• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Azumanga Daioh's genre

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Encyclopedia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
KariShyGirl

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2005 12:53 am Reply with quote
I was just wondering if you could change the genre of Azumanga Daioh to shoujo. People are going around saying Azumanga Daioh is a shounen, and when asked how it is, they say it is because it came from Dengeki Daioh, but what strikes me as odd is that so did Figure 17, and it is a shoujo, so how can Azumanga Daioh be a shounen just because it was in a shounen magazine, yet Figure 17 came from the same magazine, and is a shoujo?

Just because it is in a certain magazine directed towards a certain gender, doesn't mean all of it's contents are for that gender, it just has a majority of mangas that are shounen. If anyone is willing to explain to me what makes Azumanga Daioh a shounen (you can't use "because it was in a shounen magazine", because so is Figure 17, and Figure 17 is a shoujo) please can you tell me.

I can give you at least 3 reasons it is a shoujo.

1. It has no major male roles.
2. It focuses on the relationship of 5 girls who are friends.
3. It tends to be cute, and funny, not action orientated, and no fanservice is given.
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2005 1:24 am Reply with quote
Welcome to ANN. In the future, you can submit errors through the "Report an error in this page" button, located at the bottom of the page.

I'm really glad we have users like you, for not so long ago I was annoyed by an anonymous user who kept submitting dozens of error reports claiming that "this anime is shounen because its manga counterpart was serialized on Shounen Jump / Shounen Sunday." Because of his/her anonymity, I could not contact this person and tell him/her to stop. Judging genre solely based on which magazine it was serialized in is not the brightest method, IMNSHO.

However, I have to disagree with you on AzuDai being shoujo for two major reasons:

1. It has no serious romantic relationship. Those in AzuDai are intended to be laughed at, not to be mimicked. More than 95% shoujo titles contains at least one romatic relationship; most of the times it's between protagonists, but a few of them are only among side characters.

2. There's very little character development. They stay the way they are, from the beginning to the end.

KariShyGirl wrote:
1. It has no major male roles.

Tons of shounen-ai and yaoi titles have no major female roles, yet they are perfectly shoujo. Anime smallmouth

In addition to AzuDai, there are many, many other titles which can't be dichotomized into either shounen or shoujo. Please feel free to take a look at the genre determination thread a while ago.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Nagisa

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2005 2:11 am Reply with quote
KariShyGirl wrote:
3. It tends to be cute, and funny, not action orientated, and no fanservice is given.

Haibane Renmei & Serial Experiments Lain both lacked in action & fanservice, and neither of them can properly be categorised as shounen. And Ah! My Goddess is cute & funny, and is more shounen than shoujo (it's even a romance story, to boot). Laughing
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
KariShyGirl

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2005 6:41 am Reply with quote
This is towards dormcat, Thank you Anime smile, and thank you for that compliment Anime smile. The reason I would like it to be in shoujo is because if it is to be anything, it is shoujo, sure it lacks some things that shoujo has, but it doesn't have anything that a typical shounen contains, it can't be in the middle, because that would mean that it was equally both, but there is no shounen elements in it, only some shoujo. Yaoi and shounen-ai may not have female major characters, but they do deal with relationships, therefore that would make it more shoujo, but Azumanga Daioh has no major male character, and it has no shounen elements to make it a shounen, I could see if there were no male characters, but the characters of Azumanga Daioh did things that could show it was aimed towards boys, I mean at least then it would have some typical shounen element, but Azumanga Daioh has no shounen elements, so comparing it to yaoi and shounen-ai does not help it. Still no one explains to me how it is shounen, you explain what parts of shoujo it lacks, although it does have shoujo elements, the fact that it deals with friendship in every episode that is majorly what Azumanga Daioh is, 5 girls who are friends who live out their friendship with each other, which is a relationship.

This is towards Nagisa, I don't want this to sound rude Sad, but you just proved my point, you say Haibane Renmei and Serial Experients Lain both lacked action, and fanservice, and neither of them can be catergorised as shounen, that is exactly what I am saying, Azumanga Daioh is not shounen, it didn't have anything that classifies it as shounen, but the person who put the genre of shounen for it thinks it is just because of the magazine it was published in, and I wanted it changed.

