• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood (TV) (w/ index).

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dune

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2009 3:55 am Reply with quote
Anybody notice that a certain someone is missing his mustache? Personally I like it that way, though I'm sure it'll be corrected later on.

I guess it's not a huge deal, but I agree that Brotherhood's pacing is confusing. For reference sake this episode covered about 27 pages. The Ishval episode covered over 140 pages. I'm not totally opposed to shortening flashbacks--this is an adaptation after all--but still. At least put some more meat on your filler to make up for it. Like, you know, show Greed. I want to see him do evil stuff. spoiler[Manga!Greed is too uninvolved during this part anyway.]

Ok, random thoughts: I actually liked that Hohenheim-recap episode a lot more than I thought I would. Emphasis on character, slower build. I've said this before, but stuff like that makes me feel like this show's finally _adapting_ the material. It's nice that Brotherhood has improved significantly within the past several episodes, though it saddens me all the more that the (IMO superior) Mustang/Ross arc didn't get the proper treatment it deserved (during what is apparently a 63-episode series, no less). The confrontation with Father wasn't as big as it should have been, but at least the scene work in general is much better. Now if they could just stop with the SD already.
-Dear Brotherhood, stop overusing the Door sound effect from the previous series please. While you're at it, stop playing a sound effect every time the screen changes.
--They're improving the music editing. During the Ishval episode, that vocal music that comes in during the creation of the Philosopher stones: I believe it's the first time in a long while that they've premiered a new piece of music that effectively. Also, I enjoyed Scar stopping the music after the credits. He should play musical chairs sometime.
-Forgot to mention how much I like Dilandou as Envy. Escaflowne and the previous FMA top my favorites, so any connection between the two franchises is pure gravy. Also, THIS vs. THIS. Poor Edward got the short-end of the dream-stick there. Smile I also have to admit the current opening is kind of catchy.

Westlo wrote:
They're just bad compared to the first adaption and the other big Aniplex funded anime in Bakemonogatari.. which had the second best opening week for a tv series.. and it was supply constrained too lol.

If it was any other show you would be totally rapt with sales figures like that. Stuff that sells 5k per dvd sometimes gets sequels... It's down from expectations but Aniplex had a surprise hit in Bakemonogatari anyway so I guess it evened out.

Interesting, never heard of that other show. Thanks for the info.
dtm42

PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2009 6:32 am Reply with quote
Episode thirty-three:

Well, the fight on the train was a let-down, although I suppose there is an argument to be made that showing all of Kimlee's combat potential at once would be a waste. Still, for someone who initially was easily dodging Scar's attacks, he suddenly went "I'm rusty, I can't beat him". What?

Speaking of Scar, three more things.

The first is that he actually came up with a good plan, and I was impressed how he used quivering soldier dude (with the moustache) to stand in for Marcoh. That was quite smart.

Secondly, right after Kimblee said that Scar could not use constructive alchemy we see Scar throw a metal pole at him. The pole showed signs of having been affected by alchemy. Was it just that Scar took any old piece of metal and stripped away parts to make a sort of spear, or did he actually use constructive alchemy? Since it had come straight after Kimblee's line it seems suspicious.

Thirdly, I must have watched the current OP about a half-dozen times right the way through (I don't like it very much), and only now do I realise that Scar doesn't have a scar. I assume it isn't an animation mistake, but rather a result of something that happens to him.

The fight in the snow between the brothers and crocodile dude was rather stupid. First of all it was all pointless except as a means of introduction to the Briggs personnel, and secondly it was silly for the guy to attack them like that. Thirdly, it was a rather boring fight.

It just all seems rather uninspired, and the next episode preview doesn't fill me with much hope regarding the Briggs situation. In fact, I'm currently more interested in Scar and what Marcoh will find in that research.
braves

PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2009 9:13 am Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:
Was it just that Scar took any old piece of metal and stripped away parts to make a sort of spear, or did he actually use constructive alchemy? Since it had come straight after Kimblee's line it seems suspicious.

It wasn't made clear in the anime, but in the manga he just finds it in mid-air among the debris after he blew up a good portion of the car.
dtm42 wrote:
Thirdly, I must have watched the current OP about a half-dozen times right the way through (I don't like it very much), and only now do I realise that Scar doesn't have a scar. I assume it isn't an animation mistake, but rather a result of something that happens to him.

It's a flashback to the Ishval war period, before he met up with Kimblee.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
penguintruth

PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2009 3:16 am Reply with quote
The biggest problem with the Scar vs Kimbley fight was that they spent all that time building up to it with filler scenes and for all that build up it didn't amount to much. In the manga, it's sort of treated as just another incident, and to show that even Kimbley will have to go at Scar differently than expected.

