• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Gonzo Anime Studio Returns to Profitability This Year

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jtstellar

PostPosted: Fri Dec 31, 2010 3:23 am Reply with quote
this is why bankruptcy works.. you liquidate the debts and you get an excuse to get rid of unnecessary baggage in your company that is dragging you down with increased costs of production etc.. get rid of bad managers and executives in the process.. get rid of senior personnel that don't output in justification of their pays..

precisely why many us banks and industries should have gone bankrupt in the 2008 crisis ya i kno i'm gonna start hearing economic illiterates "that would've been bad!" out of their ass and repeat those shit economists who couldn't see crap coming's dooms day scenario had we let banks go out of business

grats now you're stuck with a bunch of companies leeching money with unproductive company structures that will never change, taxpayer funded.

bankruptcy and company restructuring works thanks for proving that point gonzo
zaeris

PostPosted: Fri Dec 31, 2010 3:40 am Reply with quote
jtstellar wrote:
this is why bankruptcy works.. you liquidate the debts and you get an excuse to get rid of unnecessary baggage in your company that is dragging you down with increased costs of production etc.. get rid of bad managers and executives in the process.. get rid of senior personnel that don't output in justification of their pays..

precisely why many us banks and industries should have gone bankrupt in the 2008 crisis ya i kno i'm gonna start hearing economic illiterates "that would've been bad!" out of their ass and repeat those shit economists who couldn't see crap coming's dooms day scenario had we let banks go out of business

grats now you're stuck with a bunch of companies leeching money with unproductive company structures that will never change, taxpayer funded.

lol, of course you're going to get a lot of economic lecturing by sprouting this.

If the finance sector goes bankrupt this would actually cause a state of crisis that will eventually send the country into recession. Think the Asian economic crisis and current, the Ireland Banking sector which seems to be in trouble at this stage although I did read they were going to rely on IMF for aid.

I don't think Gonzo went into Bankruptcy. It was only a restructuring that occur I believe. Which is possible to continue operation ( although it is possible to continue operating after declaring bankruptcy). They did sell off a lot of their sub division assets which can be attribute to some of the profit gain, although I would say Gonzo has good relationship within the industry that pull them through.
MorwenLaicoriel

PostPosted: Fri Dec 31, 2010 4:45 am Reply with quote
Weiss_Yohji wrote:

Clumsy animating style? What the hell are you talking about?

I saw nothing clumsily animated about Gankutsuou, Trinity Blood, Blassreiter, Welcome to the NHK [...]

Wait, are you serious? There's some really, really nice looking moments in NHK, but there's wonky, off-model moments throughout, including an episode (episode 18 or 19 I believe) that's nearly entirely off model, where the characters barely have faces at some points. I actually am really surprised that the actors in both version still managed to pull off good performances in that episode. There's some points with wonky animation in that show that you could maybe argue this was an artistic choice to show the character's twisted perceptions or something, but...in that episode, no, they just plain ran out of budget or gave up with that episode, it's horrific. I honestly have never, ever seen an anime look as bad as that one episode.

I think NHK is probably the worse I've seen it, but there's plenty off moments in Gonzo shows (outside of Gankutsuou--I can't remember that show ever looking anything but gorgeous). I know Chrono Crusade definitely have some off frames and scenes, but they were much better at hiding it with that one--I mostly know because I've gone through it frame-by-frame at times. The first season of FMP doesn't look as good as the KyoAni seasons, either--although to be fair KyoAni is known for their series looking *really* good. This isn't JUST a Gonzo thing, other studios have off-model moments or use shortcuts, but you certainly can't say that Gonzo shows always look perfect.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address My Anime My Manga
egoist

PostPosted: Fri Dec 31, 2010 7:41 am Reply with quote
Weiss_Yohji wrote:
Clumsy animating style? What the hell are you talking about?

Lacking grace 'the hell I'm talking about.

Quote:
Did we even watch the same shows?

