• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Yet Another Hidden Haruhi Suzumiya VA Poll

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Wolverine Princess

PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2007 3:12 am Reply with quote
No contest here at all, it's number one all the way for Haruhi. Number two was too cutesy, three reminded me of a narrator for an early-morning children's show on the Disney channel, four was too old, and five wasn't cute enough.

Wow, it looks like I voted for the most popular audition for everyone except Yuki. (But the one who is winning was my next favorite choice, so I'm okay with that.) It looks like The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya is going to have an excellent dub!
MorwenLaicoriel

PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2007 3:13 am Reply with quote
darkchibi07 wrote:
I thought #2 sounded like Melissa Fahn. Though I didn't expect Kari Wahlgren to sound THIS good! Shocked

Sounded like her to me too, until the last bit in the clip...then she starts to sound like Sakura (Kate Higgins) to me. I think it's probably Kate HIggins...whoever it is, though, they're really good.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address My Anime My Manga
youkai_ronin

PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2007 3:14 am Reply with quote
MorwenLaicoriel wrote:
quigonkenny wrote:
Yay Haruhi poll.

Boo removal of the other polls.

I hadn't heard any of the Kyon voices...

If I'm reading the front page right, it'll be back tomorrow...

I'm stumped on who to vote for...*goes to listen to the voices more times*

I hear ya, I can't really figure out who to vote for they all sound pretty good. Actually having listened to it another 5 times Razz I think I'm going to go for 1, 2, or 3. Ugh this'll take my sleep away Wink
darkchibi07

PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2007 3:18 am Reply with quote
MorwenLaicoriel wrote:
darkchibi07 wrote:
I thought #2 sounded like Melissa Fahn. Though I didn't expect Kari Wahlgren to sound THIS good! Shocked

Sounded like her to me too, until the last bit in the clip...then she starts to sound like Sakura (Kate Higgins) to me. I think it's probably Kate HIggins...whoever it is, though, they're really good.

After hearing it a couple times, I'm starting to hear "Sakura" vibes out of that clip so it's more likely Kate Higgins.
rpgmaster1

PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2007 3:19 am Reply with quote
Kriz wrote:
rpgmaster1 wrote:
#1 is Kari Wahlgren
#2 is Stephanie Sheh
#3 is Michelle Ruff
#4 is Kate Higgins
#5 is Wendee Lee

This is for the Haruhi poll. I think I got these five right.

switch kate higgins with stephanie sheh, and you've got it right, for the first four at least. I dunno about number 5.

Heh, you're right. I must've watch that Naruto Year's Eve marathon. Looks like Stephanie Sheh sounds completely different from the other voice auditions, so she probably goes by the alias Jennifer Sekiguchi. It's really different from the other characters she acted in and goes for the bossy tone (kind of like Mamimi from FLCL). Like Eureka 7, Kadokawa and Bandai Entertainment will give this series special attention and will be fully union. Link is here for Haruhi voice auditions: http://asosbrigade.com/auditions/ah.php
Richard J.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2007 3:29 am Reply with quote
I went with 5 myself, but 1 is excellent as well. Number 5 seemed more alive
to me and I felt that the actress seemed to have a slightly better grasp of
Haruhi's personality. Maybe it was just how she put more emphasis
on "transfer student" instead of "mysterious." Also, she seemed to have the
strongest voice and Haruhi is a strong-willed character.

Number 1 was also great, but she seemed a little too cutesy. Haruhi should
sound a tad more bossy.

I couldn't hear any of the others coming out of the the character's mouth. None
of the other voices seemed right at all to me.
Malintex Terek

PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2007 3:29 am Reply with quote
I also chose #1, with #3 and then #5 following as a runner up; I must say, though, that all of those auditions were fantastic.

It would appear that Californa has no shortage of talent in female voice actresses...their range, delivery, and adaptability are all very impressive. In comparison, the male auditions were quite disappointing.

I do not think they have been removed, but they are possibly closed.
MorwenLaicoriel

PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2007 3:36 am Reply with quote
Hmm. Well, here's my thoughts.....This one is a lot harder since it seems like a lot of the voices would do very well, and since I haven't seen the series, ti's a little harder for me to pick when it's so close....but I've tried my best to read enough about the character.

#4--I don't think they're quite energetic enough.
#3 sounds pretty good...I do'nt have any reason *not* to like her, but she doesn't stand out to me as well as some of the other performances do.
At first I was going to go with #2, but I think she's not quite....stubborn/bossy sounding enough. She comes across as more whiny, which I don't think is quite right.
#5 is really good. I like how enthusiastic she sounds about the "mysterious transfer student". Anime hyper But...
#1 is definantely the one I'm going with. The voice tone is great, and I love the off-hand way she says "No, such a thing is just unnatural." I think it really matches with how stubborn Haruhi's character is, so...I'm going with #1. ^^
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address My Anime My Manga
rpgmaster1

PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2007 3:38 am Reply with quote
If you heard Kari Wahlgren as Anemone in Eureka 7, she does sound energetic, cutesy, and bossy towards Dominic. This is what she's going for as Haruhi Suzumiya. Most of the VAs from the other regions moved to California. Sam Regal and Megan Hollingshead (both from NY), Kyle Hebert, Travis Willingham, and Daemon Clarke (all three from TX worked for Funimation). They want to make more money, but it's really hard when you live there to pay for living expenses and pay whatever steep fee a year to be in the SAG union. Anime voiceovers are really underpaid and must do multiple recordings to get by. Naruto is unionized, but Viz had to sacrifice the opening and ending songs to get the highly paid voice actors.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2007 3:50 am Reply with quote
I thought they were all surprisingly strong. I was shocked, in fact. Still, I put on my CRITICAL MONOCLE (TM) and tore them new ones, anyway:

#1 (Kari Wahlgren) is great, and was always my number one pick to voice Haruhi in a dub. However, the read she gives, while otherwise excellent, makes Haruhi sound a TAD too "bubbly", like she's some kind of idiot. Haruhi isn't an imbecile or anything, she's just insane and egotistical beyond belief.

