• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Hey, Answerman! [2008-08-22]

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bonbonsrus

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2008 9:22 am Reply with quote
I have bad headaches (migrains) sometimes, although much much less than I used to, and you can call the Dr. and get prescription meds that will help. Much better than Excederin or whatever.
The thing I always find amazing about those bad headaches is how incredibly good I fell when it's over. You don't notice how good normal can feel until you have felt very bad for a bit. I always like that part about the headaches, the part where it leaves and I feel wonderful...euphoric for a bit even. I hope you feel that soon, headaches suck.

cute bottle fed bunny
Zalis116

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2008 9:22 am Reply with quote
brittanicamoore wrote:
Matt Greenfield vs. David Williams= David williams, his picture looks so badass.
Looking badass is one thing, but I've seen them both in person and estimate that Greenfield's got about 1.5 feet in height and 100 pounds advantage over Williams. So unless dlw knows some bad-ass martial arts, I wouldn't bet on him Cool [/quote]
arbitrary

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2008 9:29 am Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:
On the subject of fansubs, there is a large contingency of fans who want the American market for anime to fail. They want anime fandom to revert entirely back to fansubs, which they say are more "pure", as they are done by fans, and not the big, evil corporations that have the gall to trying marketing anime to a wider audience. These "fans", the image board types, the ones that refuse to do anything to support an industry that not only made anime easier for them to obtain, but bent over backwards to do so, are the most frustrating part of the modern anime fandom.

I hate people like that because then I am shuffled into that category because I watch fansubbs. And I spend 2-300 dollars a month on anime related products. Anime books is my second home and Rightstuff has me on their subscriber list.
arbitrary

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2008 9:32 am Reply with quote
championferret wrote:
Wow. I have never, ever heard anyone ever say the D.Gray-man anime was better than the manga before. The anime was fun to watch, but annoyed me greatly in places, and eventually I just gave up on it and stuck with the manga.
EDIT= And Naruto VS Luffy? Puh-leeze. Luffy could win without even trying.

Only if you have never watched Naruto.
DuelLadyS

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2008 9:36 am Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:
ikillchicken wrote:

Spike Spiegel (Cowboy Bebop) vs Vash the Stampede (Trigun)

I could just see Spike trying to get that huge $$ reward for catching Vash the Stampede, if only to get Bell Peppers and Beef. Now, Vash could easily annihilate Spike. However, as Vash is a pacifist, he would probably keep dodging Spike's bullets until the latter ran out, then dodge Spike's kicks until Spike was lying on the floor gasping for breath. Vash wins by default. Therefore, any sort of fight between the two is impossible, since Vash never needs to actually attack Spike.

Actually, we already know how this one turns out:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ccw3bimIm_M
It's been awhile since I watched that one...
doctordoom85

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2008 10:01 am Reply with quote
Naruto vs. Luffy (where they're at currently in the manga) would result in spoiler[Luffy wiping the floor with Naruto. Let's face it, Luffy uses his Gears freely, whereas Naruto is avoiding at all costs using the Nine-Tailed Fox's power. Maybe when Naruto masters the sage arts, he'll stand a chance. However, OPverse > Narutoverse in terms of sheer power. There are tons of OP characters that are practically at "Saiyan Saga" DBZ level. In the Narutoverse, you have the Nine-Tailed Fox (could wipe out mountains), and..........that's about it. Unless you count Deidara, but he had to kill himself in order to use that kind of destructive power.]

Eva 01 attempts to eat Gurren Lagann. Gurren Lagann activates its "drills popping out of everywhere" move. Eva 01 screams in pain. Gendo begins asking if Simon is 14 years old. Hilarity ensues. Very Happy
braves

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2008 10:29 am Reply with quote
ikillchicken wrote:

Or in the realm of real people:
Mamoru Oshii vs Hayao Miyazaki

Oshii, of course. He would bore* Miyazaki out of his mind. Very Happy

The most repeated and played out match I've seen online is Goku vs. Superman. I mean, could you have a little more creativity?

* I mean "bore" as in "boring" or "bored". Not digging a hole. Though, I'm not sure if it's spelled right.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Mr. Toto

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2008 10:35 am Reply with quote
Whoa, whoa, whoa. D.Gray-man's anime being better than the manga? Can't say I agree. Story-wise, TMS has done a terrific job. But aesthetically, not so much. Hoshino Katsura's style is pretty wild, and I love it. But a lot of that isn't adapted into the show, unfortunately. It just looks really different. Also, the color palette is much too dull.
rebii

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2008 10:45 am Reply with quote
I presently own 8 complete series, and several movies on dvd. I realize compared to some collections, this is little. However, I would not own even one if it were not for fansubs.

