• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Fall 2007 Anime Season Guide

Goto page   Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Steel Angel

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2007 6:36 pm Reply with quote
Thanks,

Least now i know which ones that should be avoided like the plague, and perhaps a couple that have promise as well.
maus

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2007 6:39 pm Reply with quote
Man from the looks of this I think I'll only watch Gundam... All the other stuff is well, not too appealing to me. From the controversial Kojikan to Clannad.
I think it's time for me to rewatch some good series I have already... Confused

edit: well, maybe I was too presumptious just now; Genshiken 2 and ef look like fun. Wink
Bunchuu of Chouka

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2007 7:07 pm Reply with quote
Hmm... It would appear that Gundam 00 is the only one that appeals to me as well.
The others all seem a bit too... similar? Yes, perhaps that's the word. None of them seem terribly unique to me, but perhaps I don't know enough about them yet.
HellKorn

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2007 7:12 pm Reply with quote
This season is just incredibly underwhelming compared to this past spring and summer ones. A return to the norm with basically fan-/otaku-pandering with a couple or so gems to find.

I will say it's disappointing that the article didn't cover Moyashimon, as it's one of the quirkiest and most promising comedy anime that I've seen in a while. The micro-organisms are cute as a button, too.

And just judging from its first episode, Ghost Hound seems to be THE anime to watch for the jaded fan. Truly Lain-esque in its presentation, and it has already set itself apart from practically every other anime out there.

It also has no music sans opening and ending themes, and has the most amazing sound direction EVER in anime. Really mind-blowing stuff.

Mokke is relaxing, though it's nothing to write home about. It doesn't have that "magic" that Mushi-shi and Yokohama Kaidashi Kikou have, and really comes across as... "boring," I guess. There really isn't much tension as its constantly low-key, and there's no element -- in the writing, direction, art, et cetera. -- that is different from what we've seen before.

Gundam 00 at least has a competent director, screenwriter, and musical composer backing it. Don't feel much one way or the other about it yet. At least it won't degrade itself to Tomino's haphazard ways...
penguintruth

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2007 7:14 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
With any luck it'll do something with the dramatically limp Wing akin to what Gundam Seed did with the original Gundam—namely meld its philosophical and moral concerns with a sharper sense for teen drama (or melodrama) while taking advantage of modern animation techniques.

Let's hope it does better than that.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2007 7:20 pm Reply with quote
Shana II
Yeah, not the greatest of beginnings, but the next two episodes are a bit better. I was never the biggest fan of Shana, but I am enjoying it.

Myself; Yourself
For me, this is the weakest of the harem/romance shows this season. I'm all for interesting male leads, but When the male is the only thing keeping me watching, that's NOT a good thing. Aoi annoys me to no end. Every time she opens her mouth I want to clamp it shut. The rest of her character isn't any better. She's the big boobed dummy (Oh look, I'm so stupid I need an apron to eat, aren't I cute) which I despise.

Gundam 00
The first episode was a bit confusing largely because it didn't bother with the slightest bit of set up and started tossing out acronyms and group names without bothering to tell the audience what they were. Fortunately, episode 2 fixed that. The series has the potential to be very good depending on what it does with the themes and the premise. But its walking on a tightrope and could easily end up being crap.

Kodomo no Jikan
It's actually somewhat interesting but the censoring is really annoying, especially since they could have easily avoided the need for them in the first place. That shot at the end (used in the screen shot) could have worked just as well if they had simply shown it form the other side.

Gosyosho-sama Ninomiya-kun
This is my guilty pleasure show of the season. It's so absurd and stupid, but it is fun.

Bamboo Blade
I've only seen the first episode, but it looks like it will be a fun series.

Blue Drop
Definitely one of the seasons better offerings, particularly for 'serious' stories of which there is very little.

Clannad
This is on its way to being my favorite of the Key adaptations. This has the best cast as I like all of the girls named in the opening. In the Kanon, I didn't care for Makoto and I only somewhat liked Ayu; in Air, Misuzu really isn't doing anything for me and the others aren't much better. But in Clannad, I like all of the main girls pretty well (though Kotomi has only had about a minute of screentime in episode 2) and Nagisa is easily the best lead of the three series. Also, for people annoyed by the catchphrases in the Kanon and Air, none of the girls here do that. As usual for KyoAni's Key adaptations, the music is really good. Though I prefer Tori no Uta and Last Regrets over Nagisa, they are all really good.

Mokke
It's a decent slife-of-life-ish show, but its not that good and it doesn't really make me want to watch more. On the other hand, I've just started Aria, and I very much want to see the rest of that ASAP.

Minami-ke
Absolutely hilarious. I disagree about the other two sisters (I rather like Chiaki) though.

ef - A Tale of Memories
The visual effects are going to be a love it or hate it thing. I rather like them but I can see a lot of people being put off by it. As a whole, I really like it. However, it should be noted that the "opening" in the first episode is not the opening for the whole series. Shaft is being wierd and the opening doesn't appear until the end of episode 2 (and will presumeably be at the beginning for the remainder of the series). And its a great opening, my favorite of the season.

Kimikiss Pure Rouge
Another good romance/almost "harem"/erogame adaptation. I like both of the male leads who are actually likeable. Oh, and the girls are good too.