Not with the same eyes and brain, no we didn't.
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Fri Dec 31, 2010 8:46 am Reply with quote
Weiss_Yohji wrote:
I saw nothing clumsily animated about Gankutsuou, Trinity Blood, Blassreiter, Welcome to the NHK, SaiKano, Hellsing, Last Exile, Blue Submarine No. 6, Full Metal Panic, Chrono Crusade, Desert Punk, The Tower of Druaga, Linebarrels of Iron, Pumpkin Scissors, Witchblade, Afro Samurai, or anything else they did. Did we even watch the same shows?

"Anything else" does still include Bakuretsu Tenshi (with its famous variable breasts), Dragonaut, Glass Fleet and even Real Bout High School (which I've still not seen a single episode of).
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Sacto0562

PostPosted: Sun Jan 02, 2011 1:13 am Reply with quote
I do know that they did a GREAT job on a couple of shows I remember well: Kiddy Grade, Kaleido Star and Romeo x Juliet were well-regarded works from this studio.

Hoping for some good anime from GONZO in the next few years. Smile
agila61

PostPosted: Sun Jan 02, 2011 2:05 pm Reply with quote
jtstellar wrote:

Quite. Now, there are liability that we don't want to be dragged down, such as depositor accounts, but what ought to be done in that case is to take the company into receivership, sort out the liabilities that there is a public benefit in protecting, split them off into a "good bank" with enough sound assets to back them, and then send the balance of the assets and the speculative liabilities and hand it back to the shareholders and creditors, letting them take it through regular bankruptcy proceedings.

As it is, we are letting the speculators use the essential services that they provide to hold us hostage to the risks they take in their speculative activities, privatizing any gains and socializing any losses.

And that is relevant to the anime industry because ... uhh ... that Panic of 2008 sure did hit the anime market hard, when it was already reeling from the twin perils of an aging Japanese population and bootleg piracy? Maybe?
ArsenicSteel

PostPosted: Sun Jan 02, 2011 5:51 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Wait, are you serious? There's some really, really nice looking moments in NHK, but there's wonky, off-model moments throughout, including an episode (episode 18 or 19 I believe) that's nearly entirely off model, where the characters barely have faces at some points. I actually am really surprised that the actors in both version still managed to pull off good performances in that episode.

You guys are talking about Welcome to the NHK the anime with the mentally unstable protagonist that constantly imagines talking animals and faceless people, right?
To my understanding off-model moments of that anime were on purpose.

Japanese VA performances are not changed by how the animation looks because their performances are done before any animation is done.

I don't think off-model character animation would bother English VAs.
braves

PostPosted: Sun Jan 02, 2011 9:40 pm Reply with quote
MorwenLaicoriel wrote:
Wait, are you serious? There's some really, really nice looking moments in NHK, but there's wonky, off-model moments throughout, including an episode (episode 18 or 19 I believe) that's nearly entirely off model, where the characters barely have faces at some points. I actually am really surprised that the actors in both version still managed to pull off good performances in that episode. There's some points with wonky animation in that show that you could maybe argue this was an artistic choice to show the character's twisted perceptions or something, but...in that episode, no, they just plain ran out of budget or gave up with that episode, it's horrific. I honestly have never, ever seen an anime look as bad as that one episode.
I decided to look up the credits for episode 19 and it's just as I suspected. The episode/animation director is Erukin Kawabata, another of one of those episode directors who likes to use to use gifs animators (Hiroshi Ikehata being the most prominent one). It's not a matter of them running out of budget (names like Hiroyuki Okuno and Shingo Natsume are respectable), so it is an artistic intent.

I'll leave the debate on the quality of the animation being done by gifs animators for another day.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
MorwenLaicoriel

PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2011 1:23 am Reply with quote
ArsenicSteel wrote:
Quote:
Wait, are you serious? There's some really, really nice looking moments in NHK, but there's wonky, off-model moments throughout, including an episode (episode 18 or 19 I believe) that's nearly entirely off model, where the characters barely have faces at some points. I actually am really surprised that the actors in both version still managed to pull off good performances in that episode.

You guys are talking about Welcome to the NHK the anime with the mentally unstable protagonist that constantly imagines talking animals and faceless people, right?
To my understanding off-model moments of that anime were on purpose.

Japanese VA performances are not changed by how the animation looks because their performances are done before any animation is done.

