• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: OVA for Yoshimizu's Lucky Star Greenlit in Japan

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
hikaru004

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2008 1:10 pm Reply with quote
I hope KyoAni is the one animating the OVA.

The more money they get the more likely we get Planeterian, Little Busters!, more Munto... Laughing
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2008 1:21 pm Reply with quote
Kaioshin_Sama wrote:
And likewise, I wouldn't say so. It's really not like it's an especially challenging series to animate or write for. Just know what the audience wants (Kagami for example in any capacity) and have the characters do that. That's what the first series basically amounted to beyond the quarter point.

Well, we've got examples like Minami-ke and Minami-ke: Okawari; the sequel is not as popular as the former. Not to mention Gunslinger Girl and Gunslinger Girl -Il Teatrino-; the latter even has a complete different cast and has received numerous criticism. Arguably the only sequel produced by a different studio that outperforms the original is Full Metal Panic! The Second Raid, which was coincidentally ( Wink ) animated by KyoAni. We'll see.

Kaioshin_Sama wrote:
And yes I did finish and even analyzed it for the blog I write for, so I know what I am talking about.

Huh? Has anyone ever mentioned your blog?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Kaioshin_Sama

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2008 1:24 pm Reply with quote
dormcat wrote:
Kaioshin_Sama wrote:
And likewise, I wouldn't say so. It's really not like it's an especially challenging series to animate or write for. Just know what the audience wants (Kagami for example in any capacity) and have the characters do that. That's what the first series basically amounted to beyond the quarter point.

Well, we've got examples like Minami-ke and Minami-ke: Okawari; the sequel is not as popular as the former. Not to mention Gunslinger Girl and Gunslinger Girl -Il Teatrino-; the latter even has a complete different cast and has received numerous criticism. Arguably the only sequel produced by a different studio that outperforms the original is Full Metal Panic! The Second Raid, which was coincidentally ( Wink ) animated by KyoAni. We'll see.

Yeah, well I actually liked the original Full Metal Panic! better than either of the sequels because it had the better blend of comedy and action and had a more interesting and fresh plot. Fumoffu failed to amuse me in the slightest and Second Raid just replaced Gauron with Gates who was almost the exact same character except even less interesting. Althought they honestly didn't seem to realize this when they spoiler[brought Gauron back for a guest appearance.]

Then it went almost nowhere before cutting off and then offering another go nowhere OVA. At least at the end of the first season I felt somewhat satisfied with the events and the ending. Then again the Second Raid was kind of a rehash so it can't be blamed for not being as good other than in animation. Although one I guess can also argue that because it was more or less a rehash that the enhanced animation made it superior, but I personally would almost go so far as to say that the two "sequels" and subsequent OVA set the franchise back a couple steps or at best stalled it's progression entirely.

That's another reason I'm not expecting all that much from this Kadokawa/possibly Kyoani OVA sequel. It'll probably just be a for the fans type thing that only people who loved the originals self-indulgence will really enjoy. I don't see it changing many peoples minds about what the franchise entails, and that includes me.

[EDIT: Spoiler tags added -- not everyone's seen TSR, and they wouldn't expect spoilers for it in this thread.~Zalis]

Last edited by Kaioshin_Sama on Mon May 05, 2008 1:37 pm; edited 1 time in total
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2008 1:29 pm Reply with quote
Kaioshin_Sama wrote:
Yeah, well I actually liked the original Full Metal Panic! better than either of the sequels because it had the better blend of comedy and action.

I said "arguably," didn't I? Cool
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Kaioshin_Sama

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2008 1:39 pm Reply with quote
dormcat wrote:
Kaioshin_Sama wrote:
Yeah, well I actually liked the original Full Metal Panic! better than either of the sequels because it had the better blend of comedy and action.

I said "arguably," didn't I? Cool

That you did. My mistake, sorry. Wink
fighterholic

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2008 2:09 pm Reply with quote
All I can say is, more KONATA! And KAGAMI! I love it Very Happy Although I will say it might be a bit of a concern if it will be a bit different. Hopefully they can get the main cast back.
Richard J.

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2008 2:23 pm Reply with quote
For those bringing up FMP!, do remember that the franchise is based on light novels so the animation studio may not have as much say in what the plot does as you might think. Also, KyoAni has stated in the past that more FMP! is very likely, so there's no reason to look at an OVA annoucement for Lucky Star to be a bad thing for FMP!.

