• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Romeo x Juliet.

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mirrinus

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2007 12:23 am Reply with quote
LydiaDianne wrote:
frouella wrote:
youkai_ronin wrote:
Then I remembered one simple detail......spoiler[ROMEO AND JULIET DIE.] Damn gonzo and my short attention span pulled a fast one on me....

I find it both hilarious and sad that THAT merits a spoiler tag... Rolling Eyes

Hey, it's always possible that someone has been living in a dank dark hole somewhere and ditched their English Lit classes.

What's funny is that Shakespeare himself spoiled that in the very first speech of the original play. I'm sure there were audience members who went "OH NOES! SPOILERS!"

Personally, I disliked the original story of Romeo and Juliet, and I actually admire Shakespeare and his plays a good deal. If a studio were to make an adaptation of Much Ado About Nothing, though, I think I'd be extremely pleased and excited. Beatrice is like the Renaissance version of the classic tsundere archetype, and Benedict's snarkiness could easily match the likes of SHnY's Kyon or Kanon's Yuuichi.

Last edited by Mirrinus on Mon Apr 16, 2007 12:25 am; edited 1 time in total
Eruanna

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2007 12:25 am Reply with quote
Hey, they changed alot of other stuff, you never know they might give it a HAPPY ending! Very Happy (I seriously, SERIOUSLY hope not.)
Shakespear plays lend themselves well to adaptation and even complete re writing, since William himself was a forumla writer. As such, almost any setting and idea can fit into the formula of Romeo and Juliet (or any of his other plays really) And still work.
(Although Id much rather see a modernized retelling of.. say, Macbeth, or The Tempest, personally.
This show does look VERY good though. Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
LydiaDianne

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2007 12:30 am Reply with quote
Mirrinus wrote:

Personally, I disliked the original story of Romeo and Juliet, and I actually admire Shakespeare and his plays a good deal. If a studio were to make an adaptation of Much Ado About Nothing, though, I think I'd be extremely pleased and excited. Beatrice is like the Renaissance version of the classic tsundere archetype, and Benedict's snarkiness could easily match the likes of SHnY's Kyon or Kanon's Yuuichi.

OH! I'd LOVE to see that one. Hopefully the spoiled, evil Prince would be much better than Keanu Reeves...even though he didn't do a half bad job.

Ado has been my favorite Live Action Shakespeare movie so far. To see it animated would be just fun!
Mirrinus

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2007 12:42 am Reply with quote
LydiaDianne wrote:
Mirrinus wrote:

OH! I'd LOVE to see that one. Hopefully the spoiled, evil Prince would be much better than Keanu Reeves...even though he didn't do a half bad job.

Ado has been my favorite Live Action Shakespeare movie so far. To see it animated would be just fun!

Ha, I too loved the live action version of Much Ado About Nothing. And yes, I agree that seeing Keanu Reeves playing Don John was just...freaky. But I thought Beatrice and Benedict were very well done in that one.

Personally, I would have expected GONZO to do Macbeth rather than Romeo and Juliet, but that's just a gut feeling about the studio...I really liked Macbeth too.
LydiaDianne

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2007 12:55 am Reply with quote
Mirrinus wrote:
LydiaDianne wrote:
Mirrinus wrote:

Ha, I too loved the live action version of Much Ado About Nothing. And yes, I agree that seeing Keanu Reeves playing Don John was just...freaky. But I thought Beatrice and Benedict were very well done in that one.

Personally, I would have expected GONZO to do Macbeth rather than Romeo and Juliet, but that's just a gut feeling about the studio...I really liked Macbeth too.

In my opinion, if it is well done, Shakespeare translates well in any sort of visual medium. It sucks big time if it's Read. Shakespeare was NEVER meant to be read. It was meant to be seen! That's why millions of people around the world groan when Shakespeare is mentioned. They remember the Shakespeare torture sessions in High School English classes.

Sorry to bring the thread OT.
Ryvius213

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2007 12:57 am Reply with quote
I also would've expected Gonzo to produce a MacBeth anime instead of a Romeo and Juliet series. Probably because MacBeth actually had fantasy elements in the original play. But an alternate retelling of Romeo and Juliet is fine. Just as long as Gonzo continues to bring out good stuff.

It's kinda OT, but did anyone else notice that William Shakespeare's name was incorrectly spelled "Whilliam Shakespeare" in the opening credits? Someone's gonna get sued. Laughing
LydiaDianne

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2007 1:00 am Reply with quote
Ryvius213 wrote:
I also would've expected Gonzo to produce a MacBeth anime instead of a Romeo and Juliet series. Probably because MacBeth actually had fantasy elements in the original play. But an alternate retelling of Romeo and Juliet is fine. Just as long as Gonzo continues to bring out good stuff.

It's kinda OT, but did anyone else notice that William Shakespeare's name was incorrectly spelled "Whilliam Shakespeare" in the opening credits? Someone's gonna get sued. Laughing

By whom? Gonzo or the Fansubbers?