I'm disappointed that no one reviewed Prism Ark, the (IMO) worst show of the season.
Merciful Evans

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2007 7:21 pm Reply with quote
An interesting spread.

The initial reviews are all very useful, but one line just struck me as completely bizarre.

Quote:
With any luck it'll do something with the dramatically limp Wing akin to what Gundam Seed did with the original Gundam—namely meld its philosophical and moral concerns with a sharper sense for teen drama (or melodrama) while taking advantage of modern animation techniques.

I don't think I agree with any of the assertions it makes, but maybe it's just me.
KabaKabaFruit

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2007 7:22 pm Reply with quote
I can't believe you guys didn't put Kaiji on that list. Among all the other fun and fluff shows we've seen this season, Kaiji really stands out due to its take on high stakes gambling and the psychological mentality of gamblers themselves.

Fukumoto's works just can't get any love.

Zawa zawa zawa zawa Sad
Tyrenol

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2007 7:27 pm Reply with quote
WHAT??!!

No Suteki Tantei Labyrinth?

No Night Wizard?

No Rental Magica?

Is MOE the new crack? Mad
Armageddon

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2007 7:33 pm Reply with quote
There is also Dragonaut - The Resonance that was not reviewed. It has a quite unique plot compared to the ones this season. Definitely one of the shoes to keep an eye on this season.

Tyrenol wrote:
WHAT??!!

No Suteki Tantei Labyrinth?

No Night Wizard?

No Rental Magica?

Is MOE the new crack? Mad

At least you can say that the most confusing ones (the ones with similar themes) were reviewed and helps pick the best one(s) out, if there is any.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2007 7:37 pm Reply with quote
Merciful Evans wrote:

Quote:

I don't think I agree with any of the assertions it makes, but maybe it's just me.

The assertions of which one? Wing, SEED, or 00? If you mean 00 (and I assume you do), which assertions are you talking about?
wihowife

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2007 7:39 pm Reply with quote
KabaKabaFruit wrote:
I can't believe you guys didn't put Kaiji on that list. Among all the other fun and fluff shows we've seen this season, Kaiji really stands out due to its take on high stakes gambling and the psychological mentality of gamblers themselves.

Fukumoto's works just can't get any love.

Zawa zawa zawa zawa Sad

ditto on that Very Happy (and probably being the only anime with no female leading roles!..actually no females at all. No wonder the director calls it 'anti-moe'.)
zawa...zawa zawa

Last edited by wihowife on Sun Oct 21, 2007 7:42 pm; edited 2 times in total
narutoismybrother

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2007 7:40 pm Reply with quote
Considering how I'm watching every anime that's coming out this season and that has already came out, besides Gundam 00 (not a huge Gundam fan even if it's in HD), Shion no Ou (shougi or however you spell it, not really in to that much), and Rental Magica (just didn't like it), I must say that this season is filled with more magical, sisterly, shojo-esque, dating-sim anime ever to fill a season. Having multiple boy meets girl/girl meets boy and fall in love anime, it is increasingly hard to keep track of what characters belong to what anime. All I'm saying is that I just wish there was more shonen appealing anime and distinct unique characters, that weren't so freakin generic, this season. As much as I love shojo and "omg I'm in love" anime, too much of it is overkill.
babbo

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2007 7:44 pm Reply with quote
HellKorn wrote:
This season is just incredibly underwhelming compared to this past spring and summer ones. A return to the norm with basically fan-/otaku-pandering with a couple or so gems to find.
Meh people always say that. I can still remember people whining over how the spring was gonna be crap and now you can't walk an inch with tripping over a gurren laggen fan.

Quote:

I will say it's disappointing that the article didn't cover Moyashimon, as it's one of the quirkiest and most promising comedy anime that I've seen in a while. The micro-organisms are cute as a button, too.

I'm not surprised, my top picks are generally always left out of reviews and what not. Kaiji (based on a work from the mangaka who did akagi) and Shion no Oh (from the looks of it a darker play on Hikago's only with a mute female lead and shougi instead of go) were completely left out too. I am on the other hand surprised to see night wizard and Renta Magical left out, they're on my stupid fun list.

Not like it matters though, everyone questioning why this show or that show didn't make it should be prepared to be told that they can write about everything.

Last edited by babbo on Sun Oct 21, 2007 7:58 pm; edited 2 times in total
Armageddon

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2007 7:44 pm Reply with quote
narutoismybrother wrote:
Considering how I'm watching every anime that's coming out this season and that has already came out, besides Gundam 00 (not a huge Gundam fan even if it's in HD), Shion no Ou (shougi or however you spell it, not really in to that much), and Rental Magica (just didn't like it), I must say that this season is filled with more magical, sisterly, shojo-esque, dating-sim anime ever to fill a season. Having multiple boy meets girl/girl meets boy and fall in love anime, it is increasingly hard to keep track of what characters belong to what anime. All I'm saying is that I just wish there was more shonen appealing anime and distinct unique characters, that weren't so freakin generic, this season. As much as I love shojo and "omg I'm in love" anime, too much of it is overkill.

Why are you watching them all then? I believe there is much other things you can be doing instead Razz
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page   Next
Page 1 of 14