tv companies are applying a lot of pressure on that front at the moment even if its not focused on anime specifically.
Cloe

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2007 1:35 am Reply with quote
Eruanna wrote:
Actually, I am of the opinion that American graphic novels turn out better when they arent trying to be manga in the first place. They try so hard to be something they arent, and they forget that they have a cool cartooning style of their own thats just as good, just different.

Yeah, I think so too. Some people try so hard to emulate the manga style that they forget what you really need is a good story and foundation drawing skills. I like it when you can tell the creator is obviously influenced by the Japanese manga style, but takes it and pushes it in a different direction (Scott Pilgrim!!!!) and creates something uniquely their own.

I love love LOVE your avatar, by the way. Spread the Angel's Egg love!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
bleuster

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2007 1:39 am Reply with quote
For my money, nothing gives me more satisfaction in the end than a solid graphic novel. Manga is great and gave me a new perspective on comics, but you'll likely see me standing and reading The Walking Dead at Borders than say ...School Rumble.
But there are a lot of generic titles on both ends, so it's kind of pointless to say which is better. It's all preference.

As for non-Japanese authors and artists throwing their hat into the manga scene... well, if they can pull it off, more power to them. Otherwise, it just seems like they're milking the whole idea (much like the title Zac pointed out that the guy had no substance to back up any talent. Ugh). I've read a few and it just seems like illustrated fan-fiction.
There are a couple I've read that have potential, so don't think I'm ragging. But let these guys mature a bit more and gain experience in the field, then see what happens.

And there's a lot to learn from both Japanese AND American media. Be more daring, but don't over-stay you're welcome.
While The Simpsons take a couple "breaks" a year, I don't see any improvements in quality. And it's and on-going series. I see the same mistakes on both ends.

Catchy subtitles: Love them. "Volume" and "The" is so redundant. Give me Patlabor: With the Vengeance! anytime
I'm a sucker for gimmicks Embarassed
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Abarenbo Shogun

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2007 1:44 am Reply with quote
Quote:
This is truly the finest resume I've ever recieved!

i need a job as an anime reviewer, i have pretty good opinions, at least my friends say so, i would like to work for your site. i am saving for a playstation 3 so i would need 50 dollars per review.

You're hired, kid! Here's your first assignment: review this photo!

Your check for $50 is in the mail, I swear.

(I didn't send in the question, but worth a shot and a laugh.)

Ah yes, the Neon Genesis Evangelion: PenPen OMAKE OVA. Another vain attempt by the makers of the NGE franchise to milk a cow that has already mummified and wrapped in it's white linen strips, ready for it's golden sarcophagus. It goes to show you, the Japanese will make money off of anything, so long as there is a market for it. Donald Trump would be so proud.

An obvious nod to the iconic charater in NGE that either hasn't had a nervous breakdown, superiority complex, or plain social issues period, PPO is a cute sidestory where PenPen's life is fleshed out, from his humble beginings on the Antartica Wastes, to his eventual intergration into Human Society. In the atatched photo, we see PenPen at Intermediate school. He's the one to the rght BTW.....
Adept_Rogue_Saiki

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2007 1:58 am Reply with quote
Quote:
It's a shame, really, but in my opinion, they should simply take season breaks like American shows, for god's sake. I've never understood why it is that shows like Naruto and Bleach have to have brand-new episodes every week; give the people behind the scenes a few months off, let the manga storyline expand and then come back to it when you're ready to crank out another 26 episodes. That way we could all avoid having to sit through some lame undercooked plot that doesn't advance the story or include any real character development.

I am going to have to agree with you on this Zac. I never really understood why them would not just take breaks.
MorwenLaicoriel

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2007 2:03 am Reply with quote
I think one of the hardest reviews to write is when you've actually met the author at a local event...and then only sorta liked the book. Oi. (Not that I'm a professional or even really experienced at this point, but I haaated doing that.)

What really frusterates me about 'World Manga' is that the bad titles really....hide the good ones. There's some real treasures in there--Megatokyo, Fool's Gold and Earthsong. And, besides Megatokyo and Drama Con...they're kinda unknown. x.x; (Tokyopop, for the love of Mike, promote your GOOD title, instead of...Peach Fuzz or whatever.)

