• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Viz Media to Release First Death Note DVD in November

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Zalis116

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2007 8:37 pm Reply with quote
unsinkmbrown wrote:
Now take into account the cost of buying all those DVDs.

9 discs - $225 reg, $360 LE
10 discs - $250 reg, $400 LE
11 discs - $275 reg, $440 LE
12 discs - $300 reg, $480 LE

I might just stick to the downloads $2 each for 37 eps = $74. I'm a dub fan, but I don't see it being worth 3 times as much to get the DVDs. I also don't have the shelf space to devote to (worst case) up to 12 cases for only one series.

I will be so happy on the day the anime companies begin to release anime like any other TV series in the US: one case, usually no more than 6 DVDs, priced (although this is probably too much to ask) at an average of $50. I think anime would sell so much better under those circumstances.
But that's assuming you pay that MSRP of $25. If you get them all at a RighStuf Viz sale with the GotAnime discount, that's $121.50 for 9, $135 for 10, etc. And while I suppose DN is worthwhile to get on DVD, I'm not a big enough fan to get the figurines, so there's some money saved there.

And as has been covered in some AnswerMan columns and other threads, anime companies need to sell series as single discs first to cover the production costs from volume to volume and pay the licensing fees. Occasionally there are series like Avenger, The World of Narue, and the 2nd season of Super Gals that get released initially as boxed sets, so buy those
DKL wrote:
Uh... just head over to their site and e-mail to tell them what you want (good video quality, soft subs, etc.); hell, we can all send the same e-mail message.
I don't think Viz has had a problem lately with hardsubs, not counting the digital retouching / overlays on Bleach. What I would like to see Viz do is to actually translate the songs -- yeah, some Viz DVDs do have song translation, but some don't. I can't think of any other company where the Vegas odds are 50/50 on having song subtitles.

Also, it would be nice if the subtitles actually corresponded to what the characters were saying in Japanese, instead of the English dub, which is another occasional Viz issue. And then there's the large amounts of onscreen text, another area in which Viz has always been weak. I'm sure Funimation can tell them how well the "Ignore onscreen text and hope nobody notices that the fansubs did better" approach worked with that last episode of Rumbling Hearts.
DKL

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2007 9:42 pm Reply with quote
Zalis116: Well, again... we could e-mail VIZ in mass numbers with the same message if we wanted to get them to do stuff...

Maybe it might not work with smaller shows, but it might with something like Death Note...

That said...

Uh... who'll make the e-mail I can copy and send?

Yeah, I'm kinda lazy to make one myself...

Max power wrote:
It looks like most people's fears have come to fruishion Mad. The English dub sounds terrible!

I dunno... Doesn't like everybody always say that?

Anyway, if this is going to Canada, then I'm happy with it; the place is on fire right now.

(not literally)

Well, as far as all the Canadian dubs I'm listening to anyway.
population_tire

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2007 9:53 pm Reply with quote
im going to start buying stuff from rightstuf instead of hot topic! thanks whoever reccomended it. Shocked

they're cheap!
Paploo

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2007 10:01 pm Reply with quote
FYI---

Individually written, POLITE e-mails would work a LOT better then a form letter sent enmasse.

And sending letters through the mail would work even better [companies still include those mail-in response cards with their dvd's for a reason]

And yup, it's an Ocean dub. Anyone who bases clearly uses the "Jump to Conclusions" mat too much. I'm more for wait and see, with a bit of leaning to "it'll be great!" given how well Ocean dubs usually turn out, many of their preferred actors having lengthy voice actor experience in both anime and domestic animation.
DKL

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2007 10:11 pm Reply with quote
Paploo wrote:
FYI---

Individually written, POLITE e-mails would work a LOT better then a form letter sent enmasse.

But how about one well-written polite e-mail sent enmasse?

Right?

... no?

I dunno; I'd better get off my ass soon and write something...
Ashen Phoenix

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2007 12:20 am Reply with quote
You_Wa_Shock wrote:
Finally. This is what I've been waiting for. Now I won't have to do that digital download crap that Viz is offering.

Same here! I'm really excited to hear the dub's preformance (though it'll be tough to top Kappei Yamaguchi for L's voice. He's such a diverse seiyuu). Anime catgrin
unsinkmbrown

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2007 1:02 am Reply with quote
Zalis116 wrote:
But that's assuming you pay that MSRP of $25. If you get them all at a RighStuf Viz sale with the GotAnime discount, that's $121.50 for 9, $135 for 10, etc. And while I suppose DN is worthwhile to get on DVD, I'm not a big enough fan to get the figurines, so there's some money saved there.

And as has been covered in some AnswerMan columns and other threads, anime companies need to sell series as single discs first to cover the production costs from volume to volume and pay the licensing fees. Occasionally there are series like Avenger, The World of Narue, and the 2nd season of Super Gals that get released initially as boxed sets, so buy those

Yeah, I know it's a pipe dream. Sad Doesn't stop me from wishing it was feasible. I really like the idea of downloadable episodes. If they make the dub available, I might do that to save money.

