• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Winning FLCL T-Shirt Design is Scarface Haruko

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jedi General

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2007 6:00 pm Reply with quote
The Seventh Son wrote:
not bad. might get it.....but i wont go in hot topic. it pisses me off just walking past it Evil or Very Mad

You and me both. I hate going into Hot Topic. The one in the mall near me is always crowded too.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
omar235

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2007 6:04 pm Reply with quote
So much hate for Hot Topic...I will probably buy it since it is part of my hobby of collecting anime merchandise and because it really doesn't look half bad at all.
RogueJedi86

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2007 7:08 pm Reply with quote
One minor issue: since the shirt is for American(non-Japanese) customers, shouldn't Haruko's name be switched up? Someone unfamiliar with the Japanese naming system would assume Haruhara is her first name, and Haruko her last name.

Other than that, awesome shirt.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Fiction Alchemist

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2007 11:27 pm Reply with quote
No, actually, because in the FLCL dub, her name was "Haruhara Haruko", in Japanese naming order. Anime smile

RogueJedi86 wrote:
One minor issue: since the shirt is for American(non-Japanese) customers, shouldn't Haruko's name be switched up? Someone unfamiliar with the Japanese naming system would assume Haruhara is her first name, and Haruko her last name.

RogueJedi86

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2007 3:30 am Reply with quote
Fiction Alchemist wrote:
No, actually, because in the FLCL dub, her name was "Haruhara Haruko", in Japanese naming order. Anime smile

RogueJedi86 wrote:

Bah. Put me in my place. I'll still pout though, that the name order could confuse non-FLCL fans who see the shirt at Hot Topic.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
MorwenLaicoriel

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2007 3:47 am Reply with quote
I really, really like the design for the shirt. I think it fits more than the Simpsons Scarface spoof that some stores had earlier. I think I'll probably pick this one up.

As for all of the Hot Topic whining--what's the big deal? Yeah, there's a lot of silly kids with black eyeliner and a near-obsessed love for having as many random chains and straps hanging from their clothing as possible that tend to go to the store. But regardless, it's one of the *best* places to go for merchandise for not just anime, but ANY animated properity, and even some video games. Where else can I go and pick up Gir guitar pick earrings, a Beauty and the Beast t-shirt, a Fullmetal Alchemist key chain and a button with Kuroneko-Sama all in one stop? Particularly since I collect t-shirts relating to animation (and they've got a REALLY nice selection of designs, particularly with Disney tops), that place is a godsend. And I'm about as ungothy as they come! Laughing
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address My Anime My Manga
The Xenos

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2007 3:52 am Reply with quote
Eh. Scareface is a good movie and all, but is it just me or has the huge marketing push for it lately really made it very overhyped? Plus I've already seen a ton of parodies of the classic Scarface image. I would have rather seen something more original than just a parody we've seen a ton of times.
Abarenbo Shogun

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2007 5:26 am Reply with quote
The Xenos wrote:
Eh. Scareface is a good movie and all, but is it just me or has the huge marketing push for it lately really made it very overhyped? Plus I've already seen a ton of parodies of the classic Scarface image. I would have rather seen something more original than just a parody we've seen a ton of times.

It's Iconic and cult, and Rappers like the rags to riches story.

Plus the push only came about with the re-release in 2003.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2