• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Nisemonogatari (with index).

Goto page   Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dtm42

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2012 11:35 pm Reply with quote
Nisemonogatari

Obey rules, be nice, yadda yadda yadda.

--------------------

Index:

If you're wondering about the index, I've already set it up for the various episodes. All it needs is the links as the episodes come out and they're golden. Well, orange. So please do not complain about its unfinished look.

Bakemonogatari Discussion Thread

Nisemonogatari Episode #01

Episode #02

Episode #03

Episode #04

Episode #05

Episode #06

Episode #07

Episode #08

Episode #09

Episode #10

Episode #11

--------------------

Plot Summary (as taken from ANN):

In Bakemonogatari, the story centers on Koyomi Araragi, a third year high school student who has recently survived a vampire attack, and finds himself mixed up with all kinds of apparitions: gods, ghosts, myths, and spirits. However, in Nisemonogatari, we pick up right where we left off and follow Koyomi as the psychological twists delve deeper and deeper…

Crunchyroll is streaming this [link to the page], and even people in Australasia can watch it. The videos can be viewed immediately by premium members, with free users able to watch on a one-week delay from first broadcast.

Let the discussion begin.

Last edited by dtm42 on Mon Mar 19, 2012 1:49 am; edited 12 times in total
dtm42

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2012 11:36 pm Reply with quote
I'll start.

Episode One

So the first episode most certainly did NOT pick up right from where we left off. Hitagi had Koyomi handcuffed and was delighting in teasing him during a six-minute-long S&M scene. Ostensibly it was about protecting him, I assume from his sister Karen since bee poison was mentioned and the title of this arc is Karen Bee. We also got a brief mention of a phoenix later in the episode, so that's of course hinting at things to come.

But despite this, after the OP [link] the show abandons this storyline for the rest of the episode and instead shows off Nisio Isin's famous tendencies for long-winded wordplay. Yes, like its predecessor, Nisemonogatari is all about the dialogue. We got more lines from Tsukihi in this episode than we did in the entire fifteen episodes of Bakemonogatari, so we finally got a proper introduction. Karen's still missing but seems to be getting involved in some "trouble", although Tsukihi is insistent that her sister is only involving herself in trouble, and is not in trouble herself. Koyomi's not convinced, and neither am I.

The rest of the episode was spent with Mayoi, whom I have to say is a monstrously strong debater for her age. She could be a speechwriter for a politician with her ability to twist the meaning of sentences by adding the word 'courage'. Also, even though I knew Koyomi would assault her, seeing her animal-like reaction was pretty hilarious. Yes, I shouldn't laugh when a high-school boy assaults a prepubescent girl, but it was just so funny. As was Koyomi's reason for keeping up with the handstand longer than Mayoi wanted.

I'd love to have heard more about Hanekawa, but all we know is she's apparently tutoring him, which I find interesting. Hitagi came off so Yandere earlier in the episode (albeit in a deliberate way) that I'm a little surprised she's willing to trust Koyomi that much. We have learnt that Meme has gone, however no word on Shinobu as of yet. She's going to be a big character (literally) in the movie Kizumonogatari which is due out sometime this year, so I wonder what role she'll play here.

As usual the episode went by very fast, with the dialogue never seeming to drag things out longer than you'd think it would. I found the humour to be very funny, especially the breaking of the fourth wall. (Despite what was said, there was no dancing in the ED. In fact, there wasn't even an ED to speak of.) As a reintroduction of the cast it kind of fails, since we didn't even get through half, but I respect the show's leisurely pace. Bakemonogatari was also very relaxed with its pacing (remember episode two?), so I do trust that we will get through everything in time.

Finally, the visuals. Is it just me or is Shinbou (not to be confused with Shinobu) mellowing out a little with age? This episode seemed to be more complete than with Bakemonogatari's first episode (which was unfinished as heck), but it also wasn't as crazy and visually interesting. It seemed more normal (though still far more out there compared to your average show), and that's perfectly fine. But it is interesting to note, as the visuals were the other reason why Bakemonogatari was so popular. Perhaps he's been told to play it safer?

Yes, I realise I've been constantly comparing the two shows together, but what can I say? It is basically a given that Nisemonogatari will have to prove itself if it wants to get out from under Bakemonogatari's shadow.
GeminiDS85

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2012 2:04 am Reply with quote
It hath arrived, hurray!

Wait, isn’t it just a sham, a fake, a complete imitation!

The success of NisiOisin’s monogatari series has finally given birth to its newest anime progeny – the surrealist-looking, otaku-centric, effervescent Nisemonogatari.