I will make now instead of that list, I will make a Shoujo Elements and Shounen Elements Azumanga Daioh has list.

Shoujo Element

1. A major focus on friendship, which has to do with relationship.
2. tends to be overly cute.

Shounen Element

1. I can't find any, if anyone can tell me any shounen elements in Azumanga Daioh, please let me know.
quincyarcher

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2005 7:15 am Reply with quote
KariShyGirl wrote:

Shounen Element

1. I can't find any, if anyone can tell me any shounen elements in Azumanga Daioh, please let me know.

Cute and marketable girls. Laughing

Truth to be told, the problem with defining it as shoujo is the relationships between the girls don't really progress very far. Shoujo tends to have more progressive and fluid relationships.

And cutesy-ness can be found in both shounen and shoujo titles. How else can you explain Chobits, hmm?

Albiet, I still cling to the serialization magazine way of defining what audience a manga is directed to. Although girls may enjoy a series, if the serialization magazine is directed towards males, it will never enjoy a huge female fanbase in Japan (mind you, because we'll never have the manga market that is in Japan and I'm quite glad for that, that manga in other countries can be enjoyed by both genders).

The two magazines that I'd suggest were different are Shonen Sunday and Shonen Jump, because they're institutions of a different manner. Because they've got a wider audience, especially in regards to the animes, these two serials have a more cross gender appeal that other magazines can't boast.
Dan42
Chief Encyclopedist

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2005 8:17 am Reply with quote
Here's a novel idea: it's neither shounen nor shoujo, but rather SEINEN! You know, there's a bit more to anime & manga than just shounen or shoujo. When I think about it, Figure 17 would also fall under seinen, so doesn't that make Dengeki Daioh a seinen magazine?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
quincyarcher

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2005 1:29 pm Reply with quote
Dan42 wrote:
Here's a novel idea: it's neither shounen nor shoujo, but rather SEINEN! You know, there's a bit more to anime & manga than just shounen or shoujo. When I think about it, Figure 17 would also fall under seinen, so doesn't that make Dengeki Daioh a seinen magazine?

Indeed, it is seinen, but there's no genre marker for seinen. Confused
abunai
Old Regular

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2005 2:25 pm Reply with quote
Seriously... does it have to be anything? Can't it just be "Comedy", and leave it at that?

Not ever manga or anime is necessarily either shoujo or shounen.

- abunai
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
areaseven
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2005 2:34 pm Reply with quote
KariShyGirl wrote:
3. It tends to be cute, and funny, not action oriented, and no fanservice is given.

Well, there's Di Gi Charat - it's ridiculously cute and funny, but is definitely NOT shoujo.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2005 5:01 pm Reply with quote
KariShyGirl wrote:
The reason I would like it to be in shoujo is because if it is to be anything, it is shoujo, sure it lacks some things that shoujo has, but it doesn't have anything that a typical shounen contains, it can't be in the middle, because that would mean that it was equally both, but there is no shounen elements in it, only some shoujo.

Why can't it be in the middle?

As I said before, there's no need to dichotomize. While we don't routinely use gender to differentiate other forms of media (text-based books, live action TV/movies, stage/radio drama), why must we do this on anime and manga?

KariShyGirl wrote:

Non-romantic friendship (between several, usually 3-4, male characters and usually with one female character; sentai-styled) is one of the three pillars of shounen genre. The other two are victory and endeavor.

KariShyGirl wrote:

OS-tans, binchou-tan, aircraft-tans, Afghanis-tan and Pakis-tan, and all other tan-girls are cute chibi designs, yet their primary target is definately male. Click hereif you don't know how cute they are.

abunai wrote:
Seriously... does it have to be anything? Can't it just be "Comedy", and leave it at that?

Seconded.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Nagisa

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2005 6:31 pm Reply with quote
KariShyGirl wrote:
This is towards Nagisa, I don't want this to sound rude Sad, but you just proved my point

I misread. You still have yet to touch upon my Ah! My Goddess example, though. And to correct my previous example, there is indeed the occasional shoujo with some level of action and even fanservice: Fushigi Yuugi & Sailor Moon come to mind here. X as well, though it's a bit of a stretch.

