• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Kurokami the anime.

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jedi General

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2009 6:51 pm Reply with quote
pparker wrote:
I just love that spoiler[she hits him about 50 times before he ever touches the ground Smile.]

I know! Total pwnage. That guy had no idea who he was messing with and paid for his ignorance dearly.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
pparker

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2009 12:27 am Reply with quote
ep 02...

No loss of quality in this episode, and I like the pace of plot development. No messing around here, right to the point, but with tougher bad guys and bigger battles. Already clear with a minimum of exposition what's going on for at least the first arc, and with the tag after the credits in ep 02, the primary players (OP-shown) are quickly lining up. The action-dialogue balance and editing are near perfect. It never feels slow, and yet there's plenty of dialogue and description pushing the story forward. But when the action comes, it's excellent.

Was able to watch the dub of ep 01, and it wasn't bad, though I just personally still prefer the subs. No real difference in meaning between the two. Kuro's job title in English is better, since the Japanese is so long and doesn't add any meaning per the explanation and references so far. The dub gave me the same understanding as the best of the subs, and the voices matched pretty well.

Funny, though, the parallels with Shana. spoiler[The balancing of Tera is almost a mirror concept of the balancing of Power of Existence. Kuro certainly reminds me of Shana in some ways, and the partnership formed between Kuro and Keita is somewhat reflective of Shana and Yuji. The only thing missing is the fuzetsu--Kurokami's battles so far have been tamer, but still logically would be more noticeable to bystanders. And so far there's no spare Tera to use for repairing collateral damage.] The resemblance is not a bad thing for me, since I like Shana a lot. And anyway it's still quite a different story.

Hoping this level of quality continues...
furizaa

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2009 6:18 pm Reply with quote
I just saw episode 2 as well, and frankly, I'm liking the manga a lot better. The anime is good, and actiony, but compared to the manga it feels like they're trying to rush stuff, or include more than they should at a time. Also, the anime is a bit dumbed down from the manga, as in the manga, spoiler[Kuro is forced to form a contract with Keita because his arm is chopped off, and he is losing too much blood. In the anime, it's just a hit to some random spot on his torso that they don't even show.] I think the main cause that I feel the anime is rushed, is because they rearranged the order of some of the events that happen in the manga. Oh well, I'll keep watching, because I'm definitely a fan of this show.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Jedi General

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2009 12:25 am Reply with quote
Episode 2: I'm liking the direction the anime is taking. The basic concept of the story is still there, but I'm liking the execution of it a lot better. I found it interesting the change in how the pact was formed. Much more .... invasive. Shocked spoiler[Having them exchange hearts instead of arms. Yikes!] I like it. Felt much more urgent than in the manga.

I'm only watching this dubbed, so I have no opinion on the Japanese track. That said, I'm loving the dub thus far, although mainly because of Laura Bailey. Bandai is doing a fine job.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Xanas

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2009 8:58 pm Reply with quote
This series seems pretty good. Portions of the way things work in it can be found parallel to quite a few series, but mainly 2 that I think of.

It feels like Shana at times in general tone (death is so far on a smaller scale but much more gruesome, so it kind of averages out).

It also feels a little bit like Fate/Stay Night at the end there I think. I don't think the relationship here will function in quite the same way as either Shana or Fate/Stay Night.

I also kind of got a Chaos;Head vibe from it for a few moments, though I don't dislike the main character as I did there.

I'm watching the dubbed version, but I plan to see the subbed at some point. Some of the dub voices are on the weak side but I do like the primary characters thus far.

I have to say I'm definitely into Laura Bailey's voice after playing Tales of Symphonia sequel, so hearing her here is nice.
daedelus

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2009 2:16 am Reply with quote
Ah, so Excel and Steiner are spoiler[contractor and contractee.] I didn't know what to expect, but I didn't suspect that at all. I thought that their interaction at the bank was pretty funny.

I'm really liking this show so far. I'm intrigued by how the plot is slowly unfolding.
daedelus

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2009 11:39 pm Reply with quote
I finally got around to watching the ep I recorded on 2/5, and it was a repeat of the previous week's ep!

I guess either the episode ran into some snags on the Japan side, or there was trouble getting it over here. OR someone at iaTv screwed up.
Alerhys

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2009 12:55 am Reply with quote
When I saw that it was a repeat, I figured it was a production glitch. They're on an awfully tight schedule to get the dub out.

Hopefully now that they have a few extra days cushion it won't happen again. (I dream Very Happy)
daedelus

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2009 12:34 pm Reply with quote
I had this feeling that I was missing something. It was validated by this recent recap episode. There were two instances when the show didn't air and I thought the show was preempted, but turns out those eps were just skipped.

All the more reason to buy the dvds I guess.
Ausdoerrt

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2009 12:47 pm Reply with quote
I dropped this show around ep 5 or so. The quality has been steadily dropping, and if anything, it just ended up being a B-rate action anime. When the action sequences started being boring and poorly animated, the show lost any sort of merit.
daedelus

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2009 12:37 pm Reply with quote
Well, I'm still enjoying this show. It's not the best, but certainly isn't the worst either. I like Laura Bailey in this and I also like how they replaced the next episode preview with an extra scene after the credits.

Incidentally, happy anniversary to my daedelus persona! Smile
kornpone

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2009 8:36 pm Reply with quote
daedelus wrote:
Well, I'm still enjoying this show. It's not the best, but certainly isn't the worst either.

Precisely.

Kurokami continues to, er, rumble on in its usual fashion, which is by and large entertaining. The characters seemed a bit wooden at the get go, but now that they've gotten past the first big Okinawa arc some of them have gained some more depth.

(And even though granddad's post-Okinawa outfit for Kuro is a pretty ridiculous moé-grab, it's still miles better than the warmed over homeless rags she had on before Wink )

I've seen up to ep 15 and it looks like the new characters and plot twists will only make this better.
daedelus

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2009 2:14 am Reply with quote
Well, I just read Right Stuf's weekly newsletter and it showed the dvd release of Kurokami is now To Be Determined

Dig this wonderful economy Sad
daedelus

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2009 2:53 am Reply with quote
Well, here's the latest glitch in the system.

I just watched the latest episode that aired this past Thursday. After the mid-episode break, the show returned with the Japanese language track and no sub-titles.

Either they couldn't finish dubbing the episode for some reason, or someone at the network goofed.

I could sort of infer what was being said, but I guess there is one more reason to buy the dvds whenever Bandai decides to sell them.
Alerhys

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2009 10:42 pm Reply with quote
daedelus wrote:
Well, here's the latest glitch in the system.

I just watched the latest episode that aired this past Thursday. After the mid-episode break, the show returned with the Japanese language track and no sub-titles.

Fun, wasn't it? Luckily Crunchyroll put up the fully dubbed episode 18 Wednesday, so my wife & I got to see it before watching the new episode today.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4