• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: American Anime Awards Winners

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
shirokiryuu

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2007 12:25 am Reply with quote
Although I'm not to fond of these "popularity" based awards, I'm glad FMA, Fruits Basket, and FLCL won, as those are series that are all popular and ones that I enjoyed greatly. Personally i'd rather have FMA win over Bleach or Naruto anytime. I admit, I do read them, but FMA to me is much better.

I'm surprised with the voice actor wins, I don't follow voice actors very often, and I was expecting to see names of the popular ones I know.
GATSU

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2007 12:58 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Lifetime Achievement Award: Peter Fernandez.

Screwing up classic shows isn't an achievement. At least give it to Macek, since he actually did something for anime. Although Fernandez is slightly less of a jerk than Al Kahn.
NGE1113

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2007 1:02 am Reply with quote
It was a shame (though not all that surprising) that Sean Schemmel lost out on the Best Actor - Comedy vote. Ditto for Luci Chrisitan as Best Actress, minus the "not all that surprising" statement; that was a bit of a shock to me.

It was also nice to see that, more or less, the other awards were given out to to the people/shows that deserved them. Given the size of the fanbases that some of the nominated shows have, the deserving nominees could have been shafted in the end.
Netstryke

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2007 1:26 am Reply with quote
Man!
I wish Laura Bailey won for best Comedy Actress 'because Sana is spot on.

That had to be my surprise of the night.

But Vic accepting for best actor was the moment of the night IMO.
MorwenLaicoriel

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2007 1:38 am Reply with quote
AnimeMajor wrote:

Mary Elizabeth McGlynn deserved to win Best Actress and I'm thrilled that she did. Sorry, I can't (in good conscience and all) agree with Luci Christian. If you want real deep, emotional, talented v/o acting, Mary Elizabeth is the one!!

Good competition for the Best Actress category, all great candidates, but Mary Elizabeth is by far the best.

Have you seen Princess Tutu's dub, however?

If Luci was nominated for, say, Full Metal Panic (as great as that dub is), then I'd agree with you -- Major Kusinagi (? Sorry, I don't watch that show as much as I should so I'm not sure on the spelling) is a far more challenging and deep role.

However, with Princess Tutu, Luci was a definante contender. In the show, she was actually playing *three* roles--Duck the duck, Duck the girl, and Princess Tutu herself. She had to go from quacking, to being a duck-like, easily flustered girl, to playing a majestic, gentle princess--while making sure that the characters sounded enough alike that you could still indentify them as the same person. Not to mention the gamut of emotions and layered performance required of *all* of the characters in the show.

Again, I agree that McGlynn DEFINATELY deserves the award--but to act as thought Luci shouldn't've been a contender is really discounting the challenge of the role.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address My Anime My Manga
LydiaDianne

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2007 1:51 am Reply with quote
Congrats to Fruits Basket and Vic Mignogna!

At least Akira didn't win for best comedy series! Shocked Laughing

I didn't watch it because 1) I was at work and 2) I don't get TAN.

Did they do a good job with the show. Were things presented decently?
MorwenLaicoriel

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2007 2:00 am Reply with quote
LydiaDianne wrote:

Did they do a good job with the show. Were things presented decently?

Mmm...it wasn't horrible...the presenters handled themselves well, and for the most part they tried to give the awards a more professional air than what you'd see in, say, Spike's VGA Awards or G4TV's awards.

That being said, it still felt very much like the first time the awards were put on. (Although it can't be helped, I suppose -- I mean, just seeing a clip from Akira pop up while announcing the finalists of 'Best Actor in a Comedy' just served to remind me of the fiasco surrounding the voting.)

It wasn't horrible, but the only thing that really stood out to me as special or memorable was...well....Vic's acceptance speech.

...Well, maybe Greg Ayres' hair, too.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Beruda

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2007 2:03 am Reply with quote
I was very happy to see that Peter Fernandez, the voice of Speed Racer, get recognition, yeah! Speed Racer fangirl here and proud of it Wink

And while I agree with a few choices generally I'm waiting the people who will put together awards that are much more serious and comprehensive and will include things like writing and directing among other catagories.

