• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Darker Than Black (TV).

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cloe

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2007 11:32 pm Reply with quote
HellKorn wrote:
Cloe wrote:
One of the few really interesting shots for me in this episode was when his eyes narrowed as Miss Hostess Bar (I forgot her name) ran from him after the kiss.

Haruguchi, I believe. And you're referring to this shot, correct? If so, then I'm in full agreement on the character designs, particularly the rather dark expressions that we see Hei showcase.

Yes! Yes! That's the shot. Soooo nice, and a really great contrast from his face 5 seconds earlier. I just might have to wildly veer away from my better judgement and swoon over an anime guy if Hei keeps making expressions like those. Embarassed

This is the closest I've come to fangirl-sim in a good while.

HellKorn wrote:
I think that the cat spoiler[talks] in some upcoming episodes, so no don't that we'll see more of 'im.

Huh? I already knew about that cat, but I thought I heard him spoiler[speak] in this episode. Right before Hei attacked Rui, I think.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Exaar

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2007 11:48 pm Reply with quote
I agree that emotions can be a hindrance when your job requires killing, and that Hei is pretty subdued, but there are plenty of people like that (especially in those kinds of jobs) with no supernatural influence. It just seems like a strange jump of logic to me to guess that the contract has something to do with Hei (and maybe others, although I didn't notice it at all) being cold. Seems to me that's just the way he is, and by the very nature of their lifestyle, the way other Contractors would tend to be, or would have to be to choose to become Contractors in the first place. I don't think the contract itself is responsible for any lack of emotion they might display. I guess we'll find out, though.
pyrex

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2007 7:44 am Reply with quote
I just caught the first episode last night, and I'm with most others, I'm taking the wait and see approach. It's hard to garner to much from the first episode, but I'm interested to learn more about the deal with the wall around the city and the whole "Hells Gate" concept. The concept of an agency after supernatural powered beings seems to be a little bit of a played out, but I'm going into it with a open mind. The character design looks cool and from episode1/preview for 2, it seems like Lee is defiantly a contractor and probably the masked one from the being.
Jedi General

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2007 9:05 am Reply with quote
I watched the first episode last night also. The episode was interesting to say the least, but I'll still be watching more to see what happens. The episode wasn't boring, it's just that not much was explained. I'm interested to find out more about the different things going on.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
HellKorn

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2007 3:15 pm Reply with quote
Cloe wrote:
Yes! Yes! That's the shot. Soooo nice, and a really great contrast from his face 5 seconds earlier. I just might have to wildly veer away from my better judgement and swoon over an anime guy if Hei keeps making expressions like those. Embarassed

This is the closest I've come to fangirl-sim in a good while.

Now the million dollar question is: Who's hawter, Hei from Darker than BLACK, or one of the many bishounen (Or more!) in Revolutionary Girl Utena? Wink

Quote:
Huh? I already knew about that cat, but I thought I heard him spoiler[speak] in this episode. Right before Hei attacked Rui, I think.

Either I missed that bit or else I thought it was somebody else talking at the time...

Exaar wrote:
I agree that emotions can be a hindrance when your job requires killing, and that Hei is pretty subdued, but there are plenty of people like that (especially in those kinds of jobs) with no supernatural influence. It just seems like a strange jump of logic to me to guess that the contract has something to do with Hei (and maybe others, although I didn't notice it at all) being cold.

It's entirely possible to loose in through other means, oh definitely. But my theory here is more or less based on their attitudes that we've seen, and Hei's rather, how to say, "unnatural" change in mood and expression. This occurs not solely just when he's about to kill, but in various spots throughout the episode. He isn't the "cold, silent" type all the type that we'd expect from him, but he isn't the most warm-looking guy around, either.

Quote:
I guess we'll find out, though.

Indeed.
omar235

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2007 6:43 pm Reply with quote
I just saw the first episode and I definatly like the show...alot. The whole contractors and Dolls (mediums) is awesome. I like supernatrual anime, and after finishing Ghost Hunt this was a pretty cool show to jump into. Hei as a character is pretty cool, he is deffinatly interesting he could end up being a favorite character of mine. I have to say alot of the titles this year seem pretty cool, I try not to get my hopes up but seriously alot of them look good.

Going to what Cloe said about the cat speaking, I thought I heard the cat to, an older guys voice. I don't know at first I thought he was the narrator...heh. Anyways I will be keeping up with this series to, I can't say that I don't like my dark anime...oh yeah Yin is hot. Razz
Cloe

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2007 8:25 pm Reply with quote
HellKorn wrote:
Now the million dollar question is: Who's hawter, Hei from Darker than BLACK, or one of the many bishounen (Or more!) in Revolutionary Girl Utena? Wink

Heh, Hei doesn't hold a candle to Utena (or even Oscar, for that matter), but is hotter than Touga and Saionji combined. However, I'm biased because ladies in drag are my #1 heroes. Thank you, Takarazuka Revue!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
v1cious

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2007 6:53 pm Reply with quote
i just got around to watching this, and i have to say it's pretty damn good so far. the second episode particularly had a very "Cowboy Bebop" type vibe to it. hopefully the plot will deliver as it goes on.
Facade19

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2007 8:08 pm Reply with quote
Just finished watching the second episode and spoiler[who would have thought that she was a doll.] Shocked
I must say besides Heroic Age, Darker than Black is seriously becoming my favorite anime to watch.
The mood of the series (though only two episodes) has been nothing but eccentric, esoteric.
I want to see what sort of relationship the police boss will have with our main character Lin.
Takai

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2007 10:05 pm Reply with quote
This show is really good.