EDIT: I completely forgot to comment on the Flake. Anime hyper

I don't know what's funnier/sadder: The fact that he's applying for a job when there's no available position, using his friends as a reference, or demanding a huge amount of money when he doesn't even know how to use the shift button.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Zalis116

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2007 2:10 am Reply with quote
Feb wrote:
i don't understand why people buy anime when you can watch them for free on the internet. i mean, they're free! they're right there, you don't have to pay. i never buy dvds, i watch all my anime on youtube, and i wouldnt be suprised if i saved thousands. putting a dvd in your dvd player, or watching on youtube, whats the difference? crazy people buy anime when they can watch it for free.
I don't understand how the anime industry got to be where it is today. Maybe it's because people buy the products, allowing the companies to produce/license more? If everybody got everything for free, it's a pretty safe bet that all those streams of anime coming from Youtube and the fansub groups would dry up. And yes, there is a difference, which would become evident by watching DVDs to compare -- higher resolution, higher video quality, more sound channels, and better subtitles (usually). Speaking of which, it's not like Youtube is the be-all, end-all of anime for free on the Internet, despite what the ranter seems to believe. Even taking all the illegal clips down from Youtube wouldn't solve anything--I'd estimate that dozens of websites (including a certain Swedish site that even the MPAA couldn't defeat) and numerous IRC servers would have to be shut down to have any serious impact on availability of "unofficial" downloadable anime.
I say that if the ranter wants to get that "anticipation" experience, he should get fansubs the old-fashioned way--at least then, he'd have to wait for torrents or IRC sends to finish up in order to watch that anime. I'll confess to having numerous series on the HD for awhile and never feeling too motivated to watch them, such as Wolf's Rain, Gunslinger Girl, NieA_7, Strawberry Eggs, Human Crossing, Maze, Diamond Daydreams, and probably more. But when I decided to get the DVDs for them, there was suddenly incentive. Buying the DVDs = an efficent way to clear backlog and HD space Cool

Very interesting question & answer on the volume subtitles -- Taking a quick glance at the DVD collection, I'd estimate at least 75% of the discs have some kind of title. Although it gets old sometimes (Vol. 4 of ROD the TV and Vol. 3 of Yumeria are both titled "End of a Dream," for instance), I actually like the practice--it gives a bit more flavor and individuality to the series, whether it's cute titles like "Sakura Fight!" in CCS or grim titles like "Unending Nightmare" in Mermaid Forest. I guess I wasn't around following DVD releases when they all had generic labels like "Second Encounters" and "Third Strike." And if there aren't volume numbers on a DVD, then it's time to cut up little pieces of Post-it Notes and make my own labels, as I've done for Lain and Now and Then, Here and There.

Have the Naruto fillers really caused a loss of popularity in the series' fanbase? I'm talking about the young males in Japan who are the actual target audience, not the fansub downloaders who are years ahead of the American release. The impression I get is that the studio can afford to do filler after filler because the pre-teen boys in Japan don't care as much about "Oh no this wasn't in the manga." Then again, I don't have the actual ratings handy, so maybe there has been a decline. I'd love to cite DL numbers from a certain fansub group's tracker, but it's down at the moment.

Obviously I'm not a reviewer, but in writing My Anime comments, I've also found that it's easy to write plenty of content about shows I loved or shows I hated. It's much harder to explicate the good and the bad of a series if you didn't like the good or dislike the bad very much.
deema

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2007 4:18 am Reply with quote
I don't buy anime or download it, I just record whatever anime comes to the U.S not just anime any good cartoon. I don't think its illegal as long as I don't sell em. I love
American Comics (especially Marvel) Its all about the story and art, something Japan doesn't lack in, but that doesn't mean other countries lack in that talent their just not as popular
penguintruth

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2007 4:51 am Reply with quote
Abarenbo Shogun wrote:
Quote:

i need a job as an anime reviewer, i have pretty good opinions, at least my friends say so, i would like to work for your site. i am saving for a playstation 3 so i would need 50 dollars per review.

Ah yes, the Neon Genesis Evangelion: PenPen OMAKE OVA. Another vain attempt by the makers of the NGE franchise to milk a cow that has already mummified and wrapped in it's white linen strips, ready for it's golden sarcophagus. It goes to show you, the Japanese will make money off of anything, so long as there is a market for it. Donald Trump would be so proud.

