• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Disappointment in Cowboy Bebop?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2012 9:09 am Reply with quote
NegativeGate wrote:
Nothing really I just usually see angry fans when these conversations happen all over the internet, just expressing my surprise at there apparent non-existence here and as a matter of course my lack of entertaining reading material concerning the things said non-entities say.

I suspect this is because the poster is being pretty cool about it. More often than not, when you see a thread like this it's basically just a chance for the OP to rant about how much he hates the show in question and/or bash its fans. However, this guy is being very even handed and giving the show it's due credit. In fact, I'd say he's actually expressing genuine puzzlement about why he didn't like the show more. It's fairly tough to get mad about that.

Conversely...

Mesonoxian Eve wrote:
Dur hur. Old anime doesn't hold up anymore. People who like old shows are wrong. Blah blah blah.

This is precisely the kind of dumb, obnoxious crap you usually see in these threads and that inevitably gets people defensive.
EireformContinent

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2012 9:28 am Reply with quote
Quote:
I'm sure those who saw it back then thought it the greatest battle they ever witnessed but many of today's viewers wouldn't accept it as a form of entertainment outside of YouTube.

Feel free to take part in "oldies nights" that happen periodically in cinemas around the world. Remember that tickets usually go very quickly. The average age says that that's not the matter of nostalgia. Yes, people pay for old stuff and enjoy it (OFC live music can help it).

Back to the topic kennykillek you should expect that you won't be glad with hyped expectations. Because of that I see all Ghibli's movies as polished diamonds that never have a sparkle for me.

That happens, especially when you were looking for "depth" in any means. IMHO it's shadow of Venus that you can't see it while looking directly.
supercreep

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2012 11:16 am Reply with quote
Bebop is hands down not only my favorite anime, but it's also the one I've seen the most. I also imported some of the soundtracks from Japan, and I eventually plan to gather all of them. Obviously not everyone can feel the same way, but to me it's an example of an almost perfect anime that has good crossover appeal.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2012 2:20 pm Reply with quote
I think Cowboy Bebop is possibly the perfect anime.

We have an episodic premise, but there's a great underlying storyline, the characters are charming, charismatic, and colorful, the character design is excellent, as is the animation. The music is breathtaking. The action is palpable. The themes are presented fantastically, and you get a real "feel" for what the show is about overall.

The only possible problem I can see is maybe the main storyline doesn't get quite enough room to breathe, but I was fine with it. I guess somebody could get tired of how episodic it is, but the characters live episodic lives, from bounty to bounty.

Never has a show so enchanted me as this one. I watch it again every year and I haven't run into any better shows since first watching it.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Mesonoxian Eve

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2012 3:18 pm Reply with quote
jl07045 wrote:
Isn't that a bit foolish thing to do?

You ever put words in my mouth again like you did above, we're done talking. I purposely put NGE in there for a reason.

Quote:
You're missing a lot of experience, good or bad.

No, I'm not. I'm a realist in this situation. Consider this: if a negative review isn't an influence on expectation, then why the need for spoiler tags which are just a representation of the series?

A heavily opined series is about as effective as a spoiler. The spoiled scene isn't what's being ruined, but the story leading up to it.

Imagine how people would have reacted to The Sixth Sense if the poster said "Bruce Willis plays a ghost in this thrilling drama."

ikillchicken wrote:
This is precisely the kind of dumb, obnoxious crap you usually see in these threads and that inevitably gets people defensive.

I want someone I can have a discussion with who doesn't ignore context or treat every single word I post as a fact they feel they have to dispute at every opportunity. I want someone who can understand the generalization of information, forgoing the need to constantly correct it.

Since you can not quote my posts without applying the above guidelines, especially without the blatant ignorance and condescending attitude you deliver, please refrain from quoting my posts in the future.
Key

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2012 3:26 pm Reply with quote
ikillchicken wrote:
Conversely...

Mesonoxian Eve wrote:
Dur hur. Old anime doesn't hold up anymore. People who like old shows are wrong. Blah blah blah.

Overreact much, ikillchicken? Stop being an ass.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Kirkdawg
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2012 3:36 pm Reply with quote
ikillchicken wrote:

Even tho I may agree with you on some level, anyone could quote this and say the exact same thing and it would apply quite nicely to you. You're always abrasive in your disagreements and it's pretty annoying.
kennykillek

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2012 4:44 pm Reply with quote
Every time I ever post a thread on any forum ever, it always turns into a pissing match. Can we take a break to talk about the show? Maybe some of the things that us non lovers of Cowboy Bebop did love? I loved the lab sequence in Pierrot le Fou, thought the music was excellent and the whole thing was creepy and built tension to the conclusion of the sequence brilliantly. I loved the cathedral scene in Ballad of Fallen Angels, I felt for the first time in the show like it was building backstory and was demanding me to feel for Spike, and I did. Of course, I love the ending of Real Folk Blues, where Spike goes on a suicide mission after losing his reason to live in Julia, and of course... "Bang". But my favorite scene of the series was the ending of Speak Like a Child. Nothing else in the series was that devastating in my opinion, to see Faye before she became who she became, back when she was just an innocent little girl tore me up. Especially to think how dissapointed younger Faye would be in who she became.
jl07045

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2012 6:06 pm Reply with quote
Mesonoxian Eve wrote:

You ever put words in my mouth again like you did above, we're done talking. I purposely put NGE in there for a reason.

Actually I purposely disregarded it because NGE is no different from any other controversial work, anime or not. I don't see how your previous arguments would apply to NGE more than to Bebop or Akira. It being more discussed doesn't necessarily mean that there is more to discuss about it.

