• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Aniplex Announces Part of Durarara's English Dub Cast

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BlackJaded

PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2010 11:47 am Reply with quote
sanosuke32 wrote:
Otaku Teahouse wrote:
John Casey wrote:
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
John Casey wrote:
Quote:

Aniplex added that it will not be using the English Baccano! voice actors
for the same characters in Durarara!!.

Oh, go to hell.... Evil or Very Mad

Oh no, the show is entirely ruined and worthless because of a miscast 15 second cameo.

Yep. >:<

Sarcasm aside, I'm not pissed because of that - I'm pissed that they're too lazy to even attempt the 15 second cameo. If FUNI got an out-of-studio actor on another's request, Scott McNeil, then surely it's not so difficult to get Tatum and Glass to speak out a few lines.

Especially since the actors themselves love the roles so much. This is just laziness on the part of Bang Zoom and I'm afraid the rest of the quality of the dub might reflect that laziness.

If they got Kari and Crispin which means it's unionized, i doubt they'd be lazy with the dub... maybe Michael and Caitlin are just busy and don't feel like traveling out there for a minute or two.

Mr. Sherman, If your reading this post, listen for all the fans please bring Caitlin Glass and J. Michael Tatum for their roles, it would be amazing and you would highest recognition you have and we would all forget BS talk you made in April, this is your only shot to redeem yourself as a CEO and become a true bro.

Thanks,
To every anime fans.
Aura Ichadora

PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2010 12:04 pm Reply with quote
...Is not having the Baccano! VAs come in and voice their cameos THAT much of a downer to people? o.O I haven't seen either series (watched plenty of reviews for them though), but honestly for a quick moment in the show, can't the viewer just pretend the lines are being spoken by the Baccano! VAs and then move on? Or just accept the fact that it's not being done and deal with it? I really don't see how this is such a big deal.

And who knows? The VAs that are covering the cameos could be just as good or better than the originals - you'll never know if you count them out right away.
MeggieMay

PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2010 12:41 pm Reply with quote
sanosuke32 wrote:
Otaku Teahouse wrote:
John Casey wrote:
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
John Casey wrote:
Quote:

Aniplex added that it will not be using the English Baccano! voice actors
for the same characters in Durarara!!.

Oh, go to hell.... Evil or Very Mad

Oh no, the show is entirely ruined and worthless because of a miscast 15 second cameo.

Yep. >:<

Sarcasm aside, I'm not pissed because of that - I'm pissed that they're too lazy to even attempt the 15 second cameo. If FUNI got an out-of-studio actor on another's request, Scott McNeil, then surely it's not so difficult to get Tatum and Glass to speak out a few lines.

Especially since the actors themselves love the roles so much. This is just laziness on the part of Bang Zoom and I'm afraid the rest of the quality of the dub might reflect that laziness.

If they got Kari and Crispin which means it's unionized, i doubt they'd be lazy with the dub... maybe Michael and Caitlin are just busy and don't feel like traveling out there for a minute or two.

First off, I missed that comment when I originally read the article. My first thought was "well that makes my buying Durarara right away less likely." The more I thought about it, the more I realized that wasn't quite how I felt (it'll really depend on finances, what sort of price I can find the set at, and other factors) but I'm also turned off by Aniplex/BZ not even trying to get the actors for a short cameo.

That said, it very well may be a Union issue (the dub has to be Union because Freeman doesn't do non-Union these days (not sure what Kari's thoughts are on the subject)). Lets not mix apple and oranges when it comes to Texas (Funimation) and California (BangZoom) dubs. It really is easier for Texas to get Scott McNeil for a dub than it might be for BZ to get Tatum and Glass because these states have different work laws. Still, it seems BZ or Aniplex didn't want to take the effort to do it to begin with, though there could be something else at work here. One scenario could be Aniplex didn't like the Baccano dub and this is one reason they didn't return to Funimation to begin with? If so they're totally nuts, IMNSHO!! Still, I'm not saying this is what is really going on but I do think I it should be pointed out that these things can be a lot more complicated than just someone not asking/attempting to get voice actors and issues like this can happen.

Still, I don't think they even asked Tatum or Glass to begin with, though once again I don't rule anything out. I can't think of a reason for Tatum to turn it down but Glass is another issue all together (she's not really working as a VA anymore so she might turn it down on those grounds alone). Anyway, I am very disappointed in this turn of events.
Megiddo

PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2010 12:47 pm Reply with quote
They have like 30 seconds of screentime.

You dub fans will complain about anything, won't ya? Just a few weeks ago everyone thought it was going to be a sub only release, and now because of a small cameo people are whining?

I don't care, cause DRRR!! is like "Baccano! in Japan" for kids. Without the actual violence and fast-paced story, DRRR!! just didn't do it for me.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2010 1:08 pm Reply with quote
Megiddo wrote:

I don't care, cause DRRR!! is like "Baccano! in Japan" for kids. Without the actual violence and fast-paced story, DRRR!! just didn't do it for me.

That and the main character and namesake of the show is relegated to a side character who only serves as a tool to help a bunch of brats out in the second half of the show. Maybe it'd have been better if more of the novels were adapted, but the show as it exists in its current 26 episode format is really disappointing, especially after the first half was actually very exciting at times.
MeggieMay

PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2010 1:24 pm Reply with quote
Megiddo wrote:
They have like 30 seconds of screentime.

You dub fans will complain about anything, won't ya? Just a few weeks ago everyone thought it was going to be a sub only release, and now because of a small cameo people are whining?

