• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Baccano! (TV).

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
fokkusuhaundo

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2008 2:51 am Reply with quote
I forgot what Vino looked like spoiler[without being covered in blood]. Also, after his performance as Graham, Tomokazu Sugita has now become my most feared seiyuu; he's absolutely insane in this role. I can't wait to see the final episode where we finally spoiler[get to see Carol again.]
Dorcas_Aurelia

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2008 2:02 pm Reply with quote
fokkusuhaundo wrote:
I forgot what Vino looked like spoiler[without being covered in blood].

And spoiler[without his train conductor uniform and hat].
Quote:
Also, after his performance as Graham, Tomokazu Sugita has now become my most feared seiyuu; he's absolutely insane in this role.

He's so scary because at times he almost acts sane. He might kill someone, or he might not. You just can't quite tell.
abynormal

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2008 10:27 pm Reply with quote
Oh yeah. Vino and Chaine are still the hottest couple on the show.

spoiler[Secret pockets for holding knives in the dress. Vino thinks of EVERYTHING.

Man, but young Niece's screaming after the bomb went off in her face was bone-chilling. It made me squirm. ]

Even though it's only three episodes, I'm glad they made them. Baccano is still one of my all-time favorite animes.
daeyeth

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2008 11:40 pm Reply with quote
Episode 14 starts out exactly as I’d expect from a bonus material episode: complete filler crap. It’s animated fanfiction. It’s a good thing Isaac and Miria are there, they put some energy into an otherwise boring scene. Fortunately, this scene doesn’t last long. Unfortunately, next we meet our “filler villain” for this mini-arc, Graham Spector.

I hate Graham Spector immediately. He is the embodiment of exactly type of bad guy I can’t stand: a psychotic killer who’s only purpose is to drive plot points and to fill time by blabbering on about ridiculous philosophies for 10+ minute. Unlike the likeable crazies Ladd or Vino, Graham has none of their earnest vibrance. Everything he does and says feels fake, as if he’s badly reciting a one-man play for the audience. The guy does not shut up.

Graham’s irritating psychobabble blankets the whole episode, with small bits real story content cut in between. Ladd shows up and, because he’s a proper lunatic done right, makes Graham’s presence even more grating and stand out as the terribly flat character he is. So it was with great pleasure that spoiler[I watched Ladd beat Graham’s sorry butt] in another nicely animated battle, albeit short one as most of Baccano’s fights are.

Episode 15, unlike the last episode, is basically a real episode packed with great character developments and backstory. There is a lot of great stuff such as seeing characters who have never really met before and seeing them interact. Chane is a really fantastic, unique character, it’s good see most of the episode centered around her. It’s funny though, spoiler[I couldn’t help but feel a sort of unintended audience tension as she interacted with Jacuzzi. ]Jacuzzi’s archetype is something of an anime pimp; the natural kindness these characters emote quite often evolves into romance when they’re alone in a room with a female. spoiler[Jacuzzi and Chane are already nicely paired off, I didn’t want to see any conflict start up between their mates.] Glad I was just being paranoid, Vino would of tore Jacuzzi up.

Jacuzzi has kind of grown on me. Because his archetype is so common, I’ve grown incredibly tired of spineless characters who only show some balls every now and then. But he’s superbly exaggerated and his flashback with Nice was so adorable! And seeing Vino outside the train element was a pleasure. spoiler[Never thought how being covered in blood acts as a disguise, will note that for later.] Vino’s combination of nonchalant manner and blunt intelligence is refreshing to see in an anime. His wit is so lightning quick that other characters are often flabbergasted as to what to say or do. He’s also the perfect match for Chane because he’s smart enough to understand her without her ever saying a word (there’s a pun in there somewhere).

I was also happy to Graham completely overshadowed by the original Baccano characters. Quite literally. Man, Vino, you are the man. Can't wait for the next episode.
BrothersElric

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2008 8:19 pm Reply with quote
Just an update on my progress in the series, I'm up to episode 11 now, and hopefully will be able to finish those last 2 episodes soon. I'm definitely liking how things have been piecing together in such a briliantly well written way (especially finding out how spoiler[Isaac got shot] in the previously mentioned scene I laughed hysterically at Laughing ). Lot's of things are starting to make more sense now, although I feel like I might go back and watch those 2 episodes that went over my head at the time just to see if I can make more sense of them.