I personally can't believe Scar is so capable of surviving nearly everything. I mean, come on, nobody can even shoot him? Are the homunculi, nearly immortal super beings so incapable they can't just team up and kill him themselves and have to contract out?

But I love Olivier Mira Armstrong and the new arc at Briggs. This is one of those things that the manga had at a big advantage to the first series (but to be fair, it started after that series ended). I love Olivier's voice, it's suitable for one of my favorite characters in FMA.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Dune

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2009 3:22 am Reply with quote
I'm pretty sure Kimbley's thoughts at the moment of his defeat were, "Hey, that Scar guy is pretty good. Now I'll just ohcrapIforgotmygun--" SPLAT. It probably would have helped if Kimbly didn't stand around like he was waiting for Scar to hit him. Still, the winter animation is gorgeous. The snow really looks great with the characters.

I enjoyed the scene with Miles. For some reason it stood out more to me than when I read it in the manga, even though the two versions are virtually the same. Also liked Falman crying. Sloth and Olivier are pretty much what I expected them to be, so that's probably good.

For the life of me I can't understand why Father and the Fuhrer are practically letting Ed and Al and the others roam free. Isn't this kinda inviting their own downfall? In Brotherhood the entire military command chain is corrupt, so it's not like they need to put on a show of being fair- just get Envy to do something to frame these guys, and voila, they're in jail until needed. The Homunculi have already established that Ed, Al, and Roy are 'potential sacrifices', which presumably means they're necessary somehow for Father's big plan to sacrifice all of Amestris. So I don't understand why Father's taking any unnecessary chances. spoiler[And btw, joining two rebels together to make Greedling? Yeah, we all know how that's going to turn out.] Bradley threatens Ed about Winry, yeah, but he's also giving Edward the freedom to do whatever. Why not have Ed in captivity where he won't cause any trouble?

It's possible that there's some benefit to letting these guys go free that I'm not seeing. I certainly hope this will be touched upon in the future. (Btw it's pretty weird that I've been reading the manga for a couple of years now, but I'll probably see Brotherhood's adaptation of the ending before getting to read it.)
penguintruth

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2009 3:40 am Reply with quote
Well, the homunculi and Father are extremely confident.

Episode 34 is, quite possibly, my favorite episode since episode 19 (Roy vs Lust). There are so many great elements to it.

First, the art/animation for the snow and ice is perfect. I love how the Briggs fortress looks, and can see my waiting paid off. The battle with Sloth was pretty well done, too, though you could tell that they were saving their budget for that part because the first half of the episode had some wonky animation here and there. The presentation overall, especially with Olivier's reactions, was excellent.

The episode itself was well-paced, my only problem being where it ended, but it's forgivable. I felt like everything that I saw had just the right amount of screentime. This isn't some big, epic battle with all parties, but it is something that needs to be done just right, and it's being done so.

Olivier's VA is awesome. Miles sounded different than I expected, but he sounds good. Sloth was great, and sounded exactly the way I thought he'd sound. Romi Paku continues to perform well. I wish Alphonse would get a few more lines (or actions), though.

I really loved seeing the team work of the Briggs crew. It reminded me a lot of how Roy and his group work together, but Olivier is far sexier, and she doesn't even need alchemy to pull it off.

The little details were great, too, like the detail of Olivier's sword and the continuing appearance of Edward's scar. I've been noticing that about the scar on Roy's hand that's still there from when he cut an alchemy array on there. Little things like this really help to immerse me in the show, and the world it takes place in.

My only real complaint is the lack of new music. Somebody get Akira Senju into a studio. If you can't, threaten to bring in Oshima again.

If only the past few episodes could have been this good. If only all of them could be. But then, we could never catch our breaths, were that the case!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Dune

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2009 4:40 pm Reply with quote
35:

A tank crammed into a small hallway fires while Ed is about three feet away from the turret, and this didn't effect his hearing in the slightest? Stretching suspension of disbelief there... Also, I never want to see Dr. Marco attempt SD comedy ever again.

Other than that this was an ok episode. I liked the Armstrong/Raven encounter.
dtm42

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2009 6:17 pm Reply with quote
What I loved was the bit with the spoiler[map.] Now that was an incredible revelation. Also good was spoiler[the hospital scene, and then Kimblee's smirk in the hallway.]

This episode was much better than usual for this series.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2009 9:51 pm Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:
What I loved was the bit with the spoiler[map.] Now that was an incredible revelation.

If by incredible revelation, you mean we all saw it coming, because Marcoh revealed it earlier during a conversation with Envy, then yes, incredible.

It was a good episode, though.

I enjoy the little act Olivier is putting up to get closer to Raven and the higher ups' plans, especially when she talks about wanting children and being unable to torture kids (heh, as if!).

