• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: AX to Give Plushies to Kids, Pocky to Blood Donors

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
LydiaDianne

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2007 2:57 pm Reply with quote
What a nice idea! The donating blood part, I mean. It's a good thing, lots of people who might do it on a whim and not just for the Pocky.

I wonder if they will take mine since I'm on thyroid medication...? Of course, I hate needles.
Jedi General

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2007 3:00 pm Reply with quote
I'd give blood for Pocky, as I'd love to try some. Getting a needle stuck in me is no problem. Anime smile
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Hagaren_Otaku726

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2007 3:04 pm Reply with quote
Haha, I'm in that middle (Above 12, below 17) range, so this doesn't really apply to me (though, I could probably pass as a 12 year old based on looks alone =P)

Good thing my little brother is coming with me. I'm curious as to what series (or multiple series) the plushies will be from...
LydiaDianne

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2007 3:14 pm Reply with quote
Hagaren_Otaku726 wrote:
Haha, I'm in that middle (Above 12, below 17) range, so this doesn't really apply to me (though, I could probably pass as a 12 year old based on looks alone =P)

Good thing my little brother is coming with me. I'm curious as to what series (or multiple series) the plushies will be from...

Never hurts to try! Unless they are doing handing them out at the registration desks...
abunai
Old Regular

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2007 3:40 pm Reply with quote
I'm generally in favour of any scheme, however silly or outlandish, that might persuade people to step up and give blood for the first time -- since most people who give blood once find that it is no big deal, and tend to go back and donate again. It's always the first step that is the hardest.

I'm a long-time blood donor. By now, over a period of twenty years, I've given about 32 liters (8½ gallons, for the Americans) of blood, altogether -- or more than 6 times the blood volume of an grown person. It's very much a part of who I am and how I define myself. Although it is a truly small contribution (something you realize after the first time), it is very comforting to know that you have, through even such a minor effort, made things just a little bit better in the world.

I can only recommend the experience to everyone.

- abunai
Also a registered organ donor, and long-time volunteer with the Danish Red Cross
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
bleuster

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2007 3:42 pm Reply with quote
Needles made me cry for the longest time
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
malikchan17

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2007 3:47 pm Reply with quote
Man, if the plushie is something I want, I'd prefer that over some Pocky.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
CCSYueh

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2007 4:00 pm Reply with quote
Comic-con International has had a blood drive for yrs & has a drawing for nifty stuff donated by the various booths. It's in the name of some sci-fi author-Heinlein, maybe?
Unfortunately I was anemic last yr.

And pocky's just subject-specific. They always have donuts, cookies (always go for the Nutter Butters) & T-shirts at our bloodmobile.
Egan Loo

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2007 4:14 pm Reply with quote
CCSYueh wrote:
Comic-con International has had a blood drive for yrs & has a drawing for nifty stuff donated by the various booths. It's in the name of some sci-fi author-Heinlein, maybe?
Unfortunately I was anemic last yr.

And pocky's just subject-specific. They always have donuts, cookies (always go for the Nutter Butters) & T-shirts at our bloodmobile.

That's right—Comic-Con International's Blood Drive is in honor of Robert A. Heinlein (of Starship Troopers, one of the inspirations for Gundam and a Starship Troopers anime). There's a fascinating story of why Worldcon and eventually CCI were pioneers in bringing the Red Cross to popular culture conventions:

http://www.comic-con.org/cci/cci_blood.shtml
abunai
Old Regular

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2007 4:18 pm Reply with quote
Oh, by the way.... while we're on the topic of blood...

Some of you may have wondered about the fact that the various Japanese people entered in the Encyclopedia are often listed with their blood type. If you don't know why that is, let me clarify: in Japan, it has been a long-standing general superstition that blood types are indicators of personality. This odd idea was invented in 1927 by author Furukawa Takeji. It had almost died out, when it was revived in the 1970s by journalist Nomi Masahiko, and has been part of prevailing belief since then. It's not taken especially seriously, but the gossip rags tend to go on about it, and it's often used to determine romantic compatibility.

According to this superstition, the general blood types are associated with the following personalities:

Type A: calm, composed, serious, reliable, perfectionistic, arrogant, emotionally repressed
Type B: curious, bright, cheerful, enthusiastic, superficial, unreliable, selfish
Type 0: carefree, generous, independant, flexible, clumsy, flighty
Type AB: sensitive, considerate, careful, efficient, strict, moody

BTW, I'm type 0 negative.

- abunai
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
wilson_x1999

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2007 4:26 pm Reply with quote
Damnit! I'd be more than open to the idea of exchanging blood for pocky... as a matter of fact... here take it all! just give me pocky Anime hyper

and about the blood-personality thing, I'm O+ and I'm nothing like that chart O_o
Deltakiral

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2007 4:41 pm Reply with quote
abunai wrote:
Type AB: sensitive, considerate, careful, efficient, strict, moody

BTW, I'm type 0 negative.

- abunai

Thanks for the history lesson, I've always wonder about Japan and blood types ever since Street Fighter came out.

Also as for the event it's a brilliant idea, I am all for giving blood it's so simple and it can make a difference in the world.

For the record I am AB negative, therefore I am really into blood donation seeing as how my blood type is fairly rare.

Way to go AX do something for the world, all while giving the folks the life food of pocky.

Abundai wrote:
I'm a long-time blood donor. By now, over a period of twenty years, I've given about 32 liters (8½ gallons, for the Americans) of blood,

You know all that blood goes to Alucard in England right? That does add up over times I'm in my fourth year of regular blood donor, I should try to figure out how much I've given.

Last edited by Deltakiral on Mon Jun 11, 2007 6:08 pm; edited 1 time in total
Miho

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2007 4:49 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
and about the blood-personality thing, I'm O+ and I'm nothing like that chart O_o

I'm O+ and I'm not like that either...well, maybe I'm a little clumsy, but that's it Anime smile + sweatdrop

I like the idea of getting pocky for donating blood...but I don't really like getting stuck with needles. ^^;
Richard J.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2007 4:55 pm Reply with quote
abunai wrote:
I'm a long-time blood donor. By now, over a period of twenty years, I've given about 32 liters (8½ gallons, for the Americans) of blood, altogether -- or more than 6 times the blood volume of an grown person. It's very much a part of who I am and how I define myself. Although it is a truly small contribution (something you realize after the first time), it is very comforting to know that you have, through even such a minor effort, made things just a little bit better in the world.
That's a lot of vampire food. Shocked

If I were going, I'd definately try to donate. I used to donate all the time. In fact, I donated so often that my iron levels dropped too low! Embarassed I haven't given since because it took a while to build my levels back up and I had to move for college and, frankly, I just haven't taken the time to find out where a good drive is around here.

Assuming you don't donate too often, it's a very easy and relatively painless experience (the needle really isn't that bad usually) and, as abunai stated, you're doing something that is making the world a little better. Actually, I participated years ago in a drive that was connected with my then high school principal. She had some sort of internal bleeding resulting from pregnancy complications if I'm remembering correctly. My blood might very well have helped to save her life!

I just wish I could go period though. I just blew what little money I just got together on more anime. (I really must get through college quickly so I can get my law degree and start earning a living. At this rate, I'll be debt for loans to buy anime!)

As to the blood type thing, I'm A+.
Chibi Alchemist

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2007 10:15 pm Reply with quote
Hm, another reason for me to donate blood this year... Very Happy It's a really nice idea. The thought of free pocky makes me a little less nervous about donating blood for the first time.

I kinda feel bad for anyone who's in between those two ages since they don't get any free stuff....
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2