And who would sue? Shakespeare's works are public domain and he's been dead for 400 years or so.
youkai_ronin

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2007 9:19 am Reply with quote
To: Frouella

Hehe I'm glad i got someone with that. And you never know there may be someone who really hasn't heard of RomeoXJuliet(in some distant universe far, far away...) Cool
Hazumu-san

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2007 10:00 am Reply with quote
I read of this show in Newtype, it sounds looks like it maybe really good. It sounds like something from Gonzo I will want to see, even if it ends sadly.

OT:I remember reading this out loud in high school Eng. Lit class, and I liked it then. (abeit I got a lot of ribbing for having to read Mercutio's lines.)
Jedi General

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2007 11:27 am Reply with quote
I watched the first episode the other day, and it was just as good as I expected it to be. That's a good thing, as I have very high expectations for this series. The opening chase sequence was fun to watch and I'm really liking the flying horses thus far. The animation during the flying sequences was amazing. The music is great also. I love the OP and the BGM, but the ED doesn't quite fit. It doesn't matter though, as the BGM alone is enough to satisfy me. Finally, I loved the little scene at the end involving the titular characters. Made me eager to see the next episode.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Eruanna

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2007 3:27 pm Reply with quote
LydiaDianne wrote:

In my opinion, if it is well done, Shakespeare translates well in any sort of visual medium. It sucks big time if it's Read. Shakespeare was NEVER meant to be read. It was meant to be seen! That's why millions of people around the world groan when Shakespeare is mentioned. They remember the Shakespeare torture sessions in High School English classes.

Sorry to bring the thread OT.

I must say I completely disagree. Shakespeare reads just fine. I loved doing it in English class, and I always got so annoyed with all the other kids who wrote it off right away without even giving it a chance because a) "Its hard to understand lol" (Give me a break. It only takes a little mental exursion to figure it out. I could understand it just fine) b) "Its boring because its so old!" (Load of crap. You read something like Macbeth and tell me thats boring stuff in there. Shakespeare is full of violence, gore, death, murder, betrayal, sex, humor and witty dialoge).
Basicly, people in high school, from what I gathered, didn't like Shakespear because it wasnt cool to like it. They had decided they disliked it before they even started, which really annoyed me.
Also, I hated it when we read it outload in class because I swear. Nobody except me and one other girl in that class knew how to read out loud properly.
"They. All. Read. In. A. Monotone. Where. Every. Freaking. Word. Was. A. Sentance. By. Itself"

To sum up, if someone found Shakespeare to be torture in English Class, its because they MADE it into torture by going into it with such a closed mind.

....oy, sorry about the little rant there.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
mind over matter

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2007 5:52 pm Reply with quote
your right about how the language isn't that hard if you just think for a sec about it. I was board with it around the middle, but the beginning and end were not boring for me. After letting the idea sink in that this is not going to be the same, I'm actually really exited to see the rest of the series.
Ryvius213

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2007 6:25 pm Reply with quote
LydiaDianne wrote:
Ryvius213 wrote:

By whom? Gonzo or the Fansubbers?

And who would sue? Shakespeare's works are public domain and he's been dead for 400 years or so.
Gonzo mispelled the name. Kinda strange, since they spelled it right inthe trailer. And I wasn't being serious about Gonzo getting sued.

Eruanna: I'm not sure if this counts as being close-minded, but Romeo and Juliet seemed too angsty for my tastes in the original play. I actually enjoyed some of Shakespeare's other plays.
Eruanna

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2007 7:23 pm Reply with quote
Ryvius213 wrote:
Eruanna: I'm not sure if this counts as being close-minded, but Romeo and Juliet seemed too angsty for my tastes in the original play. I actually enjoyed some of Shakespeare's other plays.

Naw, your fine Razz I was just talking about the people who only dont like it because "Shakespeare = uncool therefore.... I dont like it lol"
The fact that you can critisize it means youve actually givin it a chance and thought about it. Smile
Key

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2007 8:30 pm Reply with quote
The work of Shakespeare is one of those things that I appreciate a lot more as an adult than I ever did when I was first working through it as a teenager. (Of course, the same could be said of most of the classics I read in high school.) Sure, it was difficult to slog through reading it, but - as others have pointed out - seeing it in action in a movie or play allows one to more fully enjoy its beautifully poetic flow.

To me, most of Shakespeare's serious work has seemed heavily angst-ridden, but that could be just a by-product of the format; elements like angst are simple to convey in a stage play format and effective at getting across a character's struggles in a limited amount of time. Romeo and Juliet is certainly no exception. However, over time I have come to respect that one greatly as the quintessential example of disaster resulting from young love caught in the midst of conflict where the two lovers come from opposing sides.

As someone else mentioned, R&J's structure is so basic that it can easily be adapted to any number of different settings and formats - West Side Story showed what it would look like set amidst New York City street gangs and Basilisk more or less shows what it would look like set amongst warring ninja clans - and still succeed. Because of that, I think the Gonzo version will ultimately work once people get over the shock of how extreme an adaptation it actually is.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 2 of 6