Quote:
Consider this: if a negative review isn't an influence on expectation, then why the need for spoiler tags which are just a representation of the series?

A heavily opined series is about as effective as a spoiler. The spoiled scene isn't what's being ruined, but the story leading up to it.

Well, reviews don't have spoiler tags and one goal of a review is exactly to let people decide whether they would be interested to see that work. Of course reviews and discussions either raise or lower expectations and that changes your viewing experience, but that largely depends on how much you allow yourself to be influenced by confirmation bias. I've watched quite a lot of works (Legend of the Galactic Heroes and Bakemonogatari comes to mind) just to see what all the fuss is about. I'm usually taken out of the experience a bit, but that also allows me to be more analytical about what I'm watching, and in the end my opinion is my own and not anyone else's.
simmeh

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2012 6:55 pm Reply with quote
I'll also toss my hat into the 'underwhelmed by Cowboy Bebop' ring.

There was definitely a big case of having my expectations put too high. Cowboy Bebop comes up in just about every conversation about people's favourite anime that I've seen. Heck, I'd bet that if you went to the top 10 topic stickied in this forum that you couldn't go a full page without Cowboy Bebop being mentioned as one of someone's favourites.

But even if it hadn't been overhyped, I don't think I would have liked the show. Simply put, I just didn't feel for any of the characters, and I found the whole thing incredibly boring. It actually felt like a chore to watch it, because I simply wasn't getting anything from it. I could really find no reason to watch the next episode other than to get it over with - and that's never a good sign.

So yeah. I've over-exaggerated before saying that Cowboy Bebop is the most disappointing thing I've ever watched, but I think that the hype combined with my utter disinterest in anything that went on in the series puts it at least somewhere close to the top of that list.
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2012 7:28 pm Reply with quote
Key wrote:

Classy as always Key.

I stand by my response. Instead of simply saying that he personally doesn't like Cowboy Bebop, instead he's got to go way further and pretty much throw the entirety of older anime and it's fans under the bus. It's "what they were limited to" in their day and "wouldn't raise any appreciation from fans today." Oh and fans who actually think this older stuff was great? Well they're just "stodgy stuck-in-a-rut fans of yesteryear" who need to "finally accept times have moved".

Yeah...there's nothing obnoxious or inflammatory about that. No reason at all this would get anyone defensive. Clearly I was way off base. Rolling Eyes

Kirkdawg wrote:
Even tho I may agree with you on some level, anyone could quote this and say the exact same thing and it would apply quite nicely to you.

You're damn right it does. I'm not going to sit here and be all polite and friendly if PJ is going to be obnoxious. I'm going to respond in kind.

Mesonoxian Eve wrote:
Wah wah wah. You're not allowed to quote my posts anymore.

Lol. No.
NegativeGate

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2012 9:45 pm Reply with quote
ikillchicken wrote:
Key wrote:

Classy as always Key.

I stand by my response. Instead of simply saying that he personally doesn't like Cowboy Bebop, instead he's got to go way further and pretty much throw the entirety of older anime and it's fans under the bus. It's "what they were limited to" in their day and "wouldn't raise any appreciation from fans today." Oh and fans who actually think this older stuff was great? Well they're just "stodgy stuck-in-a-rut fans of yesteryear" who need to "finally accept times have moved".

Yeah...there's nothing obnoxious or inflammatory about that. No reason at all this would get anyone defensive. Clearly I was way off base. Rolling Eyes

Kirkdawg wrote:
Even tho I may agree with you on some level, anyone could quote this and say the exact same thing and it would apply quite nicely to you.

You're damn right it does. I'm not going to sit here and be all polite and friendly if PJ is going to be obnoxious. I'm going to respond in kind.

Mesonoxian Eve wrote:
Wah wah wah. You're not allowed to quote my posts anymore.

Lol. No.

No offense ikillchicken but that is overreacting, looking at his whole post in context and knowing plenty of people who hate new things just because there new I can see his point. Sure it isn't necessarily true that people can't enjoy something from before their time, but at the same time some things are lost with age and their is certainly the allure of something being new and shiny. The stuck in a rut remark was just a half-joking jab at people who think because it's not the classic they grew up with then it isn't worth their time. Just as well these thing are only an opinion so there is no need to take personal offense. Besides he never explicitly said everyone who likes older material is one of those stuck in a rut. The term fans of yesteryear practically requires that they are no longer fans, if you still enjoy the medium on some level then the statement doesn't apply to you anyway.
Sebow

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2012 10:34 pm Reply with quote
To me Cowboy Bebop is to anime as the blues is to music:
Some hate it, some love it
Few know of its legacy, many agree on its impact
Some will be in a stage of life where they find it autobiographical
Some will be in a stage of life where they find it distant of emotions

But ignoring its place in the scheme of things will always be stupid and uninformed.

So even if you didn't like it, at least pat yourself on the shoulder that you decided to finally pick it up and watch it.
Kirkdawg
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2012 10:45 pm Reply with quote
Sebow wrote:

But ignoring its place in the scheme of things will always be stupid and uninformed.

So even if you didn't like it, at least pat yourself on the shoulder that you decided to finally pick it up and watch it.

This was well said.
NegativeGate

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2012 10:47 pm Reply with quote
Sebow wrote:

Do you still get to pat yourself on the back if you just woke up during adult swim while you were in high school?
also before this is misinterpreted as an insult by anyone, What is the difference between legacy and impact in this situation?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 3 of 6