Bakemonogatari is one of my beloved jewels of this medium, so my level of anticipation going into the first episode had already gone nuclear about three months ago. Shaft, per their ever-increasing effort to hoist otaku culture into the upper stratums of high art, loves to ooze their avant-garde, surrealist inspired essence while they frolic around in the diegetic playground. And all preliminary indicators seem to suggest that Nisemonogatari will again be another work overflowing with an amalgamation of Shaft’s affinity for high culture codes. Shaft’s predilection for forcing an unlikely intercourse between high culture codes and concepts that a mainstream audience would probably relegate to trudge beneath the dregs of low culture is how they are able to birth a chimerical offspring like Nisemonogatari. Shaft’s ability to seamlessly blend heterogeneous concepts like surrealist-looking art and a middle-school-aged character gushing phrases like “I’ve responded to consumer demand, and am wearing kiddy panties!,” is one of the reasons a show like Nisemonogatari can differentiate itself from the majority of anime produced today. On one level, this type of unification is an affront to the perceived classical definition of high art, yet, on another level, a show like Nisemonogatari is a reminder of the postmodern blurring of the distinction between high and low cultural products.

With all that said, one of the foreseeable difficulties I see Nisemonogatari having to overcome is not relying too much on the same jokes utilized in Bakemonogatari. Yes, products manufactured in the ambit of otaku culture have a propensity to heavily rely on a multitude of simulacra with popular database elements, so I am by no means imagining a full departure from what made Bakemonogatari so popular. However, my optimism, at this moment, is that Nisemonogatari will twist and bend the kitsch elements to a point that they radiate an “aura of uniqueness” that is not so easily decipherable at first glance.

Alright, that’s enough critical analysis for one post.

Wasn’t that hysterical when Hachikuji’s vagina magically manifested a cream pie bombardment of Araragi’s face?
Laughing Laughing Laughing

Anyways, that was a great first episode, and I can’t wait for more.
Very Happy

Last thing: Just in case anyone is curious, this is the definition of nisemono from the denshi jisho: 偽物 -- spurious article; forgery; counterfeit; imitation; sham.

Last edited by GeminiDS85 on Tue Jan 10, 2012 12:43 am; edited 3 times in total
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2012 4:19 am Reply with quote
First episode was slow in some respects, but its purpose was deffinetly to get us back into the groove of the series, and show us several characters. Probably the most important being his youngest sister (Tsukihi), I don't remember her really having much in Bakemono except for standard "wake up" bits, she is going to be the focus in one of the arcs.

On the subject of the other sister (Karen), again mostly heard him talking to someone else about her like in the Mayoi ark. Though the first ark is Karen's being called "Karen Bee", who seems to possibly be the reason Senjougahara has Koyomi as he was, she kept bringing the word bee up.

Oh and the 4th wall breaking got me by surprise, there wasn't any dancing was there?
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2012 6:33 am Reply with quote
Watching Nisemonogatari was a bittersweet experience for me. Sweet, in that I am once again immersed in the wonderful ____monogatari Universe but bitter in that it reminded me how much I ache - ache, I tell you! - for an R1 Bakemonogatari release. Yes, I would even buy one of Aniplex's butt-raping $7-billion dollar versions.

Senjougahara, I know you are only an anime and light novel character but will you marry me? I understand such things are possible in Japan. I yearn to be loved so intensely by a psychotic female that she would embrace me even if I was covered in feces.

dtm42, I suspect the reason you find Koyomi's molestation of Mayoi humorous as opposed to creepy is that it seems obvious that Koyomi's intent is simply to tease her as opposed to being genuinely lascivious and it never works out well for him in any case.

As has been pointed out, the visual pyrotechnics that characterized Bakemonogatari were not on display in this first episode, but I did appreciate not being bombarded with "scene goes here" place-holders.
Spastic Minnow
Bargain Hunter
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2012 11:45 am Reply with quote
hmmmm, has the term Sadodere been coined yet? Hitagi certainly fits the bill and it's more appropriate than Tsundere or Yandere.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
The King of Harts

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2012 11:57 am Reply with quote
Oh, Senjougahara, I missed you so, so much.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Dorcas_Aurelia

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2012 8:43 pm Reply with quote
Spastic Minnow wrote:
hmmmm, has the term Sadodere been coined yet?

It took me a second to realize where the "sado" part came from. I personally don't think we need to expand the varieties of dere further for such specific niches.
Nosferatu21

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2012 8:51 pm Reply with quote
I warn you now, there is 0% chance that I will not love every second of this show. I laughed from the moment Koyomi saw Hachikuji and got that joyous expression on his face, all the way through him spoiler[talking about how much he didn't like her and would just ignore her while he was also stretching and preparing to molest/harass the living hell out of her Very Happy Very Happy ] I also agree with DTM's sentiments that it was extremely funny even though it was pretty much Koyomi molesting her.

