• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Horror anime recommendations.

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gatherum

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2012 5:55 am Reply with quote
I know that the art is not as overstated as your typical moe or slice-of-life, such as, say, Clannad, where everyone has differently-coloured hair and eyes. What I was trying to say was that Another's characters still seem too...shiny. Their hair and eyes are highly reflective, and though the colour palette is narrower, what colours they do use are deep and warm. I'd expect a show in this genre to lean more toward flatter and more monochromatic hues.

Once again, however, this is all preliminary musing. I do plan to watch it--I'm just in the middle of an anime-watching crisis right now. I'm currently running through Outlaw Star, I plan to get up to episode 516 of One Piece at some point, and I've been thinking about running through all three seasons of The Boondocks for a month or two now, not to mention that there are definitive series, such as Cowboy Bebop and Neon Genesis Evangelion, that I have found my way to owning, but somehow, some way, have actually never seen in their entirety, or at least not in chronological order. I am also following Shakugan no Shana III (Final) and Last Exile: Fam, the Silver Wing, and have a passive, yet increasingly anxious interest in looking at Shiki, especially since its limited edition releases have been announced. In short, I need to sort all of this out. Despite all of that, Another will likely be a high priority because of its nigh-universal positive response. My coworkers, who have been watching it, tell me that it is pulled off relatively well, despite my scepticism, so it's not like I don't have good word to go on.

I'll get back to you on this. Smile
Gatherum

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2012 5:21 am Reply with quote
I have just watched episode 1. I believe that I can concede that the soundtrack appears suitable. In fact, I rather like it: it is not as detrimentally prevalent as I was led to believe and it builds quite phenomenally. I absolutely loved Mei's first appearance for this and other reasons.

My only qualm with said soundtrack is the opening, which seems entirely too upbeat for what this is. I'm not sure why they needed to use a J-Pop song; a dark industrial or classical number would have fit it better.

Same idea with the next episode previews. The ending was fine though.

Oh well.

It would seem that the moe style does lend well to the artistic purpose of the show, since it makes it very easy to infer on each character's thoughts. The lighting and colours used for they and the surrounding environments aren't compromising and, especially in the case of the latter, are actually very appropriate due to either the contrast or the levels (not sure which). In other words, it's colourful, but not bright and happy, which is relieving for me.

Story-wise, not bad. Episode 1 doesn't provide much information, obviously, but what's here is done with finesse, though it could have done without the introductory narration--I feel as if a greater effect could have been achieved if it was not known yet to the viewer who Mei was and that she is dead. I also felt as if Mei was a bit too social and talkative at the end of the episode--too cognitive, a bit too particular, at least compared to how she was in the elevator. Nevertheless, strange things appear to be afoot, and it doesn't feel as if anything too pertinent is known yet.

I want to see more, and I'll probably get around to it tomorrow, if not slightly later.
dirkusbirkus

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2012 5:57 am Reply with quote
Gatherum wrote:
My only qualm with said soundtrack is the opening, which seems entirely too upbeat for what this is. I'm not sure why they needed to use a J-Pop song; a dark industrial or classical number would have fit it better.

I'll take that one step further and say anything that isn't an Ali Project song would have been better. I have a great deal of respect for P.A. Works, so it was with some confusion I was faced with the OP for the first time, since I always associate AP songs with less than stellar productions (with a few notable exceptions). Needless to say, I skip the OP each and every time.

Thanks for sharing your opinions post-viewing. Of all the criticism levelled at Another, some I can understand (characterisation, pacing) and some I'm strongly against (production values, 'scare' factor). If nothing else, the fact that the series thread has generated 20 pages of discussion (with countless more to come at the end of the run, no doubt) is indicative of an interesting series. You said you've seen enough in that first episode to make you curious, good times. Be prepared to be consistently frustrated until around episode 5. Make it that far, however, and your perseverance will probably pay off in spades.

As an aside, be cautious about reading the aforementioned series thread. Despite copious use of spoiler tags, there are a lot of theories being bandied about in there. The Another wiki also apparently ruins one or two surprises so it may be wise to steer clear of that as well.
Noity

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2012 6:57 am Reply with quote
Another is an amazing anime, but as dirkusbirkus said, stay away from it's discussion thread and wiki, because there are a lot of spoilers floating around... I'd also like to agree with dirkusbirkus about watching anime at least till about 5-6 episode. Some of the details are revealed at those episodes, and if it won't interest you, THEN you can drop it. Well, I just hope that you will like this anime, because I like it A LOT ! Very Happy
Gatherum

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2012 8:23 am Reply with quote
I have completely caught up, so I suppose the Another (TV) thread is open to me now. I do a relatively good job of avoiding spoilers when I am interested in something. Smile

With that said, I am a patient sort, so none of it frustrated me, though that may partially be due to the fact that I did not begin watching until Underwater Subs' release of episode 10. Despite that, I took my time since I was also committed to a run through Outlaw Star.

I won't spoil anything myself, suffice to say that the soundtrack remains wholly suitable and entirely without the layering or thickness that would have detracted from the experience, and the mystery, while still seeming a bit straightforward due to the characters constantly elaborating on it, does keep me guessing, second-guessing, and admitting that I was, indeed, wrong in some places before.