The only problem I'm having so far is the darkness of the animation. Yeah, it fits the mood perfectly and all, in fact I have not problems with it quality wise, but it's been making things a lot harder to follow and has probably made me miss out on certain scenes that maybe would have had a different effect on me otherwise. As if this series isn't hard enough to follow in the first place........ Still though, I feel like I'm following it well enough that I understand the basics of what's going on, so I guess it's all good for now. I will say though that part of the good that's come from things being to dark to see on my monitor has actually helped me avoid seeing in detail what I could no doubt tell were some pretty gruesomely violent scenes. Anime smile + sweatdrop

I will say though that I've seen some potential so far that if taken advantage of could be emotionally powerful enough for me to rate it Masterpiece. We'll have to see though. Wink
rainbowcourage

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2008 10:47 pm Reply with quote
I can't wait to see these two episodes, but first I have a questions...

so the couples we have going now are IsaacXMiria, EnnisXFiro, JacuzziXNice, VinoXChane, LuaXLadd...

Did anyone else get some LuckXEve vibes from season 1? I mean, the way she just marched in there, you could tell he admired her guts.
Dorcas_Aurelia

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2008 11:24 pm Reply with quote
Not really. Luck is kinda carefree (maybe laid back is a better way of putting it), and Eve is pretty darned serious. I don't see them working out to well. Also, I think Eve is too infatuated with her brother; she'll have to grow out of that phase first. Luck respecting Eve's courage doesn't have to lead to romance.
Ramadahl

PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2008 3:34 am Reply with quote
Dorcas_Aurelia wrote:
Also, I think Eve is too infatuated with her brother; she'll have to grow out of that phase first.

Er, she did condemn him to be incarcerated in a medical testing facility, iirc. I'm guessing she's not too infatuated with him.

Still not seeing Luck x Eve, all the couples so far have been really obvious and they're far from that.
Dorcas_Aurelia

PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2008 5:15 pm Reply with quote
True, she did allow him to be locked up for testing, but she saw that as preferable to the alternative, and she believed that even that would allow him to see that miracles can happen and turn his view around. Furthermore, she was insistant on watching for his recovery from the river in episode 1 or 2 (which took place after everything else chronologically), proving that he is still foremost in her thoughts.
BrothersElric

PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2008 5:37 pm Reply with quote
Well I finished the series yesterday, and okay, even though I wasn't "overwhelmed" by emotional power, I decided that it was enough granted how good the rest of the series was to go ahead and rate it Masterpiece. Very Happy I loved how everything was wrapped up as nicely as it was in the end and how it all came together. JG was certainly right about how well each timeline was wrapped up. Smile I think it was a perfect example of happy endings done right, and if anything, that may very well be in the end why I finally decided to give it a Masterpiece ratting. That and that ending with spoiler[Isaac and Miria not knowing they were Immortals until like, 70 years latter was just a hoot! Laughing Is there any more perfect way to end the series for those 2? Smile]

I still can't help but feel like I missed a whole lot though due to my crappy monitor, most specifically that whole sequence where spoiler[Isaac and Miria were in that car or whatever, but it also seemed like there were a lot of other things going on at the time.] That really seemed like it was a very exciting, fun whole sequence and I missed it! Mad Mad Mad Mad It wasn't just that though, but there were various other scenes throuought the series where I couldn't see a dang thing where I felt I missed a whole lot.

I still got the basic idea of things down pretty well though. So well in fact that I didn't feel like I needed to go back and watch episode 7 because thinking back to what a lot of people were talking about in that episode, it was really easy to make more sense of it the more it was talked about in the following episodes. In fact, the only other problem I had following that episode was once again, my crappy monitor! Evil or Very Mad But I did go back and rewatch the first 2 episodes though, and in all actuality I think that's were I made my official desicion to rate it masterpiece. I feel like this series is the ultimate re-watchable series for how much more stuff you could pick up on multiple viewings, and at some point I will under different circumstances, like, with a better freaknig monitor or a DVD on my big, bright TV screen or something Rolling Eyes (although from the sound of things I'm not sure it'll get a US license for me to do the DVD thing, as much as I'd love to see someone pick it up. I might have to just import it or something, I don't know..... ) but for now those first 2 episodes does just fine. I picked up a whole lot, most namingly spoiler[the meaning behind Isaac and Miria bringing Ennis a little brother as a "souveneer" (that brought a smile to my face Anime smile ), but also it helped make more sense of the ending scene at the train station.] In fact, in a lot of ways you could say the first episode was probably more like the seccond to last episode. Wink I also made a lot more sense out of the meaning of the first half of the episode as well. I think it was sort of an explaination behind why the story was told the way it was told with no main characters in particular or main streem of events. It was more like it was told from the point of view of those infromation gatherers who were putting the story out in the first place.