What they did spoiler[to defeat Sloth (for the time being)] was also pretty inventive. And it was good to see that Ed, Al, Olivier, Buccaneer, and Falman all got in on the action.

Enjoy it while Ed and Al are still the main characters.
dtm42

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2009 10:01 pm Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:
If by incredible revelation, you mean we all saw it coming, because Marcoh revealed it earlier during a conversation with Envy, then yes, incredible.

It's one thing to be told about it, and quite another to actually see the sheer scale of the plan. That's what impressed me. Plus, given how close it is to completion, as well as spoiler[how many people must die at Briggs] for it to work, let's just say that raises a few hairs on the back of the old neck.

penguintruth wrote:
Enjoy it while Ed and Al are still the main characters.

What? The last I saw, the title was "Fullmetal Alchemist". Now, it might be a tad silly to expect that Ed and Al can save the country by themselves, but they should at least remain the main characters for heaven's sakes.
Dune

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2009 1:40 pm Reply with quote
36:

Another good episode. The prologue with Hohenheim, while a little redundant, was thoroughly enjoyable. The scene with Ed and Al asleep in bed is pretty reminiscent of the Hughes-daughter scene in the previous show. The only real problem I had with this was how easily Trisha accepted her husband leaving for parts unknown. But overall this includes the sort of warmth and heart that Brotherhood sorely needs.

Lol, not sure why Raven was so surprised he would be betrayed after blabbing to everyone what his motives were. Not sure why he thought he could trust Ed and Al with info either, considering he knew they were his enemies. His demise is rather theatrical though, and well done.

I'm still mightily confused about why Bradley allows Ed to roam free, with (again) only a flimsy threat against Winry's safety. Here's an idea, lock them both up. And then threaten Ed about Winry. I know the villains in this show are supposed to be arrogant, but I don't want them being stupid, either. Ed should be getting no free passes at this point.

(Scar scene was ok. The snow was... a little too yellow...)

Looking forward to the next episode. A big event just in time for the holiday season. Smile
everydaygamer

PostPosted: Fri Jan 01, 2010 2:16 pm Reply with quote
so heres a question, with the show heading in to whats prolly the final 12 episodes and the manga still going we prolly aren't gonna get a definitive ending. i don't read the manga but without spoiling anything (i don't care if you mark the spoilers, please don't tempt me lol) what chapter of the manga is the anime currently up to and are there any chances we will have a decent ending that prolly won't resolve all plot points but will at least resolve some of them?
p3rseus

PostPosted: Fri Jan 01, 2010 6:54 pm Reply with quote
So, anybody else get the feeling they've completely ignored any character development in this series. Ed is more childish now than he was at the beginning of the series, even important sequences are not treated in a serious tone. That was something I enjoyed of the original series, Ed at the last few episodes was quite different from the beginning, he knew he was involved in some serious stuff and he was way more careful and mature about handling things. I haven't read the manga, but if the Brotherhood is a good representation of it then I can say I enjoyed the modified version much more than the manga version. Still waiting for an episode like Roy vs Lust, but so far it's been going pretty stale. Big events are handled very briefly and most of the show is gone in talking and comical animations.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Fri Jan 01, 2010 7:02 pm Reply with quote
I can't agree that Ed hasn't matured. That he's even willing to go along with biting his tongue while he fools Kimbley is a sign that he's grown. A younger Edward would have said, "Eff it, I'ma beat Kimbley down!" and screwed up the whole plan. He's also able to accept the help of others better now, too.

I've been enjoying the Briggs arc, even though we're now at the point where it's getting a little stale. It's an arc that starts off strong and overstays its welcome. Still, one of my favorite bits in the manga, especially where Olivier Armstrong is concerned.
Charred Knight

PostPosted: Fri Jan 01, 2010 10:19 pm Reply with quote
p3rseus wrote:
So, anybody else get the feeling they've completely ignored any character development in this series. Ed is more childish now than he was at the beginning of the series, even important sequences are not treated in a serious tone. That was something I enjoyed of the original series, Ed at the last few episodes was quite different from the beginning, he knew he was involved in some serious stuff and he was way more careful and mature about handling things. I haven't read the manga, but if the Brotherhood is a good representation of it then I can say I enjoyed the modified version much more than the manga version. Still waiting for an episode like Roy vs Lust, but so far it's been going pretty stale. Big events are handled very briefly and most of the show is gone in talking and comical animations.

Arakawa is writing Ed as a teenager, his about 16 so I don't expect him to talk and act like a guy whose 40. Sure Ed was more mature but he also didn't act like a teenager he was the most adult member of the entire cast especially when you compare him to the overgrown man child that was Mustang and his men.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 55 of 64