Though I fear I may soon fall into a deep depression because I can't purchase a luscious R1 release of Bakemonogatari. I've got a blank check at the ready to send to whatever company comes to their sense and licenses that baby.

Oh Senjougahara you evil, treacherous seductress. Why must you torture me so?
dtm42

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2012 9:10 pm Reply with quote
Nosferatu21 wrote:
Oh Senjougahara you evil, treacherous seductress. Why must you torture me so?

Because she knows you want it, you perverted naughty boy.
HaruhiToy

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2012 9:27 pm Reply with quote
I just fell into this series because CR started running it. I never knew about the prequel. There's no R1 release?

The art is fantastic. I spent some time stopping the video to get a good look at the sets and the background cameos. The dialog is sharp, witty, and perverted at need. spoiler["Stop Squirming It Makes It Hard To Take Off Your Panties" directed at a elementary school girl no less. He's just teasing her but still.] When she scampers up the phone pole and hisses like a cat I couldn't stop LOL.

Dang I want this in BD.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2012 9:40 pm Reply with quote
HaruhiToy wrote:
I just fell into this series because CR started running it. I never knew about the prequel. There's no R1 release?

Wait so you have not seen Bakemonogatari? Chances are you will not understand a lot of things, chiefly relationship shared with Hitagi and Koyomi, especially with the personality that Hitagi has. And that Mayoi is not exactly a normal girl, first I saw him do what he did I was a bit shocked, now I am pretty immune to it.
dtm42

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2012 9:46 pm Reply with quote
HaruhiToy wrote:

Bakemonogatari is not a prequel of Nisemonogatari; this is its sequel.

And no, there's been no R1 release. No release anywhere I'm afraid, except for Japan (of course), Taiwan and South Korea.

My hypothesis for this omission is that the license fees would be far too high for any distributor. Bakemonogatari was a phenomenon. It received huge interest from fans. More pertinently, it remains the third-highest-selling Anime ever on a per-volume basis, beaten by Neon Genesis Evangelion and narrowly edged out by Mobile Suit Gundam (which is only in second spot because it was released twice, the cheat).

So yeah, the production committee was probably holding out for an arm and a leg from each employee of the licensor's company. Of course, now three years has gone by and it would be harder to market Bakemonogatari; the fan reaction has inevitably died down. Of course, with Nisemonogatari and Kizumonogatari both being made this year, fan reaction has picked up again and now's a good time for a company to announce the license.

The other problem is that Bakemonogatari would be almost impossible to dub. It, like most of the -gatari stories from Nisio Isin, relies heavily on Japanese wordplay, which would be ridiculously hard to translate over. Which of course is fine, just release it sub-only. That's what NIS did with their release of Katanagatari, which neatly avoided the issue.
Spastic Minnow
Bargain Hunter
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2012 10:21 pm Reply with quote
Nosferatu21 wrote:
I laughed from the moment Koyomi saw Hachikuji and got that joyous expression on his face, all the way through him spoiler[talking about how much he didn't like her and would just ignore her while he was also stretching and preparing to molest/harass the living hell out of her Very Happy Very Happy ] I also agree with DTM's sentiments that it was extremely funny even though it was pretty much Koyomi molesting her.

Some Bakemonoatari spoilers follow:

I just did a Bakemonogatari rewatch and it reminded me of some thoughts I've had about Mayoi.
Koyomi's reactions to her have always been weird, the first time he met her he basically beat the crap out of her and realized it was a crazy thing to do. It really seems there's something that causes him what he does to her. It's not as if she's a normal "elementary school girl." She is an oddity, a ghost and apparently not just a lost snail/cow, since she's still around and because she wandered around lost for 10 years it can be argued that she is technically older than Koyomi (typical anime faux-lolicon logic- Mayoi and Shinobu aren't really lolis Wink ). In any case, I've always figured something wierd is going on between the two of them that doesn't happen with others. there's plenty still unexplaned about her.

There's also an interesting and slightly confusing part in episode 11 where he apparentlymomentarily toys with the idea of teasing or molesting Nadeko and realizes immediately it doesn't feel right to do that to her.
Westlo

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2012 2:35 am Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:
My hypothesis for this omission is that the license fees would be far too high for any distributor. Bakemonogatari was a phenomenon. It received huge interest from fans. More pertinently, it remains the third-highest-selling Anime ever on a per-volume basis, beaten by Neon Genesis Evangelion and narrowly edged out by Mobile Suit Gundam (which is only in second spot because it was released twice, the cheat).

Actually if you count the recent Bluray Box Set sales (24k and counting with it being out of stock) than Bakemonogatari is back in the #2 spot.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page   Next
Page 1 of 16