KariShyGirl wrote:

Again, Ah! My Goddess. Or as much as I despise its very being, Love Hina. Neither are regarded as shoujo.

KariShyGirl wrote:

As has been mentioned, DiGi Charat. Not shoujo.

KariShyGirl wrote:

Characters that are easily marketable to the male-dominated Japanese market for anime. The existence of some degree of moe could also be argued.

dormcat wrote:
abunai wrote:

Seconded.

Thirded, I guess. Japanese anime is not "black-and-white" either shounen or shoujo. Some titles are neither, or even arguably both.
woelfie
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2005 7:27 pm Reply with quote
KariShyGirl wrote:
If anyone is willing to explain to me what makes Azumanga Daioh a shounen please can you tell me.

If I like it, it must be shounen, if I don't it's shoujo... Hah, that might be a good way to determine "boys" or "girls" manga. Wink
On the other hand, I liked Figure 17 and not Mai the psychic girl. (Oops, my female side is coming up again) Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
KariShyGirl

PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2005 5:17 am Reply with quote
Nagisa wrote:
KariShyGirl wrote:
This is towards Nagisa, I don't want this to sound rude Sad, but you just proved my point

I misread. You still have yet to touch upon my Ah! My Goddess example, though. And to correct my previous example, there is indeed the occasional shoujo with some level of action and even fanservice: Fushigi Yuugi & Sailor Moon come to mind here. X as well, though it's a bit of a stretch.

KariShyGirl wrote:

Again, Ah! My Goddess. Or as much as I despise its very being, Love Hina. Neither are regarded as shoujo.

KariShyGirl wrote:

As has been mentioned, DiGi Charat. Not shoujo.

KariShyGirl wrote:

Characters that are easily marketable to the male-dominated Japanese market for anime. The existence of some degree of moe could also be argued.

dormcat wrote:
abunai wrote:

Seconded.

Thirded, I guess. Japanese anime is not "black-and-white" either shounen or shoujo. Some titles are neither, or even arguably both.

Does anyone know what rates shoujo and shounen?, it is the group it is directed towards, just because it can be marketed towards guys doesn't mean anything, look at the dreaded, I don't like using this word but, C...Card....Cardcaptors :: freaks out ::, it was marketed towards guys, yet it was really Card Captor Sakura, a shoujo, just because it can be marketed towards guys doesn't make it a shounen. look at this site http://www.katandnekomanga.ca/Shoujo/ShoujoHome.htm

Nagisa, I guess you are right about Ah! My Goddess, can you tell me though how DiGi Charat is shounen?, I googled ""DiGi Charat" shounen", and ""DiGi Charat" shoujo" and the only site that I see that does mention both DiGi Charat and shounen as describing it, and not talking about another anime, is this site. Dan42, quincyarcher, do you even know what seinen is?, in case you don't know, seinen is anime/manga that is directed towards adult guys. What I am about to tell you proves that guys can be easily marketed, if you tell a guy who like weapons that a doll can be used as a weapon, a boy who likes weapons might buy one, that is marketing, doesn't mean dolls are directed towards guys, but they can be marketed to boys using certain methods, just like Azumanga Daioh can be marketed towards guys, but doesn't mean it is directed towards guys.

It doesn't have to be anything, but it bothers me when some guys think all anime are directed towards them no matter what it has in it, and say it is shounen just because they like it. So far no one still has mentioned how it is shounen, they have mentioned what parts of shoujo it lacks, and the fact that guys can easily be marketed even if it isn't directed towards them, people say "some shounen is cute", but Azumanga Daioh isn't just plain cute, it is overly cute.
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2005 8:00 am Reply with quote
This might get a bit long, but let's sort things altogether.

KariShyGirl wrote:
Does anyone know what rates shoujo and shounen?, it is the group it is directed towards, just because it can be marketed towards guys doesn't mean anything

I have a feeling that, while you are defending your opinion against Nagisa, Dan42, and quincyarcher, you are avoiding my questions and statements. I really don't want to mention it for three times, but what does the word DICHOTOMIZE mean to you?

