• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Non-Japanese stories that would make good anime.

Goto page   Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
KyuuA4

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2006 4:41 am Reply with quote
What are some non-Japanese stories that could make good anime?

Assume, take something from say -- America -- and submit the story to a Japanese animation studio - particularly one who do good work - like GONZO. And yes, they'll be produced under the direction of the Japanese. Would such a story be good anime?

For example, Star Wars, X-Men, and Batman could be made into good anime. If Matrix and Terminator was allowed to be rewritten - then those could be made into good anime as well.

Naturally, this would never happen due to Copyright.

NOTE: I also said in terms of "could" and "would" -- not "can" and "will". There's a major difference; as all this is complete speculation. Razz
Hisdon

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2006 5:39 am Reply with quote
I'd have to say Stephen King's Dark Tower series myself; it's got everything a drama could ask for, action, romance, ect

however I heard it ends on a bad note, I havn't finished them yet so I wouldn't know :S
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2006 6:17 am Reply with quote
KyuuA4 wrote:
What are some non-Japanese stories that could make good anime?

World Masterpiece Theater

KyuuA4 wrote:
NOTE: I also said in terms of "could" and "would" -- not "can" and "will". There's a major difference; as all this is complete speculation. Razz

You just decreased the value of your own thread.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
mjgeo

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2006 6:43 am Reply with quote
An anime based on Drizzt Do'Urden and all the books he has been in.

There is a lot of material to source there.[/url]
Greennunu

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2006 8:20 am Reply with quote
The main timeline in Dragonlance Saga.
Xenosaga(the entire series+more if possible) so I can skip playing the game as long as the main points don't alter.
TestamentSaki

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2006 8:28 am Reply with quote
Any Stephen King story (Preferably 'Salem's Lot)
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
IchigoK90

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2006 8:29 am Reply with quote
I would actually like to see an anime version of Jet Lis last martial arts movie: Fearless. I would be interested in how the japanese would interepret this story from their point of view since it was the Japanese that killed Huo Juan Jia.

NOTE: Sorry there are no apostraphes on the keyboard I am using right now.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
Kidder

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2006 8:37 am Reply with quote
I don't think I've seen any Zombie-survival themed anime along the veins of Dawn of the Dead etc. I could really imagine a dark, pyschological thriller series (possibly 13 eps) based on a similar premise.

From the first post: I reckon a Terminator-themed anime based around John Conner's rise to leadership in the future post-apocalyptic world would make for a fantastic anime.

I'd love to see some of Terry Pratchett's Discworld books made into animes. I believe that 2 were made with pretty low budgets and horrible animation. However I'm not sure if the humour in the Discworld books would translate well into Japanese.
selenta
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2006 10:26 am Reply with quote
Anne McAffrey's Pern. Ever since I first started reading the series back when I was 9, I've been wanting to see a masterpiece of film pulled from it. I don't know if it'll ever happen, but if you've read part of the series, I think you'll agree with me that if you want an absolutely spellbinding slice of life in an a fascinating pseudo sci-fi/fantasy world, it's absolutely among the best.

I've said this one every time this concept comes up, and I've yet to encounter anything else that would make me even consider recommending anything else. The potential really is there for this series.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
fighterholic

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2006 11:40 am Reply with quote
TestamentSaki wrote:
Any Stephen King story (Preferably 'Salem's Lot)

Bringing the brilliance of Stephen King to the Japanese, a very bold move, Dreamcatcher or Carrie, maybe?
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2006 11:50 am Reply with quote
I'm sure I replied to a thread like this recently. My reply was that I'd thought of the question recently myself and for some reason thought of the Nicholas Fisk children's scif-fi novels like Starstormers and Trillons.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
MorwenLaicoriel

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2006 12:07 pm Reply with quote
I've always thought that Megan Whalen Turner's Queen's Thief series (The Thief, The Queen of Attolia, and The King of Attolia) would make a great anime TV series or series of movies in the right hands. The first book--with Gen's snarky attitude, and the quest to find a magical stone--sounds vaguely similar to Fullmetal Alchemist (although vastly different when actually compared). If it was done in a more serious style like FMA or GITS:SAC, it'd probably make a fairly entertaining adventure anime.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Ohoni

Just about anything could be turned into anime. And I wouldn't write off Starwars, Batman, or the X-Men, they could definitely become anime if their copywrite owners allowed them to make it (such as the current Witchblade anime series). Anime is big money, and so long as they got a cut, what do they care?
LydiaDianne

I would have to go with David Weber's Honor Harrington novels. REALLY great space military sci-fi books. Sort of based on the stories of Captain Horatio Hornblower...but waaaay better. Especially if you follow Harrington from her midshipwoman cruise through "today" where not only is she a Steadholder, a Duchess, Admirals for TWO different planetary systems navies, holder of the highest military awards both systems have to offer, she is also a mother!

Another good book is also by Weber and is called In Fury Born some of you may know it as Path of the Fury but Weber has re-written it and has provided a small view of her childhood, then goes on to her first assignment after getting out of Marine Boot Camp, Shallingsport and what caused her to resign from the Imperial Cadre. Right now I reading the part of the book that was the "original" Fury. There are some changes so far but I haven't gotten that far into yet.

Another good one would be Mutineer's Moon. But ADV holds the rights to this one and other than a VERY short-lived website that showed conceptual paintings, it has gone positively NO WHERE! anime#1814 Stupid slackers!
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2006 12:31 pm Reply with quote
Hisdon wrote:
I'd have to say Stephen King's Dark Tower series myself; it's got everything a drama could ask for, action, romance, ect

however I heard it ends on a bad note, I havn't finished them yet so I wouldn't know :S

I am delighted to find someone who's read the Dark Tower Series besdies myself. Some of, if not the best, the best work King ever did. I've only read up to the Wolves of Callah myself. Interested to see how he ends the series since he said he wasn't sure he ever could in an interview many many years ago. Anyway, back on topic. I agree the Drizzit books, all 2 dozen or so, would be a great anime. Here are some I think would be good;

1. If people are going to use the novels of Pern as an idea then you've gotta include Mercedes Lackey Valdemar books. They have so much depth and character development. Read them all at least 4 times.
2. The Witchblade comics would be great as an anime. That live action series kinda stank something aweful. Fortunetly there are making this into an anime, so we'll just have to see if it's any good or not.
3. Since they're turning Witchblade into and anime they could try other comics such as Lady Death or Purgatory. I don't mean the aweful Lady Death animated movie that made me weep. I love Christine Auten and the voices she does but Lady Death... I still shiver. Her voice acting wasn't that bad...just the horrible animation and the plot...so bastardized. Do it some justice, give it 26 episodes at least. Got enough material for about 5 seasons.
4. As for video games, they should do a Resident Evil and Silent Hill anime series. Maybe a good 2-3 season anime can wipe away the stench and sludge that's know as Resident Evil Apacolypse. The first movie was pretty decent but 2....shoot me in the head please. Silent Hill was pretty good, the movie, as far as video game adaptations go. With an animated series though they could really add some of the darker more twisted aspects of the series. Maybe also try the Alone in the Dark series.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page   Next
Page 1 of 17