• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
ANNCast - NERVous Breakdown

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DmonHiro

PostPosted: Thu Nov 25, 2010 2:59 pm Reply with quote
You know... here's a thought: maybe they don't how the mother's soul is inside the Eva because this time it's NOT inside the Eva? This is a whole new show, not a remake.
PS: I'm convergent.
Charred Knight

PostPosted: Thu Nov 25, 2010 5:36 pm Reply with quote
My understanding of the movie and last two episodes is that the contents of the movie take place, when instrumentality starts we get a more in depth look through episode 25, and 26. Shinji rejects instrumentality (the scene where everyone claps) then Shinji finds himself in front of Asuka who he chokes to check if she's real (understandable considering Asuka was eaten by the MP Evas), then she says, "This is disgusting" considering the masturbation scene earlier.

Considering that its flat out stated that people are going to come back then its pretty safe to assume, that Japan will rebuild, and Shinji having conquered his problems will grow up to be a well adjusted adult unlike the adults in his life.

Most of the confusion seem to have been caused by a combination of people over thinking, and changes brought on by budget problems.
Zin5ki

PostPosted: Thu Nov 25, 2010 5:52 pm Reply with quote
starvtwalker wrote:
I cannot think of a more life affirming action or film than End of Evangelion. Just awesome.

Towards almost everything of significance in Evangelion, one finds amongst the fanbase reactions so diverse ans dissimilar. Indeed, one is almost spurred to praise the show simply for its propensity to divide.

The case in question demonstrates this quaint quality to the franchise. Quite unlike you, I struggle to think of anything quite so downbeat as The End of Evangelion.

Whilst word is given that the destitute scene with which the film ends is not as bleak as it may seem — that is to say, we are told that others will return — the franchise's final image is still barren and prima facie hopeless. All the optimistic viewer can cling to is their faith that mankind will build upon its ordeal, for the sight of others accepting an imperfect life over its grotesque alternative (and thereby joining Shinji and Askua on earth) is, almost painfully, left off-camera.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
_Scythe_

PostPosted: Thu Nov 25, 2010 6:16 pm Reply with quote
I think the weapons would be science fiction. Sure its not factual, but its something to move the plot along. Bashing the weapons is kinda like bashing the lightsaber in star wars. Yes its impossible to have a laser say "so" long, but that's why its called science fiction.

I do agree about the characters, at least thats why I watched evangelion.

As for endings I go with they go together. They are both good endings and I think they compliment each other making each one easier to understand. The series ending had more of an internal struggle as instrumentality already happened. It even shows some clips that are put into a better view when seen in End of Evangelion. While End of Evangelion shows us what happened before the events of instrumentality.

As for crosses and Religious symbols I would say its there but its not detrimental to your outcome of the series. A cross/crucifix was used as punishment well before jesus was nailed to it. In fact it was one of the largest forms of capital punishment for centuries. Seele overall seemed to be the ones who pushed much of the Religious symbolism since they were fallowing a religious text the dead sea scrolls.
bemused Bohemian

PostPosted: Thu Nov 25, 2010 10:25 pm Reply with quote
I read Evangelion manga from a site (since banned from existence) to try to piece together some of the loose ends in the anime series. Infrequent visits to the Wikipedia site was also insightful re backstory. As disjointed as this show was I found NGE quite intriguing from the psychotheraputic point of view.

This series made me appreciate all those undergrad psych courses I had to endure several years ago while working toward a Masters degree in Guidance & Counseling. Rather than bore everyone here with psychobabble analyzing NGE I suggest you just skim through some texts re Adolescent Development, Adolescent Physiology, Depression in children & adults, Family Therapy, Cognitive Therapy when you have the time. Information gleaned from these tomes should form the bases of a good foundation "explaining" the motives and psyche of both the main and ancillary characters in the storyline. Happy reading.

It was interesting listening to this and the previous week's ANN discussion sessions from other POV. This is an excellent series to dissect.
_Scythe_

PostPosted: Thu Nov 25, 2010 11:45 pm Reply with quote
Well evangelion plays on the trope and real life that there is no real psychological help in japan. That is reflected by japan having the largest suicide rate in the world, at least last I heard.
The Eva Monkey

PostPosted: Fri Nov 26, 2010 12:50 am Reply with quote
_Scythe_ wrote:
Well evangelion plays on the trope and real life that there is no real psychological help in japan. That is reflected by japan having the largest suicide rate in the world, at least last I heard.

It's up there, but it isn't the worst:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_suicide_rate

In Japan's case, there's a lot of factors to be considered. Culturally, the concept of psychiatric help is kind of lost on them as I understand. But that's not the real root of the problem. The biggest contributing factor that I would point out, is the way in which, despite the crowded nature of the country, they live their lives more and more detached from each other. Throw in a recession that never really went away, a culture that pressures both conformity and the need to excel, and a lack of an entrenched religion that damns the act of suicide, and you have a surprisingly potent mixture for suicide. It's gotten worse in the last 5 years because of the internet and online suicide clubs. That is by far the strangest part of it all, that despite wanting to die, the Japanese just can't commit the act alone, they want to die with someone else with them, even if they are a stranger.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Fri Nov 26, 2010 2:17 am Reply with quote
To me, Evangelion was always about (mis)communication, and how we never are able to really get our intentions across because we're afraid of hurting ourselves, being rejected, and the like. Humanity can't communicate with the Angels, humanity can't communicate with itself, Shinji can't communicate with his father or Asuka or Rei the way he'd like to, spoiler[and in the EoE, with everyone combined, it becomes a problem of being able to separate oneself from others. Instrumentality didn't help people communicate, it made it pointless, because it becomes a world where you can't even be yourself anymore.]

