• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
400 Bad Request / timeout

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Bugs & Technical Questions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kyokun703

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2010 3:35 pm Reply with quote
Everything is working for me as well again. Thanks for fixing it, whatever it was!
Kimiko_0

PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2010 9:07 am Reply with quote
Is anyone else having trouble again? I just needed to remove some cookies in order to update MyAnime Confused
kyokun703

PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2010 11:42 am Reply with quote
Yes, I can't post again; it times out on me. Switched to private browsing to post this.
Ktimene's Lover

PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2010 6:04 pm Reply with quote
How is 400 different from 500?
Dan42
Chief Encyclopedist

PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2010 8:43 pm Reply with quote
I honestly have no clue what's going on here. The problem fixed itself after the servers were restarted due to a power outage, and the problem started again after the servers were restarted due to moving to a new facility. It shouldn't matter either way. Personally I haven't experienced a single problem, even with huge cookies and huge posts. Kimiko sent me a request dump and all I can see is that the browser chokes after getting the first line "HTTP/0.9 200 OK" of the response. And HTTP/0.9 *is* weird. I notice that most people posting in this thread seem to be subscribers; could it be a problem on skuld only? Try posting on www. Is the problem only with PHP pages? I found this and this which seem to match the problem; I tried the solution in the second one, let's see if that changes anything. At this point if you still have problems, all I'm left with is a suspicion of network problems, so providing a traceroute could help (tracert <servername>).

Anime cry
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2010 10:24 pm Reply with quote
It seems that the only problems I've experienced thus far were related to the power outage. I've switched to Firefox and so far no problems. I'm going to try posting a large message now (don't worry, if it works I'm going to edit the junk out).
Firefox 3.6.3, posting via Skuld.

--edit--

Well, still no problems.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
enurtsol

PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2010 11:21 pm Reply with quote
Starting only Wed, can't post more than one-liners on talkbacks using fast. and skuld., with Firefox 3.6.3 and IE 8. Cleared cookies and cache. Always "The connection to the server was reset while the page was loading."
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2010 12:01 am Reply with quote
Post edit test.

Last edited by dormcat on Thu May 27, 2010 3:51 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Devil Doll

PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2010 12:10 am Reply with quote
Dan42 wrote:
I notice that most people posting in this thread seem to be subscribers; could it be a problem on skuld only? Try posting on www.
I'm only using www.animenewsnetwork.com, and I had the problem only once recently.
When the issue occurred for me it hit while loading a forum posting which looked broken in layout (i. e. apparently the HTTP request for the CSS style sheet was the first one to get a HTTP-400... so much about the "PHP only" theory).
While the problem was there it affected each and every page on the ANN site (including database contribution, search functions etc.); after deleting the cookies everything worked again (which may of course have been a coincidence).

Dan42 wrote:
The problem fixed itself after the servers were restarted due to a power outage, and the problem started again after the servers were restarted due to moving to a new facility. It shouldn't matter either way.
Any potential network bottleneck in the new facility? (Router, proxy, whatever.) I don't consider the ANN server the most likely candidate for causing a HTTP-400.

Ktimene's Lover wrote:
How is 400 different from 500?
HTTP-400 is the detection of a malformed HTTP request which refers to the HTTP headers only. The HTTP protocol version, the method (GET/POST), the browser name, the referer header, the file types accepted by the browser, the user's preferred language, the cookies etc. are potential candidates for an issue (hence me wondering about potentially overly long cookies), that's why using a different browser or even changing the local browser configuration (which can lead to some HTTP headers being sent with different content or not being sent at all) can make a difference here.
The HTTP body (i. e. the text of a forum posting sent to the ANN server) is no such HTTP header, thus the issue should not be related to the size of the posted text. HTTP bodies can be huge without causing a problem on a server, e. g. file uploads are done this way. If the size of the message text actually makes a difference then I would check for resource shortages on your client machine, i. e. reboot your PC resp. local router etc.
HTTP-400 would normally be detected when the web server software receives the request and tries to decide what to do with it, i. e. long before any specific software (such as the forum at ANN or any database application) were invoked to handle the request. If the web server cannot parse the HTTP headers then it cannot even find out what the client (browser) actually wanted, and stops processing this particular request (sending the corresponding response code to inform the client about this issue). The code doesn't say anything where the actual cause of the problem lies; imagine a resource shortage on either the client or the server, or someone in between changing the content of the request (such as a router, a proxy, an anti-virus package, a firewall, some of the latter are known for meddling with HTTP headers for their own purpose), all of these could lead to broken HTTP headers arriving at the web server software. HTTP-400 is an ugly beast.

