Forum - View topic
NEWS: Article 'Ghost in the Shell 2' Competes for Cannes Honors


Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
Mohawk52



Joined: 16 Oct 2003
Posts: 7374
Location: England, UK

PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2004 3:15 pm Reply with quote
WOO! HOO! This is great news I hope it goes all the way. Then those "knobby tw@s" who say "animation shouldn't be here" can feast on humble pie. Yes! Very Happy
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Zac
ANN Executive Editor


Joined: 05 Jan 2002
Posts: 7047
Location: Snake Mountain Cocktail Lounge

PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2004 3:39 pm Reply with quote
As much as I'd like to say that if there's anywhere 'Innocence' can succeed it's at the ultra-elitist Cannes, that simply isn't true. Those people are prejudiced against animation for the most part; if it were live-action, they'd be tripping all over themselves to lavish it with praise. Since it's animated, though, I just can't see it winning much of anything.

Having seen the film, I can say that it's very complicated and the article's comments about it being inaccessable to a broad audience is most definitely true.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message My Anime
Mohawk52



Joined: 16 Oct 2003
Posts: 7374
Location: England, UK

PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2004 4:08 pm Reply with quote
Zac wrote:
As much as I'd like to say that if there's anywhere 'Innocence' can succeed it's at the ultra-elitist Cannes, that simply isn't true. Those people are prejudiced against animation for the most part; if it were live-action, they'd be tripping all over themselves to lavish it with praise. Since it's animated, though, I just can't see it winning much of anything.

Having seen the film, I can say that it's very complicated and the article's comments about it being inaccessable to a broad audience is most definitely true.
You may be right Zac, but there's no harm in rooting for it anyway. Just the fact that it, or any anime for that matter, is there at all is a notch in it's handle already. Who knows maybe some might say "This is like The Matrix" not knowing the truth. only to be gently surprised that it in fact is the other way round. Wink
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
BrianRuh



Joined: 17 Dec 2003
Posts: 155
Location: Austin, TX, USA

PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2004 4:28 pm Reply with quote
Just a bit of a nitpick: The ANN entry says that the showing of "Innocence" is "the first time that anime had been screened at the festival" although the Reuters article to which it refers just states that "'Ghost in the Shell 2' is the first Japanese animation film to compete for the Palme d'Or best film award."

Anime has been shown at Cannes before -- a recent ANN article* states that in 2003, the "Directors' Fortnight Screened Daft Punk's Interstella 5555 and the international premiere of Nasu-The Summer of Andalsia."

Oshii's anime has even been shown at Cannes before -- namely "Angel's Egg," which, according to Carl Gustav Horn's filmography of Oshii in the book "Anime Interviews," was "entered at Cannes under the title 'L'Oeuf de l'Ange.'"

However, "Innocence" is the first anime film to be screened in competition at Cannes, which is still big news.

* animenewsnetwork.com/article.php?id=4915
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Berserker77



Joined: 18 May 2004
Posts: 9
Location: Santa Rosa, CA

PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2004 8:24 pm Reply with quote
Mohawk52 wrote:
Just the fact that it, or any anime for that matter, is there at all is a notch in it's handle already. Who knows maybe some might say "This is like The Matrix" not knowing the truth. only to be gently surprised that it in fact is the other way round. Wink


The article even makes it out like the cityscapes of Innocence are somewhat derivitive of Blade Runner and The Matrix; when, as Mohawk stated, it is the exact opposite--The Matrix was influenced by the first Ghost in the Shell.

I can see the influence of Blade Runner, which is great film, but I find it odd how the article states that the sequel sought inspiration from a movie, in which its own predecessor had inspired. I'm not knocking the Matrix, at least not too hard Wink. I do think, however, that Ghost in the Shell has had a much greater influence on the Matrix Trilogy, than it will prove to have on Innocence.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address My Anime
JETBLACK87



Joined: 14 Apr 2002
Posts: 1073

PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2004 8:39 pm Reply with quote
Since where nitpicking...

Quote:
his first directorial effort in nine years.


He directed Avalon in 2001.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address My Anime
Zac
ANN Executive Editor


Joined: 05 Jan 2002
Posts: 7047
Location: Snake Mountain Cocktail Lounge

PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2004 9:03 pm Reply with quote
Berserker77 wrote:

I can see the influence of Blade Runner, which is great film, but I find it odd how the article states that the sequel sought inspiration from a movie, in which its own predecessor had inspired. I'm not knocking the Matrix, at least not too hard Wink. I do think, however, that Ghost in the Shell has had a much greater influence on the Matrix Trilogy, than it will prove to have on Innocence.


