• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Attack on Titan - [adult swim] / Toonami broadcast.

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MacAttack270

PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2014 2:12 am Reply with quote

Attack on Titan (TV)

Genres: action, drama, fantasy, horror, psychological, thriller
Themes: dystopia, gore, military, post-apocalyptic, shapeshifting, superpowers, titans/giants, tragedy

Plot Summary: Several hundred years ago, humans were nearly exterminated by giants. Giants are typically several stories tall, seem to have no intelligence, devour human beings and, worst of all, seem to do it for the pleasure rather than as a food source. A small percentage of humanity survived by enclosing themselves in a city protected by extremely high walls, even taller than the biggest of giants. Flash forward to the present and the city has not seen a giant in over 100 years. Teenage boy Eren and his foster sister Mikasa witness something horrific as the city walls are destroyed by a super giant that appears out of thin air. As the smaller giants flood the city, the two kids watch in horror as their mother is eaten alive. Eren vows that he will murder every single giant and take revenge for all of mankind.
----------------------------------

Gotta say, the dub didn't dissappoint. Definitely a fan of Bryce Papenbrook as Eren. It's nice to not have to read subtitles this go around, but the weekly waits are gonna be killer. Not sure how fans didn't lose their minds the first go around when it simulcast on crunchyroll.

Didn't really care for the shortened OP or ED though, but I guess it comes with the territory of having it air on a network. I'd rather they cut that than the actual content of the episode. It's gonna be a fun ride.
Panzer Vor

PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2014 2:41 am Reply with quote
MacAttack270 wrote:
Didn't really care for the shortened OP or ED though, but I guess it comes with the territory of having it air on a network. I'd rather they cut that than the actual content of the episode. It's gonna be a fun ride.

Actually, the shortened OP was not intentional:

LICH KING DEMARCO @Clarknova1 · 4h
Sorry guys, to be clear we did not cut the opening of AOT or ask for it to be cut, and had planted for the full open to be played.

*planned. Not sure what happened but again, it was not planned. We'll get it fixed ASAP.

In other news, a whole lot of FUNimation folks turned out on Twitter to live-tweet the premiere. Whole lot of gems in their commentary.
MacAttack270

PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2014 2:47 am Reply with quote
Panzer Vor wrote:
Actually, the shortened OP was not intentional:

*planned. Not sure what happened but again, it was not planned. We'll get it fixed ASAP.

Hmm, that's odd, but still, good to hear they're working on getting it fixed for next week. That OP really sets the tone of the show and gets viewers in the mood for each ep.
Panzer Vor

PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2014 3:30 am Reply with quote
Hopefully everything will indeed be in order for next week. Putting in a trimmed opening was definitely a massive screwup.

Moving on from that, selected Twitter commentary from the folks at FUNimation:

Adam Sheehan @neumaverick · 5h
It's not so bad, if you take that arm and draw a transmutation circle around it…oh, wrong show. #AttackOnTitan #Toonami

Felecia Angelle @FeleciaAngelle · 5h
Hey, at least he can still lend a hand around the house! #AttackOnTitan

Mike McFarland @MikeMcFarlandVA · 4h
I always think of Slayer's "Raining Blood" at the end of this episode. #AttackOnTitan

Jamie Marchi @marchimark · 4h
Feel good comedy of the year!!! And that was just the first episode! #AttackOnTitan

Patrick Seitz @Seitz_Unseen · 2h
I hope all you guys are having better viewing experiences out there than I am. But we're ALL having a better day than Moses. #AttackOnTitan
penguintruth

PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2014 4:35 pm Reply with quote
This Toonami run is my first time ever really watching Attack on Titan, I've not seen any significant amount of the Japanese version, so I have little reference.

But wow, was that fandub-level English dubbing. The guy who plays the main character can't act his way out of a paper bag. He sounds like he's trying to do Vic Mignogna as Edward Elric, but it's even worse. There's no level of believability in his emotional responses.

The rest of the cast fares little better. The guy who plays his Mello-looking friend sounds like he's doing his best Greg Ayres impression, and a poor one at that, and frankly seems very inconsistent with even the basic sound of the character. And much like the guy who plays Eren, cannot act to save his life. The female character, whatsherface, seems decent enough, but she doesn't say much, so it's difficult to tell. Any other character or random one-off citizen in town just sounds horrendous. I think there was an old lady in there played by Linda Young, and she sounded stilted and embarrassing to listen to.

Funimation, what happened?

As for the story itself... I'm rooting for the giants.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
leatherhead333

PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2014 4:58 pm Reply with quote
I hate to say this but I REALLY wish Viz Media had gotten their hands on this series instead of Funimation.

They just have access to a bigger pool of more talented VA's than Funi does. I really think they could have done a better job with this one.

Don't get me wrong the dub isn't horrible or anything. It's just.....not impressive so far either. Eren's voice is okay but really inconsistent with the delivery of some lines. Speaking of his V.A why does he do the narration too? That doesn't make much sense to me.

