• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Spice and Wolf (TV).

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Agent Denton

PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2009 2:20 am Reply with quote
The normal DVD sales don't seem too good, but the Blu-Ray sales seem fine, ranking 4th and 7th in overall sales; in both cases it was the second best selling anime on Blu-Ray.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2009 4:04 am Reply with quote
I had to check on youtube to see the dub trailer due to region locking. I liked the sound Lawrence's dub voice, I am not totaly sold on "Holo's", but I think I can see how it can be a good fit for her many emotions.
The King of Harts

PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2009 8:07 am Reply with quote
My bad. I didn't remember has region locking. I added a Youtube link to my original post.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Ktimene's Lover

PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2009 9:25 am Reply with quote
I really wish simulcasts wouldn't have region locks for our foreign buddies. At least with YouTube, they have sections different areas of the world though they can be region locked also.

Last edited by Ktimene's Lover on Mon Nov 02, 2009 9:16 am; edited 1 time in total
Key

PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2009 11:24 pm Reply with quote
Brina sounded acceptable in that intro, and she's done enough other good work that she should generally be fine, but the real test will come in the scenes where Holo is sly and/or ornery. The original performance was most distinctive in those parts, and if Brina can capture the essence of the characterization in those parts then the whole dub should work.

Aargh, I'm getting impatient for the American release of the boxed set. I already have most of the review written for it, excepting the release-specific parts.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
farichada

PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2009 1:38 am Reply with quote
Just heard the Spice and Wolf English dub promo, and while different I am looking forward to hearing the more suave, and sophisticated voice performances for Holo. I admit it lacks the cuteness of the original, but an English dub can be great even if the English VA doesn't entirely copy the Japanese VA. I really don't know why some anime fans are so anal about this. It's not like the anime is the base source material-- that would be the light novels. And honestly, when I heard her voice is Japanese I always thought it lacked a heavier dose of sophistication and debonair that the English voice seems to deliver. Her voice also sounds more mature and a bit more womanly. I think its perfectly fine if the Japanese and American studios have a slightly different take on Holo would sound, and honestly I am taken in by her English voice, and it seems pretty awesome so far. Lastly, her voice remains faithful to the Japanese dub when it matters most, I love how their choice of English words has successfully emulated the older way of speech that Holo had in the Japanese performance.

Lawrence on the other hand sounds like a shady dealer from Bob's bargain bin, and a bit stiff. Stiff does complement his personality a bit, but I hope the performance doesn't falter when emotion is required. So far, I like Holo's voice a lot more than Lawrence's.
Ktimene's Lover

PostPosted: Sun Nov 08, 2009 9:33 am Reply with quote
farichada, your last post is a reason why the dub vs. sub war exists. Having heard clips of Brina playing emotionless and serious characters before, I enjoyed the clip.
frentymon
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2009 12:46 am Reply with quote
I just watched the entire thing all the way from the first episode of the first season to the very end of season 2. I know very early on in the thread I said I didn't care for the show too much, and up to episode 6 of the first season I would still say that, but somewhere along the way, the priceless interaction between the two main characters, who, as I found out, are the only recurring characters in the whole show. I wouldn't normally say this about any show, but I thought putting the focus on the romance and the ever strengthening relationship between the two characters first and the plot and basically everything else second was one of the best things they could have done. What it basically amounted to was a beautiful medieval-setting love story sprinkled with bits of plot.

In any case, Horo is an absolutely amazing character in my opinion, probably one of my favorite characters of all time. She's cute, but at the same time, being a wise wolf spirit who has lived a long time, she's wise and knows it. She outsmarts Lawrence some of the time but not all of the time, and definitely isn't any damsel in distress as spoiler[she manages to save herself in the first half of the first season and in fact save Lawrence too.] What she says always feels like "okay the producers made her say that just to say that" at first, but they always end up returning to what she said before and it all makes sense and fits together really well so that you as the viewer really understand what kind of person...er, wolf she is. There's also many sides to her depending on her mood, and they're all really cute and unique, and most of all, completely consistent. There's teasing Horo, moe Horo, angry/serious Horo...etc. Also, her Oiran dialect really ended up growing on me, and I can never tire of hearing those wacchi's, nushi's, ya's, ja's, and of course, ~de arinse.