Those faceless character models and stuff are usually when Satou is having some sort of delusion, those weird scenes in 19 were mostly just normal conversations he's having with other characters--during which he's sort of sad, but much more calm and lucid than he typically is. In fact the only part of that entire episode that's in the normal style of the show is a scene of Satou playing the online game.

Also, I know for sure that at least in some projects Japanese VA perform to the finished animation. I've seen special features in both Spirited Away and Fruits Basket that show the actors doing this, and I remember an interview with the seiyuu that worked on Princess Tutu mentioning that the animation was so behind schedule with the final episode that they didn't even have storyboards to act against (and this was presented as an unusual thing). Maybe this isn't always the case, but I've gotten the impression from several sources that it's seen as pretty normal for anime.

(According to what I've read, that used to be the norm in the US, too, until the actors involved in the Popeye shorts complained that they kept having to adlib all the dialogue because the animators couldn't animate the lip flaps to match the scripted dialogue at all.)

braves wrote:
I decided to look up the credits for episode 19 and it's just as I suspected. The episode/animation director is Erukin Kawabata, another of one of those episode directors who likes to use to use gifs animators (Hiroshi Ikehata being the most prominent one). It's not a matter of them running out of budget (names like Hiroyuki Okuno and Shingo Natsume are respectable), so it is an artistic intent.

I'll leave the debate on the quality of the animation being done by gifs animators for another day.

I've actually never heard of that style(?) of animation before, which I guess is why I was thrown off of it. I apologize for calling it an error, then--it was so outside the norm of the typical style for the TV series that I assumed that was all it could be. (I still don't know if it was a good idea to have one single episode look like that, particularly since it doesn't make a whole lot of since in terms of the point of the story...but oh well.)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2011 9:52 am Reply with quote
I don't know if things have changed more recently, but traditionally Japanese ADR was recorded against "leica reels" (animatics).
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Sanosuke_Inara

PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2011 1:15 pm Reply with quote
6Hokage wrote:
Eww, Gonzo - the only studio without single good show ever made. How is it they still around?
Pfft, like hell. They've made a number of great shows.

Anyway, glad to see them still alive. 2 of my favorite anime came from them(Gantz and Red Garden, so this is good news.
dragonrider_cody

PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2011 8:15 pm Reply with quote
jtstellar wrote:

WOW! I love the fact that you refer to "financial illiterates" when you are not able to form a complete sentence, nor understand how bankruptcy protection works.

First of all, bankruptcy has nothing to do with Gonzo, as they NEVER FILED FOR BANKRUPTCY. They were delisted from the Nikkei because their stock lost the majority of it's value and traded below minimum requirements. They then laid off a large portion of their staff, sold off several assets and restructured their business. They never filed for any sort of legal protection in the process.

Also, bankruptcy does not "liquidate" your debts. Corporations cannot file bankruptcy and simply write off all the money they owe. If that were the case, companies would do it far more often.

In bankruptcy, a company is given some breathing room to reorganize their finances. They will usually try to work with creditors to refinance debt, exchange ownership in the company for the creditor writing off some of the debt, or some sort of other asset exchange. During the time they are negotiating, the creditors are generally prevented from filing lawsuits outside of the bankruptcy court. Also any deals reached must be approved by the court, if any deals are reached.

To enter bankruptcy, a corporation must generally have some sort of "debtor in possession" financing agreement with a major bank. This money provides them capital to operate during their bankruptcy hearings, and this creditor generally becomes first in line to get paid back when the company emerges.

If a company fails to reach agreements with it's creditors during a chapter 11 bankruptcy, it will likely end up in Chapter 7. In a chapter 7 bankruptcy, the company ceases operations and all assets are transferred to a trustee. These assets are then sold or leveraged in some way to pay back as much money as possible to the creditors. A company cannot emerge from Chapter 7, though it's name and other assets may be a sold to new owners.

Anyway, seeing Gonzo return to profitability is a good thing in my book. Unfortunately, most of their catalog ends up at Funimation, but at least they have made some good shows over the year, including my favorite Chrono Crusade. Good luck to them.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4