• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The List - 10 Tearjerkers That'll Empty the Tissue Box

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mai Yukino

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 10:58 am Reply with quote
I defintely will support the choice of having Air on the list, I often feel it is overshadowed by Clannad when it comes to tearjerkers. Air was one series that made me cry the most when it comes to Key's works, with thespoiler[ emotional exchange between Minagi and Michiru on top of the school roof and the tragic goodbye of Kanna and Ryuya and their star-crossed love alongside what happened to Misuzu.]

Other tearjerking moments I would like to mention that haven't been included...

Rurouni Kenshin:Tsuiokuhen-spoiler[Tomoe Yukishiro's death and Kenshin's emotional good-bye to her.]

Legend of the Galactic Heroes-spoiler[Siegfried Kircheis' early demise in the first season finale, for me his death was the most tragic of the series for me considering he sacrificed much for Reinhard's sake, I was teary eyed for quite a while on having to watch the series without Kircheis, he was one of the best characters of LOGH IMO.]

Mobile Fighter G-Gundam
-spoiler[I was really emotional after watching eps. 44 and 45 after Domon lost both his brother Kyoji/Schwarz after finding out the truth about what happened and feeling regretful for going after Kyoji as an enemy, the brothers tearful and brief reunion before Domon had to do what he had to do was heartwrenching, and what made it even worse was in the episode after between Domon and Master Asia in their final battle and having his beloved master die in his arms after their tearful chant of the creed of the School of the Undefeated of the East. Heck, the episodes after in which Domon has to go through the aftermath of the deaths of those he loved is made worse when his true enemy, Ulube kidnaps his beloved Rain and uses her to reawaken the Devil Gundam.]
ANN_Lynzee
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 12:14 pm Reply with quote
CrownKlown wrote:
octopodpie wrote:
CrownKlown wrote:
Dam, no love for shoujo works here I guess because having seen pretty much every Key work none of them got more than a meh out of me, maybe the last scene of Air, but Full Moon was said.

Regarding Now and then, honestly that show is more disturbing than sad, same with Grave. These are shows that put something in solely for the sake of getting certain emotions from you, but are not genuinely sad due to the forced feelings of the work.

I don't think I've ever heard the opinion that Grave of the Fireflies feels forced. The rendition of average citizens, children, trying to survive during war conditions outside of society rang pretty true to me.

It is forced, it exploits children, albeit fictional ones, by putting them in a situation that could have easily been shown through adult point of view simply to make a message. Same with now and then, a lazy writer will use children, which tend to easily illicit emotions from others a lot more easier than adults and teens. Hell animals are the same thing. Killing a puppy is more likely to ellict emotions of sadness in many than a full grown man being shot in a battle field.

So I do find it contrived because I am sure the writers/creators of Grave could have easily got the same message across without using children.

And if you have Grave and Now and then , then why not sky crawlers? That is a film about children being pitted against each other in battles to the death in stimulated warfare for the amusement of the populace with the story focusing on one particular group where the kids have died over and over again.

As others wrote previously, Grave of the Fireflies is based on a semi-autobiographical novel. Semi-autobiographical novel in that the author obviously didn't meet the same fate as Seita since he was able to write it. It was written as an apology to his sister, who did meet the same fate at Setsuko.

It sits uncomfortably with me for someone to say the man is a "lazy writer" for using his sister to illicit emotions when he was overwrought with guilt for her real death.

Quark wrote:
As much as I loved AnoHana, I couldn't cry over the end of that series. The ending where spoiler[the friends are standing around and crying in an overly-dramatic manner] felt really forced, and it kind of took me out of the quiet sadness that the series was tinged with.

I felt the exact same way during that scene which is why the series isn't particularly high on my personal list.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
daisy23

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 12:24 pm Reply with quote
The end of Penguindrum definitely is a tearjerker.

The last volume of Nana with spoiler[Ren's death]

I've seen a couple of people saying X/1999 but nobody has mentioned Tokyo Babylon! spoiler[The death of Hokuto Sumeragi and Subaru's breakdown]

The last chapter is going to be released next month but with all the set up and spoilers from the original series it's quite obvious that the worst scene of Fushigi Yuugi Genbu Kaiden is going to be spoiler[Takiko Okuda being consumed by Genbu, her death by his father and his suicide]
Key

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 12:30 pm Reply with quote
Megiddo wrote:
Key wrote:
I'd still take the scene from Clannad After Story that everyone's been talking about as the #1 scene from a Key title.
I wouldn't disagree with you at all if not for spoiler[the author completely retconning that entire event (as well as everything Tomoya went through post-Nagisa's death)]

It was definitely a strong scene for sure.