I looked at the trailer Max power posted and I agree Light's acting doesn't sound very good. That could be due to bad editing and not a bad dub, though. I'll reserve my judgment until I actually see a dubbed episode.
Raven Shinobi

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2007 1:55 am Reply with quote
I wonder why Viz has taken this long to release the DVDs after months since acquiring the license. Unless the figurines that we're going to get are the cute "chibified" ones like what came with the JP release of Ouran then I would've preferred something else like pencil boards, sountracks, artbooks and such since they could give us some poor quality figuirines with ugly design like what came with the SE of Scrapped Princess.

If the dub was of the same quality as that of Shana, then we can be reassured that it's going to be a good dub. I think Ocean should use the same technique that Bandai did when dubbing Haruhi and just hire the best actors that the company has without any new comers.
Kitakaze

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2007 4:06 am Reply with quote
Heck yea!! I've been waiting a loooong time for the release date of the first DVD of Death Note! Can't wait!! It's makes me more excited!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
penguintruth

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2007 4:35 am Reply with quote
The hell with figurines - I want Near's finger puppets.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Paploo

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2007 5:21 am Reply with quote
DKL wrote:
Paploo wrote:
FYI---

But how about one well-written polite e-mail sent enmasse?

Right?

... no?

I dunno; I'd better get off my ass soon and write something...

Viz isn't big enough that a form letter would go unnoticed, especially if it were sent in the 100's. If a person keeps noticing that people are sending the same e-mail, over and over again, they'd start suspecting it was automated/spam of some sort. It's not that hard for everyone to forward their own e-mail to VIZ, and if each e-mail is individual, and distinct, the comments would be taken more seriously [the more time you appear to take the more seriously you'll be taken- it shows you cared, which counts for a lot]
Paploo

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2007 5:28 am Reply with quote
Raven Shinobi wrote:
I wonder why Viz has taken this long to release the DVDs after months since acquiring the license. Unless the figurines that we're going to get are the cute "chibified" ones like what came with the JP release of Ouran then I would've preferred something else like pencil boards, sountracks, artbooks and such since they could give us some poor quality figuirines with ugly design like what came with the SE of Scrapped Princess.

If the dub was of the same quality as that of Shana, then we can be reassured that it's going to be a good dub. I think Ocean should use the same technique that Bandai did when dubbing Haruhi and just hire the best actors that the company has without any new comers.

I seriously doubt corners are getting cut- Ocean has a stable pool of actors, and will probably cast whoever suits which role the best. We'll probably get a solid dub that some people like, some people don't like, some people like only parts of. Which always happens whatever language it's in.

The figures look to be something along the lines of trading figures, like little statues, though I can't seem to find exactly how big they are- still, we're basically getting a mirror of the Japanese release. As the japanese release didn't have pencilboards/soundtracks/etc, I don't think we'll be seeing those.

Still, it wouldn't stop VIZ from trying later on if they want to make some kind of crazy ultra deluxe expensive edition [or from licensing the soundtrack themselves or to Geneon's CD division]

I imagine we'll definitely see a flood of Death Note merchandise either way, packaged with the dvd's or not- VIZ deals with Great Eastern a lot, so plushies are a definite possibility.
Max power

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2007 7:27 am Reply with quote
So are people saying this ( http://deathnote.viz.com/trailer_popup.php?t=3 ) is not the final dub... if so this makes me very happy.

Last edited by Max power on Fri Jun 29, 2007 1:05 pm; edited 2 times in total
population_tire

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2007 10:33 am Reply with quote
i can't decide...get the first 13 episodes subbed from a website I know for $30

or get volume 1 dub with figure for $40

*Sigh* I guess there's always eBay for the figures....

Max power wrote:
So are people saying this (http://deathnote.viz.com/trailer_popup.php?t=3) is not the final dub... if so this makes me very happy.

I'd hope not. He never once says "Lawlz i have da power and im not afraid 2 kill lolololz"
Jedi General

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2007 10:53 am Reply with quote
Finally, a release date is given! And as an added bonus, the DVDs will be release monthly! Big ups to Viz for releasing monthly.

Zalis116 wrote:
I was kind of hoping to see 5 episodes on the first DVD, as that would've been more promising for those who want more value and a lower disc count. As it stands, we probably won't see this in 8 discs, as that would need to have 6 discs * 5 per disc + 1*4 + 1*3 = 37. So we could see

8*4 + 1*5 = 37 on 9, or
7*4 + 3*3 = 37 on 10, or
4*4 + 7*3 = 37 on 11, or in what would probably be worst case scenario,
1*4 + 11*3 = 37 on 12.

I thought the first DVD would be 5 episodes also making for the 9 DVD total (since having only 8 DVDs is pushing it). We can only hope that there will be a 5 episode DVD somewhere in the middle or at the very end perhaps.

As for the LEs though, I probably will pass on those. As much as I love DN, I don't think it's really worth it. I'm not really into figurines all that much.

EDIT: Now that I think about it, it might be a good idea to have 4 on the first 5 DVDs, then 5 on DVD 6 and then 4 on the remaining 3. I say this because that would end DVD 6 with the huge episode 25.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4