• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Hellsing Ultimate Blu-Ray 9-10

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
penguintruth

PostPosted: Sat Nov 01, 2014 1:03 pm Reply with quote
Hellsing isn't "horror" per se. It's more like action-oriented vampire mythos masturbation. But boy is it immensely satisfying vampire mythos masturbation. Because it goes that extra mile to be way, way over the top and gloriously cheesy, while still maintaining some semblance of cleverness- not insight, mind you, but cleverness- and comes out decadently glorious.

But it's no more self-indulgent or drawn out than, say, most Yasuhiro Imagawa anime, or Hiroyuki Imaishi's works. I fail to see where the show's trumpeted aspects suddenly become problems just in the final act. It knows what it is and remains so.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
gedata

PostPosted: Sat Nov 01, 2014 2:09 pm Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:
Hellsing isn't "horror" per se. It's more like action-oriented vampire mythos masturbation. But boy is it immensely satisfying vampire mythos masturbation. Because it goes that extra mile to be way, way over the top and gloriously cheesy, while still maintaining some semblance of cleverness- not insight, mind you, but cleverness- and comes out decadently glorious.

But it's no more self-indulgent or drawn out than, say, most Yasuhiro Imagawa anime, or Hiroyuki Imaishi's works. I fail to see where the show's trumpeted aspects suddenly become problems just in the final act. It knows what it is and remains so.

The problem with the last OVA is that it simply spends far too much time with a seemingly endless load of dialogue. spoiler[How many times to we need to hear the Major tell us about how his humanity allowed him to overcome Alucard, or how much time needed to spent on Alucard relentlessly taunt Walter without actually finishing him off? I like me some hammy dialogue, but this came off as a bit too self-indulgent this time around.]
Asides from that, I wasn't particularly miffed by the production quality myself. It was pretty cool ending despite all this.

Last edited by gedata on Sat Nov 01, 2014 2:24 pm; edited 1 time in total
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Sat Nov 01, 2014 2:14 pm Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:
I fail to see where the show's trumpeted aspects suddenly become problems just in the final act. It knows what it is and remains so.

Apparently whatever version of this show you watched didn't go from "exciting things happen and the plot moves forward in every episode" to "long drawn-out barely-animated monologues either restating things you already knew or changing character motivation for the 3rd time". At the very least there was no reason in the world that last episode needed to be 2 hours long. Hell, just remove some of the countless slow pans, cut a few seconds from still reaction shots, maybe explain things only once instead of 3 times (we get it, the major is 'conducting' the war, you don't need to look shocked and explain what's happening to us over and over again) and you could lose a half hour right there.

It isn't "just like the rest of the show", it's a limp, repetitive conclusion to what was previously an exciting over-the-top crazy action show.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Sat Nov 01, 2014 2:20 pm Reply with quote
The final parts were just as exciting, big, hammy, and action-packed as any of the other parts. The fights between Alucard and Walter and Seras and The Captain was very well done and there was nothing "limp" about it. The aesthetic was maintained gorgeously, so I'm not sure what kind of niggling animation flaws you saw, but I didn't find any. It was exhausting, to be sure, but in a satisfying way.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
AtariBaby

PostPosted: Sat Nov 01, 2014 3:52 pm Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:

Respectfully, have you ever been to a book store or video store and gone to the "action-oriented vampire mythos masturbation" section? No, it's always in the "Horror" or "Horror/SciFi" section. the rest of those adjectives just explain it's uniqueness in the horror genre, the hallmarks of "horror" being monsters, death, blood-- all components of this horror genre anime.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Sat Nov 01, 2014 4:26 pm Reply with quote
AtariBaby wrote:
Respectfully, have you ever been to a book store or video store and gone to the "action-oriented vampire mythos masturbation" section?

It's next to the language books, isn't it?
AtariBaby

PostPosted: Sat Nov 01, 2014 4:31 pm Reply with quote
Thanks for the review. It's nothing short of amazing the "Hellsing Ultimate" survived the worldwide economic crisis, the crisis that drove most world-wide anime & manga distributors to go bankrupt or nearly bankrupt. I may have to watch the end, just for closure, but I was saddened by the decrease in quality and loss of narrative over time.

