• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Kurokami the anime.

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
LuckySleven

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2009 1:07 am Reply with quote
Kurokami (Black God)
Features the genre action, fantasy, seinen, and supernatural. Based off the manga by Im Dal Young. Animation done by Sunrise.

I was wondering if anyone watched the first episode yet, I manage to watch it some how. Like most animes based off manga, the story changes quite a bit. But actually a lot more happened here in my opinion. It seems now that the main character, Keita Ibuki, went from a spoiler[adult computer programmer with money problems to an anti-social high school student.] At least they kept intact with the idea of the ramen scene. I think that the character designs did change a bit as well. I found that the fight scenes quite well done and will probably the main focus in the series. I felt that the fight scene was like from Dragon Ball Z except animated by MADHouse. I'm confused whether I like it or not so I concluded that I need to watch more until I can make my verdict.

Honestly there was one scene that made me cringe which wasspoiler[the part where Mayu ran across the crosswalk then !BAM! hit/ran over by a truck.] If my will was weak I probably would've vomited. It's not a very pleasant thing to see during the start of a new year. Sad
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2009 1:19 am Reply with quote
I've yet to see it for myself, but I've heard a lot of raging over rather big changes from the source material, right off the bat.
G-mofactor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2009 1:41 am Reply with quote
This series, or title, caught me off guard. I have not read the manga, and happen to see this yesterday from a party.
Though, looking at the first episode did spark my interest, especially the quality of animation is quite superb. The fighting scene is jaw dropping with tears in my eyes after re-watching KOF:Another Day a week ago. I did expect that the direction of the quality in the fighting scene will be done with no holding back- as soon as the bat was swung in the parking lot, my first thought was that.
I love how questions are already in placed in the first episode... so thrilling. I already have placed this in my 'to watch' list, now that I finished a few of the anime(s). Although, the whole idea, when I put some bits from the anime and put them together especially the whole 'The same person but different paths' thing and the fighting, resembles Jet Li's live action movie The One.
Westlo

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2009 1:43 am Reply with quote
Well when an arrogant, angry, entertaining adult lead gets turned into a generic emo sad high schooler people are of course going to be annoyed. Most of the best scenes in the manga cannot be done with the anime version of Keita since he doesn't have the personality to do it anymore. It would be like turning the male lead (one of the best harem leads I've seen) of Unbalance X Unbalance (same author as KuroKami) into the male lead of Love Hina if they adapted it. They removed everything unique about it to give us the same ol thing we've seen. Akane's downgrade is also totally annoying... I think someone else said it best when saying this went from being a Seinen title to shounen.

It's just a shame Sunrise went down this path because the animation is surperb and the VA's are fitting. I'm sure if you've never read the manga you'll enjoy it but it could've been so much better.
v1cious

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2009 11:51 am Reply with quote
i feel the same way about this as i did about "Wanted": if you accept it for what it is, it was pretty damn awesome. if the fight scenes continue to be this well animated, i'm in for the long haul. the production quality of that first episode was quite good.
pparker

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2009 4:01 pm Reply with quote
LOL at Kuro's juggling! Right out of Tekken Smile (I'm a very slight and old gamer, so that's my only reference)

I haven't read the manga, and it sounds like there's some missed opportunity for awesome with the downgrade of Keita. If the anime is this violent, though (not sure if I really wanted that final scene picture in my head) then I presume the manga is worse and that a direct adaptation wouldn't have been feasible. Although I'm sure the high school aging of the lead is pure demographics.

Kuro is a badass loli, and her fight was excellent. Attractive character, but not unique so far. Someone elsewhere likened this show to Shakugan no Shana, which I don't agree with, but when I compare how I felt about Shana herself after episode one, Kuro comes off like a stock character.

Not making a decision yet. The concept is clever, and the manga seems highly regarded, so I'll see how it goes.
furizaa

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2009 4:25 pm Reply with quote
I started reading the manga a few days ago, and now I've just seen episode one of the anime. There's a few pretty big changes from the manga as some have pointed out, like the change in Keita's character, and the fact that spoiler[Keita hasn't lost his arm yet.] So far the anime is much, much darker than the manga, but I found it very enjoyable to watch nonetheless. As I expected/hoped, the fight scene was amazing. I'll admit watching spoiler[those two girls get killed] wasn't very pretty to see though. Either way, I have high hopes for this anime, and so I'll just keep reading/watching to see what happens next.

pparker- Now that you mention it, I can't stop picturing the similarities in how Kuro and Shana look, haha. Even Keita and Yuji Sakai are starting to look similar to me. I say only looks though, as the characters are pretty different personality wise.

Edit- new avatar. xD Mmm... ramen...
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
pparker

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2009 6:37 pm Reply with quote
furizaa wrote:
So far the anime is much, much darker than the manga

That surprises me, as it's usually the opposite. Maybe they have compressed some of the story in the anime, meaning the manga is as dark but takes more time between spoiler[running over mothers and splattering little girls with trucks... and leaving a 30 meter grease spot]. In any case, it's plenty dark now. I literally cringed at the end, and I almost never physically react to anime.

furizaa wrote:
Now that you mention it, I can't stop picturing the similarities in how Kuro and Shana look, haha. Even Keita and Yuji Sakai are starting to look similar to me. I say only looks though, as the characters are pretty different personality wise.

