• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
misc. questions and error reports

Goto page Previous  

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Encyclopedia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dan42
Chief Encyclopedist

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2010 6:57 pm Reply with quote
Uh, even so it's not sane. It's supposed to be a KANJI name, not KATAKANA. We're not going to start accepting katakana spellings for every non-Japanese name in the Encyclopedia.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Devil Doll

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2010 9:23 pm Reply with quote
But Hiragana are still accepted?
(We had the same issue of reasonably labeling these fields in another anime database...)
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2010 10:49 pm Reply with quote
Devil Doll wrote:
But Hiragana are still accepted?
(We had the same issue of reasonably labeling these fields in another anime database...)

That's not the point. Some Japanese have their names (real or pseudo) in full hiragana/katakana. What Dan was talking was about transliterating every non-Japanese name into katakana, which is discouraged.

Like I said in the previous post, the reason I left Ledford's katakana name untouched (looks like Dan has removed it) was because this transliteration might have appeared on Japanese credit rolls, so if someone simply copy'n'paste it while adding staff credits the system could turn ジョン・レッドフォード into "John Ledford" automatically*, instead of having to guess who "Jon Reddofoodo" is.

*However the current system wouldn't be able to recognize ジョン・レッドフォード correctly; it could only recognize レッドフォードジョン but that's not how his name is written in katakana.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Devil Doll

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2010 11:17 pm Reply with quote
dormcat wrote:
What Dan was talking was about transliterating every non-Japanese name into katakana
Well, not when he wrote
Dan42 wrote:
It's supposed to be a KANJI name, not KATAKANA.
I do understand the point of your reasoning (which is "don't enter a Kanji name when it won't be useful for anyone").
It's just that citing the name of the kanji field doesn't lead anywhere in this discussion (Japanese company names frequently contain Katakana and contributing is most helpful since it is automatically translated like a kanji name for a person but their name field is still labeled "Kanji name" due to the lack of a better, more self-explaining name).

So whatever rule were to be defined it should explain in which situations Katakana are useful (such as in company names) and in which situations they are not (such as in... what exactly? Nationality of a person isn't part of the ANN data format so Dan42's software can't easily check a condition of this type when processing the Kanji name contribution form).
The German anime database I used to contribute to in parallel to ANN does have such a nationality field that allows features like filtering persons by nationality or making the name display order depend on nationality.
doc-watson42
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2010 11:38 pm Reply with quote
The date display for chapter serialization (e.g., for Stringendo) does not display properly for yyyy-mm only entries—it is rendered as an English title with the leading parenthesis concealed (but not deleted). I was forced to use yyyy-mm-00, since the chapters in question were serialized in Comic Mujin, a monthly magazine.
Dan42
Chief Encyclopedist

PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2010 4:32 am Reply with quote
Devil Doll wrote:
It's just that citing the name of the kanji field doesn't lead anywhere in this discussion (Japanese company names frequently contain Katakana and contributing is most helpful since it is automatically translated like a kanji name for a person but their name field is still labeled "Kanji name" due to the lack of a better, more self-explaining name).

So whatever rule were to be defined it should explain in which situations Katakana are useful (such as in company names) and in which situations they are not.

As you noted yourself, the "Kanji name" description is simply a semantic matter due to the lack of a better name. And I'm not going to get into trivial semantic convolutions over this. dormcat correctly guessed what I meant (and admit it, you did too), because it's the obvious common sense interpretation. IMHO there's no urgent need to clarify the exact meaning of "kanji name" if common sense suffices, but if you happen to have a nice clear explanation that I can put on the kanji name submission page, then by all means post it here.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Dan42
Chief Encyclopedist

PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2010 4:39 am Reply with quote
doc-watson42 wrote:
The date display for chapter serialization (e.g., for Stringendo) does not display properly for yyyy-mm only entries—it is rendered as an English title with the leading parenthesis concealed (but not deleted). I was forced to use yyyy-mm-00, since the chapters in question were serialized in Comic Mujin, a monthly magazine.

That's because partial dates are currently not accepted, because the Chapter title format is based on the Episode title format, and it didn't make sense to have partial dates for episodes, although it does for chapters. I'll fix that. The disappearing parenthesis is a funny side-bug.

BTW in the future please post separate issues as separate topics. It's terribly difficult to track all the issues when they're jumbled together in one big generic thread.
Devil Doll

PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2010 5:54 pm Reply with quote
Please delete the two cast credits for Yoshikazu SATO.