#2 (Kate Higgins) (Ninamori?!) strained a tad too much and sounded like she was doing an impression of somebody doing an impression of Haruhi.

#3 (Michelle Ruff) strains too much, too. She sounds like she really needs to use the bathroom.

#4 (Stephanie Sheh) doesn't seem to give a damn about the role. Maybe she wants to be Mikuru or Yuki more?

#5 (Wendee Lee) is awesome, as I expect from Wendee Lee. She has all the right enthusiasm for the role, which I like. Unfortunately, she's past the age for doing teenage voices, and you can clearly hear it. She was a great Faye Valentine, a good Angel, but Haruhi she's not. A bit too adult.

That first "MYSTERIOUS TRANSFER STUDENT" of Lee's captures Haruhi's spirit so well, though!

I'll vote for #1 and secretly hope for #5 in the back of my heart.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
quigonkenny

PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2007 3:51 am Reply with quote
Malintex Terek wrote:
I do not think they have been removed, but they are possibly closed.

Checked my browser cache, and the links to the MP3s for the previous auditions have been removed (I get the asosbrigade.com 404 screen). I'm sure they haven't actually removed the files from the server, as I would imagine they'll probably bring them back at some point, but they're inaccesible by normal means, to say the least.

As for my choice:

1. Kari Wahlgren -- Very good, but the "Hey, Kyon!" needs a little work.

2. Kate Higgins -- Agreed, too cutesy -- might be good for Tsuruya-san, though. Or Imouto-san if she hikes it up a register or two.

3. Michelle Ruff -- Just doesn't sound...right to me. Maybe a little too forced?

4. Stephanie Sheh -- Not manic enough. Besides, she's already Mikuru.

5. Wendee Lee -- A little over the top, but she had the best tone of voice, especially on the last line.

I'll have to agree with most and go with Kari Wahlgren. Once someone other than FUNimation or ADV licensed it, I figured she'd end up as Haruhi, considering her previous work, so I'm not surprised she'd pull it off so well.

I'm actually a little surprised to see Wendee Lee on here, as she has historically done mostly older voices (she has the sexiest true voice ever for a voice actress, as those who have heard the Cowboy Bebop Remix commentary tracks will certainly agree) but she has been doing a lot of younger voices lately. She's kinda my sentimental favorite for Haruhi, but remove the manic edge from the voice she uses here, and she's an absolute lock for Ryoko.

...I don't think I've ever heard the words "transfer student" so often in such a short time in my life.
Richard J.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2007 4:12 am Reply with quote
Malintex Terek wrote:
In comparison, the male auditions were quite disappointing.
I think it's easier for females to get into a character's head.

One thing though: Given the voices we've now heard for Haruhi, it doesn't seem
very likely they'd be dubbing the song she sings. Please correct me if I'm
wrong, but I think Kate's the only one in that group who actually sings. (Again,
if I am wrong about that, please correct me.)

Of course, the best English VA singer out there, in my opinion, is Mary Elizabeth McGlynn,
and she'd never be cast as Haurhi. (Even if she were on the list of choices.)

rpgmaster1 wrote:
If you heard Kari Wahlgren as Anemone in Eureka 7, she does sound energetic,
cutesy, and bossy towards Dominic. This is what she's going for as Haruhi Suzumiya.
Was that comment directed at me? Well, either way, Kari's work in Eureka 7 is
fantastic, but Anemone's way of being bossy has a childishness to it, which
fits her character but I just don't think it would work as well with Haruhi.

*Edited to put the 1 in rpgmaster1.
Nebs

PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2007 4:14 am Reply with quote
I agree that Wendee Lee sounded a bit too old, but otherwise perfect as Haruhi. In truth I didn't expect her to audition at all, & thought that the role would go to Kari. But in the end, I wound up voting for Wendee. ^^
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
Netstryke

PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2007 4:18 am Reply with quote
Ahh geez! This one was tough!!

First off, the deduction of the identities of the VA's on the short list is absolutely spot-on. I heard enough of the L.A. VA's to tell them apart. So excellent work detectives!

As for the choice, it came down to #1 (Kari Wahlgren [supposably]) and # 5 (Wendee Lee....[supposably]) (just coverin' my butt here!)

#1 fits so well in Parallel with Hirano-san., but I felt that pop off of #5 after hearing the clip.

So it's the classic question of go with your head or go with your heart. I'm going with my heart on this one and go with Wendee........er.....#5.

But I definitely wouldn't mind Kari Wahl....er........#1 as Haruhi.
Rªdì¢âl_£Ð

PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2007 4:26 am Reply with quote
Richard J. wrote:
One thing though: Given the voices we've now heard for Haruhi, it doesn't seem
very likely they'd be dubbing the song she sings. Please correct me if I'm
wrong, but I think Kate's the only one in that group who actually sings. (Again,
if I am wrong about that, please correct me.)

Of course, the best English VA singer out there, in my opinion, is Mary Elizabeth McGlynn,
and she'd never be cast as Haurhi. (Even if she were on the list of choices.)

I've never heard Mary McGlynn sing. But if you want a singing Haruhi actress, look no further than Melissa Fahn. Not only can she do the role of Haruhi but she is a trained singer and a damn good one. If we could do a write in, I'd so vote for her. It's unfortunate that she isn't, though.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 4 of 7