• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Live-Action Dragonball Film Wraps Shooting in Mexico

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Keonyn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2008 2:09 am Reply with quote
This has got to be one of the stupidest lines of discussion I've ever read. Movies failing because the actors weren't asian? Wow, you might as well stamp elitist on your forehead. Heck, martial arts may have originated in Asia, but they're it's pretty much a global culture now. Saying it will look weird if non-Asians do martial arts is just plain silly as non-Asians have been doing martial arts for decades, probably even more than a century.

"One Missed Call" also failed because it was just a god awful concept with no good actors in it. As mentioned, I highly doubt anyone didn't watch it because the actors weren't Asian. Seriously, I would love to see you hit the streets here in the US and find one person who would seriously give that as your reason. I'm willing to bet you'd be working on that for quite some time.

Besides, none of the DBZ characters even resemble Asians really. Anime characters are pretty well known for being racially ambiguous, and DBZ is no exception there. I could care less if the actors portraying them aren't Asian because the characters, frankly, don't even look Asian.

Let me just say that closed minded and generalized assumptions have just about never amounted to anything good, so I'd be careful there. You're obviously very proud of your ancestry, but Pride is often seen as a sin or negative trait in many cultures for a reason, and I think we're seeing a demonstration of sorts here.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Asian Guy

PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2008 2:25 am Reply with quote
Keonyn wrote:
This has got to be one of the stupidest lines of discussion I've ever read. Wow, you might as well stamp elitist on your forehead. Heck, martial arts may have originated in Asia, but they're it's pretty much a global culture now. Saying it will look weird if non-Asians do martial arts is just plain silly as non-Asians have been doing martial arts for decades, probably even more than a century.

The discussion are about how Dragon Ball live movie will fail for not using Asian actors since Dragon Ball are an Anime whose story, settings and characters are Asian. So it is not about Movies failing because the actors weren't asian? like you have said.

Quote:

"One Missed Call" also failed because it was just a god awful concept with no good actors in it. As mentioned, I highly doubt anyone didn't watch it because the actors weren't Asian. Seriously, I would love to see you hit the streets here in the US and find one person who would seriously give that as your reason. I'm willing to bet you'd be working on that for quite some time.

You can not put and old actor to act as a young cheerful person or you will see them odd, so the point is the actor not suited for the task.

Quote:

Besides, none of the DBZ characters even resemble Asians really. Anime characters are pretty well known for being racially ambiguous, and DBZ is no exception there. I could care less if the actors portraying them aren't Asian because the characters, frankly, don't even look Asian.

Let me just say that closed minded and generalized assumptions have just about never amounted to anything good, so I'd be careful there. You're obviously very proud of your ancestry, but Pride is often seen as a sin or negative trait in many cultures for a reason, and I think we're seeing a demonstration of sorts here.

The one who generalize and close minded is yourself, just read back at what you have said below :

Keonyn wrote:
This has got to be one of the stupidest lines of discussion I've ever read. Movies failing because the actors weren't asian? Wow, you might as well stamp elitist on your forehead. Heck, martial arts may have originated in Asia, but they're it's pretty much a global culture now. Saying it will look weird if non-Asians do martial arts is just plain silly as non-Asians have been doing martial arts for decades, probably even more than a century.

About Pride as sin is only in Christianity and or in the western culture. In Asian culture pride is what make someone worth to be called as human, without pride someoen just the same like Anime in human shape. That is what we Asian belief in our culture.
fokkusuhaundo

PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2008 3:07 am Reply with quote
Asian Guy wrote:
[About Pride as sin is only in Christianity and or in the western culture. In Asian culture pride is what make someone worth to be called as human, without pride someoen just the same like Anime in human shape. That is what we Asian belief in our culture.

Please speak for yourself. As proud as I am to be Asian (I'm Vietnamese), I'm also Catholic so the whole "pride is sin only in Christianity" does not apply to me at all, and what makes you think that other cultures can't have pride in themselves?. I'm actually glad that Goku isn't played by an Asian guy, even though I know the reason why is probably because there are still people in Hollywood who believe that a big budget movie cannot do well with an Asian as the lead character. Why? Because there are already enough movies with Asians doing crazy stunts and martial arts action as there is that add to the stereotype here in the US that all Asians must know some form of kung fu. You don't seem to realize that this movie is made with an American audience in mind. And like it was said before, there are Asian people in this film: Chow Yun-Fat, Jamie Chung, Joon Park, Eriko Tamura, and Randall Duk Kim.
fighterholic

PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2008 3:08 am Reply with quote
Psycho 101 wrote:
Zac said it best himself already fighter back on page 2.

Yes, I saw that one on, and now I will let it go with my part. So I will not say anything more to deter this thread.
fokkusuhaundo

PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2008 3:17 am Reply with quote
Psycho 101 wrote:
Zac said it best himself already fighter back on page 2.

Perhaps I shouldn't have added my own fuel to the fire. Sad
Asian Guy

PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2008 5:07 am Reply with quote
fokkusuhaundo wrote:
Asian Guy wrote:
[About Pride as sin is only in Christianity and or in the western culture. In Asian culture pride is what make someone worth to be called as human, without pride someoen just the same like Anime in human shape. That is what we Asian belief in our culture.