My thoughts on the Rebuild movies are, they're very beautiful, production-wise, and I appreciate streamlining some of the elements of the series, but I feel like instead of the problem of the TV series where sometimes it feels like the director is trying to impress you with how clever and well-read he is, now he's trying too hard to be a crowd-pleaser. You get all these scenes where the characters are shaped into the kind of characters a lot of people bitched that the characters weren't in the TV series. It feels a bit like a cop-out at times. It removes a lot of subtlety in favor of flashy heroics and goes out of its way to lord its production values as if to assure the viewer that no, this time there won't be any budget problems and it won't be so confusing, but then it comes off as being a little paint-by-numbers in its direction. Evangelion shouldn't have to try to be a crowd-pleaser. Whether or not the crowd is standing and cheering for Shinji is utterly meaningless. Evangelion isn't that type of story. Trying to paint it as such seems folly.

Ultimately, I don't know how this series of movies will turn out or what direction it will take, and so these are my feelings after seeing the first two entries. I do in fact enjoy some of the different things about 2.0, but I feel like it's not saying as much as the TV series was.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Fri Nov 26, 2010 3:58 am Reply with quote
Charred Knight wrote:
Considering that its flat out stated that people are going to come back then its pretty safe to assume, that Japan will rebuild, and Shinji having conquered his problems will grow up to be a well adjusted adult unlike the adults in his life.

Wait, WAIT, WHAT? Shinji has conquered all his problems and will grow up to be well adjusted? Are you kidding me? No way. Shinji is still colossally fucked up at the end. I'd say that's the whole point of Evangelion though. Him rejecting instrumentality is not some indication that he's magically dealt with all his problems. That would be absurd. His rejection of instrumentality is simply him taking the very preliminary first step. Shinji fears being hurt by others. He has sought to live in a world safe of this danger. However, to want to live in such a way is essentially to want to not exist as an individual. Yet Shinji chooses individuality and thus accepts the fact that living as an individual among others inherently opens you up to being hurt by those others. However, he also realizes that it is at least possible to be happy existing as an individual. That's the point of the whole little fantasy life segment. He accepts that though this is not reality, it is at least a possible reality. As such, it is at least possible to be happy. Hence, he chooses individual existence over instrumentality. That doesn't by any means guarantee that everything is all better and that Shinji is going to go on to have a happy normal life. If that were the case, it would completely make what Shinji has come to terms with moot. He is choosing individuality not because it guarantees happiness but because he accepts that it is better to exist with others in such a world and risk being hurt. To say that he'll surely grow up to be a healthy, well adjusted guy is to suggest that he does not face such a risk. In reality, especially if we're talking about EoE, Shinji is still in a horrible situation and probably a pretty messed up guy. However, he has decided that to live in such a way is preferable to instrumentality.
Charred Knight

PostPosted: Fri Nov 26, 2010 6:41 am Reply with quote
Shinji deals with his biggest problem his inability to deal with life. Does that guarantee a happy life? No, there is no guarantee's in life, to suggest otherwise would be silly. Do I think his going to end up like Misato and Gendo? No, I think Shinji has shown the strength to overcome any problem that comes his way.
Yorozuya

PostPosted: Fri Nov 26, 2010 9:21 am Reply with quote
only ever seen the first episode and I do plan to watch it at some point so I'll be skipping out on this one so I don't get spoiled Very Happy
_Scythe_

PostPosted: Fri Nov 26, 2010 5:37 pm Reply with quote
The Eva Monkey wrote:
_Scythe_ wrote:

It's up there, but it isn't the worst:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_suicide_rate

In Japan's case, there's a lot of factors to be considered. Culturally, the concept of psychiatric help is kind of lost on them as I understand. But that's not the real root of the problem. The biggest contributing factor that I would point out, is the way in which, despite the crowded nature of the country, they live their lives more and more detached from each other. Throw in a recession that never really went away, a culture that pressures both conformity and the need to excel, and a lack of an entrenched religion that damns the act of suicide, and you have a surprisingly potent mixture for suicide. It's gotten worse in the last 5 years because of the internet and online suicide clubs. That is by far the strangest part of it all, that despite wanting to die, the Japanese just can't commit the act alone, they want to die with someone else with them, even if they are a stranger.

That sounds about right. Even back in the days of samurai they had a guy with them to cut their head off after preforming seppuku*sp. But that was more to end their suffering from cutting open their stomachs. There are also the facts that japan has poor funding for public schools which is why most anime focus on kids going to private schools.

Shinji says many times that he wants to die, but this is more of a pity party. At least until EOE when he looses the will to live and waits for the army to kill him and has misato drag him.

As for Asuka and the whole "suicide attempt" I think it was rusty/dirty water. There was broken glass around the tub but I think that was just form the building being destroyed.
Giggos

PostPosted: Fri Nov 26, 2010 8:13 pm Reply with quote
This is about Evangelion, not just the anime and The end of evangelion but also the remake. I was suprised Mari wasent mentioned even once in regards to the character aspects.
braves

PostPosted: Fri Nov 26, 2010 8:22 pm Reply with quote
Giggos wrote:
This is about Evangelion, not just the anime and The end of evangelion but also the remake. I was suprised Mari wasent mentioned even once in regards to the character aspects.
I think they wanted to avoid spoilers for the second movie since it hasn't been released over here. That's why they talked about specific events in 1.0, but not 2.0.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Giggos

PostPosted: Fri Nov 26, 2010 8:27 pm Reply with quote
braves wrote:
Giggos wrote:
I think they wanted to avoid spoilers for the second movie since it hasn't been released over here. That's why they talked about specific events in 1.0, but not 2.0.

Makes total sense! Thanks for the reply Smile
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5