• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Duplicate Persons.

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Encyclopedia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
K-Shuun

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2011 2:01 pm Reply with quote
English (Geneon) credits are not trusty enough?

Edit: I don't know if I'm allow to say this, but I found somewhere to watch the credits in the japanese version, and "ジェスター" (Jester) is credited to "秋元 羊介" (Youseke Akimoto).
doc-watson42
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2011 3:02 pm Reply with quote
K-Shuun wrote:
English (Geneon) credits are not trusty enough?

Companies often make mistakes when translating credits.
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2011 3:55 pm Reply with quote
Unfortunately English credits have been known to include mistakes (although Geneon is usually better then FUNimation, who have misspelt the name of their own CEO). Japanese credits are not immune (using the wrong reading for a name is not uncommon) and in this case we had two conflicting sources so it is wise to seek confirmation before making any moves.
It appears, given what you say about the Japanese credits, that on this occasion it was an error by the operators of D2_Station. Since we know where the error came from, we can set that piece of data as false with a note to that effect in case anyone tried to re-enter it.

Since you're the one who brought this up you can enter the correct credit yourself and it will be credited to you. There's no point merging them since there is only this one isolated example, and it is possible that there is or will be a real Youichi Akimoto at some point.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
K-Shuun

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2011 8:11 pm Reply with quote
Shiroi Hane wrote:
Unfortunately English credits have been known to include mistakes (although Geneon is usually better then FUNimation, who have misspelt the name of their own CEO).

I'm kinda shocked to know that and here I thought they were reliable, will keep that in mind from now on.
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2011 5:04 pm Reply with quote
Anyone can make mistakes, and an error in a list of names isn't something you can easily spot proofreading unless you are familiar with everyone on it (blatant spelling mistakes on the other hand..)
There's nothing wrong with using English credits, although you do need to be wary of warnings regarding suspiciously similar names etc, since Japanese names can and often are written multiple different ways in English.
It is actually much worse when errors occur in the Japanese credits as there is then rarely any other source to turn to.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
K-Shuun

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2011 2:01 am Reply with quote
A mistake in translation of name it seems. I believe this two are the same:

Takehiro SONOBE
Takehiro MUROZONO

The character "Eddy Gallarde" here is listed to Takehiro Sonobe, but in the source for this entry "Eddy Gallarde" is credited to 園部丈裕 (Takehiro Murozono) and also in the anime credits "Eddy Gallarde" is credited to Takehiro Murozono too.

By the way I've a question, I think this may not be the right place but I couldn't really find a concrete answer to this subject in here and didn't want to make a thread for this simple question. The question is if there's a mistranslation of a character name, should I make an error report and make a new credit entry with the correct translation?
Takeyo

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2011 10:10 am Reply with quote
I noticed these when going through the cast of Crusher Joe:

OHTSUKA, Chikao as Murphy
ÔTSUKA, Maruo as Murphy

The Japanese film credits confirm that it is 大塚 周夫. Checking kanji readings on wwwjdic, I'm not sure where maru came from.

EDIT:
Also, one of the Control Room Officers, KUMAKURA Hiroyuki (熊倉 裕之), is credited as 熊倉 之, presumably same reading. Was this a typo by the Japanese, or something else?

Last edited by Takeyo on Mon Sep 05, 2011 10:36 am; edited 1 time in total
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2011 10:31 am Reply with quote
K-Shuun wrote:
if there's a mistranslation of a character name, should I make an error report and make a new credit entry with the correct translation?

You certainly can - "normal" editors can only make minor changes to obvious typos in entries (capitalization, punctuation, doubled letters etc). To correct an entry we have to set it as "false" (which preserves the history of the submission, so we know where an error came from preventing it being re-entered and retaining it against the submitter's account as quality check) and re-enter it. We can re-enter based on an error report, in which case it is credited to the person who raised the error, but if you re-enter it yourself it does make things a little easier (especially if you state that you have already re-entered it correctly).
K-Shuun

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2011 12:45 pm Reply with quote
Shiroi Hane wrote:
(especially if you state that you have already re-entered it correctly).

I state that in the error report, right?
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2011 3:09 pm Reply with quote
Yes please.
K-Shuun

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2011 11:15 pm Reply with quote
Duplicate person:

Masayuki TANAKA
Masahiko TANAKA

If I'm not wrong the right one would be Masahiko TANAKA. I noticed this while looking at the characters "Brad Wong" and "Brad Woo" which both are mistranslations of "ブラッド・ウォー" (Blood War).
Gungrave cast really has many mistakes, especially in character names translation.

Last edited by K-Shuun on Tue Sep 06, 2011 2:11 pm; edited 2 times in total
GreenAlien

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2011 7:52 am Reply with quote
Thats only partly right. Denpa Onna "Station announcer" is dubbed by 田中雅之 which could be that guy (tanaka masayuki).
Didn't check the other roles, there could be more. The staff credits are probably all wrong too.
K-Shuun

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2011 2:15 pm Reply with quote
GreenAlien wrote:
Thats only partly right. Denpa Onna "Station announcer" is dubbed by 田中雅之 which could be that guy (tanaka masayuki).

I see now where is the mistake, someone confused Masayuki with Masahiko. The picture and blog in Masayuki TANAKA is Masahiko's.

Edit: I will submit error report of Masayuki's in kanji name.
Dessa

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2011 4:49 pm Reply with quote
Tomoko Kawase
News Link and single role in Piroppo as Pikki

Tommy february
Birth Name Tomoko (智子) Kawase (川瀬), Two News Links and Theme Song Performances for Paradise Kiss and Piroppo

Tommy heavenly
Birth Name Tomoko (智子) Kawase (川瀬), Website link for Tommy heavenly6, Theme Song Performances for Gintama and Kamikaze Girls

Tommy heavenly6
Real Name Tomoko Kawase, two News Links, Theme song performances for Gintama (same song credited as above), Mobile Suit Gundam 00 Season 2, and Soul Eater

The first entry is her birth/real name, and the news link links both to her and to the fourth entry. The single voice-acting role's source no longer exists.

The second and third entries includes the kanji for her birth/real name, and the source for Paradise Kiss confirms that she is the one doing that role (listed as Tommy february6). The official website linked lists her both as Tommy february6 and Tommy heavenly6, which seem to be alternate aliases for different projects. This supports the latter three being the same.

The discography pages for each alias confirm Tommy february6 for the Paradise Kiss credit, and Tommy heavenly6 for the Gintama, Kamikaze Girls, Mobile Suit Gundam 00 Season 2, and Soul Eater credits.

I can't find an online source for either credit from Piroppo (nor the title of the song to check against her discography), so I can't confirm nor debunk the role or song credit.

My recommendation would be to merge all four under the name Tomoko Kawase, with aliases of Tommy february6 and Tommy heavenly6, with the credits listed under the individual alias.

I would also recommend that a link be made to the entry for the brilliant green, as she is the lead singer (this is also confirmed on her official website).

Furthermore, her aliases currently display "february" and "heavenly"/"heavenly6" as her given name, thus all caps, whereas they are officially written as all lower-case. Is there any way to fix this?

Last edited by Dessa on Wed Sep 07, 2011 6:53 pm; edited 1 time in total
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2011 5:12 pm Reply with quote
I know that Tommy heavenly6 has been brought up here somewhere before.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Encyclopedia All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 73 of 144