• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: New York Comic-con 2007 Dates

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
LydiaDianne

PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2006 10:53 pm Reply with quote
Why was it called a "catastrophic success"?

Too many people in a small area? Major fights over Plushies?
CochraneO

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2006 8:49 am Reply with quote
LydiaDianne wrote:
Why was it called a "catastrophic success"?

Too many people in a small area? Major fights over Plushies?

Presumably, the "catastrophic success" description refers to last year's overcrowding, with thousands more people coming in to attend (especially on the Saturday) than the facility could accomodate. The show was a "success" in that those who could attend found it to be a great show; the show was "catastrophic" in that maybe as many as 10,000 who wanted to attend were turned away.

Apparently, this year they've taken a bit more space. And who knows? Maybe there'll be a blizzard in New York in February that'll keep folks at home...
Emerje

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2006 2:02 pm Reply with quote
Javits is going to be pretty busy that month. The American International Toy Fair is only the week before.

Emerje
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
FMAFan16

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2006 10:02 am Reply with quote
I was at last years Comic Con in NYC and it was overcrowded there at times. I had to wait on very long lines to get in there and I already had advance tickets.
CorneredAngel

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2006 10:05 am Reply with quote
Of course, the irony is that SDCC attracts what, like a hundred-twenty thousand people, and the crowding is never particularly bad. It's just that for a show that size, the Javits is an almost uniquely bad location.

...the other irony is that all through the thing, the side of the building that had the panel rooms, etc., was pretty much a *wasteland*.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1