Oh, the point you're talking about lowered my overall opinion of the series a notch or two, but didn't interfere with the impact that particular scene had.

CrownKlown wrote:
It is forced, it exploits children, albeit fictional ones, by putting them in a situation that could have easily been shown through adult point of view simply to make a message. Same with now and then, a lazy writer will use children, which tend to easily illicit emotions from others a lot more easier than adults and teens. Hell animals are the same thing. Killing a puppy is more likely to ellict emotions of sadness in many than a full grown man being shot in a battle field.

So I do find it contrived because I am sure the writers/creators of Grave could have easily got the same message across without using children.

I'll add my voice to the chorus of those saying that you're completely missing the background behind the story. The author is on record as saying that GotF was written specifically as an apology to his kid sister, who really did die from malnutrition during World War II, something that he always felt partly responsible for. It's also partly meant to show the well-documented fact that Japanese adults at the time were not terribly sympathetic towards war orphans. (This is also shown in Barefoot Gen).
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
RyanSaotome

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 12:46 pm Reply with quote
Wow only 1 Key, and no Clannad? Thats surprising... if I made a top 10 list like this it would be nearly all Key. Nobody can make you cry like Maeda can.

And #1, as long as JC Staffs adaption of it is somewhat close to the VN, will be Little Busters: Refrain. No question... Its my favorite all time anime/manga/vn scene.
Neohybrid_kai

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 2:36 pm Reply with quote
The highly subjective part of the article made it looks more like a blog post than ANN article, lol. Not that I'm complaining, in fact, tear jerking anime is one of my fave genre (if you can call that a genre). I know that they're just fictional characters (with exception for some) but you can't help to feel empathy for them. Interestingly, many close friend of mine IRL came from those anime fans who share the same empathy with the same series.

As for my personal pick
AIR: the most influential and emotional compared to other KEY's work. It has family drama but also romance theme with super romantic theme (thousand summers, winged being, star crosse lover), and everything about the last episode is just unforgettable (the song, the scene, the quote).
KimiNozo: still bring up the good ole debate Haruka vs Mitsuki between me and my friends whenever a topic about relationship is brought up.
5 cm/s: hits the HARDEST, its probably the only anime that didn't shy away of telling an honest story from the perspective of a failed attempt, without trying to look tough. I completely agree with the "without that set up, the last five minutes of the film wouldn't succeed at being so poignant and emotional." part.
Natsume Yuujinchou also has many tearjerking scenes, especially if you are the kind of people who value chemistry or the time you spend with a person rather than the relationship status itself. This anime is like a big collection of "from hello to goodbye stories" which are more touching than the "will they or won't they" drama.
Kaiji also has its own tear jerking moment (but maybe it only works for the male viewer), along with Rainbow - Nisha Rokubou no Shichinin.
And from the recent series, Utakoi and Natsuyuki Rendezvous is a good choice if you want to drown yourself in emotional pool
Last but not least, The Princess and The Pilot, which hold the runner up position after 5 cm/s in my list. The ending is very memorable, thanks God I watched that movie alone, I was still sobbing when the credit rolled. I always fond of the spoiler[ unnamed hero/untold story plot, it made you feel that you are part of the people who watched/knew the truth ]. Thats why I also like Code Geass' spoiler[Lelouch] and Umineko's spoiler[Beatrice. Its like telling you to not believe in everything easily unless you see/hear/experience it by yourself, don't judge bad people easily because the truth is sometimes the opposite (though interestingly Umineko also teaches the opposite, about trust and belief). ]
joshjoshlol

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 2:38 pm Reply with quote
Uh... why was Real Folk Blues included in this list? Seriously? Spike's ending was left open-ended intentionally, Watanabe even mentioned this specifically by stating that even he is unsure if Spike lives or not.

Quote:
I've never officially said that he's died. At this point, I can tell you that I'm not sure if he's alive or dead.
I think probably rather than being yelled at for killing Spike, I think ... people are more upset that I might
make a continuation.

Not exactly a tear-jerking ending.

Now, Gundam 0080 and it's tragic conclusion? My good god above, you have to be inhuman to not get all teary eyed with that one. Even non-mecha fans agree that it's one of the saddest series out there. Not sure how it could have been neglected.
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 2:48 pm Reply with quote
CrownKlown wrote:

And if you have Grave and Now and then , then why not sky crawlers? That is a film about children being pitted against each other in battles to the death in stimulated warfare for the amusement of the populace with the story focusing on one particular group where the kids have died over and over again.