I only mentioned it because of the comparisons. The same thing happened with Toaru Majutsu no Index as well, and that show did have more of the Shana feel to it when it started (just based on the studio, IMO), though pretty quickly proved to be, umm, different and not in a good way. I hope that Kuro gets more depth of development, though. My attraction for Shana was immediate and only increased. I didn't get that love at first sight feeling with Kuro, though she is of course cute as hell in whatever it is she's not wearing and her fighter attitude pumps my blood.
furizaa

PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2009 11:25 pm Reply with quote
pparker wrote:
furizaa wrote:
So far the anime is much, much darker than the manga

That surprises me, as it's usually the opposite. Maybe they have compressed some of the story in the anime, meaning the manga is as dark but takes more time between spoiler[running over mothers and splattering little girls with trucks... and leaving a 30 meter grease spot]. In any case, it's plenty dark now. I literally cringed at the end, and I almost never physically react to anime.

furizaa wrote:
Now that you mention it, I can't stop picturing the similarities in how Kuro and Shana look, haha. Even Keita and Yuji Sakai are starting to look similar to me. I say only looks though, as the characters are pretty different personality wise.

I only mentioned it because of the comparisons. The same thing happened with Toaru Majutsu no Index as well, and that show did have more of the Shana feel to it when it started (just based on the studio, IMO), though pretty quickly proved to be, umm, different and not in a good way. I hope that Kuro gets more depth of development, though. My attraction for Shana was immediate and only increased. I didn't get that love at first sight feeling with Kuro, though she is of course cute as hell in whatever it is she's not wearing and her fighter attitude pumps my blood.

Well as of the end of volume 3 in the manga (chapter 21), we have now witnessed spoiler[the splattering of poor Mayu], but just from seeing episode one of the anime, I still stand by my arguement that the anime is darker than the manga, even if just a little. The manga is starting to turn out pretty darn good though, so I'll definitely keep on reading.

I dunno how you feel about Kuro, having only seen her just from the anime, but I love her character from reading the manga. As of so far (chapter 21), I don't really see that much depth in her character, at least, nothing ground-breaking and original, but I still love her for her typical air-headedness and unending appetite.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
pparker

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2009 2:15 am Reply with quote
furizaa wrote:
I dunno how you feel about Kuro, having only seen her just from the anime, but I love her character from reading the manga. As of so far (chapter 21), I don't really see that much depth in her character, at least, nothing ground-breaking and original, but I still love her for her typical air-headedness and unending appetite.

Oh, I like her fine, and if the anime keeps up this pace I'll certainly watch it. I know it's tough measuring up to Shana Wink

I don't doubt you're right about the darkness of the anime. I wonder though why they felt so much the need to regress the lead character to high school if the level of violence was even worse. I understand demographics, but at the same time I wouldn't invite a 14 year old to watch that episode. I wouldn't stop them, but I wouldn't recommend it either.
IxVashxI

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2009 3:08 pm Reply with quote
poor Mayu.....im sad...-__- I never wanted to see that. at least in manga its you know no so bad. but come on! its like Kanon spoiler[Well at least the car Flipped]
Jedi General

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2009 1:54 am Reply with quote
I haven't seen the first episode yet as I'm waiting to see if I'll be able to watch Bandai's dub somehow, but things don't sound all that promising concerning changes made to the story. It seems as though they made the story and characters even more generic than they are in the manga and I'm ... not really looking forward to that. However, I am glad to hear that the production values are great, which is to be expected from Sunrise.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
daedelus

PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2009 4:05 am Reply with quote
I was fairly impressed with the dub considering how quickly it has to be produced and because the ADR work only has pre-production footage(or something to that effect) to work with in dubbing the show. I was kinda blown away to hear Laura Bailey with a variation of her Sana voice as the main character. I thought it an interesting choice.

The story seems very intriguing. Hopefully everyone who watched tonight's episode stuck around till after the ED for an epilogue. Interesting little twist. It was a little more violent than what I was expecting. I'm not referring to the fight, but rather the truck vs. pedestrian incident right before the credits rolled. Kinda shocked me.

So far, so good. I'm looking forward to the next episode!
Jedi General

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2009 5:38 pm Reply with quote
Managed to catch the first episode dubbed. Surprisingly I don't mind the changes thus far at all. They've got the basic foundation down, just executed differently. I actually like it better than how the manga started off.

As for the dub, I love it thus far. Laura Bailey as Kuro is an excellent fit. Anime catgrin

Not to mention the action scenes are kick-ass! Incredibly fun to watch. I made an animated GIF of the "Bat Man" getting his rear handed to him by Kuro.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
pparker

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2009 6:45 pm Reply with quote
Jedi General wrote:
Not to mention the action scenes are kick-ass! Incredibly fun to watch. I made an animated GIF of the "Bat Man" getting his rear handed to him by Kuro.

I just love that spoiler[she hits him about 50 times before he ever touches the ground Smile.]
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4