• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Fruits Basket (see 2nd post for thread info)

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga
View previous topic :: View next topic  
fighterholic

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2007 1:25 am Reply with quote
LydiaDianne wrote:
Please tell me that there was a very nice drawing of spoiler[Hiro holding the baby with his mother in the classic pose of hands over mouth crying. Actually, I'd probably settle for anything but I'd like that sort of pose the best!]

*Runs upstairs really quick to check through the volumes, rushes back downstairs to the computer*
Not really so much spoiler[she had her hands over her mouth, Hiro was holding Hinata, and their mom had a look of joy on her face. Hiro said "gomen" and said that he felt a whole bunch of things at the moment, mainly confusion, and he felt that he should be happier about it. His mom started telling him that it was because he had lived with the spirit for so long that it wasn't that was let go so easily. But we do her holding both her children after saying that.]
LydiaDianne

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2007 1:54 am Reply with quote
fighterholic wrote:
LydiaDianne wrote:
Please tell me that there was a very nice drawing of spoiler[Hiro holding the baby with his mother in the classic pose of hands over mouth crying. Actually, I'd probably settle for anything but I'd like that sort of pose the best!]

*Runs upstairs really quick to check through the volumes, rushes back downstairs to the computer*
Not really so much spoiler[she had her hands over her mouth, Hiro was holding Hinata, and their mom had a look of joy on her face. Hiro said "gomen" and said that he felt a whole bunch of things at the moment, mainly confusion, and he felt that he should be happier about it. His mom started telling him that it was because he had lived with the spirit for so long that it wasn't that was let go so easily. But we do her holding both her children after saying that.]

Awww, I can't wait to see that!

Thanks!
aya_honda

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2007 9:30 am Reply with quote
murph76 wrote:

I think spoiler[maybe they start to understand each other during the trip to the summer house. It's the scene after Hiro goes off about Tohru's mom, causing Tohru to worry she's done something wrong. Kyo tells Hiro she doesn't seem a cheerful as usual that day while Hiro is thinking Tohru's her usual perky self. Sure, that conversation starts off with Kyo losing his temper and accusing Hiro of saying something to upset Tohru, which brings a smart-mouth response for Hiro. But, once the conversation turns to Tohru becoming less cheerful, Kyo's anger turns to concern for Tohru and Hiro doesn't have any sarcastic reply. If I remember that scene correctly, that is. Of course, in my reading Hiro doesn't appear again until the play, and doesn't interact with Kyo, so I could be way off base.] Very Happy

Yes, I remember that scene and thanks, murph, for reminding it to me. I actually agree with you very much. I think that both Kyo and Hiro resemble very much. spoiler[ There's also latter on a scene when Hiro and Kisa wait for Tohru at home (cause Shigure told them so) and Kyo comes. He asks what are they doing here and Hiro starts to think that Kyo has attacked Kisa and as such he starts to have those annoying retorts that make a pest out of him when he really wants it. But then all of the sudden Kisa says "Hello" to Kyo and and the guy answers really nicely. Even more, he tells them when Tohru is coming back. After Kyo goes away, Kisa says that Kyo has answered her heloo and it is no wonder because he also treats Tohru wonderfully. And Hiro remembers the scene which you mentioned.]

I think that it was that instant that Hiro realized that spoiler[Kyo loves or at least likes Tohru very much. Later that day, all the smaller jyuunishi gather around to make some food and Tohru becomes really alarmed not to see Kyo around them. So Momiji goes get him. At that point Hiro really says out loud his thoughts about this. How he has realized that they love each other (Yuki says that it is obvious even to a thirteen year old) and that things may be difficult to them since Kyo is the nekotsuki. ]

So perhaps Hiro is more mature then we might have expected from him. While for him and Ayame...... Laughing Laughing Laughing and let's not forget Laughing The scene between them would have been really HILARIOUS. Wink
fighterholic

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2007 1:45 pm Reply with quote
I think it amazing that spoiler[the whole part of the younger gang was able to figure out that Kyo had fallen for Tohru, but maybe it was because he made it kind of obvious. If anybody has to really bring it to the surface though, it has to be Hiro. Cause he's the one who talks.]

