• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Gundam's Tomino Thinks Young Voice Actors All Sound the Same

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
FenixFiesta

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2014 7:47 pm Reply with quote
sirdano1 wrote:
Nuts to you Tomino, Syd Mead's mobile suit designs are some of the best in the franchise.

It didn't align with what Tomino wanted for Turn A, hell Tomino admitted he was a fan of Syd Mead's work and that was the reason why Tomino asked for his talents in the first place.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2014 8:14 pm Reply with quote
pajmo9 wrote:
sirdano1 wrote:
Nuts to you Tomino, Syd Mead's mobile suit designs are some of the best in the franchise.

I agree.

That part of the article kind of bummed me out. Laughing

Yeah, that was the only part I took issue with. The Turn A Gundam is probably my all-time favorite Gundam design.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2014 8:16 pm Reply with quote
And to think that dub-haters say the same thing about Eng. dubs.
NiPah
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2014 8:28 pm Reply with quote
Kadmos1 wrote:

To be fair not all English dubs sound the same, the latest Card Captor Sakura dub sounds quite different Smile.
SouthPacific

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2014 8:54 pm Reply with quote
Kadmos1 wrote:

Don't think i've ever heard/seen a "dub hater" say that she/he thinks that all young anime VAs in the US sound the same.

I have however heard many people say that many dubs sound the same which isn't odd as the talent pool is way smaller, and only a few consistently get lead roles, and a small talent pool + reusing a few VAs from the already small(er) amount that's available is a recipe to create dubs that sounds alike each other.
Kaioshin_Sama

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2014 8:57 pm Reply with quote
Kicksville wrote:
It's really tiresome how people declare Tomino to be nuts or crazy or whatever when all we ever get translated on the guy are bits and pieces of potentially controversial stuff he says. It's like people assume from that he just sits around saying "mean" things all day or something.

Basically this. He's been giving a lot of interviews recently since G-Reco is coming up and interviewers have been asking him questions and he gives his honest answers. Of course ANN always seems to cherry pick the more controversial ones for their interest article because it's solid click bait plain and simple. Even then though this article particularly seems like it's pretty blatantly trying to steer opinion on his opinion in a negative direction giving it more of a column than interest feel.

I also read a different translation on his commentary with Yu Shimamura in a G-Reco article that was more asking viewers to pay special attention to her performance in episode 2 because he felt she did a real good job.

That said I don't agree with Tomino is this matter, but the whole lets pile on "crazy ol' Tomino" for having an opinion trend that this article is clearly trying to take advantage of is getting a little bit old at the same time.
mangamuscle

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2014 9:03 pm Reply with quote
pajmo9 wrote:
It kind of sounds like he is trying to make an example by deeds, not words.

That is a water droplet in the ocean. The example I gave was steve jobs revolutionizing the computer industry, in layman terms, he made the iphone, made a ton of money out of it and nowadays everyone in the industry wants to make a better iphone.

If tomino, miyazaki, et al hate all the new and popular trends in the industry then they just have to prove that what they say is tremendously popular (make a low cost but high profit anime just like they say it would be better, be it an OVA, tv series or movie) and everybody will copy them, whether they like it or not, because it is the "next big thing".

It enrages me because they say all this stuff really believing that they will change the industry with mere words, talk is cheap, if they really could pull it out they would be keeping all this bull a secret (the same way steve jobs kept the macintosh and the iphone a secret until they were unveiled to the public) or at the very least sell the idea to another company for big bucks.
AiddonValentine

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2014 9:07 pm Reply with quote
Eisenmann V wrote:
OLD MAN YELLS AT CLOUD

No kidding; I don't get why so much praise is piled on this guy. If anything, Gundam as an institution succeeded in SPITE of him, not because of him. And heck, most of the best stuff about Gundam and most of the better series have had nothing to do with him. What influence his creation had is undeniable, but the man himself is an insufferable twit who just needs to leave already. It would be one thing if he were amusing in his opinions, but he's mostly just boring.
Banjo

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2014 9:38 pm Reply with quote
they don't really sound the same, more like they hardly get any different roles where they can find their own character.
konqueror

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2014 10:12 pm Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:
konqueror wrote:
This man, this geezer, is utter garbage.

Yoshiyuki Tomino created Gundam.

And that's the best reason to not give two damns about what he says Laughing
penguintruth

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2014 10:33 pm Reply with quote
AiddonValentine wrote:
Eisenmann V wrote:
OLD MAN YELLS AT CLOUD

No kidding; I don't get why so much praise is piled on this guy. If anything, Gundam as an institution succeeded in SPITE of him, not because of him. And heck, most of the best stuff about Gundam and most of the better series have had nothing to do with him. What influence his creation had is undeniable, but the man himself is an insufferable twit who just needs to leave already. It would be one thing if he were amusing in his opinions, but he's mostly just boring.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c7LrViaPq7M

The utter disrespect for this legendary director in this thread is sickening. As soon as a pillar of anime like Tomino or Miyazaki says something even approaching controversial, the mouth breathers immediately turn on them with vitriol.

Hell, all Miyazaki said was that children might benefit from going outside now and then, and the atom wastes rioted. Tomino's just talking about voice actors in general, FFS.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
iCards

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2014 10:52 pm Reply with quote
I'm half and half on seiyuu's a lot of the lesser known ones sound the same because they are either new, don't have talent, or not given good direction.

Then their are some voices that are distinguishiable from others arguably because of that "flair" he mentioned.

How many of these voices can you say you DIDN'T notice without their characters having a bit of "flair" Mamoru Miyono, Hiroshi Kamiya, Yuki Kaji, Yuichi Nakamura, Saori Hiyami, Ai Kyono, Miyu Hirono, Jun Fukuyama, Kana Hanazawa, Takuya Iguchi, Marina Inoue, Takahiro Sakurai, and Haruka Takamatsu.

Also, at least he can admit his mistake as a Director in giving Mead too much freedom in his mecha-designs back in the day.
Running Wild

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2014 10:59 pm Reply with quote
Finally SOMEONE gets it.

You hear one young girl in anime these days, ya heard'em all!
Yuxing

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2014 11:02 pm Reply with quote
I kinda agree with him. I used to be a huge seiyuu otaku, but not anymore because the younger generations sound so generic to me. I can't even tell them apart (or maybe I just can't be bothered).
CrowLia

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2014 11:07 pm Reply with quote
I have no idea of what he means by "flare", but being a big fan of many current seiyuus, I couldn't disagree more with his opinion. If you can't tell Kana Hanazawa from Mamiko Noto or Miyuki Sawashiro and Daisuke Ono from Mamoru Miyano or Akira Ishida, the problem's with your ears, not with "young voice actors". Although I will agree that there are many characters with same-y voices (especially on cliché-heavy shows), when compared to one another you can still notice the differencet voices.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 4 of 8