Please speak for yourself. As proud as I am to be Asian (I'm Vietnamese), I'm also Catholic so the whole "pride is sin only in Christianity" does not apply to me at all, and what makes you think that other cultures can't have pride in themselves?.
What do you mean by the sentence you said that I put in bold? And please don't be ignorant by saying you are still a Vietnamese or Asian while you choose to change your nationality as American, the real Vietnamese or the Vietnamese who loyal to their country will surely hurted by a traitor who claim to be one of them but choose to have other nationality.
Quote:
I'm actually glad that Goku isn't played by an Asian guy, even though I know the reason why is probably because there are still people in Hollywood who believe that a big budget movie cannot do well with an Asian as the lead character. Why? Because there are already enough movies with Asians doing crazy stunts and martial arts action as there is that add to the stereotype here in the US that all Asians must know some form of kung fu.

Especially if the traitor think he know what it means to be a real Vietnamese or Asian but act the opposite.

Quote:

You don't seem to realize that this movie is made with an American audience in mind. And like it was said before, there are Asian people in this film: Chow Yun-Fat, Jamie Chung, Joon Park, Eriko Tamura, and Randall Duk Kim.

Did you read my posting at all before you reply me? I have said this [ the Dragon Ball that will fail ] will be a deferent story if the Dragon Ball live movie not follwing the same story and settings of the Dragon Ball Anime.

I'm sure even American best actress can not do a cute adorable Chi Chi well or American best actor can not do a martial art expert Tien Shin Han, that was why they hiring some Asian actors on the movie. But still, the story will have the probablity to fall if Goku still played by American.
braves

PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2008 10:25 am Reply with quote
I hope we get to see a trailer soon, though I'm not too optimistic about this movie.

Asian Guy wrote:
What do you mean by the sentence you said that I put in bold? And please don't be ignorant by saying you are still a Vietnamese or Asian while you choose to change your nationality as American, the real Vietnamese or the Vietnamese who loyal to their country will surely hurted by a traitor who claim to be one of them but choose to have other nationality.

You sure talk a lot of BS. Rolling Eyes
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
DClark

PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2008 12:48 pm Reply with quote
braves wrote:
You sure talk a lot of BS. Rolling Eyes

But it's Asian BS, which is superior to American BS Laughing .

But to add to the thread and change the subject, I saw this blurb over at Kotaku where the rumour is that a Dragonball sequel has already been arranged to begin shooting in Q1 2009 (though whether we see a second movie will depend how well the first movie does). Reading the blurb and some of the links accompanying the blurb hint that there may be a third picture as well.

Just remember there's a difference between a good movie and a profitable movie, and its profitability is what's going to decide whether there will be more of them.
Keonyn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2008 1:15 pm Reply with quote
Asian Guy wrote:
The discussion are about how Dragon Ball live movie will fail for not using Asian actors since Dragon Ball are an Anime whose story, settings and characters are Asian. So it is not about Movies failing because the actors weren't asian? like you have said.

Who said the movies story will be a carbon copy? Chances are the settings and nationalities will be left ambiguous. Not to mention from what I've seen of Dragonball, the settings are only about as Asian as one could expect from something that's made in Asia. It's like saying Star Trek is American because they speak English and the screens are in English.

Asian Guy wrote:
You can not put and old actor to act as a young cheerful person or you will see them odd, so the point is the actor not suited for the task.

Nope, you couldn't, but you can put a qualified actor in the role of a racially ambiguous character quite easily.

Asian Guy wrote:
The one who generalize and close minded is yourself, just read back at what you have said below :

Okay, so I'm closed minded because I'm not buying in to the idea that the movie will fail as a result of not having asian actors? So by opposing a mindset that is closed-minded, I myself am closed-minded? Interesting, quite the paradox I've found myself in. Something tells me I'll survive though.

Asian Guy wrote:
About Pride as sin is only in Christianity and or in the western culture. In Asian culture pride is what make someone worth to be called as human, without pride someoen just the same like Anime in human shape. That is what we Asian belief in our culture.

Most cultures outside of Christianity teach pride, or rather an abundance of it, to be a bad thing. Yeah, pride can be a good thing, but in excess as we see here it can be quite a negative notion. Many cultures, including asian cultures, do teach pride, but they also balance it with humility. It doesn't matter anyhow as I wasn't implying that you have to abide by the concept, but rather that this here is an example of why the concept is so common. It doesn't matter if you believe it or the exact opposite, that won't change the way people will see you as a result of your actions.
Asian Guy

PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2008 2:18 pm Reply with quote
Keonyn wrote:
Asian Guy wrote:

Who said the movies story will be a carbon copy? Chances are the settings and nationalities will be left ambiguous. Not to mention from what I've seen of Dragonball, the settings are only about as Asian as one could expect from something that's made in Asia. It's like saying Star Trek is American because they speak English and the screens are in English.