Well there are sub fans who complain that English dubs exist to begin with and fans who won't be buying Eden of the East because the Oasis OP is only going to be on one episode. It's fandom Megiddo, we whine! Grass is green, the sky is blue and fans, no matter what the thing is they're fans about, will always find something to complain about and all's right with the world Razz .

Obviously this is a issue of importance to some. Just how important is yet to be seen. I think the main issue, at least for me, is how Aniplex made it clear no cameo's from the get go. The more I think about it the less I'm upset about the lack of a cameo and the more I'm wondering just how poorly did Baccano! sell and did this issue lead to bad blood between Funi and Aniplex with Durarara? I think what's becoming more worrisome to me is having to accept just how bad Baccano! may have sold (it may have done well on Hulu but the DVD sales seem to be a issue here). From the ANNCast comment about it doing "OK, alright" (same wording used for Hellgirl and we know where the subsequent seasons for that one ended up - it seems it may be the code word for "bad" with Funi) to the general feelings I get about Baccano sales and now this quick dismissal of using any Funi actors for a cameo and I'm starting to wonder if we're seeing some smoke to a fire or something? Lets hope I'm just having one of those weekends where I'm over thinking everything and am wrong on this subject but sometimes I get like this and I'm right. So I'm now wondering just what is going on here and if maybe it is actually something to be worry about.
braves

PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2010 1:37 pm Reply with quote
I actually just watched the episode of Durarara! where Isaac and Miria make their appearance (yeah, I watch things at my own pace). For sure, they're only on-screen for 30 or seconds, but it's right in the middle of a rather significant sequence for both the storyline and the development of the main character.... It's going to be distracting to hear different voices coming out of their mouths.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
LagannImpact

PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2010 2:14 pm Reply with quote
braves wrote:
I actually just watched the episode of Durarara! where Isaac and Miria make their appearance (yeah, I watch things at my own pace). For sure, they're only on-screen for 30 or seconds, but it's right in the middle of a rather significant sequence for both the storyline and the development of the main character.... It's going to be distracting to hear different voices coming out of their mouths.

Well ain't this an itty bitty bucket of fail? I kinda hope the actors they get to replace Tatum and Glass at least SOUND like them, you know kinda like how Patrick Seitz can sound kinda like Travis Willingham. The question is will this show be an [as] or Syfy acquisition in 2011?
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2010 2:16 pm Reply with quote
braves wrote:
It's going to be distracting to hear different voices coming out of their mouths.

Not if you haven't seen Baccano, which I hadn't at the time. While the scene they are in may be important, they are not since they have no involvement in the story whatsoever.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
sanosuke32

PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2010 3:56 pm Reply with quote
LagannImpact wrote:
braves wrote:

Well ain't this an itty bitty bucket of fail? I kinda hope the actors they get to replace Tatum and Glass at least SOUND like them, you know kinda like how Patrick Seitz can sound kinda like Travis Willingham. The question is will this show be an [as] or Syfy acquisition in 2011?

Lol, you mean how Seitz can sound exactly like Travis, haha. I think Seitz could actually pull off Isaac, and honestly, I think there are a few actresses who can sound like Glass.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2010 5:05 pm Reply with quote
LagannImpact wrote:
The question is will this show be an [as] or Syfy acquisition in 2011?

This show is definitely not getting on TV. You've got random things like Sci-Fi like 100 Stories, and then crap like Kekkaishi on [as]. Nothing else.
OutlawGundam

PostPosted: Sun Aug 01, 2010 9:00 pm Reply with quote
I'm so glad Bang Zoom is dubbing Durarara, I've almost always love their work. I'm just curious to find out who the rest of the cast will be. I'm already excited about Crispin Freeman voicing Shizuo. One of my favorite voce actors playing one of my favorite characters. I imagine it will have a bit of Tsume from Wolf's Rain to his voice.

Here are my picks for the rest of the cast.

Simon: Michael McCoonohie
Anri: Stephanie Sheh
Kida: Yuri Lowenthal or Sam Riegel
Shinra: Liam O'Brien
Izaya: Johnny Yong Bosch
Raven Shinobi

PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2010 5:19 pm Reply with quote
That's pretty good casting choices so far. Freeman sounds different from Ono, but I bet he'll deliver as Shizuo, and that's the type of character he's mostly suited to.

I on the other hand hope Bosch won't play Izaya. I quite liked Bosch's Koizumi and Almaz, especially the latter that I thought he had surpassed his JP counterpart. But Izaya is playful, insinuating and impish, and Bosch isn't suited for this type of role IMO. He would make a good Shinra, though.
Ashen Phoenix

PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2010 5:25 pm Reply with quote
Raven Shinobi wrote:
That's pretty good casting choices so far. Freeman sounds different from Ono, but I bet he'll deliver as Shizuo, and that's the type of character he's mostly suited to.

I on the other hand hope Bosch won't play Izaya. I quite liked Bosch's Koizumi and Almaz, especially the latter that I thought he had surpassed his JP counterpart. But Izaya is playful, insinuating and impish, and Bosch isn't suited for this type of role IMO. He would make a good Shinra, though.

Couldn't agree with you more.

I'm a fan of Bosch but, indeed, in this case I think another VA would be a better fit for Izaya.
garfield15

PostPosted: Sat Sep 25, 2010 7:18 am Reply with quote
What the hell did Vic Mignogna do to anybody?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5