Aside from both films being sci-fi epics set in dystopian futures, I'd be hard-pressed to find any direct similarities between any of the Matrix films and Innocence. I didn't notice any visual or thematic similarities between the two.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message My Anime
GATSU



Joined: 03 Jan 2002
Posts: 12735

PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2004 9:13 pm Reply with quote
Brian: Don't forget Nasu.

Zac: Motoko fights like Trinity, and moves like Priss. Anyway,
from what I've been gathering from articles on screenings, the
judges don't seem biased against animation as a whole. (Tarantino-yes I'm actually praising him for once-has helped to insure that they give all the films a chance.) They just seem biased against 2-d films which don't feature farting ogres.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address
Tempest
ANN Publisher & CEO


Joined: 29 Dec 2001
Posts: 8569
Location: Do not message me for support.

PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2004 9:47 pm Reply with quote
BrianRuh wrote:
Anime has been shown at Cannes before -- a recent ANN article* states that in 2003, the "Directors' Fortnight Screened Daft Punk's Interstella 5555 and the international premiere of Nasu-The Summer of Andalsia."


Directors fortnight is not Cannes. I was aware of those movies and specificly discoutned them when I wrote the article.

Quote:

Oshii's anime has even been shown at Cannes before -- namely "Angel's Egg," which, according to Carl Gustav Horn's filmography of Oshii in the book "Anime Interviews," was "entered at Cannes under the title 'L'Oeuf de l'Ange.'"


I'll double check that, if that's the case I'll issue a correction.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail My Anime My Manga
BrianRuh



Joined: 17 Dec 2003
Posts: 155
Location: Austin, TX, USA

PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2004 10:57 pm Reply with quote
Tempest wrote:
Directors fortnight is not Cannes. I was aware of those movies and specificly discoutned them when I wrote the article.
Gotcha. However, the older article to which I was referring (about the Directors' Fortnight) was titled "More Anime at Cannes," leading me to think that you were using "Cannes" as a catchall term for all films shown in the city of Cannes around the time of the film fest. Sorry 'bout the confusion.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
GATSU



Joined: 03 Jan 2002
Posts: 12735

PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2004 12:15 am Reply with quote
If I'm not mistaken, anime at Cannes goes back at least to Cagliostro.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address
Zac
ANN Executive Editor


Joined: 05 Jan 2002
Posts: 7047
Location: Snake Mountain Cocktail Lounge

PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2004 12:24 am Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
Brian: Don't forget Nasu.

Zac: Motoko fights like Trinity, and moves like Priss. Anyway,
from what I've been gathering from articles on screenings, the
judges don't seem biased against animation as a whole. (Tarantino-yes I'm actually praising him for once-has helped to insure that they give all the films a chance.) They just seem biased against 2-d films which don't feature farting ogres.


spoiler[Motoko doesn't show up until the last 20 minutes of the film and then is simply a fragment of her net personality downloaded into a cyberdoll which fights alongside Batou. She moves like a marionette, not like Priss, and doesn't look like Trinity, since she doesn't even resemble Motoko.]

So yeah. Wrong.

Again.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message My Anime
jfrog



Joined: 21 May 2004
Posts: 925
Location: Seattle

PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2004 1:19 am Reply with quote
Zac wrote:
As much as I'd like to say that if there's anywhere 'Innocence' can succeed it's at the ultra-elitist Cannes, that simply isn't true. Those people are prejudiced against animation for the most part; if it were live-action, they'd be tripping all over themselves to lavish it with praise. Since it's animated, though, I just can't see it winning much of anything.

Having seen the film, I can say that it's very complicated and the article's comments about it being inaccessable to a broad audience is most definitely true.


Actually, Cannes has regonized animation in the past. The wonderful 1973 French film Fantastic Planet was awarded the Grand Prix, and given some of the competition this year (Shrek II? Remakes of 50's comedies? Michael Moore "documentaries"?), I'd say that Innocence has a pretty good chance.


Last edited by jfrog on Sun May 23, 2004 3:29 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Tondog38



Joined: 13 Jan 2003
Posts: 89

PostPosted: Sat May 22, 2004 8:14 pm Reply with quote
It's official. Michael Moore's new crockumentary, Farenheit 9/11, is the winner of the Palme d'Or award for best film. Innocence won no awards at the Cannes competition.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message My Anime My Manga
Mr Mania



Joined: 10 Feb 2003
Posts: 581
Location: UK

PostPosted: Sat May 22, 2004 10:33 pm Reply with quote
I was fairly surprised Moore won it. I thought it would be one of the two Asian movies (not GITS) as Tarantino was the Head of the panel this year and as he has a fondness for Asian cinema I thought he might have swayed the board that way. Then again those within the film industry are known to be liberal.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

 


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group