• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Anime in School.

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ramiel_X

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2004 6:36 pm Reply with quote
Today we got to watch some of Grave of the Fireflies in my English 3 class. I've been meaning to see this for some time and I was excited 'cause I was like "Hey, anime I want to see, for free.....who loses?". Of course it gets ruined...by idiots who wouldn't shut up, people who wouldn't stop crumpling papers, people who were making fun of the movie, and the sound on the T.V was so low, you couldn't hear anything, even though the T.V was turned all the way up.

I was so disappointed that I just said, "Forget this, I'll go and rent it if I have to but I won't miss out on a good anime just because people in my class can't appreciate art." So I went to sleep. Sorry for the kind of rant, but just wanted to tell the anime in class story, since it probably won't happen again.
monkeyDluffy4

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2004 8:18 pm Reply with quote
In my French class we were almost allowed to watch my Evangelion Volume 1 DVD in French with the subtitles, but my French teacher saw the "Mature Content" label on the back and said no. Crying or Very sad That's probably for the better. For the most part my French class is incredlibly immature and would have only paid attention to the fanservice. :/

I really wish my school had an anime club...But it doesn't.

We did watch Finding Nemo in Art class, though...
littlegreenwolf

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2004 8:49 pm Reply with quote
I host an anime club in one of the library rooms in my highschool two days a week. We're about to start the eva series, and the guys keep begging me to bring in hentai.
one3rd

PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2004 1:13 am Reply with quote
I watched Barefoot Gen in an English class. It's about the A-bomb attacks. It's interesting that the encyclopedia has it as unlicensed since I'm pretty sure that it was an English dub.
Empyrical

PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2004 11:34 am Reply with quote
In my Critical Viewing class, we have watched many episodes of Evangelion, and have watched Jin-Roh and Ghost In The Shell as well.

In one of my Psychology classes, we watched Akira and then wrote a paper on it! Shocked
TF

PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2004 3:01 pm Reply with quote
damn, i wished we had an anime club on the university or so
jmays
ANN Associate Editor

PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2004 3:08 pm Reply with quote
monkeyDluffy4 wrote:
I really wish my school had an anime club...But it doesn't.

TF wrote:
damn, i wished we had an anime club on the university or so

Then start one.
littlegreenwolf

PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2004 3:27 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, it's not really that hard to start an anime club in your school. Just get a certian amount of students together, and show anime. In schools pretty much everything, the tvs, vcrs, digiatl projects, ect, are ment to be there for student use. It's not just stuff for teachers.

Check out the library and see what rules they have on checking out equipment, and find out about a room to host it in. In highschool you need a teacher nearby at all time. Since the libarians stay from when school gets out *2* till 3:30, we get a nice hour and a half to watch anime in one of the extra rooms connected to the libarary. I pretty much have to supply all of our anime, but it's not that hard to get ahold of fansubs, or see if other members have anime you guys can watch.

There's steps you have to take usually to have your school "officially" recognize your club though.
MasterFuu

PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2004 3:41 pm Reply with quote
You sure u dont have Anime Club on Uni?? Almost every high-school, Community College and Uni's have Anime Clubs .. u better check one more time bro Smile

EDIT: Well, as for me I never watched anime in school/college class Sad
If I had to chose one movie I would go for KITE j/k Smile . I mean Jin-Roh Anime smile
HeeroYuy135

PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2004 7:10 pm Reply with quote
I've watched a few of the Miyasaki movies in japanese class (I'm sorry, but my think of the names right of my head right now Sad ) but thats about it. i do remember a time during middle school when a bunch of my friends watched ew in spanish class for no apparent reason... Very Happy but after that thats about it...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Aromatic Grass

PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2004 7:29 pm Reply with quote
We have an anime club at out school, but we're losing members. That means that we cannot finish the manga we were working on! Crying or Very sad
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Pat Payne

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2004 8:21 pm Reply with quote
Back a couple of terms ago at the University of Oregon, there was a calss on Mamoru Oshii. It was great. We watched Ghost in the Shell, Angel's Egg, Patlabors 1 and 2, Urusei Yatsura 2, Jin-Roh, Avalon and Blood: the Last Vampire. Also, in a Japanese history class on WW2, we saw Grave of the Fireflies. That on top of the TUNAC anime club. Anime smile Sorry about bragging just a little.
Inu-Yasha

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2004 8:46 pm Reply with quote
Hmmm, I'm trying to start an anime club at MCC(Muscatine Communtiy College) in Iowa. All I need now is to find a professor to supervise it...and then anime club will finally start. In highschool my fellow classmates and I did not have an anime club but we did watch anime after school on their TV's so it wasn't a total loss.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger My Anime My Manga
space clam

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2004 9:07 pm Reply with quote
Anime at my school is about as "underground" as it gets. Going to a Christian school definitely puts a hamper on it, as the teachers either dismiss it as stupid cartoons; or, the "more informed" say every last anime is full of sex and violence (decidedly non-Christian) Fortuantely, my English teacher is more understanding, and she recognizes anime/manga as more of an art form, and capable of possessing some real value. As such, I am trying to put together a short video presentation in English to go together with my Shinto report. (see other thread.)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger ICQ Number
king_micah

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2004 9:11 pm Reply with quote
TUNAC does not have nearly the great name that the Oregon State Animatrix has. (We predate the OVAs by 6 years). However, we don't run a con either.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2