• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
My-Hime

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Randall Miyashiro

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2007 4:51 am Reply with quote
Kruszer wrote:
Yeah, that's called a layer change. Some players handle it better than others. I haven't noticed anything major wrong with my discs.

Also some DVDs handle it better due to cleaver placement. Ideally you will place the layer change between episodes as to make them unnoticeable. It's a tad harder with films where you have to find a pause between scenes. I just thought of another problematic Bandai disc. The first few Fantastic Children DVDs have a weird pause (only an extra frame or twos length) at each chapter break. The problem was fixed on the later DVDs.
Anime_Fever

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2007 12:47 pm Reply with quote
I got a question, I have the first volume of the manga, the manga makes it look like it's mostly revolves around Tate, Mai, and Natsuki. But from what I've read about the anime, it looks to mostly revolve around Mai and her brother...

Anyways, what I really just wanna know is- is Tate the key for both Mai and Natsuki in the anime? Or did they change the story in the manga.
LydiaDianne

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2007 12:49 pm Reply with quote
Anime_Fever wrote:
I got a question, I have the first volume of the manga, the manga makes it look like it's mostly revolves around Tate, Mai, and Natsuki. But from what I've read about the anime, it looks to mostly revolve around Mai and her brother...

Anyways, what I really just wanna know is- is Tate the key for both Mai and Natsuki in the anime? Or did they change the story in the manga.

I've only read the first vol. of the manga myself but the story line IS different. You're right about the manga revolving more around Tate. And the anime does revolve around Mai the most.
Exaar

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2007 5:20 pm Reply with quote
The manga and the anime have completely differant stories. In the anime, there are no 'keys', Haruka is not a HiME, etc. It's all quite differant from what I understand, just sharing the characters and the overall setting.

Just for the record, the anime came first. The manga was written after the anime. Mai Otome is the same way. Differant story, same characters/setting. That anime also came first.

I have not read the HiME manga, but from what I understand, it is not very good. Everyone I know who has read it said it falls far short of the quality of the show. But, that's second-hand opinion. Smile
Raven Shinobi

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2007 12:36 am Reply with quote
Being revolved around Tate is a reason enough for me not to bother with the manga since he's my least favorite characters in the anime -stupid, perverted, I hate his character design, not to mention, he's always seen with that brat Shiho.
LydiaDianne

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2007 12:49 am Reply with quote
Raven Shinobi wrote:
Being revolved around Tate is a reason enough for me not to bother with the manga since he's my least favorite characters in the anime -stupid, perverted, I hate his character design, not to mention, he's always seen with that brat Shiho.

Tate is irritating isn't he? But that is typical with some anime guys, they can't make up their minds or they can't say straight out "Dammit! I'm in love with Mai! Not you! Quit being such a damn baby and grow up!"

And yes, Shiho is a brat and I've wanted to smack her from Episode 1.
Raven Shinobi

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2007 6:58 am Reply with quote
LydiaDianne wrote:

Tate is irritating isn't he? But that is typical with some anime guys, they can't make up their minds or they can't say straight out "Dammit! I'm in love with Mai! Not you! Quit being such a damn baby and grow up!"

I'm more of a pro Mai/Reito, so I don't care if Tate and Shiho would get together later on since I dislike them both.

I thought at the begining that Reito was a player with a hidden malicious side, seeing by all the fangirls that he's always surrounded with, but he totaly grew on me in that episode when he spoiler[blushed as he averted his eyes as he got an accidental eyeful of Mai's underwear,] not to mention he's voiced by Toshihiko Seki -the same seiyuu who did Genjo Sanzo-sama *rawr!*
EVA fiend

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2007 5:40 pm Reply with quote
After much research & debate on a UK anime forum I'm a member of, I went & bought Beez's UK R2 release of the first 4 DVD's, & it seems that these DVD's have faults just like Bandai's R1 release. Gah!! Anime hyper
Out of the 4 volumes, volume 3 doesn't play properly without a little coercion, & 2 out of 4 of the omake skits come out with French subtitles!! *sighs*

I am enjoying the series very much though. I've seen the first 16 episodes, & Natsuki is my favourite character by a long way. And since I'm a very impatient anime watcher, I've imported Bandai's R1 release of volumes 5 & 6 since it seems that no one can release this series without faults on the DVDs. Confused
Tylormde18

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2007 12:59 am Reply with quote
I've found that disks from Bandai seem to have a higher fail rate than others, like ADV and Funimation. I just had to exchange Seed Destiny Vol. 6 cause it would freeze my DVD player.