I have come to realise that this is not a show about 'scares,' but about suspense and the creation of an atmosphere that separates the viewer from any kind of comfortable centre within themselves, and that it does a remarkable job of keeping you that way. Ironically enough, this magnifies one's paranoia, and you'll often be sitting there anyway, anxiously waiting for that frightening image or sound--that scare that will keep you up most, if not all, of the night. It's affecting me enough to the point that I am rather disconcerted sitting in this dark room of mine.

I only have two criticisms to level at it so far:

1. Most of the characters, at least for developing junior high students, seem just a bit too psychologically sound throughout all of this. Perhaps this is necessary because if they all went insane, no mystery would even be talked about or explored. However, I'd expect the majority of them to be displaying the beginnings of post-traumatic tendencies right about now.
2. It manages to be visceral without feeling like a cheap slasher/splatter gorefest, which is, quite frankly, not easy to pull of. It is quite commendable. However, it does have a habit of falling into the all-too common trap. What is that trap? Well...let me just say that the average human body does not contain 47 gallons of blood. That is all.

These qualms are both fairly minor. Good job, Another.

Definitely my favourite new anime for the year, and probably for a few years before it. I'd say that I am probably enjoying it more than Last Exile: Fam, the Silver Wing and definitely Shakugan no Shana (not that I am comparing the three since they're all entirely different).
Set1229

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2012 8:25 am Reply with quote
Hey fellow anime fans, I need something creepy BUT there are somethings to keep in mind:

1. I don't mind blood/guts and cruelty but if its towards characters who are or like like small children that crosses the line; if its simply talked about, not a problem.

2. Family abuse that is linked to rule 1 = no

3. Have not seen any supernatural horror except parts of Hell Girl (mixed feelings), Death Note (hated for very personal reasons) and I love Hellsing so far (read manga volume 1), but will try others.

4. I like Another so far. (Finished 8 episodes)
Lil Kis

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2012 8:54 pm Reply with quote
Here is horror anime I recommend to everyone that likes a good thrill....Shiki, Blassreiter, Berserk, Perfect Blue, Ghost Hound, Ghost Hunt, and When They Cry....
Keonyn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2012 9:30 pm Reply with quote
Why would you recommend them? What are they about? What kind of subject matter is involved? How long are they? etc etc.

Just providing a list isn't going to cut it, not to mention it violates the rules. You need to provide a bit more substance than that if you wish to contribute.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2012 12:14 am Reply with quote
I get the feeling I should add in the recent airing, almost finished, Dusk Maiden of Amnesia, it has been one of my favorites of the season at the moment. The ghost anime mostly dealt with a character who we the audience do not see too scary, but delves into scary ghost territory, and so far came to a good climax of horror that people were saying was a little too effective.
Dalvyn

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2012 5:46 am Reply with quote
I was going to mention When they Cry, and Another, but it seems that has already been taken care of.

The only other one that I can think of, and would call it horror, (though I believe that most people use the term liberally) would be Paranoia Agent.
HaruhiToy

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2012 8:13 am Reply with quote
I always thought Lunar Legend Tsukihime was a pretty gothic horror story that was mostly overlooked.

Another one that isn't really a horror is Darker Than Black but the surreal parts around the "Hells Gate" are really creepy.

They ruined this with the ginourmous-breast character designs, but Divergence Eve was also quite creepy with its ghouls. They did that part right.
Lil Kis

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2012 5:38 pm Reply with quote
[EDIT: No one-liners or listing. Put a reason. -TK]
bradlee

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 9:37 am Reply with quote
as mentioned earlier, Devilman (especially the sequels) is extremely awesome and gory. Scary... i'll leave up to you.

I know it's about Anime OVA but as far as japanese movies you might not normally stumble across i have toi highly reccommend Evil Dead Trap or Guinea Pig 2 if you really want to be terrified out of your mind. The saw and hostel movies truly have nothing on them
dragoneyes001

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 10:34 am Reply with quote
the 4kids version of One Piece!

do you really need any explanation as to why this is a horror?
yuna49

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 11:34 am Reply with quote
Since no one has mentioned Bakeneko or Mononoke in this thread for over a year, I'll recommend them here. "Bakeneko" (or "Goblin Cat" in English) is the third arc of Ayakashi Samurai Horror Tales and orders of magnitude better than the other two shows in that anthology. It features remarkable artwork that seems derived from Japanese scroll painting, a compelling though disturbing story, and my favorite male seiyuu performance of all time by Sakurai Takahiro in the lead role of a travelling medicine seller who also slays demons. One of my top-ten anime shows.

Bakeneko was so popular that a sequel was commissioned by noitaminA called Mononoke. It's also an anthology, but all the stories follow the path of the medicine seller as he encounters other demonic presences. The stories in Mononoke are more variable in quality than the original, but some of them are strong competitors. Unfortunately the original did not sell very well in the US so Mononoke was never licensed. It's not hard to find, though. In Japan, Mononoke sold over 12,000 units and was one of the most successful shows (in terms of disc sales) that noitaiminA has ever aired. It's been re-released in a Blu-ray set that, at around $300, is outside my price range. Mononoke falls just behind Dennou Coil on my personal list of shows most deserving of an R1 release.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 4 of 6