• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Library War.

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kyokun703

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2008 11:37 pm Reply with quote
Saw episodes 2 & 3, and I'm still having a good time. I love Kasahara's reaction spoiler[when Tezuka asked her out]. And her friend is great (and sensible). I really like this series and I'm wondering if it'll be okay with such a short season planned.
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2008 12:37 am Reply with quote
The first episode didn't impress me. The premise is more than a little silly but the series is taking it rather seriously. Unfortunately, none of the characters really grabbed me and the episode itself was pretty standard stuff. Of course, its still just in the setup phase, but with everything else I'm watching, I'm not sure if I'm interested enough to bother giving it a second chance.
Skys

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2008 2:36 am Reply with quote
I finished watching episode two and three tonight, and I am continuing to like this series. After watching these episodes I feel like I did not give the conflict a fair chance initially.

At first glance it may indeed seem simple, strange, and even silly disagreement for that matter, but when examined more closely, this is a more solid, reasonable premise. On one side, there are the Media Improvement Forces. They believe in censoring given material for the public's own good. Then, on the opposite side there are the Library Forces with the intent of protecting information for the public. Both causes could be seen as just depending on which perspective one takes. I'm sure both sides can agree that somethings are better of out of publics hands and other things are fine to be public access. I think the middle ground between the two is the greatest reason for disagreement.

All in all, I agree entirely with Mylene's take on this being a form of checks and balances. At least for me, I now feel that conflict is reasonable and not all that fantastic.

Information is the cause of many battles.
Mylene

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2008 8:43 am Reply with quote
I'm really having a heard time wrapping my head around Iku. Thus far, she just annoys the heck out of me. I guess it bothers me when a character in a very serious situation cannot take it seriously at all. I guess I expected her to be more into what she was doing, given that she was following in the footsteps of someone than what she actually is.

Anyway, I just finished episode 2, and while the first half felt pretty painful for me (Iku and I are going to go round and round...) I really enjoyed the insertion of action in the second half I believe Shibasaki is easily going to be one of my favorite characters.

Edit:

Okay, just finished episode 3. Now this is what I was wanting to see! Empowered operations to protect information. It made me feel all warm and fuzzy inside. I liked the 'cliffhanger' ending as well. Granted, it was a given something like that would happen, but it's something I wanted to see. Now to see if Iku can handle it for once. I can't wait for episode 4. Anime smile
fokkusuhaundo

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2008 9:40 pm Reply with quote
I just watched episode 2-3 and I'm left wondering: where's the blood?

Now I'm not saying that blood or lack thereof makes or breaks a show for me, I'm just wondering if this Japanese broadcast is in any way edited from it's original form which we would see on the DVD release because of the timeslot it's in and the demographic they're reaching for, or perhaps there wasn't any blood in the manga. When a lot of attention to detail is made for many other aspects of combat like weapons and bulletholes you kind of expect to see some blood when people are getting shot and killed. Neutral

And I'm still having a hard time wrapping my head around how this conflict between the Media Improvement Forces and the Library Corps can be allowed to exist. This is some form of checks and balances when they're out shooting at each other. Confused

Anyways, the characters are still entertaining to watch and at this point may be the show's only endearing quality along with the show's slick production values, which is more enough for me to enjoy watching this show to its conclusion.
rainbowcourage

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2008 6:35 pm Reply with quote
Saw 2-3. As others have pointed out, the premise is of course as half-baked as a stoner's brain (punage!) but I really couldn't care less. It's cute and I like the love interests. Honestly, though, defending the whole idea is pretty useless, so I say just go with the flow and accept.
rainbowcourage

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2008 8:17 pm Reply with quote
episode 4

I am really digging the clear lines of the drawing style...
This episode was very good, and finally some real spunk from the heroine in a tough situation! I'm glad she spoiler[said no to Tazuka (?), leaving her free for cutie-pie Dojou. Also the way she handled the hostage situation was perfect. My one complaint would just have to be the charging into the situation because they didn't shoot anyone. I mean, c'mon that even pushed MY boundless gullibility. But it was cool that she and Dojou were able to communicate just by her seeing his hand.]
Aromatic Grass

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2008 12:59 am Reply with quote
rainbowcourage wrote:
I am really digging the clear lines of the drawing style...

That's why I.G is my favorite! Even if the story's bad, at least the visuals are still worth it. Though I'm not saying that Library War is bad -- it's great fun and hilarious! And episode 4 only reassured me of this. Smile

rainbowcourage wrote:
This episode was very good, and finally some real spunk from the heroine in a tough situation!

Love Iku. I just don't want her crying anymore. Show them you're tough!

rainbowcourage wrote:
spoiler[My one complaint would just have to be the charging into the situation because they didn't shoot anyone. I mean, c'mon that even pushed MY boundless gullibility. But it was cool that she and Dojou were able to communicate just by her seeing his hand.]