Despite the fun story and great overall quality, I was really drawn to the unique and delightful sound effects and visuals. They really should have won all kinds of recognition for sound editing and engineering, and digital effects. The first few OVA's are tremendous.
Leland Lee

PostPosted: Sat Nov 01, 2014 4:50 pm Reply with quote
...I honestly thought I'd never read Zac type those words. Calling anything Hellsing related limp.

So...uh, if I ever see you out and about in the streets, should I expect something like this?
Videogamep

PostPosted: Sat Nov 01, 2014 10:39 pm Reply with quote
The last two episodes may have been a bit too talky, but I enjoyed them anyway. spoiler[Alucard's fight with Walter and Seras's fight with the Captain were both especially good]. What really kept me interested was wondering about Alucard's ultimate (no pun intended) fate. It's kind of hard to think of a fitting ending for a character like that but I'm glad spoiler[they brought him back]. That part just felt really satisfying. Ultimate may have it's flaws but I'd still put it in my top ten.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
JackCox

PostPosted: Sat Nov 01, 2014 10:51 pm Reply with quote
MarshalBanana wrote:
I hope the animation isn't bad as you say, 5 to 7, animated by Madhouse was the high point in animation, but still 8 was quite good. Speeches have never been this shows high point, it has some great banter but the speeches are terrible, the worst being 4 where it went on for ever.

Are you kidding me on Episode 4's Speech by the Major? It's an incredible speech and lays out everything that character stands for, it lays out who he is and what he wants. He wants war, he loves it, he craves it and nothing will satisfy him more. It pretty much establishes that the man is completely nuts and he's not doing this for any other reason than to kill everything he can lay his hands on. His speech in Episode 10 in my opinion is one of the most brilliant defeat speeches ever spoken, in the end, The Major wins, spoiler[he causes countless destruction and dies with a smile on his face.]
Joe Carpenter

PostPosted: Sat Nov 01, 2014 11:19 pm Reply with quote
Oh boy, I had no idea it would turn out like this, I didn't think the final two volumes of the manga were catastrophic failures or anything, but they were certainly disappointing, to think that the final two OVAS might be even worse is an unsettling thought, now I'm wondering about maybe skipping them entirely, at any rate they're not high up on my to do list.

It's weird to think that I've been a fan of this franchise for almost ten years now (it all started with watching the TV series and then reading the manga back in 2005) and now it might be all coming to a close, it's bittersweet to say the least. (that is unless Hirano decides to resurrect it someday, which is probably not likely but who knows)
Ulinox

PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2014 10:18 am Reply with quote
Horrible review. Most of the negatives here could just as easily be applied to the manga. The animation wasn't so bad as the reviewer is trying to make it out to be either. It should have gotten an overall B score at the least. Arrow
Videogamep

PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2014 11:54 am Reply with quote
Ulinox wrote:
Horrible review. Most of the negatives here could just as easily be applied to the manga. The animation wasn't so bad as the reviewer is trying to make it out to be either. It should have gotten an overall B score at the least. Arrow

Being in the manga doesn't excuse flaws.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
dtm42

PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2014 10:35 pm Reply with quote
Hope wrote:
Of course, all this non-action can't fill out three whole hours...

Surely you meant two hours, since episode nine is forty-seven or so minutes long and episode ten is sixty-seven minutes long.
JackCox

PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2014 11:37 pm Reply with quote
I may be one of the most lenient critics on most things, I think I tend to see more of the good where most people see the bad. I view the Major as my favorite Anime Antagonist, he has no convoluted scheme just absolute murder, death and destruction to the very end.spoiler[And I would say in the end to some degree the Major wins, he doesn't wax poetic about what he could have done better. No, he crows about how he defeated Alucard, how he set out to accomplish exactly what he wanted and he dies with a smile on his face, a life, in his mind completely fullfilled. For him death is not a defeat.]
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4