HTTP-500 is the detection of an internal server error. This usually happens when an application on the server (such as the forum, an ANN database process, or any server-side script) returns an "unsuccessful termination" to the web server (which invoked said application for the purpose of handling the request), or when the web server configuration contains errors that lead to the web server being unable to fulfill its task of handling the request (in which case the effect wouldn't be sporadic).
As this can happen in a myriad of situations (depending on all the software installed on the server) it is a much less specific error code. But at least as it's not HTTP-400 the HTTP headers most likely have already been parsed (e. g. for finding out which URL is being requested, which authorizations are to be used etc.) and thus the problem occurs somewhere later in the processing chain. Resource shortages on the server could be a typical cause for a sporadic HTTP-500, thus an error of this kind may well vanish after a server restart and not reappear for a while (making its true cause only harder to detect, unfortunately). But in most cases a HTTP-500 is reproducible and the reason for it lies on the server side (such as a software change there).

The web server error log file may provide information about the circumstances of the error, the requested URL, the application to be invoked and whatnot; the web server could even be configured to log each and every HTTP header for every request (but at the expense of a huge log file on the server which would be unnecessary most of the time, thus Dan42's script for specifically logging the cookies of the HTTP headers only when you apparently can reproduce the error situation is a much more efficient way of getting debug information - with the slight disadvantage that it doesn't log the particular request that actually triggered the error which can make a difference when the effect is sporadic. e.g. when the exact URL would be part of the issue, a cookie content or even the browser cache content changed in the meantime etc.; most other parts of the HTTP header will be the same for every request being sent).

Last edited by Devil Doll on Thu May 27, 2010 10:17 am; edited 1 time in total
Kimiko_0

PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2010 9:44 am Reply with quote
Dan - traceroute and ping to skuld/fast work just fine. Like I said before, I can't try out urd/bel/www because the form on the subscription page to change the auto-redirect option is too large→timeout. I've also already tried restarting everything on my end (browser, modem, computer), and my ISP shows no maintenance is going on currently.
Dan42
Chief Encyclopedist

PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2010 10:19 am Reply with quote
[cryptic techno babble]
I tried changing the forum post form's enctype to multipart/form-data
[/cryptic techno babble]

Did that help?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
PetrifiedJello

PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2010 3:37 pm Reply with quote
Dan42 wrote:
Did that help?

Nope. I can easily view pages, but submitting is difficult. I'm at home now, and it looks like I can now submit. Changed to "www." from "fast.", but it's still pretty slow.

Sent some info via email and hope it helps.
chefneer
Aria Company

PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2010 5:14 pm Reply with quote
It just did it to me again. I was unable to load the forums, got the "unable to load web page" message instead. It's been working fine for the last couple of days.

This time I cleared temporary internet files, but not cookies, and it seems to be working OK. For now anyway.

Browser: IE 8.0

Operating System: Windows @%$*&# Vista

Server: Skuld
Spastic Minnow
Bargain Hunter
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2010 5:46 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, I've been trying to post something all day (saved it) and timing out with the "unable to load web page" message in IE and just a blank page in Firefox. These short messages seem to work though.... not that the other one is super long, just a couple paragraphs.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Dan42
Chief Encyclopedist

PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2010 6:39 pm Reply with quote
Dan42 wrote:
[cryptic techno babble]
I tried changing the forum post form's enctype to multipart/form-data
[/cryptic techno babble]

Apparently that made things worse so I reversed it. Now using
Code:
listen       80  default  rcvbuf=64K  sndbuf=64K
Does that help?

Last edited by Dan42 on Thu May 27, 2010 6:49 pm; edited 1 time in total
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Bugs & Technical Questions All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 4 of 6