KariShyGirl wrote:
look at the dreaded, I don't like using this word but, C...Card....Cardcaptors :: freaks out ::, it was marketed towards guys, yet it was really Card Captor Sakura, a shoujo, just because it can be marketed towards guys doesn't make it a shounen. look at this site http://www.katandnekomanga.ca/Shoujo/ShoujoHome.htm

Neither ANN Encyclopedia nor anyone here has claimed that CCS is a shounen title. No one. And I don't think any intelligent fan would make such a statement either.

Now I understand the basis of your claim. The website has a list of so-called shoujo manga titles, yet IMNSHO they are "non-shounen titles." Many of them, such as AzuDai, SaiKano, and even Mao-chan (note: Ken Akamatsu and shoujo don't mix Razz ), contains very little or no gender-specific indicator.

Shadow Star as shoujo?! Gimme a break. Mad

KariShyGirl wrote:
Nagisa, I guess you are right about Ah! My Goddess, can you tell me though how DiGi Charat is shounen?

Well, I don't consider Di Gi Charat as shounen either, for it does not have the "shounen triumvirate." However...

KariShyGirl wrote:
I googled ""DiGi Charat" shounen", and ""DiGi Charat" shoujo" and the only site that I see that does mention both DiGi Charat and shounen as describing it, and not talking about another anime, is this site.

...this is the funniest method to prove one's point of view I've ever seen. Having more Google hits does not mean being correct.

KariShyGirl wrote:
Dan42, quincyarcher, do you even know what seinen is?, in case you don't know, seinen is anime/manga that is directed towards adult guys.

A person who doesn't know that basic knowledge would not have a title between his screen name and avatar.

KariShyGirl wrote:
just like Azumanga Daioh can be marketed towards guys, but doesn't mean it is directed towards guys.

I'm all ears to your proof that AzuDai was directed towards girls in the first place.

KariShyGirl wrote:
It doesn't have to be anything, but it bothers me when some guys think all anime are directed towards them no matter what it has in it, and say it is shounen just because they like it.

I believe woelfie was joking. Sorry for him if he wasn't.

KariShyGirl wrote:
So far no one still has mentioned how it is shounen,

The shounen genre has been taken down from AzuDai's page for quite a while. Have you checked it again?

KariShyGirl wrote:
people say "some shounen is cute", but Azumanga Daioh isn't just plain cute, it is overly cute.

IMO, AzuDai can't compete cuteness with aforementioned tan-girls. Not even as cute as Yotsubato!.

Finally, watch your punctuation usage.
Nagisa

PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2005 9:22 am Reply with quote
KariShyGirl wrote:
it was marketed towards guys, yet it was really Card Captor Sakura, a shoujo, just because it can be marketed towards guys doesn't make it a shounen.

Bad example. You're talking about a show whose source material was heavily altered to skew its target audience in a different direction, not a show that was made with that audience in mind in the first place. Cardcaptors shouldn't be considered "shounen" anyway because that version of the show is essentially illegitimate.

KariShyGirl wrote:
can you tell me though how DiGi Charat is shounen?,

I never said it was. All I said was that it's not shoujo.

KariShyGirl wrote:
What I am about to tell you proves that guys can be easily marketed, if you tell a guy who like weapons that a doll can be used as a weapon, a boy who likes weapons might buy one, that is marketing, doesn't mean dolls are directed towards guys, but they can be marketed to boys using certain methods, just like Azumanga Daioh can be marketed towards guys, but doesn't mean it is directed towards guys.

That doesn't prove anything. Rather, it just sounds more like a sexist assumption on the dullness of the male mind. Are you saying females are inherently smarter and more immune to shameless marketing?

KariShyGirl wrote:
It doesn't have to be anything, but it bothers me when some guys think all anime are directed towards them no matter what it has in it, and say it is shounen just because they like it.

Where has this happened, exactly?

KariShyGirl wrote:
So far no one still has mentioned how it is shounen,

No one has mentioned how it's shoujo, either. Your arguments hold as little water as those on the opposite end, sorry to say.

KariShyGirl wrote:
people say "some shounen is cute", but Azumanga Daioh isn't just plain cute, it is overly cute.

Cute is quantified? The mathematical level of "cuteness" in something determines its genre?
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Encyclopedia All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2