• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
What did you just buy?

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Industry -> Retail
View previous topic :: View next topic  
doctordoom85

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2009 9:29 am Reply with quote
Kimiko_0 wrote:
Yay, another box of anime for me! Smile

- Ghost Hunt parts 1 and 2 (no idea why they made two boxes (each with two thinpaks with one disc each) out of this, because ↓)
- Mushishi (this is just one box (two discs each in two thinpaks))

Ghost Hunt is in two boxsets because that is its initial release (a complete boxset will probably come out this year or next year). On the other hand, Mushishi's initial release was 6 separate volumes, and the boxset you got was the 2nd release done. Ghost Hunt is a more recent Funimation property, and the company is releasing series initially in 2 boxsets as opposed to 6 singles, so actually Ghost Hunt had the better deal for the initial release price-wise. Just clearing that up.
Genet

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2009 1:10 pm Reply with quote
Manga, I just imported from Japan.

Aishiteruze Baby 2~3
Chi's Sweet Home 5~6
Doraemon 1~5
Saint Young Men 1~3

I can't remember my last anime purchase.
zawa113

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2009 2:26 pm Reply with quote
murph76 wrote:
I just bought the Princess Tutu collection. I was kind of surprised that all 6 DVDs were stacked on one post.

I am starting to feel less bad about my ugly version (this one), those two packs looks like they'd be the same based on the outside, but mine has them all on their own disc space like you're talking about wanting. Wonder why they changed that.

Glad to see more people adding Princess Tutu to their collections though!
Richard J.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2009 5:15 pm Reply with quote
Got in another part of my order from the Funimation studio sale from TRSI.

Baccano! volume 3.
Baccano! volume 4.
Heroic Age part 1.
Romeo X Juliet Romeo Collection.
Murder Princess Complete.

My back log is bad right now. It grows deeper but I'm loving all my new buys so it's okay. (I may blow a big wad of cash on the Yen Press sale too.)

Say, can anyone direct me to a picture of the "all discs on one spindle" DVD cases that ADV's using for some of it's collections? I have never seen one of these and it sounds a little too horrible to be true. Wink

*Fixed code.

Last edited by Richard J. on Wed Jun 10, 2009 11:50 am; edited 1 time in total
Dargonxtc

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2009 5:36 pm Reply with quote
Got a box today.
    Anime
  • Baccano! V.4
  • Five Star Stories (nice version)
  • Martian Successor Nadesico: Prince of Darkness

Richard J.:

Sounds like it is something similar in style to the Figure 17 collection. Which are a pain to get out and can easily crack a disc. I hate those BTW. Though even on that style of container I have only seen four discs on one spindle, so it sounds like what they are talking about is worse.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
The King of Harts

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2009 7:12 pm Reply with quote
Richard J. wrote:
Say, can anyone direct me to a picture of the "all discs on one spindle" DVD cases that ADV's using for some of it's collections? I have never seen one of these and it sounds a little too horrible to be true. Wink

Not the greatest picture, but it's the third one down and comes with a good description
http://www.sleevetown.com/dvd-case-multi.shtml
I'm not usually one to sound like a dick towards the industry, but this packaging is just plain horrible. They're a pain to deal with and on top of that you occasionally get floaters which could cause scratched disks from rubbing against the spindle. When you want to marathon or watch a later volume you have to pull out all the ones on top and you can either leave them laying around (risking scratching) or you can put them all back in just to have to take them all back out later.

To answer an earlier question: They use them because apparently they're cheaper, lighter and more environmentally friendly.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Richard J.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2009 12:08 pm Reply with quote
I really wanted to believe I was misunderstanding what ya'll were saying about that case but wow, just wow. It really is that bad. I don't even like the cases where two discs partially overlap each other.

So glad to the see the second Haruhi light novel added to the Yen Press pre-orders! I'd been waiting for that and just placed my sale order:

Higurashi: When They Cry manga volume 4.
Higurashi: When They Cry manga volume 5.
Ichiroh! manga volume 2.
Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya Novel 2: Sigh of Haruhi (Hardback) (Ten kinds of awesome! Anime hyper Anime catgrin Anime dazed ).
Shoulder a Coffin, Kuro manga volume 2.
Spice & Wolf Novel 1.
Spiral: Bonds of Reasoning manga volume 8.
Spiral: Bonds of Reasoning mang volume 9.
Sundome manga volume 5.
Sundome manga volume 6.
Sunshine Sketch manga volume 2.
Sunshine Sketch manga volume 3.
Yotsuba&! manga volume 1.
Yotsuba&! manga volume 2.

I decided to hold back a bit and only got the first two Yotsuba&! volumes so I could properly try it before buying all. I fully expect to love it and I almost certainly will end up with the whole set but I also have some figures and other DVDs I'm wanting too. (Never enough money. Crying or Very sad )
Kimiko_0

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2009 1:55 pm Reply with quote
Oh, sorry for the late reply. I took some pics for you of my Madlax DVD box, but had to charge the camera batteries first.
Box with all discs on one spindle
Discs removed to show the spindle
Yep, that's five discs
Closer view of the stacked discs
LydiaDianne

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2009 3:35 pm Reply with quote
Richard J. wrote:

Heroic Age part 1.

I got my copies of those myself today.
archaron

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2009 3:39 pm Reply with quote
Kimiko_0 wrote:
Oh, sorry for the late reply. I took some pics for you of my Madlax DVD box, but had to charge the camera batteries first.
Yep, that's five discs

Wow I think I going to have to make sure I avoid those spindle sets. Thanks for the pictures.
grave_digger18

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2009 4:33 pm Reply with quote
Battle Angel Alita vol 1-9
found a great deal for $7 a book secondhand off kijiji.ca
theknight

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2009 6:41 pm Reply with quote
i ordered
gundam seed movie 1
Neon Genesis Evangelion Directors Cut reborn
neon genesis evangelion dvd 1
Aura Ichadora

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2009 10:38 pm Reply with quote
archaron wrote:
Kimiko_0 wrote:
Yep, that's five discs

Wow I think I going to have to make sure I avoid those spindle sets. Thanks for the pictures.
I'd avoid the Full Metal Panic!/Full Metal Panic? FUMOFFU Heavy Metal Collection then. It's the same spindle packaging. I got it when it was half-off during the Best Buy sale, but needless to say I wasn't too happy with how the discs were packaged.
Richard J.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2009 11:16 pm Reply with quote
LydiaDianne wrote:
Richard J. wrote:

Heroic Age part 1.

I got my copies of those myself today.
Great minds think alike. Wink I've waited a while for the Romeo X Juliet series. Way back when, Neverwhere recommended it to me. The original play has always been my favorite of the 'Speare's works so it's a natural fit.

@ Kimiko_0: Ugh, not only does the packaging suck but looks like ADV used their extras-free version of Madlax. The Coversations With SSS extra alone makes the singles worth hunting up in my opinion. (At least, I thought it was a very funny extra. Plus there's the sock puppets that I still have never watched. People rave about those.)
zawa113

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2009 10:20 am Reply with quote
y'know how as soon as you go to another floor, the mailman will immediately ring the door bell with your package? I swear this package was strapped to the slow turtle, but it's here!

Anime:
Speed Grapher 1-6
Cowboy Bebop Remix Legends
Gurren Lagann LE set 3

Thus...I guess completing all those series? And Gurren Lagann! The only series where I've gotten everything in LE! Probably will never happen again *sniff*

*edit-dear lord! every single one of the Speed Grapher ones has two security stickers on it! If i'd know that, I would've paid a tiny bit more for the $30 boxset at TRSI to spare myself the agony.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Industry -> Retail All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 388 of 1401