One of the things essential to Hiro spoiler[having to grow up was making mistakes, and learning from them. One, such as what he said to Akito which resulted in Kisa getting hurt. Two, saying what he said to Tohru about why she didn't have a picture of her father and only her mother, which in turn started to bring out memories for Tohru. This resulted in Kisa getting upset with him, saying that he can't assume that just because they look happy and don't seem affected doesn't mean that they aren't hurting inside. Three, witnessing Akito pushing Rin out of the window, and when realizing that Rin is nowhere to be found in later volumes, makes the stand and tells Haru the truth. Four, telling Kisa the truth about what happened to her while keeping it to himself all that time and suffering his own way for it. Kisa was very forgiving to say the least.]
aya_honda

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2007 1:56 pm Reply with quote
I think that he had to say all those things to Kisa for the simple fact that spoiler[it was the final step for him becoming much more mature. I remember even now how different he is in the beginning when he doesn't care about anyone and cares only for doing what he wants or saying what he wants (even if it wasn't to Kisa) and then we see him stand up for Rin and Haru. ]

The scene when spoiler[he tells everything to Haru is one of the most interesting and most moving scenes for the simple fact that he succeeds in saving not one but two love stories. The first one is between Rin and Haru. This relationship has gone through so many hardships that at some point it seemed really impossible for them to be together. But then Hiro confesses everything to Haru so as to make him understand why Rin has gone through so much trouble alone. On the other hand Hiro admits that there are some people, really good people, who suffer unnecessarily and that makes him have a stand. At the same time he succeeds in "saving" his relationship with Kisa. Well, save isn't exactly the appropriate word but I think that only in that instance Kisa succeeds in truly understanding Hiro and finally seeing the sacrifice that he had to do as well. ]

Because if I remember correctly spoiler[ there was a time when Hiro has behaved quite coldly towards Kisa so as not to draw Akito's attention upon her again. I can only imagine how painful must be to be away from the person whom one loves so much in order to protect her. ] And this is a really moving aspect for which Hiro must be only admired.
fighterholic

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:39 pm Reply with quote
Some of Hiro's funnier moments when he's with Kisa:

spoiler[Kisa: Shigure ojichan, you've just been sitting there. Are you not going to swim?
Shigure: Mmm, ojichan can't swim that well.
Tohru: So you're getting a tan then?
Shigure: Actually, it's more like...mizugi moe.
*Hiro grabs Kisa by the hand and is storming off*
Kisa: Wha? Wha?
Tohru: Wha?
Shigure: I was only kidding.]

spoiler[Kisa: I'm really looking to everybody's perfomances.
Hiro: I guess it was just the entrance that was weird. Anyways Kisa make sure to watch out, okay?
Kisa: Don't worry Hiro, there's a lot of people here, but I won't bump into anybody.
Hiro: (That's not what I MEAN!! Damn it! Get out of here you pervs!!)]

Some good laughs in there and even better Kisa has no idea what's going on Laughing
aya_honda

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2007 2:36 pm Reply with quote
fighterholic wrote:

spoiler[Kisa: I'm really looking to everybody's perfomances.
Hiro: I guess it was just the entrance that was weird. Anyways Kisa make sure to watch out, okay?
Kisa: Don't worry Hiro, there's a lot of people here, but I won't bump into anybody.
Hiro: (That's not what I MEAN!! Damn it! Get out of here you pervs!!)]

And I can't forget his jealous look as well, especially when spoiler[Haru took Kisa in his arms to make sure that no one will touch her. It was such a wonderful and amusing moment as well. ]

I also liked Hiro's expression spoiler[when he realized that Kyo loves Tohru and was so surprised that Haru made fun of him. He resembled so much to Kyo when he had the embarrassed look upon his face. ]

I am also amused by the relationship that exists between him and Momiji. spoiler[ When him and Kisa are invited to the summer house and Hiro sees Kisa so happy he says something like "It's only the rabbit's fault!". And then when they fall asleep Momiji is between Hiro and Kisa. I always found them so different and yet so strong both of them. Although Hiro seems to be annoyed by Momiji's presence, he also seems to respect him in a kind of a twisted way. ]

What do you think?
LydiaDianne

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2007 11:50 pm Reply with quote
This is off-topic but this was something that was written by Tortiseshell Tabby Girl in the American Anime Awards Winners thread:

Quote:
As for Fruits Basket--I rarely seem to be interested in anything that has achieved the popularity that Fruits Basket has, and yet I adore and greatly admire the quality of Fruits Basket. It can be classified as a shojo manga, and yet, whenever I dip my mind into it, I experience something so much more than I do in other shojo manga. It is a masterpiece in its own right because what it strives to do, it does excellently. It has touched and moved me while I've read it and has stayed within me and made me think about emotions and relationships and family. Its purpose has never been to be a great literary epic that reflects on the greater conflicts that exist in our world. It deals with the joy, pain, suffering, and courage that make up the smaller worlds that most people live in, worlds made up of the people we know--our family, friends, acquaintances, classmates, etc. It focuses on a microcosm that can have just as many seemingly insurmountable obstacles and struggles as the greater world, obstacles and struggles that are no less important than the greater ones.