Yeah, it doesn't really seem like anyone is going to die in this show at this point. Eh, who really cares? What you said reminded me of how spoiler[great everyone worked together in this episode. Iku's smart plan to leave a message about the restaurant as a hint to their location, the prosthetic leg signal, the hand motions, etc. And Iku was being praised by Doujou!] Anime smile

And the ending was pretty funny thanks to spoiler[Iku's interaction with Tezuka in the coffee shop. And later she finds out that her parents are coming~!] Shocked
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
fokkusuhaundo

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2008 1:49 am Reply with quote
It's great to know that Iku can handle herself. And with spoiler[Tezuka out of the way, we can only wait and see what more will develop between Dojou and Iku]. I'm also curious to find out spoiler[what kind of people her parents are] in the next episode.
Ohoni

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2008 3:47 am Reply with quote
I've watched the first three eps, and I enjoy this one. It's really charming, even if the premise is a bit ridiculous. On a metaphorical level it works ok though, and it's really more about the characters themselves.
BrothersElric

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2008 2:54 pm Reply with quote
Really I think this whole series is mainly about Iku being able to prove herself to everyone, so I wasn't too surprised that she could. Still nice to see though, especially with spoiler[Doujo acknowledging her at the end there.]

That whole last sequence was just friggin hilarious! Laughing spoiler[Iku's reactions to Tezuka's reasons for dating her just had me rolling on the floor! And then just as she's about to tell her parents about the task force, they're coming to see her! Anime hyper This should be very interesting.....]
Jedi General

PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2008 11:14 am Reply with quote
So far I've been disappointed with this series. The story is much sillier than I initally thought it would be, but the characters, art, and animation are enough to keep me watching. The most annoying part is the bloodless battles though.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Mylene

PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2008 11:52 am Reply with quote
Jedi General wrote:
So far I've been disappointed with this series. The story is much sillier than I initally thought it would be, but the characters, art, and animation are enough to keep me watching. The most annoying part is the bloodless battles though.

The characters aren't keeping me watching (just my stubbornness), but I agree with your feeling that the storyline is sillier than I expected as well. The bloodless battles don't really get to me though, probably because I'm a fan of Noir which I believe was also particularly bloodless, especially given the high body count.

I did enjoy Iku actually using her head a bit in the fourth episode. It's kind of a shame they had to add in the spoiler[prosthetic leg indicating their location] as well, because it rather took away from her moment in my eyes.

Edit: Just watched episode 5, and I'm quite surprised by how well I liked it, given my general distaste of Iku (and desire for less character and more plot--something I never thought I'd say, given how much of a character person I am). It was well paced, and I really enjoyed her father's character, particularly when spoiler[he stands up for her when she says she won't quit, and when you find out that he knows from reading an article in Lt. Doujo's room.]

I also enjoyed the scene right after the OP and just before the title screen with Shibasaki narrating what was going on. It was just sort of neat to see.
Aromatic Grass

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2008 12:20 am Reply with quote
Mylene wrote:
It's kind of a shame they had to add in the spoiler[prosthetic leg indicating their location] as well, because it rather took away from her moment in my eyes.

Yeah, that felt like a bit of a letdown. She went through all the trouble(?) to spoiler[give a hint to their location, and yet they still relied on the (cool) prosthetic leg locater.] Eh, I'm bet we'll still get a chance to see Iku in action and lookin' smart. Smile

Mylene wrote:
Just watched episode 5, and I'm quite surprised by how well I liked it, given my general distaste of Iku (and desire for less character and more plot--something I never thought I'd say, given how much of a character person I am).

If you're not watching it for Iku, then how 'bout Doujou? Wink

Anyway, I *loved* episode 5. Iku's parents were adorable, and I especially loved her father and how he was testing her. Everyone else helping Iku out was pretty funny, too.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Mylene

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2008 7:06 am Reply with quote
Aromatic Grass wrote:

Mylene wrote:
Just watched episode 5, and I'm quite surprised by how well I liked it, given my general distaste of Iku (and desire for less character and more plot--something I never thought I'd say, given how much of a character person I am).

If you're not watching it for Iku, then how 'bout Doujou? Wink

He annoys me just about as much as she does. Razz I'm seriously still watching for the little bits of action/discussion of freedom to read/view, intellectual freedom, etc. And because once I start a show, I don't stop watching. I'm enjoying it a bit more, and it's nice enough, it's just not at all what I was hoping it would be. Over at MAL someone who'd read the novels suggested to me that they would be more of what I was wanting than the anime. Seems they pretty much cut out the aspects that interested me most.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 4 of 7