An obvious nod to the iconic charater in NGE that either hasn't had a nervous breakdown, superiority complex, or plain social issues period, PPO is a cute sidestory where PenPen's life is fleshed out, from his humble beginings on the Antartica Wastes, to his eventual intergration into Human Society. In the atatched photo, we see PenPen at Intermediate school. He's the one to the rght BTW.....

I want to see this created - NOW. Somebody call Gainax. I'm sure they'll jump at the chance to milk the franchise some more.

Pen Pen is truly the greatest unsung hero of anime.

And Zac, despite any disagreements I've had with your reviews or statements, that picture ensures your survival in the revolution.

I look at a lot of the "American manga" that TokyoPop puts out there - most of it is just terrible and insulting to my intelligence and tastes. I always pick up samplers at cons I go to just to check it out, but I'm always disappointed.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
ArielTsuki

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2007 4:55 am Reply with quote
Abarenbo Shogun wrote:
Quote:

I rarely LOL'ed so hard on a forum.

But yeah, fillers suck, but people need to realize that Japanese television is not like American television. Although I hate Winter and Summer reruns like every other American (remember, it used to be only Summer reruns?), the Japanese never really experience that trend to my knowledge. They do rerun stuff but that's not common. With the Japanese changing fandoms as often as changing socks, it would be too much of a finanical risk to put off a series for weeks, especially for something if it catches up with the manga. So it's more feasible to make fillers for the meanwhile, although I wish they improve the quality of it instead of it being like bad fanfiction. That's why Kenshin flopped before it can get to the end.

Someone mentioned that they need to do the third arc of Kenshin. They did in a sense in the OVAs, which had a better ending to it than the manga IMO.

And the people rise to the bait of the troll. I wish people stop thinking that fansub is the only problem of why the anime industry is failing, not that it is anyway. Isn't it stable than it used to be a couple years back? From my observation, it's pretty stable nowadays. Is fansubs a reason? Yes, but it isn't the main reason. We don't clearly know how much of an effect fansubs have on the industry because it would be very diffcult to conduct a study on it. But problem that can be solve somewhat is that: 1) stop buying anime on a discount and 2) stop waiting for the box set and buy the singles. Also today's licensing companies are more careful in picking anime than before instead of oversaturating the market with any anime despite quality and wishful thinking it will gain a small profit.

With that said, I think the ranter should just stop watching YouTube altogether if he feels guilty about it, although I would like the admins of YouTube to crack down on people who use dubs or licensed anime. I doubt it's taking any experience away because a 3 by 4 screen is nothing compared to a TV screen with better quality. I use YouTube to watch anime that I end up buying either the manga or the anime itself if it's better than the manga or an original production (and 26 or less episodes).
sunflower

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2007 5:56 am Reply with quote
I occasionally watch an anime episode on Youtube to sample it, so I find it useful in that way. Some samples make me run toward the store to buy it, some make me run away. But it's nice being able to see if the show is for me before buying the first DVD. I used to get burnt on lots of comedies before this because I just don't find many of them funny.

But really, I'd prefer that the companies themselves put up episodes to watch. The recent Coyote Ragtime Show streamed episode made me buy that, and it was great seeing a quality version of it. The versions on Youtube are such low quality I can't believe anyone could sit there and watch them. I'd hope that would mean any fan those stolen episodes create would be enticed into buy the beautiful clear pictures on a DVD.

RE: manhwa and OEL, I think there's some really beautiful original stuff out there. Not a lot, maybe because it doesn't sell as well yet, but enough that I have no hesitation about picking up a title to glance through it just because the author's name isn't Japanese. I'm thinking pariticularly of DramaQueen's shoujo manhwa offerings, and their OEL anthology magazine Rush.

And there are other manhwa shoujo series I've enjoyed. Les Bijoux and Demon Diary and Boy Princess come to mind. I have to think some of the complaints about manhwa really are just based upon prejudice or maybe just a stubborn mindset, because I've found that the percentage of titles I dislike among the comics I try don't vary based upon the author's nationality. But then, maybe I've been luckier than most readers in the titles I've purchased.
Iron Chef

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2007 6:34 am Reply with quote
In response to the author of the rant, I recall my first exposure to Ranma 1/2 was a fanDUB of the series that was hysterically awful. Thanks to the folks who did that, as it saved me from watching yet another unfulfilling Rumiko Takahashi franchise. I know that YouTube has taken some measures to keep ALL licensed stuff off its bandwidth, but I'm sure that some will slip in here and there. In my opinion, try before you buy is great for damn near everything on the planet except for food. I am a cook, after all.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
Steroid

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2007 7:18 am Reply with quote
Answerman wrote:
. . .either they're ridiculous elitist otaku who believe everything from Japan is superior. . . or they've actually read a lot of Korean and American manga and legitimately came to the conclusion that most of it kinda sucks.