B.
Murasakisuishou

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2007 2:16 am Reply with quote
All right, I'll have to hunt down a clip of Vic's acceptance speech somewhere. I would have watched the awards, but I was working >.>

It's kind of ironic, though, because his emotional-ness was what really made me dislike him as Edward Elric. Sure, he did a great job with the fangirl-pleasing role he was trying to produce, and I think he's a very talented actor. Also, if you just watch the FMA dub it works really well. However, when you compare with the 'original' character of Ed in the subs, they're like two different people, and that just annoyed me to no end. I can see why Ed ended up being so different in English, though; it also probably explains why FMA has such a large female fanbase.

-cough- Sorry for the off topic rant. I would also like to add my congratulations to Mary Elizabeth McGlynn, who is also very talented (although I'd have loved to see Luci Christian win best actress).
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
cardcaptor_yue

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2007 3:03 am Reply with quote
I really had high hopes, but in the end In found myself iritated and bored. First my biggest problem, Some of the candidates should not have even been in there, please AKIRA, wow were they really that strapped for Animated movies? They should have gone for Howls more then a movie from several years ago. Second off it became "Hey if your shows on cartoon network your probobly gonna win over one that isn't" I felt that much of this is showing how if something is more out there it gets more votes. I thought that that the presentation was well done , and thought that was the bulk of the show. It just was a predictable awards show, and bored me. Maybe next year some people will actually look outside the network box.
nicomorr

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2007 3:32 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Maybe next year some people will actually look outside the network box

Oh yes indeed - but what a faint hope.

The trouble is that the main-stream media will then latch on to these as being the "Best of Japanese Animation"!!

Any body want to reply on their personal best for 2006? I went thru AnimeNFo and picked out those I had actually both liked & admired .... alphabetical order:

Bartender
Chevalier
Ergo Proxy
Flag
Suzumiya Haruhi no Yuutsu (Melancholy of ...)
Tokko
Rescue Wings

These all aired in Japan during 2006, here are some that were there in 2005 but would quality for US/UK for this year (from AnimeNfo 2005):

Gallery Fake
Mushishi
Tide-Line Blue
Victorian Romance Emma

Actually trawling thru all this has made me realise that either I've got a lot older, grumpier & more elitist OR this site has really dumbed down last couple of years.

Sorry - offtopic but I just hated every single one of those awards.

Regards,
Nico M
AnimeMajor

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2007 4:30 am Reply with quote
MorwenLaicoriel wrote:
AnimeMajor wrote:

Mary Elizabeth McGlynn deserved to win Best Actress and I'm thrilled that she did. Sorry, I can't (in good conscience and all) agree with Luci Christian. If you want real deep, emotional, talented v/o acting, Mary Elizabeth is the one!!

Good competition for the Best Actress category, all great candidates, but Mary Elizabeth is by far the best.

Have you seen Princess Tutu's dub, however?

If Luci was nominated for, say, Full Metal Panic (as great as that dub is), then I'd agree with you -- Major Kusinagi (? Sorry, I don't watch that show as much as I should so I'm not sure on the spelling) is a far more challenging and deep role.

However, with Princess Tutu, Luci was a definante contender. In the show, she was actually playing *three* roles--Duck the duck, Duck the girl, and Princess Tutu herself. She had to go from quacking, to being a duck-like, easily flustered girl, to playing a majestic, gentle princess--while making sure that the characters sounded enough alike that you could still indentify them as the same person. Not to mention the gamut of emotions and layered performance required of *all* of the characters in the show.

Again, I agree that McGlynn DEFINATELY deserves the award--but to act as thought Luci shouldn't've been a contender is really discounting the challenge of the role.

Yes, I watched the dub of Princess Tutu and while Lucy Christian gave a strong performance with her roles, I still think that they, in essence, lacked the emotion, depth, character and intensity that Mary Elizabeth McGlynn required for the role of Major Kusanagi in GitS:2nd Gig.

I suppose it depends on how you look at it. Playing the three characters and going from Duck the duck to Duck the girl to Princess Tutu and managing to sound somewhat the same and yet slightly different shouldn't be too hard for someone who has the talent to sound like a duck in the first place and keep her voice in the same range and within a few tones of each other. I'm not being hard on Luci Christian, I just don't think her roles had the substance that the role of Major Kusanagi in GitS:2nd Gig did.

I may sound biased, and yes, I suppose I am, but I'm trying support my bias for Mary Elizabeth with some theory and reasoning as to why I think she deserved the award for Best Actress and not any of the other contenders. I still think that it was great that she won and I believe she indeed deserved the award.