Definitely a very overlooked title though, that's for sure. It surprises me as well as to why not very many people wouldn't like this one, seeing as how it's more along the lines of something that would apeal to the mainstream taste. I say it's probably because of how hard it is to follow at times, but who knows. Hopefully enough people like it for it to get licensed over here though, though I'm not sure as to what the chances of that are. I can definitely say though that I've come to love it enough even as to fit it into my top 25 favorites. Sometime soon I'll be sure to catch these DVD only episodes sometime as well.
Jedi General

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2008 1:15 pm Reply with quote
BrothersElric wrote:
<awesomeness>

That post made me a very, very happy anime fan. I'm so glad that you love the series and you're seeing why I said the things I did when you were dazed and confused after watching the first and seventh episodes.

You're right, it's one of those series that you can rewatch many times in order to pick up more, and more. I really hope it gets licensed. It being set in the US makes it a no-brainer as far as I'm concerned.

I need to reciprocate and finish watching Mononoke. I have 5 episodes to go and it's been a trip thus far.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
BrothersElric

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2008 3:36 pm Reply with quote
Jedi General wrote:
That post made me a very, very happy anime fan. I'm so glad that you love the series and you're seeing why I said the things I did when you were dazed and confused after watching the first and seventh episodes.

Well it seemed like both this thread and this series could use another big fan, so I'm glad I could be of some help in that area. Smile I'm definitely glad I took your advice on that though, that's for sure.

Quote:
You're right, it's one of those series that you can rewatch many times in order to pick up more, and more. I really hope it gets licensed. It being set in the US makes it a no-brainer as far as I'm concerned.

Well the only regret I had about it was that I wish I could have picked up more than I did the first time around because of the monitor issues and whatnot, but even if that wasn't an issue this still has a whole lot of rewatch value in how much more you could pick up with multipule viewings. I think that's one of the things I liked most about it, because I usually like it when a series or even a movie does that.

Quote:
I need to reciprocate and finish watching Mononoke. I have 5 episodes to go and it's been a trip thus far.

Yes you definitely need to. Wink And you also need to go find Ko's thread about it and post in there as well. Wink I'm glad to hear you're liking it.

Well, by now I've seen both the DVD only episodes that are out so far. Good stuff. My personal favorite of the two so far has to be episode 15. Other than Isaac and Miria I'd have to say either Jacuzzi or Firo were my favorites. Both are typically my favorite kinds of characters, but with Jacuzzi showing his stuff near the end of the series as well as in this episode despite starting off as a whiny little kid, he's gotta be my choice. Especially with spoiler[that story of how he got his tatto to make Nice feel better and not feel so deformed] in this episode. I think that one officially won him over for me. Anime smile
Jedi General

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2008 7:32 pm Reply with quote
BrothersElric wrote:
Quote:

Yes you definitely need to. Wink And you also need to go find Ko's thread about it and post in there as well. Wink I'm glad to hear you're liking it.

Oh, I will. Once I've finished the series I'll be posting in that thread. Smile

BrothersElric wrote:
Other than Isaac and Miria I'd have to say either Jacuzzi or Firo were my favorites. Both are typically my favorite kinds of characters, but with Jacuzzi showing his stuff near the end of the series as well as in this episode despite starting off as a whiny little kid, he's gotta be my choice.

I love Jacuzzi. He's easily my second favorite hero. I love characters like him who start weak, but develop over the course of the series to be a much stronger character. Plus, he's provided quite a bit of comic relief throughout the series with his whiny-ness.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
BrothersElric

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2008 8:13 pm Reply with quote
Jedi General wrote:
I love Jacuzzi. He's easily my second favorite hero. I love characters like him who start weak, but develop over the course of the series to be a much stronger character. Plus, he's provided quite a bit of comic relief throughout the series with his whiny-ness.

Yeah I know, I've always liked those characters as well who develop from weak to strong. I think that's one of the major reasons why I love shounen so much. Wink But other than just that I think that episode 15 where he does that for Nice is what truly won him over for me, because Firo had been doing very many of the same kinds of things up to that point, albeit not quite to the same extent as Jacuzzi.
rainbowcourage

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2008 9:34 pm Reply with quote
has anyone subbed these? I can't find them. Would anyone mind PMing me a link where I could see or download them? Thanks.

EDIT: Thanks, fokkusuhaundo
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 4 of 6