After I've seen a series I like, fansubbed, I then purchase it, according to my budget and if the complete series is out. I'm glad I waited on Black Lagoon, as the series never completed.

Secondly, I believe most of those who support fansubs rather than buying, are in a demographic that does not have readily available cash or credit cards. I believe as the years pass, they will want the dvd features, surround sound etc., and become new customers.

There are two things dvd companies ought to do as a standard. The first is put both dub and sub versions in surround, at least 5.1. The second is don't dub sub. I was all ready to put my hard earned dollars out for Blood + when I learned it was a dub sub. All foreign films I purchase are available in original language. Subtitles offer the opportunity for a superior translation that is not bounded by lip flaps.

I will continue to purchase anime, I just won't buy a pig in a poke.
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2008 11:50 am Reply with quote
Zac wrote:
............Predicting that if fansubs don't stop or change radically that the entire industry would be completely kaput inside 2-5 years is, to me, excessive and sounds like an overreaction. If the writing on the wall were really that stark, things would be in much worse condition now than they are.
I hope you don't mind, but I've taken the liberty of saving this humble pie, you so caringly baked, in the deep freezer for later. Wink

Quote:
.....loaded up with extra features starring Pixar honcho and chief Miyazaki ass-kisser , John Lasseter.
I'll chalk that rather harsh one up to your headache, and the pain killers. Wink
TheTheory

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2008 11:52 am Reply with quote
rebii wrote:
The second is don't dub sub. I was all ready to put my hard earned dollars out for Blood + when I learned it was a dub sub. All foreign films I purchase are available in original language. Subtitles offer the opportunity for a superior translation that is not bounded by lip flaps.

I basically agree with this... I don't know for sure if any of my anime is "dub sub", although VIZ's Naruto Uncut boxsets walk the fine line if they aren't. Most of the time "dattebayo" isn't translated, but then there will be the occasional episode where "Believe it!" appears at the end of the sentence and it always makes me gag a little bit.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
dangerwhat

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2008 12:01 pm Reply with quote
ok >.> not touching that question.

Anyway, the industry isn't going to die, its just restructuring, geez. Yeah, so maybe the guy who makes dubs isn't able to make his mortgage payment anymore but if thats the way the industry is going, thats the way it is going. Dubs are obscenely expensive to produce, after all. Its "rough" right now but given some time things will level out again and be back to normal.

That bunny was cute but uh....five minutes? xD

Feel better!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
Dahling

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2008 12:08 pm Reply with quote
Normally with the Answerfan questions I'm content to sit around til next week and see what happens, but this time I'm just shocked that nobody bothered to say anything about Ouran!

It's an AMAZING anime series, but the manga just isn't the same. It suffers from some poorly drawn art and without the colors it's just not the same! Plus, who could forget the first episode and the hilarious use of that arrow?

When I first heard this question Ouran immediately popped into my head, and I thought 'Of course someone will put that! It's obvious!' but noooo.... They pick other stuff! >.>

Anyways, just had to put my opinion out there. ^-^ And also, I hope you guys'll be nice, I just made my account yesterday.
Greed1914

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2008 12:08 pm Reply with quote
arbitrary wrote:
penguintruth wrote:
On the subject of fansubs, there is a large contingency of fans who want the American market for anime to fail. They want anime fandom to revert entirely back to fansubs, which they say are more "pure", as they are done by fans, and not the big, evil corporations that have the gall to trying marketing anime to a wider audience. These "fans", the image board types, the ones that refuse to do anything to support an industry that not only made anime easier for them to obtain, but bent over backwards to do so, are the most frustrating part of the modern anime fandom.

I hate people like that because then I am shuffled into that category because I watch fansubbs. And I spend 2-300 dollars a month on anime related products. Anime books is my second home and Rightstuff has me on their subscriber list.

I'm pretty sure you missed what Penguintruth was saying. The original post was about a "large contingency." At no point did Penguin say that all who watch fansubs are this way.

Also, I can answer as to where that first question for this week came from. It was asked at Anime Iowa and answered by Chris Ayers. At some point I believe Greg Ayers also said something similar. I'm not sure how much of it is a reaction to current shake-ups but 5 years is a long time, and continued dropping sales might be more of a problem than some might think. Yeah sure Funimation has a nice list of titles to use, but look at what had to happen for them to get them. Even if the sky really isn't really falling, maybe taking that attitude will prompt people that never buy to actually make some purchases.
Dahling

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2008 12:11 pm Reply with quote
I forgot to add this in the Ouran post....

The bunny = fantastic. I watched the whole thing.

Luffy would beat Naruto hands down! That's a no-brainer. I dunno about the other two though, I'm just not that in touch with otaku culture. ._.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 3 of 6