Did the Kung Fu like martial arts, temple, character name, kanji symbol on the characters cloth not Asian look for you?
Start trek is american because it is using American peoples as the actors. The same with Dragon Ball live movie that not just using Asian characters but also name, settings. etc.

Asian Guy wrote:
Quote:

Nope, you couldn't, but you can put a qualified actor in the role of a racially ambiguous character quite easily.

And which actors they are? American trying to look like Asian?

Asian Guy wrote:

Okay, so I'm closed minded because I'm not buying in to the idea that the movie will fail as a result of not having asian actors? So by opposing a mindset that is closed-minded, I myself am closed-minded? Interesting, quite the paradox I've found myself in. Something tells me I'll survive though.

You are generalizing and close minded when you asking Movies failing because the actors weren't asian? while no one in this topic have said that before you ask it.

[quote="Asian Guy"]About Pride as sin is only in Christianity and or in the western culture. In Asian culture pride is what make someone worth to be called as human, without pride someoen just the same like Anime in human shape. That is what we Asian belief in our culture.
Quote:

Most cultures outside of Christianity teach pride, or rather an abundance of it, to be a bad thing. Yeah, pride can be a good thing, but in excess as we see here it can be quite a negative notion. Many cultures, including asian cultures, do teach pride, but they also balance it with humility. It doesn't matter anyhow as I wasn't implying that you have to abide by the concept, but rather that this here is an example of why the concept is so common. It doesn't matter if you believe it or the exact opposite, that won't change the way people will see you as a result of your actions.

You are also generalizing when saying pride is a sin in most culture while it is only in western culture that are populated by christians. I never mention how American race or other race are inferior or bad, so I don't know why you said Yeah, pride can be a good thing, but in excess as we see here it can be quite a negative notion. Many cultures, including asian cultures, do teach pride, but they also balance it with humility.
Vuwazy

PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2008 11:00 pm Reply with quote
Asian Guy wrote:
In Asian culture pride is what make someone worth to be called as human, without pride someoen just the same like Anime in human shape. That is what we Asian belief in our culture.

I am one myself and will say you have a point about asian pride. But be aware that when something is taken too excessively it can put someone on.

You're saying how it would be better if some characters were cast by an asian actor. Is it because some of the charaters in the Dragon Ball series have black hair and eyebrows?

DClark wrote:
But it's Asian BS, which is superior to American BS Laughing .

Laughing

I'm asian but that was funny.
Asian Guy

PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2008 12:49 am Reply with quote
Vuwazy wrote:

You're saying how it would be better if some characters were cast by an asian actor. Is it because some of the charaters in the Dragon Ball series have black hair and eyebrows?

No, but because of the Asian martical arts, name, story and settings of the Dragon Ball that will be odd if performed by non Asian. I have said that how I think even the best American actress can not perform a cute adorable Chi Chi and some of my other points.
testorschoice

PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2008 12:55 am Reply with quote
Asian Guy wrote:
Vuwazy wrote:

No, but because of the Asian martical arts, name, story and settings of the Dragon Ball that will be odd if performed by non Asian. I have said that how I think even the best American actress can not perform a cute adorable Chi Chi and some of my other points.

Yes, you keep raising Chi Chi as the most important character to "keep" Asian and not American. Did you notice that Chi Chi actress Jamie Chung is Asian-American?
Asian Guy

PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2008 1:31 am Reply with quote
Asian American? what do you mean by that? did you mean she is half Asian and half American or she just change nationality as American when she is full Asian?

Not just Chi Chi but other human characters in Dragon Ball also Asian looking. Will it not be odd to see an American person acting as Goku when on his cloth there are writen a Kanji symbol? also Goku is known as Asian only name commontly known as Son Goku from Chinese popular novel of Journey To The West. Chinese language only used in Asia unlike english that are used in several countries even in Africa and Asia also english used as international language.

So which characters Yamcha going to be?
britannicamoore

PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2008 1:49 am Reply with quote
Asian Guy wrote:
Asian American? what do you mean by that? did you mean she is half Asian and half American or she just change nationality as American when she is full Asian?

Not just Chi Chi but other human characters in Dragon Ball also Asian looking. Will it not be odd to see an American person acting as Goku when on his cloth there are writen a Kanji symbol? also Goku is known as Asian only name commontly known as Son Goku from Chinese popular novel of Journey To The West. Chinese language only used in Asia unlike english that are used in several countries even in Africa and Asia also english used as international language.

So which characters Yamcha going to be?

Its not "changing" your nationality. I don't know about this actress, but from the little I do know about her, she is Korean-American. Or, in other words, an American of Koren decent.
She was born here, so she's American.

Kind of like they call me an African American but i haven't touched Africa ever.

None of the charcters in DBZ or most anime for that matter look asian. There are some shows but for the most part, just because they have an asian name doesn't mean they are.

As for an american playing Goku and the Kanji- there are enough americans walking around with Kanji tattos. No one says they are inferior to america because they didn't just write their tattoo in english.

Many who see this movie would probably just think its a pretty smybol and have no idea what it stands for.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 4 of 7