• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Why Luci Christian and Chris Patton work together so often

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ktimene's Lover

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2007 10:59 pm Reply with quote
Does anyone know why? I'm guessing they've worked on at least 10 shows together? Like Johnny Bosch getting the lead role so often, it's one of those voice acting dub traits.
God Gundam

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2007 3:21 pm Reply with quote
No, it's because certain voice actors work for the same company and are both great. It doesn't just happen with Luci and Chris; Steve Blum and Wendee Lee are often working together.
KAtchan15

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2007 3:38 pm Reply with quote
actually yeah, it's true Chris Patton and Luci Christian work mostly on ADV titles and it's actually the same with Monica Rial and Greg Ayres. They're always working together. I think that it's the main company that they're all working for. In Sakura diaries they were all in there, Monica,Chris,Luci &Greg. Greg Ayres is really good though, he has dubbed like so many characters and he does a great job at it too. Wink

Last edited by KAtchan15 on Sun Jan 14, 2007 6:46 pm; edited 1 time in total
marie-antoinette

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2007 5:55 pm Reply with quote
As has been said, certain voice actors work for certain companies, which is why certain groups work together often while other actors NEVER work together.

It's different in Japan, where seiyuus are more like live action actors, who can work for different companies for different jobs.
Viga_of_stars

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2007 10:24 pm Reply with quote
because they are in the same company and theyre really freeking talented to be picked for a lot of titles
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2007 10:25 pm Reply with quote
Luci and Chris both work for ADV so that's number one. Number too, they're full time VA's, like Monica Rial and Greg Ayres, so they get more jobs then say others who do VA as a side job. It's also why you'll see them at more cons and doing ADR script work. Number three, I;ve talked with them both and they're actually friends outside of work. While it's the director's job to cast people and they all try out for roles as anyone else does the directors do try and keep those people together who work well together.
TcDohl

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2007 10:31 pm Reply with quote
marie-antoinette wrote:
As has been said, certain voice actors work for certain companies, which is why certain groups work together often while other actors NEVER work together.

It's different in Japan, where seiyuus are more like live action actors, who can work for different companies for different jobs.

That and pretty much all voice acting in Japan is done in one place, Tokyo. But in North America, there are several major centres of anime voice acting (New York, Los Angeles, Vancouver, and Houston) that are quite far away from each other. This is why you're not going to get a lot of mingling of actors between each other (that and the different centres are associated with different companies, and therefore different stock of actors).
penguintruth

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2007 6:05 am Reply with quote
Viga_of_stars wrote:
because they are in the same company and theyre really freeking talented to be picked for a lot of titles

Thanks, I needed that after a hard day. Laughing
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Ktimene's Lover

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2007 10:50 am Reply with quote
Anyone know how many they've worked in together?
zombie828

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2007 11:01 am Reply with quote
Ctimene's Lover wrote:
Anyone know how many they've worked in together?

Try comparing their works from their wikipedia entries.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Luci_Christian
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chris_Patton

Careful though, you'll see a photo of them thus ruining their voices forever! :P
(Kidding, they're both sexy looking people.)
Ktimene's Lover

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2007 11:25 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Careful though, you'll see a photo of them thus ruining their voices forever!

What the hell does that mean?
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2007 11:37 am Reply with quote
Ctimene's Lover wrote:
Quote:
Careful though, you'll see a photo of them thus ruining their voices forever!

What the hell does that mean?

I think he's implying they don't look how they sound. But that shouldn't be a factor either way... They're voice actors, not live actors. You could look like the Hunchback of Notre Dame and have the voice of James Earl Jones, but people would still like your work. That's all that matters in voice acting.
psychotim

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2007 11:22 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
I think he's implying they don't look how they sound. But that shouldn't be a factor either way... They're voice actors, not live actors. You could look like the Hunchback of Notre Dame and have the voice of James Earl Jones, but people would still like your work. That's all that matters in voice acting.

James Earl Jones has one heck of a voice. I think that he should try and break into voice acting. He would be perfect for that all knowing, kind of a prev, old guy. But thats just me.
LydiaDianne

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2007 11:46 pm Reply with quote
psychotim wrote:
Quote:

James Earl Jones has one heck of a voice. I think that he should try and break into voice acting. He would be perfect for that all knowing, kind of a prev, old guy. But thats just me.

That, or the villain you REALLY don't want to piss off!
Zrana

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2007 2:15 am Reply with quote
Another reason is that directors don't want to take chances too often on new people who, while they sound great, just can't do the technical stuff like matching mouth flaps. So directors often cast people they know can do the job.

Some companies are more open to new blood than others also. Funi seems to be one of the more open companies (just look how people normally found at other studios have shown up at theirs), while I think ADV has a stricter door policy (Both are in same state, so their is some actor overlap), but it can also be the laws of the state. You need to be in the SAG to legally do work in California, but in Texas anyone is allowed to do voice work if someone is willing to let them.

And if you can't get your lines done quickly and done well with minimal re-takes, you aren't going to be called back. Those who can, though, end up in alot of shows, usually the same ones. =D
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2