The way the characters interact with each other are amazing. The VAs and animators done VERY well in this project. You can sense how the contractors really had no emotion by the way the voice actors changed the tone of their voice than most of the cast.

This show is on my top animes to watch list... And I hope this comes out here in a couple years. Though... I kind of hope they don't hire really crappy VAs to do the voice overs. [because it would REALLY kill the vibe of the series]
Stupidman007

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2007 10:16 pm Reply with quote
I just saw the second episode, it felt really cheap and weak after we find out that spoiler[The girl was a doll ]. Basically it just wiped away an episode and a half of character interaction, leaving me with nothing more than what I had already known from the plot summary in the encyclopedia and the first episode. The way spoiler[Hei defeated the other 3 contractors] was pretty boring too. The first episode was great, full of substance... but the second episode was simply a huge letdown for me.
frouella

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2007 10:53 pm Reply with quote
Stupidman007 wrote:
I just saw the second episode, it felt really cheap and weak after we find out that spoiler[The girl was a doll ]. Basically it just wiped away an episode and a half of character interaction, leaving me with nothing more than what I had already known from the plot summary in the encyclopedia and the first episode. The way spoiler[Hei defeated the other 3 contractors] was pretty boring too. The first episode was great, full of substance... but the second episode was simply a huge letdown for me.

And here I came to the forum specifically to say how much I liked the second episode. Razz

Yeah, I was as surprised as anyone to find out that Chiaki was spoiler[a doll (and more than a little sad because I liked her interaction with Hei)], but I thought the incident did a lot to show Hei's characterization in the bigger scheme of things. And his comments about Contractors in general indicate to me that he's got some interesting backstory as well (mmmm, I smell angst!). My only semi-gripe is about his spoiler[magic bulletproof raincoat; how exactly does he get it to fold up small enough to fit in his pocket?] And where can I get one? Laughing

And really, I liked how the tone was more subtle in this episode, especially the Contractors' fight at the end. Don't get me wrong, I'm as big a fan of brutal skull-crushing as the next person, but I thought that the frantic breathing and the cutaway to the falling star worked just as well, only classier. And the following music cue tied everything up in a pleasing, yet melancholy, fashion (yay for Mai Yamane!). Finally, some evidence that YK actually IS working on this project...

I can only speak for myself, but I have to say that if anything, the second episode only makes me want to see the rest of this series even more.
Emerje

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2007 2:41 am Reply with quote
I liked the second episode for the same reasons as you, frouella. We really did learn quite a bit more subtly about Hei. The end was a major surprise spoiler[I was sure she was going to stick around as a main character. Hei seemed to show some genuine emotion when he found out she was a doll.]. The visual of the heart swap was pretty nice.

For anyone that's read the current Japanese run of the Naruto manga, is it just me or does Hei act a lot like Sai? Hei has a better grasp on etiquette, but they both have that lack of emotion coupled with forced fake emotion and similar eyes. It's not a very common character device. Maybe it's just me.

Emerje
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
HellKorn

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2007 6:19 pm Reply with quote
Cloe wrote:
Heh, Hei doesn't hold a candle to Utena (or even Oscar, for that matter),

Yanno, I really should get around to watching The Rose of Versailles at some point. This summer perhaps?

Quote:
but is hotter than Touga and Saionji combined.

The manipulator and asshole get no love.

Quote:
However, I'm biased because ladies in drag are my #1 heroes.

Hm... well then, for non-cross-dressers: Hei or Akio?

Stupidman007 wrote:
I just saw the second episode, it felt really cheap and weak after we find out that spoiler[The girl was a doll ]. Basically it just wiped away an episode and a half of character interaction, leaving me with nothing more than what I had already known from the plot summary in the encyclopedia and the first episode.

It's only the first two episodes. Are you not familiar with the term methodical, or do you want plot and character elements spoon-fed to you?

Anyway, not much that I feel like adding except the second episode cemented my interest in the series. Though the darker atmosphere wasn't as prominent here as it was in the first episode. I do wonder how long BONES plans to keep up the "double episode plots," if for the whole way through, or to change it to a more arc-based approach.

Edit: Huh, I didn't know a-hole got edited into that... Cute, ANN. Laughing
Ohoni

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2007 11:05 pm Reply with quote
I'm very on the fence with this series. I think that the concept of the Contractors has potential, but so far they've been a little weak, and the main character is rather unsympathetic so far. What's his power anyways? Just a bulletproof coat? Whoopee.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 2 of 11