The more successes KyoAni has, the more money they get. The more money they get, the more likely they are to be able to make more anime. They aren't the largest or the oldest studio so they can use every reputation boost they can get.
Kaioshin_Sama

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2008 2:39 pm Reply with quote
Richard J. wrote:
For those bringing up FMP!, do remember that the franchise is based on light novels so the animation studio may not have as much say in what the plot does as you might think. Also, KyoAni has stated in the past that more FMP! is very likely, so there's no reason to look at an OVA annoucement for Lucky Star to be a bad thing for FMP!.

The more successes KyoAni has, the more money they get. The more money they get, the more likely they are to be able to make more anime. They aren't the largest or the oldest studio so they can use every reputation boost they can get.

True, but I can't help but feel like a partnership with Kadokawa is like a deal with the devil. I don't know how many people have heard of their more unsavory business practices, but they are among the most sneaky and underhanded concerns around.

And yes Kadokawa generally calls the shots where Lucky Star, FMP! and Haruhi are concerned. There's not much keeping them from just ripping that contract right out of their hands other then Kyoani's willingness to play ball or fold from lack of funds. It's a sad reality that Kyoani faces, trapped in this cycle of playing to the tune of Kadokawa. They really need to find a new primary sponsor/funder if they want to move forward and not have their reputation fall further to the level of Kadokawa's lapdog where I argue it is right now.
narutoismybrother

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2008 2:41 pm Reply with quote
Oh this just made my day so much better. Very Happy
CakeStealer

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2008 3:20 pm Reply with quote
Alright Lucky Star! Looking foward to the OVA.
I wonder if Bandai will liscense this as well?
fighterholic

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2008 4:55 pm Reply with quote
CakeStealer wrote:
Alright Lucky Star! Looking foward to the OVA.
I wonder if Bandai will liscense this as well?

Hopefully with the success of the DVD series being released over here, then we will see it come over with a license.
Kuyukly

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2008 10:24 pm Reply with quote
se37 wrote:
This has to be the best news all day long for me

<--- *huge Lucky Star fan*

Agreed!

I can't wait! Lucky Star is pretty much my life right now. I already have my first box and am set to preorder the next the instant they let it loose! Anime hyper
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2008 12:45 am Reply with quote
Richard J. wrote:
For those bringing up FMP!, do remember that the franchise is based on light novels so the animation studio may not have as much say in what the plot does as you might think.

Then what makes you think that the animation studio has less say in an light novel adaptation than a manga adaptation (read: Lucky Star) or a game adaptation (Air, Kanon, Clannad)?

Richard J. wrote:
Also, KyoAni has stated in the past that more FMP! is very likely, so there's no reason to look at an OVA annoucement for Lucky Star to be a bad thing for FMP!.

Fans are more worried about the new season of Haruhi. KyoAni pretty much has its hands full now.

Kaioshin_Sama wrote:
True, but I can't help but feel like a partnership with Kadokawa is like a deal with the devil. I don't know how many people have heard of their more unsavory business practices, but they are among the most sneaky and underhanded concerns around.

"Heard?" First hand, if you might say so. Twisted Evil Not that I'm going to reveal any detail here.
mastertr

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2008 8:14 am Reply with quote
hikaru004 wrote:
I hope KyoAni is the one animating the OVA.

The more money they get the more likely we get Planeterian, Little Busters!, more Munto... Laughing

=P I'm with you there. Need more KEY/KyoAni projects Anime hyper.
Richard J.

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2008 9:26 am Reply with quote
dormcat wrote:
Then what makes you think that the animation studio has less say in an light novel adaptation than a manga adaptation (read: Lucky Star) or a game adaptation (Air, Kanon, Clannad)?
I think you're intentionally ignoring the obvious point I was making. The studio itself does not necessarily make all the decesions about content. The original material as well as the higher ups that own it generally make most of the decisions. It's not like KyoAni's people can just wake up and say "okay, today we'll make Lucky Star with a chainsaw weilding zombie army that kills everyone" or "FMP! needs more hentai action, lets add some!"

When the studio is producing the original source material, or when they own the original source material, they can largely do what they want. Otherwise, they are slaves to what others want them to do. I was just trying to point out that an earlier poster's problems with plot in The Second Raid were highly unlikely to be KyoAni's fault as they were adapting light novels not making it up as they went along.

And if we're going to start having a "Kadakowa's an evil corporation" thing going on in this thread, I demand examples and evidence please. So far all I know about them is they've released some good shows over here. And if being their "lapdog" means KyoAni continues to get to work on such great series as Haruhi, Full Metal Panic! and the various Key projects, I can imagine worse things.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3