You could write off literally every sad story about children, both based on real events and entirely fictional ones, using this particularly specious bit of non-criticism. You're probably trolling, but man this is a really cynical - like cynical to the point of being intellectually lazy - way to look at things. Grave of the Fireflies is not considered "cheap emotional manipulation just trying to get a reaction by using kids" by any rational, sane person who's seen the film.

Cynicism at this level has no place in film criticism. All it does is complain about sincerity and passion, which is inherently an important part of most cinematic drama. You have to throw this viewpoint out if you want to seriously consider film as an art form, period.
ANN_Lynzee
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 3:00 pm Reply with quote
joshjoshlol wrote:
Uh... why was Real Folk Blues included in this list? Seriously? Spike's ending was left open-ended intentionally, Watanabe even mentioned this specifically by stating that even he is unsure if Spike lives or not.

Quote:
I've never officially said that he's died. At this point, I can tell you that I'm not sure if he's alive or dead.
I think probably rather than being yelled at for killing Spike, I think ... people are more upset that I might
make a continuation.

Not exactly a tear-jerking ending.

Now, Gundam 0080 and it's tragic conclusion? My good god above, you have to be inhuman to not get all teary eyed with that one. Even non-mecha fans agree that it's one of the saddest series out there. Not sure how it could have been neglected.

I didn't know that Watanabe declined to comment on Spike's fate, but the symbolism in the last episode and its tie-back to episode 13, along with the song lyrics to "Blue" pretty much beats you over the head that he's dead.

Also: I haven't seen Gundam 0080, so I can't comment on it.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
inuhime

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 3:34 pm Reply with quote
the wired knight wrote:

Fushigi Yuugi spoiler[Nuriko's death]

Man, I remember that episode! I watched it before going to work and was in a state of shock during my shift! And spoiler[Mitsukake's death was pretty upsetting as well, more for Chichiri's reaction to it than anything. Mitsukake gives up his life force to save a baby girl who bears his beloved's name and the dying Konan and Kutou soliders are also healed. When they get up and start fighting again, Chichiri yells at them to stop and just leave.] Gets to me everytime. Crying or Very sad
koinosuke

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 4:38 pm Reply with quote
CrownKlown wrote:

It is forced, it exploits children, albeit fictional ones, by putting them in a situation that could have easily been shown through adult point of view simply to make a message. Same with now and then, a lazy writer will use children, which tend to easily illicit emotions from others a lot more easier than adults and teens....

This has been said a few times already, but I just need to hammer down that Grave of the Fireflies is a film version of a semi-autobiographical book, the only major difference from reality that the books portrays being that the author of course lived. He killed himself off in his own book because of the guilt he felt about his sister dying and feeling like that was all he deserved.
Basically, it seems like your point is "anything featuring children is contrived," which frankly would still be a little ridiculous even if the characters had been the creation of director Takahata Isao rather than basically historical people.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 4:54 pm Reply with quote
The ending to Cowboy Bebop makes absolute zero sense if spoiler[Spike survives]. That's like saying Joe from Ashita no Joe spoiler[survived the fight with Jose Mendoza.]
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
noblesse oblige

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 4:57 pm Reply with quote
Would someone mind telling me the proper way to use a spoiler tag before I make my post? Thanks.
flawed

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 4:59 pm Reply with quote
Angel Beats, Basilisk, Shiki, Samurai X-Trust/Betrayal, and Peacemaker would have been in my list.
Ryu Shoji

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 5:19 pm Reply with quote
My list would start with episodes, 9, 10 and 12 of Puella Magi Madoka Magica? (Or the whole show). That show is one massive emotional roller-coaster, but spoiler[Sayaka's downfall and Kyoko's sacrifice], spoiler[Homura's desperation to save Madoka] and spoiler[Madoka's wish, the level of her sacrifice and Sayaka hearing Kyosuke play Ave Maria one last time] are moments that will reduce me to tears every time. Heck, even some of the series' background information (such as Charlotte's origins) are really sad.

The entirety of Grave of the Fireflies is painful to watch. I don't think I have seen a film as powerful as that one and I doubt I ever will. Not sure I could watch it a second time...

Personally, the most heart-wrenching part of Steins;Gate for me was spoiler[when Okabe went back in time over and over again to try and stop Mayuri from dying and each time, no matter how desperate he became, she would die in many different ways].

I also found the ending of K-ON!! to be touching. Not because of melodrama, death or anything like that, but because of the whole mood of leaving school and leaving a stage of your life, it brought back memories of my time at school and how I don't speak to anyone from back then, then I see the K-ON!! cast and wonder if, in 5 years time, would they still be as good friends as they are now?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 8 of 10