Just for the brilliant characterization (Lawrence is great too, but I don't feel like getting into him), I'd rate both seasons an Excellent. Although the ending did feel a little bit rushed.
Kirkdawg
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2009 1:15 am Reply with quote
May I ask you (Frentymon) what changed your mind the second time around? Or perhaps your perspective has changed between the first and second viewing?
frentymon
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2009 1:09 am Reply with quote
I think it had something to do with the first six episodes of the first season being a little misleading. After watching up to that point, I thought that (a) spoiler[Horo and Lawrence would be close but the relationship would stay platonic forever, more like close business partners or something like that], and (b) spoiler[the story will continue as something where the enemy will plot to kill them again and they have to run away, again], and a possible (c) spoiler[the Medio Company, Milone Company, and Chloe would continue to stick around as characters for the rest of the series], and honestly I didn't like a single one of them.

Now about (a), spoiler[I thought that way because I didn't see it coming that the focus would be a romance between a 25 year old man and a 600 year old deity who looks and (sometimes) acts like a 17 year old girl. Horo became a lot more charming after episode 6 for some reason.]

Now about (b) and (c), spoiler[I liked how they took the story slow after that point and the second arc had Lawrence getting screwed over the merchant way, not chased by bad guys. Season 1 Ep 1-6, the first arc, remains my least favorite arc in the entire show mainly because I had no bloody clue what was going on the whole time, the dialogue was more confusing than necessary, and I didn't think Horo's plan to act as a divergence was a good idea considering that Lawrence got to Milone trading with little trouble, and he could've probably done the same taking Horo with him as well, which would have easily subverted the entire rest of the arc. Chloe was also super annoying and I really didn't like her and wanted to see her gone as soon as possible. In short, up to that point, I appreciated the main characters, but that sentiment was outweighed heavily by my dislike of the plot. The fact that the next 3 arcs were all drastically better made a huge difference.]

Also, from the very beginning this time around I came to terms with Horo's being old and also her accent and it didn't bother me like it did the first time I watched the show. Not quite sure why. Anime catgrin + sweatdrop
WanderingWolf

PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2010 11:43 pm Reply with quote
all in all, i very much enjoyed the slow pace of both seasons. its a nice calming anime that you can sit back and relax watching. being business oriented, it doesn't have you at the edge of your seat, but its still extremely easy to love. i came across this anime by accident, i watched the first episode and was instantly charmed by the art, voice-work, and the story. in most animations the characters seem to almost instantly love each other at surprising rates. wolf and spice on the other hand takes things slow and realistically. i am going to buy the first season as soon as i get the chance. i previewed some of the English version and the voice work of the characters seem to be excellent.

i also cannot wait for the third season that will most surely come around.
APPLE 01 DOJ

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2011 11:34 pm Reply with quote
Just started watching this on netflix. Absolutely love it.

Went to amazon to look for blu-ray, didn't find any.

Anyone know if there is plans to release this on blu-ray?
Key

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2011 1:32 am Reply with quote
Nothing, to my knowledge, has been announced about any Blu-Rays for the series. Heck, they haven't even announced a DVD release for the second season yet. (At least not that I've heard, anyway.)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
ailblentyn

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2011 1:11 pm Reply with quote
angel_lover wrote:
spoiler[I hope it doesn't turn into something like Princess Mononoke meets Witchfinder General.]
My jaw just hit the floor at the thought you sparked. An epic anime series about the career of Matthew Hopkins... I want it.
Key

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2011 1:27 pm Reply with quote
ailblentyn wrote:
angel_lover wrote:
spoiler[I hope it doesn't turn into something like Princess Mononoke meets Witchfinder General.]
My jaw just hit the floor at the thought you sparked. An epic anime series about the career of Matthew Hopkins... I want it.

And how many other people in these forums would actually recognize that reference without looking it up, I wonder? (I know it because I once did a graduate-level history paper on witchcraft in the place and time period where he was active.)
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 33 of 35