That was beautifully written, IMO. Perhaps we should have her come play with us! Wink Very Happy

For the complete post: animenewsnetwork.com/bbs/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=390070#390070
aya_honda

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2007 2:34 am Reply with quote
LydiaDianne wrote:
This is off-topic but this was something that was written by Tortiseshell Tabby Girl in the American Anime Awards Winners thread:

Quote:
As for Fruits Basket--I rarely seem to be interested in anything that has achieved the popularity that Fruits Basket has, and yet I adore and greatly admire the quality of Fruits Basket. It can be classified as a shojo manga, and yet, whenever I dip my mind into it, I experience something so much more than I do in other shojo manga. It is a masterpiece in its own right because what it strives to do, it does excellently. It has touched and moved me while I've read it and has stayed within me and made me think about emotions and relationships and family. Its purpose has never been to be a great literary epic that reflects on the greater conflicts that exist in our world. It deals with the joy, pain, suffering, and courage that make up the smaller worlds that most people live in, worlds made up of the people we know--our family, friends, acquaintances, classmates, etc. It focuses on a microcosm that can have just as many seemingly insurmountable obstacles and struggles as the greater world, obstacles and struggles that are no less important than the greater ones.

That was beautifully written, IMO. Perhaps we should have her come play with us! Wink Very Happy

For the complete post: animenewsnetwork.com/bbs/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=390070#390070

I read all her post. Wow, I am most impressed by the way she writes. Wonderful way of telling which is the essence of Fruits Basket. Thanks, LydiaDianne, for showing the post. It was a a really beautiful reading. And definetly we should invite her to play with us. Who will do the honors? Wink Laughing
fighterholic

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2007 2:48 am Reply with quote
She does seem to understand what is in Fruits Basket, well written. I'll let one of you guys do the honors, I'm really tired as I'm typing on the computer at 11:30 pm for the first time today.

I think it's amusing to see Hiro spoiler[jealous when (in the funny moments) Kisa is with somebody else either by coincidence or intentionally. But Hiro and Kisa have had to overcome obstacles between them throughout the series, definetly. Hiro and his mouth, Kisa and her shying away from people, which Hiro wanted to help but couldn't. Then there was the fight between them at the beach house, which left Hiro stumped. But they both made up, which was good. And then Hiro proved himself with telling Haru about Rin, and I think the coolest part about Hiro was our series finale, when Hiro told Kisa that it was okay to cry.]
aya_honda

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2007 7:14 am Reply with quote
I think that what really surprised me about Hiro at the spoiler[fight at the summer house was the fact that Kisa finally took a stand and put Hiro back to his place. The fact that she has enough power to make him aware of certain aspects of life. Hiro is many times unaware of how much sufferance and anger his words can produce. And Kisa makes him aware of this. Sometimes she succeeds, other times....]

Last edited by aya_honda on Thu Mar 01, 2007 1:56 pm; edited 1 time in total
fighterholic

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2007 1:15 pm Reply with quote
aya_honda wrote:
I think that what really surprised Hiro at the spoiler[fight at the summer beach was the fact that Kisa finally took a stand and put Hiro back to his place. The fact that she has enough power to make him aware of certain aspects of life. Hiro is many times unaware of how much sufferance and anger his words can produce. And Kisa makes him aware of this. Sometimes she succeeds, other times....]

I think they spoiler[both needed that situation to happen, because it did bring them closer and taught Hiro to in a way respect others. But it also gave Kisa another view of Hiro, a softer side when she went to apologize to him. ]
aya_honda

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2007 2:03 pm Reply with quote
That's true... In a way, I think that this might actually have happened. spoiler[They both have become aware that they have to change a little bit. Kisa needs to take the courage to talk with Hiro openly and tell him when he is wrong, and Hiro learned that in a way he was wrong as well. ]

But he also has a much gentle side definetly: spoiler[the way he was so concerned about his mother when being pregnant and the way he took care of his little sister, though he was coursed and couldn't do much.] Hiro can be so much more.
fighterholic

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2007 2:11 pm Reply with quote
What Hiro spoiler[didn't realize in the beginning was that he had truly loving parents who took care of him and were willing to understand him. After his run in with Tohru and eventually caring for Kisa, he found out what it was like to have something important, such as having baby Hinata. Hiro's mom is an excellent model figure of a loving and caring parent, which you do not see very often in the Zodiac circle.]
aya_honda

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2007 2:24 pm Reply with quote
Most certainly. I think that he truly appreciated her towards the ending of the manga, when spoiler[he was released from the course and she understood so well his feelings about it. At the same time she was the right mom Hiro needed. I think that a serious mom would have ruined him but a mom so wonderfully happy all the time and the fact that she always knew how to handle him only proved that Hiro was a lucky jyuunishi. ]

Btw, I was wondering: did he spoiler[trained like all the other zodiacs with Kazuma? I mean, I know that it ws this custom but I'm not sure if this happened with Hiro as well. I can only picture him facing the perfect calm of Kazuma. That would have been really nice to see. ]
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 52 of 170