• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
English speaking characters in anime.

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Randall Miyashiro

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2007 6:55 pm Reply with quote
10円 wrote:

The English dub of Azumanga really fell apart during those scenes, even though they were really funny with the Japanese track.

I love those scenes, and can't imagine them in English. Yukari's English is really horrible. It reminds me of Excel's English when she says "Your mother is pig" to those thugs. It had me laughing for a good stretch.

I just watched the last volume of Speed Grapher last night which had a good amount of English. Everyone had accents which made me laugh. There are a few other examples, I think Gasaraki had a good amount of English near the end.
DKL

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2007 11:28 pm Reply with quote
DuelLadyS wrote:
I don't remember if it was subtitled or not, but in Legend of Black Heaven an American street punk does a few lines in surprisingly good English. It sticks in my mind becuase he swore quite a bit in those few lines. I suppose it was techincally realistic, but hearing 'f**k f**k f**k' in an anime was pretty surreal.

I was actually about to point that out too...

THOUGH, in the sub track, the acting was friggin' terrible (even though he was speaking pretty good English)...

I liked that scene in English better, definitely (I think they got the actor who did Ouji to double role or something... well, this is what it sounded like... but man, it was great).

Oh, and I think that there was this one scene in Evangelion too... that was actually pretty good (and even got re-used in the dub... at least, this is what I remember).

I also think that Kiki's Delivery Service did it too (somneone speaking in English), and it was really good, but for some reason it didn't get re-used in the dub... anyway... I dunno how it works...

So yeah... I can't think of anything else right now.
jetz

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2007 8:31 pm Reply with quote
Rozzer wrote:
In the anime Beck there were a couple of American guys speaking English in the Japanese sub. Although I cannot remember if they put any Japanese subtitles for them since it's been awhile since I've watched the series. Also the character Ryusuke Minami, who happens to be Japanese, did have quite a few English speaking parts. And as mentioned above, Samurai Champloo did have English speaking parts during the Baseball episode, which I thought was hilarious.

yeah there were japanese subtitles.. Just started watching beck, and I have to say their english is pretty good there..

I also notice that in most animes where the main characters are still in school there are scenes where they speak in english for a class - maybe for an english clash, like the one in R.O.D the TV where Anita was told to read some sentences and in Yu Yu Hakusho, in which Keiko was faced with the same situation.. There are also instances in which the terms can be too technical and difficult to translate into Japanese, like in Yakitate! Japan.. Kanmuri actually speaks in a good neutral accent Laughing
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Randall Miyashiro

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2007 6:59 am Reply with quote
This also reminds me of Kanuka Clancy from Patlabor who is the cop from America. Her English is fairly shaky and not too convincing. Are there any Japanese voice actors that speak Japanese with an English (or other country) accent? I hear that Romi Paku is Korean, but can't seem to detect an accent. It might be my poor memory plaing tricks, but it seems that Bonnie Pink adds a little bit of an American accent in my favorite Kenshin ED song (the Meihaku no Meiwaku part) Rain.
Jedi General

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2007 1:17 pm Reply with quote
There is some English in the first episode of Kasimasi. There are these military guys who spoke perfect English, and they sounded very American (there are a couple of names in the Japanese cast that appear to be American too). The funny part was how bad the voice acting was during that scene. The dialogue was also laughable, and even the audio was a little out-of-sync with the lip flaps at times. I laughed out loud after watching it the first time. I just hope that the upcoming dub leaves that scene intact, it's classic.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Murasakisuishou

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2007 5:02 pm Reply with quote
Randall Miyashiro wrote:
I hear that Romi Paku is Korean, but can't seem to detect an accent.

Paku-sama is half Korean, and I think she actually grew up in Tokyo.

The only scene that comes to mind for me with English in it is in Earth Maiden Arjuna when Juna is watching a news report in New York and suddenly realizes that she doesn't speak English. Fortunately, the TV had a Japanese language station as well (in addition to Spanish, French, and a couple other languages. o.o)

Of course, then there are all those school shows where you hear random seiyuu reading English textbook lessons in the background. Some do it better than others; I tried to keep a straight face during episode 3 of Shaman King, but Neya Michiko-san's accent was just too strong.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Abarenbo Shogun

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2007 8:11 pm Reply with quote
Nobody mentioned Chaka's attempt to woo Revy in Black Lagoon? Or Revy's mangled Engrish?
OmegaM1A1

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2007 12:19 am Reply with quote
I haven't watched much anime, but the first thing that comes to mind is in Azumanga Daioh where the "foreigners" are all saying "blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah".

I lolled at that.
DKL

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2007 1:38 am Reply with quote
Jedi General wrote:
out loud after watching it the first time. I just hope that the upcoming dub leaves that scene intact, it's classic.

... oh, this one isn't getting a dub, I think...

Has something to do with the fact that MB doesn't think it'll make money...

But I dunno what the story is.
DazzleNeko

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2007 2:26 am Reply with quote
I'm pretty sure there was a part in Gravitation where a taxi-driver spoke perfect English. The scene took place in New York.
dambuilder

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2007 5:37 am Reply with quote
There is one quite amusing scene in the Sukeban Deka OVA where one of those oh-so-nasty Mizuchi sisters (the black haired, Be Bop-style delinquent one) buys cocaine from a supposedly American dealer. Fun thing is: the Japanese VA of Ms. Mizuchi speaks perfect fluent English, while the US dealer talks like "Dissu issu za besuto".[/url]
Jedi General

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2007 10:20 am Reply with quote
DKL wrote:
Jedi General wrote:
out loud after watching it the first time. I just hope that the upcoming dub leaves that scene intact, it's classic.

... oh, this one isn't getting a dub, I think...

Has something to do with the fact that MB doesn't think it'll make money...

But I dunno what the story is.

Really? Where did you hear that?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Kagami8

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2007 6:08 pm Reply with quote
Ah, good ol' Negi! That's just what I was thinking of when I read the thread title.

Anyways, in Gravitation, I recall there was a scene in which Yuki was in the U.S., speaking with the taxi driver in English. There were subs in Japanese for that, and the taxi driver spoke with a pretty good American accent. (I mean, it really should have been a New York accent, but hey, at least it wasn't Japanese.)

There was also a scene where Yuki almost got raped as a child, and the guys there spoke in English (with a better American accent than taxi man.). This time, though, they had no subs.
ikky

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2007 7:00 pm Reply with quote
One of the episodes of Yami no Matsuei/Descendants of Darkness has a funny english/engrish scene. Tsuzuki and Muraki speak English with Japanese accents. The guard guys are voiced by Americans, but it sounds like a really poor 80's dub job Razz That scene makes me laugh every time because it comes so unexpected.

The Gravitation OVA has Tohma speaking Engrish with some producer guy, I think (haven't watched in 2 years or someting). Again a funny scene as the other guy speaks perfect while Tohma's voice actor (or was it actress?) sounds really forced. "It's Grabiteesyun!"
consilience

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2007 8:50 pm Reply with quote
They butcher English so bad it's wonderful. I bet hardly any Japanese would notice however.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4