Everyone else sounds ok but that's the problem.........it's only OK.
Hopefully this changes when they grow into their adult voices.
getchman
Space Cowboy

PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2014 4:59 pm Reply with quote
Josh Grelle (Armin) is narrating
leatherhead333

PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2014 5:33 pm Reply with quote
Really? He kind of sounds like Eren for some reason.
Key

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2014 8:01 am Reply with quote
leatherhead333 wrote:
I hate to say this but I REALLY wish Viz Media had gotten their hands on this series instead of Funimation.

They just have access to a bigger pool of more talented VA's than Funi does. I really think they could have done a better job with this one.

Don't get me wrong the dub isn't horrible or anything. It's just.....not impressive so far either. Eren's voice is okay but really inconsistent with the delivery of some lines. Speaking of his V.A why does he do the narration too? That doesn't make much sense to me.

Everyone else sounds ok but that's the problem.........it's only OK.
Hopefully this changes when they grow into their adult voices.

Hope's review of the first six episodes explicitly stated that the efforts of the VAs to use the kids' voices (especially Bryce as Eren) was by far the weakest part of the dub, and that it's perfectly fine once it transitions to teenage voices.

And glad to hear that the opener getting trimmed wasn't planned. Not only was that disappointing, but it was also a clumsy trim, too.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Spotlesseden

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2014 9:08 pm Reply with quote
FYI, AoT will not be available on CR during these times.

Episodes 1-13: May 20, 2014 – August 19, 2014

Episodes 14-25: September 9, 2014 – December 9, 2014

I really hope toonami or/and funimation have nothing to do with it.
sunflower

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2014 9:15 pm Reply with quote
Key wrote:
Hope's review of the first six episodes explicitly stated that the efforts of the VAs to use the kids' voices (especially Bryce as Eren) was by far the weakest part of the dub, and that it's perfectly fine once it transitions to teenage voices.

And glad to hear that the opener getting trimmed wasn't planned. Not only was that disappointing, but it was also a clumsy trim, too.

I just went back to read Hope's review, and I think it was spot on. I had watched the CR version the day before so it was fresh in my mind and I noticed all the changes Funi made, but for the most part they were good changes. I think the character changes are mild enough that they won't bug me, but we'll see.

The one thing that annoyed me were the kid voices so I'm really happy to hear that those are gone as of ep 3.

The show is sure to be a hit if they get people to try it. My husband, who hates any anime he's seen, was wandering in and out of the room while I was watching. He sat down and watched the last 10 minutes with me. Ha, got 'em.
Panzer Vor

PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2014 5:13 am Reply with quote
Selected tweets from during the Toonami airing. Always great to see the cast really get into it.

Tyson Rinehart @AttackonTyson · 6h
Hugo went out swinging - ish. #AttackOnTitan #NeverForgetHugo #Thisisgonnabealonglistofsoldierstohonor

Ian Sinclair @iantweeting · 6h
Hugo, you died a hero.
@AttackonTyson was amazing.
#NeverForgetHugo
#AttackOnTitan

Josh Grelle @JoshGrelle · 6h
Remember Hugo.. Wall Maria lost a good man today. @AttackonTyson pic.twitter.com/YQZNxFszv7

In other news, thanks to Patrick Seitz and Felecia Angelle, "Guren no Yumiya" is now about having sex with bees and eagles. Also, potato people. *cue Sasha*
getchman
Space Cowboy

PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2014 8:10 am Reply with quote
which one was Hugo?
Key

PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2014 10:30 am Reply with quote
Was quite pleased to see that the full opener was, indeed, back. Also thought this was a great episode for really selling the series; the visceral horror of the situation does, I think, come through better in this episode than at probably any other point in the series.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Akane the Catgirl

PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2014 10:48 am Reply with quote
^^^

...who the f**k is Hugo?

Now, I'm coming into Attack on Titan with only two spoilers in mind.

spoiler[1. Titans is People
2. Lots of characters die and stuff.]

I can officially say I know the names of two people who succumb to the latter.

Now, I haven't seen the second episode yet, but I have seen the first. No, I do not care that the little versions of Eren, Mikasa, and Armin don't sound like actual little kids. They can act, and in my book, that's what truly matters. Also, Little Eren is precious. IMMA GONNA TAKE HIM HOME AND BE HIS NEW MOMMY! SO CUTE! Very Happy

Mmhmm, going on. There was actually one part I do remember liking a lot. It was when the military came back from a failed mission, and an old woman comes to one of the military officers and asks if her son made it out okay. When he says he didn't, the old woman asks if his sacrifice meant anything. Again, the officer has to tell her no, but this time, he has a near breakdown when he admits they failed. It's little moments like that that really get to me. (See also, the old leper's speech from Princess Mononoke, any time Madoka talks to her parents in Puella Magi Madoka Magica, etc.)

Well, I'm going to go watch the first two episodes! See ya!
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 1 of 6