• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Space Dandy (TV) (both seasons).

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Sun Jan 05, 2014 3:45 pm Reply with quote
Apparently the dub script changes a lot of story elements later on in the show as well, as Bahi JD tweeted (he deletes his tweets, but he did say it). Sub it is.
bahamut623

PostPosted: Sun Jan 05, 2014 4:20 pm Reply with quote
I normally love Funi dubs, but there was something slightly off about this one. The dialogue itself was actually really funny, but the performance needed a bit more. I thought the autotune voiced robot was cute, though.

I wouldn't quite consider this a fanservice show (yet). Depends on where other episodes go. The breastaurant scene felt like more of a tongue-in-cheek thing than straight up fanservice. It felt more funny than skeevy to me.

The first half was amusing, but the second half was kind of amazing. I'm surprised none of you are really talking about it. That whole scene on the alien planet was a joy to watch. I'll keep watching for more of that. Overall, a pretty good first episode. I'm definitely looking forward to more, and to the dub finding its way.
danilo07

PostPosted: Sun Jan 05, 2014 4:34 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
The first half was amusing, but the second half was kind of amazing. I'm surprised none of you are really talking about it. That whole scene on the alien planet was a joy to watch. I'll keep watching for more of that. Overall, a pretty good first episode. I'm definitely looking forward to more, and to the dub finding its way.

Yeah,it was definitely one of the best animated scenes I have seen in a long time.
First episode was really fun and amusing,the entire thing was just a parody of science fiction material present in 70s and 80s.Which is why I was not bothered by fanservice at all,really if it didn't include that element I would have been confused as to what it was trying to achieve.
Quote:
Apparently the dub script changes a lot of story elements later on in the show as well, as Bahi JD tweeted (he deletes his tweets, but he did say it). Sub it is.

I can't say I am surprised knowing on what rushed schedule they are working on.
yoshiyukiblade

PostPosted: Sun Jan 05, 2014 4:34 pm Reply with quote
I'm not totally on board with this yet. Seems like crazy cartoon hijinks from back in the day, mixed with boobs. I'll give it a few more to see if this'll be my cup of tea or not.
Melanchthon

PostPosted: Sun Jan 05, 2014 4:35 pm Reply with quote
I liked the beginning, the pointless rant about ass vice boobs was great and reminded of the stupid conversations in Lucky Star, only more obscene. The space Hooters was rather lame, and dragged on far too long. But then the second half... Saints Above, that was hilarious. I was almost in tears laughing. And it was the little parts that made in great, like when Dandy twirls his gun to holster it and instead sends in flying behind him, and then completly ignores that it just happened. The whole absurd, pointless space adventure theme is very similar to that of Galaxy Angel, one of my favorites. In fact this is like an adult version of Galaxy Angel made while on psychotropic drugs (Galaxy Angel had a lot of Negative Continuity as well, in a number of episodes all the characters got killed or they blew up the space station and/or entire galaxy).

So more surreal craziness and less Hooters in space, and I think we have a winner here.
vashfanatic

PostPosted: Sun Jan 05, 2014 5:16 pm Reply with quote
bahamut623 wrote:

Even the first half wasn't all fanservice - the alien designs in this are creative and use the full potential of anime to have creatures that look like whatever you want. To say nothing of the Gogol Empire and its giant spaceship shaped like the Statue of Liberty with a ball-gag. You spend way more time watching that than T&A in the first half.

Just watched the Japanese language version on Hulu. While I still like the English QT, I prefer the rest of the cast in the Japanese. Also, it doesn't have the stupid "to infinity and beyond" joke, which fell flat.

Lyrics of the complete ending theme may hold the key to upcoming episodes: spoiler["The alternate worlds will always be parallel / It's enough to blow my mind."]
Knoepfchen

PostPosted: Sun Jan 05, 2014 5:47 pm Reply with quote
How epic randomness can be if done like this. Cool That finale was quite something.

Suwabe and Yoshino make a great duo. Meow's design is really cool as well. I love the visuals and the nostalgic feel they give off. The OP and ED sequences were very stylish as well.

I'm definitely on board for this.
NJ_

PostPosted: Sun Jan 05, 2014 6:20 pm Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
Apparently the dub script changes a lot of story elements later on in the show as well, as Bahi JD tweeted (he deletes his tweets, but he did say it).

This one was saved and posted elsewhere

http://shrani.si/f/2y/10I/4IAbavPj/dubsux.png

and he explained it a bit further on his Tumblr.

http://bahijd.tumblr.com/post/72366702059/so-as-someone-who-worked-on-the-show-i-would-like
getchman
He started it

PostPosted: Sun Jan 05, 2014 6:27 pm Reply with quote
I cant think of a way to say Alien Hunter so that it begins with a "U" in English so it would match up with the Japanese dialogue. seems extremely nit-picky
braves

PostPosted: Sun Jan 05, 2014 6:35 pm Reply with quote
getchman wrote:
I can't think of a way to say Alien Hunter so that it begins with a "U" in English so it would match up with the Japanese dialogue. seems extremely nit-picky
It's not that it needed to be a word that started with a "u". It's that Honey's answer to the question needed to be sarcastic instead of being a typical airhead response (hence, why he posted the alternate translation there and compared to the English dub). It changes the characterization of somebody who's going to turn to be a recurring character. It's a subtle change, but it just goes to show that the script adaptation needs to be more carefully done (albeit, I think they did good enough job given the time constraints).
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
CrowLia

PostPosted: Sun Jan 05, 2014 6:35 pm Reply with quote
I don't think that's the point. He originally says that the Funi subs (with Honey responding "Ass") are fine because she's sarcastically insulting him (or smth like that) while the Toonami dub (she responds "asteroid belt") just makes her look stupid which is not the character trait they were going for. It's still somehow nitpicky (especially since all the descriptions of her character are "she's airheaded and has big boobies") but I suppose it's somehow valid if the show plans to expand on her beyond her being a stupid waitress in the Boobies restaurant
Rahxephon91

PostPosted: Sun Jan 05, 2014 7:11 pm Reply with quote
Just another example of how crappy Funi is.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime
My Name's Not Rick!

PostPosted: Sun Jan 05, 2014 7:16 pm Reply with quote
oh noes! not a 1 to 1 transition, it deviates a bit! blasphemy! funimation, you are the root of all evil!!!!!
Thatguy3331

PostPosted: Sun Jan 05, 2014 7:19 pm Reply with quote
Space dandy's first episode didn't blow my mind but I did like most of what I saw. Personally I found the dub version to be the funnier version however I will try to see the second half of the episode in subs, especially since the dub script appears to change a few details that will be important later on (having read the post I still don't understand why this is the case but oh well...) I hope the next episodes are more crazy!
Rahxephon91

PostPosted: Sun Jan 05, 2014 7:24 pm Reply with quote
My Name's Not Rick! wrote:
oh noes! not a 1 to 1 transition, it deviates a bit! blasphemy! funimation, you are the root of all evil!!!!!
No one's asking for a 1 on 1 translation since thats possibly the worst thing to do. What I'm asking for is a localization that dosen't miss the point and isn't voiced by try hard hacks which every Funi dub sounds like.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 4 of 24