So, the same answer holds true in either case, the only difference is the method of derivation: general experience in cultural superiority versus specific experience in manga superiority. Don't see the need to label proponents of the former as ridiculous.

The ranter wrote:
I get the feeling that I'm cheating myself out of the full experience I used to enjoy so much. . . . Maybe I'm kind of crazy for thinking so, but I feel bad about watching so much unreleased anime.

More properly, you need to identify the trappings of the full experience you miss as noisy interference in the purity of the enjoyment. Realize that your viewing of YouTube represents the work of many people: the YouTube creators and maintainers, the people who digitize, subtitle, and upload the videos, and yourself for having the money to purchase the computer and the internet connection. I think if you saw it that way, you might feel the same joy you do in purchasing a DVD, and you would still have the money anyway.

Feb wrote:
i don't understand why people buy anime when you can watch them for free on the internet. i mean, they're free! they're right there, you don't have to pay. i never buy dvds, i watch all my anime on youtube, and i wouldnt be suprised if i saved thousands. putting a dvd in your dvd player, or watching on youtube, whats the difference? crazy people buy anime when they can watch it for free.

They're not crazy, just misguided. It's up to folks like you to be sympathetic and show them The Way.

Unholy_Nny wrote:
EDIT 2: Whoah, "^_^" is an emote here.....

Yes, I know, but I think it lacks the punch of the three-character smiley. Something like :) works as a yellow circle, but ^_^ needs to have room to spread.
Animedude35

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2007 7:30 am Reply with quote
Wow, I have to admit Zac, one of the best collections of questions in a while and a rant that I actually thought was a valid opinion. Kudos Very Happy

I have say that most American and Korean mangas have their own different style on their way of doing things. Although most of the time they are trying to copy a genre that wasn't originally theirs to begin with, they have a hard time emulating the same types of style that the Japanese do. I agree with one of the posters (Nagi) that they should stick to what they do, and not try to copy the Japanese, just because it's the current trend right now. Sure there are some people that want to be manga artist, and probably a select few would have success in that field, but for the most of them, it's going to be a long way.

Feb wrote:

This guy is just ignorant but to quote from Dr. Hairston's anime class:
Quote:

Anime is: animation created in Japan initially made for Japanese audiences
a distinctive artistic and narrative style of animation
a commerical product created by business
an aspect of the globalization of popular culture
an expression of transnational youth culture
a form of art and literature we can study
a lot of fun

Anyways, anime needs money to keep on going, and to those that counter your views, they are right and you're wrong. Anime is an enterprise that needs money to survive, and that with our money going towards the product, they can release more (hopefully) quality titles to us. Also, Youtube video quality is crap compared to dvd and it's compressed so bad that you can't really watch it full screen without pixels everywhere...
Ryllharu

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2007 8:25 am Reply with quote
Anime on Youtube is a problem, the quality is terrible, the episodes are split into segments, and generally, watching them there does not give any credit to the fansubbing community who put all the effort in to make it understandable.

Fansubbing began for one reason, to bring the anime to the fans. There was no corporate interest at the time, and putting subtitles on tossed around VHS cassettes got everything started here. But it still serves a great purpose, seeing if you really like a series. I've made the mistake of buying the first couple of dvd's in a series, only to later lose total interest in a series. Suddenly I'm short $60-$90 and am left only with something I don't really care for. After that happened for the fifth time, I decided to only buy series I really feel strongly for. I can't afford to drop $200 on series I only feel so-so about. I'll admit I don't understand exactly why the prices on anime dvd's are so high, I'm guessing supply and demand, but when you can turn around and buy 2 seasons of an American TV show for $40, I have to wonder.

To me, buying series you really love is just another way of letting the licensing companies here and the animators abroad know what shows you really like. If the sales are a little higher on the deeper, more intelligent series with higher quality animation, it's my hope that they will tend to acquire more series like that in the future. I do wonder what impression the popularity of a fansubbed series gives to the licensing companies here. There have been a few odd choices in the past, and some notable series that were left alone for some time.
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 2 of 8