I find it frustraiting that Bandai has really dropped the quality of their production. Expecially considering they take longer to release a series than most other company's. I started Destiny when it first released in March 06. At its current rate, I won't have it all until the end of 07. Evil or Very Mad

HiME for me has so far not had disk issues, (knock on wood).
Kruszer

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2007 8:50 pm Reply with quote
Agreed I've had way more f-ed up discs from Bandai than any other company. I've had problems with Funimation putting two of the same volume and neglecting another in a boxset twice though.

Quote:
I've found that disks from Bandai seem to have a higher fail rate than others, like ADV and Funimation. I just had to exchange Seed Destiny Vol. 6 cause it would freeze my DVD player.

I wonder if that's why I couldn't find the volume when I went out looking for it yesterday two days after the release date. A recall perhaps or maybe my Best Buy just pulled them.
slow_moe_504

PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2007 10:33 pm Reply with quote
Very Happy I created this just asking one question and man I never thought it would last this long. I got all 6 volumes and vol 4 is the only one that I had problems with. I just can't wait for vol 7 to come out. If you don't have this anime you must get it thats all there is to it. Very Happy
sun3

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2007 3:13 pm Reply with quote
I've had some funky Bandai disks as well, but fortunately not for My-Hime. So far, so good.

(knocking on wood)
Iemander

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2007 9:44 pm Reply with quote
I love this series, it's one of my favorites, simply because it isn't scared to show some emotion. Mai gets seriously funky at times and Mikoto's just the coolest gal ever, how can you not love a berserk little girl with a big ass sword that slices through everything no matter how big it is. The animation sucks like in most anime, but the art is great and designs are superb. I keep replaying that specific point in ep15 where everyone looks so surprised, it's hilarious and well done at the same time. Monsters and the like also don't fight like they're featherweighted and give a proper sense of scale (Kaguichi makes me go "WHOA" every time in ep 3).The designs really radiate size and emotion quite well, better than all the other animes I've seen, kudos to that. Well, perhaps excepting Evangelion.

The thing that really angered me however was the ending. Mai Hime has imo one of the worst endings ever, not just anime. spoiler[After doing such a great job at giving the series so much fire, they go completely cheese on us.]

The Japanese voice acting is less however, the only ones I thought really standing out were Reito and Nagi. Some of the others like Midori and the Director seriously got on my nerves. Mai also, feels too meak and helpless in her VO, it isn't bad, but it could've been much better.

Ow and about Reito vs Yuichi. Reito's such a bore with his constant do-gooders attitude.

I don't usually like romance anime, but this one's awesome.
NGE1113

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2007 10:07 pm Reply with quote
sun3 wrote:
I've had some funky Bandai disks as well, but fortunately not for My-Hime. So far, so good.

(knocking on wood)

Don't I know it. All the My-HiME discs I've bought so far have been perfectly fine. On top of that, I've managed to come through unscathed from other Bandai-related problems, as well. I'm just wondering how much longer this kind of luck can hold out.
LydiaDianne

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2007 10:35 pm Reply with quote
NGE1113 wrote:
sun3 wrote:

(knocking on wood)

Don't I know it. All the My-HiME discs I've bought so far have been perfectly fine. On top of that, I've managed to come through unscathed from other Bandai-related problems, as well. I'm just wondering how much longer this kind of luck can hold out.

I've been the okay with my My-Hime DVDs as well.

But, let's not jinx ourselves...okay? Wink
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 3 of 6