• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: New February ADV Releases

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jedi General

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2007 1:15 am Reply with quote
Richard J. wrote:
Jedi General wrote:
britannicamoore wrote:
This is nice but still no news on Sergent Frog?

My thoughts exactly. ADV has been sitting on that one for a while now.
No news is fine by me. Lack of news means I can still hope that everything is just fine. When you get the news, that's when you actually find out whether you're using this emoticon Very Happy or this one Crying or Very sad .

Heh. You do have a point there, Richard. It's better to be optimistic, I suppose. Smile
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Sarkozy

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2007 1:16 am Reply with quote
Been waiting for some Gurren-Lagann and ofcourse the delicious KyoAni Kanon. <3
Jedi General

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2007 1:20 am Reply with quote
Speaking of Gurren-Lagann, perhaps I should give it another chance once it starts coming out in English. I do prefer dubs after all. I dropped the series after watching the "next episode preview" at the end of episode seven. Anime cry
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Zalis116

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2007 1:44 am Reply with quote
Hmm, if Magikano Vol. 2 is "Witch Hunt," I'm betting that Vol. 3 will be something like "Witch Trials" or "Which Witch?" or maybe "Burn the Witch" Evil or Very Mad Nice to see Kanon getting the monthly treatment and an artbox. I saw one episode of TTGL at a con in June, and to be honest I wasn't too impressed by it. The FLCL/Abenobashi - style designs just didn't sit right with the "serious" story to me. Maybe I saw that infamous episode 4 that wasn't completely animated when it aired. But between that and the ridiculous oversubbing that went on (without one group that I knew or trusted involved), I didn't feel the need to DL any more of it. So maybe I'll give it a chance when the DVDs are all out with translations I can trust.
Seif

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2007 2:48 am Reply with quote
Jedi General wrote:
Speaking of Gurren-Lagann, perhaps I should give it another chance once it starts coming out in English. I do prefer dubs after all. I dropped the series after watching the "next episode preview" at the end of episode seven. Anime cry

WHAT?! You get back onto youtube and watch that shit right now. Episode 8 is amazing!
Emerje

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2007 5:12 am Reply with quote
Seif wrote:
Jedi General wrote:

WHAT?! You get back onto youtube and watch that shit right now. Episode 8 is amazing!

Heh, I don't know that I would go that far, but definitely look forward to watching it when it hits DVD (hopefully volume 2, but I bet they'll drop to three episodes after volume 1). It defines the phrase "emotional rollercoaster". In a sense it also somewhat defines the series as a whole.

Emerje
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Zalis116

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2007 6:07 am Reply with quote
It seems like ADV's been avoiding the dreaded 3-episode disc lately; their stated plans have been to release 12-13 episode shows on 3 discs, and 24-26 episode series on 6 discs. I understand TTGL has a rather odd 27 episodes...I'm banking on a 7-disc 4-4-4-4-4-4-3 release. Dropping to 3 eps at disc 2 would probably imply an 8-disc release, and I don't think ADV's crazy enough to try that. Even though it worked so well for Geneon on shows like Tenjou Tenge and Stellvia...oh wait.
Maidenoftheredhand

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2007 9:28 am Reply with quote
Well they could still do a 6 DVD release if they do

5-5-5-4-4-4

A lot of companies have been releasing DVDs with 5 episodes on them lately (though usually it is 2 DVDs with 5 episodes not 3)

While I am not so happy about the supposed DVD cover (seen on AOD) I am ecstatic that Gurren Lagann is finally being released over here. I can't wait to get the series on DVD.

Edit: Although it looks like the first DVD might only be 100 mins so that would be 4 episodes.

Last edited by Maidenoftheredhand on Sat Dec 01, 2007 10:36 am; edited 1 time in total
Furudanuki

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2007 10:03 am Reply with quote
I put in a pre-order for volume #1 of Kanon the day its release was announced, so needless to say I will be jumping right on volume #2 + the artbox. I'm not as big a fan of Gurren-Lagann as a lot of people here appear to be, but that's mainly due to my general disinterest in mecha and shounen-action series. That said, I actually found Gurren-Lagann to be a solidly entertaining series - pretty high praise from me for a show of its type - and I'll be buying the DVD.

Only other series I see here that is a certain "will buy" is Magikano. It isn't a great series but I was amused enough to watch the whole run on fansubs, so I pretty much feel obligated to buy as a matter of personal principle. I'll wait until I can get a good discount, though. We tanuki may have principles, but we aren't crazy. OK, maybe some of us are. Very Happy
Fabe

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2007 1:28 pm Reply with quote
Superflyz wrote:
No Gunslinger Girl volume 7?

The list was DVDs only but I can see volume 7 coming out around the same time.I just picked up 6 my self spoiler[It'll be interesting to see how Petrushka gets along with the other girls]
calawain

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2007 1:55 pm Reply with quote
Kanon is yay, I was able to catch a pre-order of volume 2 in the current TRSI sale. However, GL was meh, too brainless for me to buy.
kayjay

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2007 2:11 pm Reply with quote
If they use a 4 episode count per disk for TTGL,that'll of course mean that volume 1 will end with the now infamous episode 4 (the very one that forced a couple of Gainax high-ups to resign).
What a way to finish a dvd on a bum note.
Banryuu

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2007 2:52 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, seems like there's only 4 episodes on the first volume. Too bad the animators did not remade that painful episode. But, if they also release only 4 episodes in the remaining volumes, then volume two will end on Episode 8.Shocked

If they do a 6 DVD release, episodes 24-27 should compiled as the last volume having four episodes as this is the final EPIC arc, the remaining at 5 episodes each. If they stick with 4 eps per volume, I think it's better to end one volume at episode 15 and start the next one at 16 since this is a recap. They can also add episode 5.5 so that all the volumes have 4 episodes each.
Emerje

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2007 3:14 pm Reply with quote
Zalis116 wrote:
It seems like ADV's been avoiding the dreaded 3-episode disc lately; their stated plans have been to release 12-13 episode shows on 3 discs, and 24-26 episode series on 6 discs. I understand TTGL has a rather odd 27 episodes...I'm banking on a 7-disc 4-4-4-4-4-4-3 release. Dropping to 3 eps at disc 2 would probably imply an 8-disc release, and I don't think ADV's crazy enough to try that. Even though it worked so well for Geneon on shows like Tenjou Tenge and Stellvia...oh wait.

I guess that sounds about right, though hopefully if the last volume is three episodes they'll throw us a couple freebies on the disc like staff interviews and Japanese commercials. It's actually been a while since I've bought an ADV DVD, the majority of shows I bought this year were from either Bandai or Geneon. Who knows what next year will look like.

Maidenoftheredhand wrote:
While I am not so happy about the supposed DVD cover (seen on AOD) I am ecstatic that Gurren Lagann is finally being released over here. I can't wait to get the series on DVD.

Where exactly did you see the cover? Looked all over AOD and couldn't find it.

kayjay wrote:
If they use a 4 episode count per disk for TTGL,that'll of course mean that volume 1 will end with the now infamous episode 4 (the very one that forced a couple of Gainax high-ups to resign).

Yeah, but it seems to be unavoidable. Maybe they could do a little ad-lib on the preview of episode five to point out that the animation picks up again.

Emerje
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Zalis116

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2007 3:27 pm Reply with quote
kayjay wrote:
It's possible they fixed it for the DVD release, though -- apparently that was one of those "Animation's not done, but it's still gotta air" timecrunch situations.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4