As http://www.linebarrels.jp/cast.html and the source comment given for the Ghost Hound credit (mentioning the kanji name) show, these credits belong to 佐藤 美一 = さとう びいち = Biichi SATOU (Wikipedia page referencing 鉄のラインバレル and 神霊狩).

I added the correct credits but can't delete the wrong ones (which are the only cast entries for this staff-only person, making him look like a potential split request).
Devil Doll

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2010 8:35 am Reply with quote
The company Tag Heuer has been founded in 1860 (Wikipedia).

Entering "1860" or "1860-01" as foundation date for this company is rejected with the error message
Quote:
Information does not follow the correct format
Format: "yyyy" OR "yyyy-mm" OR "yyyy-mm-dd"
Does the contribution software perform some plausibility check on the date value that happens to forbid this particular contribution?
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2010 2:06 pm Reply with quote
Devil Doll wrote:
Does the contribution software perform some plausibility check on the date value that happens to forbid this particular contribution?

animenewsnetwork.com/bbs/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=90911#90911
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
braves

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2010 6:33 pm Reply with quote
As noted before, Nobutaka Ito should actually be spelled "Nobutake". Source, again.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Devil Doll

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2010 4:04 am Reply with quote
braves wrote:
As noted before, Nobutaka Ito should actually be spelled "Nobutake". Source, again.
It is interesting to see the hiragana のぶたけ = Nobutake given explicitly on this website as his given name "伸高" has exactly one valid reading in EDICT which is "[のぶたか] Nobutaka (g)"; why wouldn't he use 伸竹, 伸武, or 伸赳 (the three "Nobutake" options with the same "Nobu" kanji)?
Then again, the Anime Creators Encyclopedia has "【伊東 伸高】 いとう のぶたけ POSITION:絵コンテ、演出、作画監督、作画"...

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

We have some weird situation that I would like to ask about the history first before actually doing something.

There's a person Aiko MIMORI (no kanji) whose only cast credit is for the Early Reins OVA, an anime where ANN has only information from "English Credits".
Now the Wikipedia page for the anime says that this role is performed by 三森 愛子. When you click on the link on this name in the Wikipedia page you get auto-redirected to the page of 柳原愛子 (歌手) = やなぎはら あいこ = YANAGIHARA Aiko (singer) where you can read that her stage name is 三森愛子(みつもり あいこ) = MITSUMORI Aiko. So the Aiko MIMORI page at ANN is a misreading.

What's confusing me is that ANN actually has a person named Aiko MITSUMORI but without any credits... which usually indicates that this person has been stripped of her credits. Any idea what's going on here?
Devil Doll

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2010 4:49 pm Reply with quote
Masato HAGIWARA (萩原 聖人) is credited for 8 cast roles (with website and picture) but also for 2 animation tasks.

What appeared to be a split request turned out to be two simple assignment errors of credits that should have been gone to Masahito HAGIWARA (萩原 正人) whose given name can also be read as "Masato".

Can someone please hide the two wrong animation credits for Masato (who both have livedoor wiki sources, making the wrong assignment even less understandable)?

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Kazuki ISHII (石井一規) looks like a split request with
1 staff credit for Finish Animation and
1 cast for Fullmetal Panic 2nd Raid (source: "from the dvd").
But the cast credit actually belongs to 石井 一貴 = Kazutaka ISHII whose given name can also be read as "Kazuki".

Can someone please hide this wrong cast credit?
Dan42
Chief Encyclopedist

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2010 9:37 pm Reply with quote
Devil Doll wrote:
We have some weird situation that I would like to ask about the history first before actually doing something.

There's a person Aiko MIMORI (no kanji) whose only cast credit is for the Early Reins OVA, an anime where ANN has only information from "English Credits".
Now the Wikipedia page for the anime says that this role is performed by 三森 愛子. When you click on the link on this name in the Wikipedia page you get auto-redirected to the page of 柳原愛子 (歌手) = やなぎはら あいこ = YANAGIHARA Aiko (singer) where you can read that her stage name is 三森愛子(みつもり あいこ) = MITSUMORI Aiko. So the Aiko MIMORI page at ANN is a misreading.

What's confusing me is that ANN actually has a person named Aiko MITSUMORI but without any credits... which usually indicates that this person has been stripped of her credits. Any idea what's going on here?

"Aiko Mimori as Laura" was submitted on 2006-01-23 and "Aiko Mitsumori as Lola" was removed 2 days later. No indication why, but I suspect it was due to an error report. I'm going to assume ja.wikipedia has the correct pronunciation and revert the previous "fix".
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Encyclopedia All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  
Page 15 of 15