She's a competent, talented v/o actress and in this case I can actually say that it wasn't a popularity contest that won her the award, it was fans voting with consideration to the talent and the intensity it took for her to act the role of Major Kusanagi.

It doesn't hurt that she has a great voice, either Very Happy . But in all seriousness, while Luci Christian did an admirable job in Princess Tutu, it wasn't strong enough to earn her the honor of Best Actress...IMHO. Mary Elizabeth deserved the award, and she got it.

Thanks for reading.
Nagisa

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2007 4:45 am Reply with quote
I kinda had the vibe that this would be a joke when Gash Bell was considered a comedy. My vibe was confirmed when Advent Children won for anything, much less beating out an unquestionable anime landmark like AKIRA for a "best motion picture" bid.

Well, as far as I'm concerned, this "American Anime Awards" thing is...well...rubbish. Iffy nominees, outright awful winners (though I will give them props for actually putting something decent like Fruits Basket above the ridiculous Naruto and Bleach juggernauts, and I should add that I do not know enough about dub voice actors to comment there), and just a general sense that the people running the show aren't quite knowledgeable enough in the concept of Japanese animation to really have a place to give any such overstated and supposedly authoritative awards for anything relating to it. I mean really, if we're going so far back in the US market to consider AKIRA, then where's the vote for Evangelion (aside from the crappy new spinoff manga), for Miyazaki or Takahata or Oshii or KON, for Haibane (or any other ABe works), for Twelve Kingdoms, for the Kenshin OVA (the first one, that is), for Read or Die, for You're Under Arrest, for anythng of any quality, of any clout, that isn't currently stinking up Adult Swim or rotting away at the remaining husk of Toonami?

I know this sounds like the pouty, whiny rantings of someone whose favorite show wasn't picked, but really, when I look at the nominees selected, not to mention the actual winners, I just can't help but get the feeling that, looking beyond my personal tastes, there just wasn't much of an effort to really try to make a legitimate awards program for the honest-to-goodness best of the best that anime has to offer in this country. They seem to be so unfamiliar with what they're awarding that they have to reach, reach for nominees, resulting in bizarre choices like Gash Bell getting a comedy award (Azumanga? Cromartie? Pani Poni Dash?), or to fill the movie category with almost nothing but cash-in sequels (what, you can't honestly be suggesting that the umpteenth Pokemon and the lowest of the Inuyasha low are superior nominees to Ghost in the Shell or Perfect Blue or Porco-freaking-Rosso). And if the people running this did actually ask for the opinions of people qualified to speak on this sort of thing (went around to, say, ANN or AoDVD and got an informed input from their respective staff members), they obviously didn't listen to that informed opinion. Really, if I'm missing something here, please let me know, because right now I'm just seeing a gigantic trainwreck, I'm sorry.

And if I may ask, how in the hell is a twenty-six episode series considered "long?" And why is comedy the only genre singled out? There are comedy awards, but no romance? No action? No drama? No anime-distinctive genres like magical girl or mecha? That strikes me as incredibly odd.

Last edited by Nagisa on Sun Feb 25, 2007 5:12 am; edited 2 times in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Tortoiseshell Tabby Girl

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2007 4:50 am Reply with quote
Mr.Shonen wrote:
Is anyone surprised to see Zatch Bell take Best Male and Best Female in comedy.

Go Zatch Bell.

Yes, indeed Surprised "Go Zatch Bell!" I'm only surprised because I didn't think that Zatch Bell was well-received by a large enough group of people to win, but apparently Zatch Bell has more fans than I realized. I love to watch Zatch Bell because it makes me feel like a kid again (I just know that I would have really loved it as a kid, maybe as much as I loved Muppet Babies), so I'm pleasantly surprised and happy that it won some awards. I personally think that Zatch Bell's dub is great, too. All the actors sound like they are really having fun doing the voices on that show. And Debi Derryberry as Zatch and Dave Wittenburg as Parco Folgore (and Ponygon) are truly hilarious (as well as emotionally strong during the more serious portions of the series).

Last edited by Tortoiseshell Tabby Girl on Sun Feb 25, 2007 4:54 am; edited 1 time in total
Kyaa the Catlord

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2007 4:50 am Reply with quote
[quote="LydiaDianne"]
At least Akira didn't win for best comedy series! Shocked Laughing [quote]

I'm disappointed.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5