• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Mobile Suit Gundam 00 - Sci-Fi broadcast (w/index).

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dtm42

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2008 12:06 am Reply with quote
Were Graham and Patrick as bad as they were in the dub?
ptrix4u2c

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2008 12:45 am Reply with quote
That's it for discussion on the show? Maybe everyone is still watching Decedents of Darkness.

Without having the impression of the original cast I felt the dub was fine. Certainly less awkward than I found Gurren Lagann's to be. As far as the show itself I really like the setup. I just hope we see more character development in the next episodes. Hopefully all the fans of Gundam Wing are watching this because I'd like to see more shows brought over this quickly.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2008 1:28 am Reply with quote
I'm not impressed by the dub by any means, but it's a little better than I expected, given the trailer's samples of it.

The Gundam Meisters aren't awful, but Brad Swaile sounds like he's phoning in Setsuna and Richard Ian Cox's Allelujah is too rough for my tastes. Even Haro sounds a little off. Feldt and Christina sound almost exactly the same. I know one of them is the voice of Lacus from Gundam SEED/Destiny. Sumeragi is good, I even guessed that they would choose that voice actress to be her. Wang sounds a little off. I think the strongest voice from Celestial Being is Lockon, who surprised me.

As far as other characters, I found Sergei's voice to be grating. It appears that they tried to do a grizzly voice for a hardened war vet, but they failed to take in to account he has a deep voice in the Japanese, an almost fatherly quality, not just sounding like a guy who needs a lozenge. Patrick is even more irritating, but I've decided that it fits his personality. Graham sounds too young and a little awkward. Billy Katagiri, on the other hand, is well played by Kirby Morrow. One of the few voices that fit like a glove.

It's too soon to tell with some characters, like Saji, Louise, Alejandro, Ribbons, or Kinue. I really hope that voice at the beginning of the first episode wasn't what Ali al Sarches will sound like, because it was just plain awful. Many of the incidental voices seemed to change from scene to scene, and were just very bland and generic, where not just bad.

Not good, but not as bad as the dub for Zeta Gundam.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Descent123

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2008 4:26 pm Reply with quote
I found the dub to be perfectly just fine.

Cool show, I'm big on political/war stories and this is right up my alley (plus it helps to have Gundams in the mix).
Mushi-Man

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2008 7:29 pm Reply with quote
Usually dubs don't annoy me, as long as the story is good I wont mind. And so far I have found the story to be in classic gundam awesomeness. I hope that it continues this way.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
parkejeff

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2008 7:44 pm Reply with quote
The only thing that bothered me about this series is the similarities between Setsuna and Sousuke from FMP. I would have to say its not the best Gundam that I have seen, but it's worth a watch if you are inbetween series.
braves

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2008 8:17 pm Reply with quote
Okay, just finished watching the 2 episodes today. The dub seemed alright, but the show didn't particularly impress me. Judging from these 2 episodes, if the purpose of the show is to serve as political commentary, then it'll fail miserably. Laughing The whole notion of "using force to stop war" isn't exactly a revolutionary notion, and I hope that it isn't the best that this show will offer. Razz
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
abynormal

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2008 9:27 pm Reply with quote
braves wrote:
Okay, just finished watching the 2 episodes today. The dub seemed alright, but the show didn't particularly impress me. Judging from these 2 episodes, if the purpose of the show is to serve as political commentary, then it'll fail miserably. Laughing The whole notion of "using force to stop war" isn't exactly a revolutionary notion, and I hope that it isn't the best that this show will offer. Razz

I always thought the political aspects of the series were rather silly and shallow. Once it gets away from that and focuses on the conflict between Celestial Being and, well, everyone else it becomes more fun.
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2008 7:08 pm Reply with quote
braves wrote:
Judging from these 2 episodes, if the purpose of the show is to serve as political commentary, then it'll fail miserably. Laughing The whole notion of "using force to stop war" isn't exactly a revolutionary notion, and I hope that it isn't the best that this show will offer. Razz

The politics of the series are laughable at best. Ignore that, and you'll find a fairly good (albeit ridiculous) series as it goes on.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2008 8:50 pm Reply with quote
I still fail to be impressed at any of the voices or the delivery in this dub. It's just so mediocre. In the case of the Gundam Meisters, Allelujah continues to be too gruff-sounding. Richard Ian Cox was better suited to be Patrick Colasour. Maybe it'll turn out for the best once his other persona kicks in, but for now it's just irritating. Tieria is still pretty bland and Brad Swaile's still phoning it in with Setsuna. I will admit to a certain liking of Lockon's voice, even though it's a tad uneven.

Graham is improving slightly, but he still sounds a tad too young. Billy is well-played by Kirby Morrow. Professor Aifman hasn't said much, so it's hard to tell, but he seems all right. Sergei's also improved a bit, but a deeper voice would have been preferable. Soma's voice is pretty decent so far, but it's still too early to tell.

Marina has a voice befitting her character. I'm very satisfied with it. Shirin, though, sounds like she's sixty years old. She has the opposite problem Graham's voice has, sounding far, far too old. Saji and Louise are decent, but Saji's voice hams it up a little more than he should. It's surprising that somebody's actually trying too hard in a dub where so few seem to be trying at all.

Other voices sound generic or entirely too recognizable. Maybe I've been listening to dub tracks for too long, because I can always tell when a one-off character is somebody else. Though it's made pretty obvious when it's somebody who's already prominent in the cast.

Also, it's aggravating that Sci-Fi Channel cuts off bits and pieces of the show for commercials.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
braves

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2008 11:33 am Reply with quote
abynormal wrote:
I always thought the political aspects of the series were rather silly and shallow.

HitokiriShadow wrote:
The politics of the series are laughable at best.

Yes, and after watching these latest 2 episodes it's still just as bad. Anime hyper

The last 4 episodes seemed to be the exact same thing over and over. There's a problem-> Celestial Being goes to fix it. No matter who gets in the way. I have no idea who the characters are, except that Setsuna has a weird last name and doesn't like to be touched. Maybe he should find another line of work. Razz Pretty mediocre start to a series.

HitokiriShadow wrote:
Ignore that, and you'll find a fairly good (albeit ridiculous) series as it goes on.

If it gets ridiculous like Code Geass was, then I'm sure I'll enjoy it. Wink
dtm42

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2008 10:53 pm Reply with quote
This is how Bandai Entertainment treats English-speaking fans:

(Don't look unless you want to be spoiled.)

They spoil them.

(The gist of it is, BE placed the wrong picture in the 0 Gundam's entry. The picture instead shows a season two Gundam.)

Whoever made this embarrassing mess - made even more so by the fact that no-one from BE seems to have cottoned-on - should get fired. Either it is malicious, or it is a result of incompetency. Let's have a vote as to which one we think it is.

I say incompetency.
Kaioshin_Sama

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2008 2:49 am Reply with quote
parkejeff wrote:
The only thing that bothered me about this series is the similarities between Setsuna and Sousuke from FMP. I would have to say its not the best Gundam that I have seen, but it's worth a watch if you are inbetween series.

Yes, and in turn Sousuke is basically just Heero Yuy from Gundam Wing. Funny how that works.

Actually in reality they are all just characters of the stoic archetype.

And to the whiner with no patience, the greater half of the first season serves as an establishing point for the setting and eventually things will start to take off once it hits the second half. That point being around were most where most series end these days. See Gundam 00 has actually been afforded the luxury of a decent episode count so that it can manage a slow build and *gasp* tell a story with more sides to it then "holy smokes that guy just grabbed that moe girl by accident and now she's slapping him". And it ultimately becomes all the better for it too. Very Happy
BellosTheMighty

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2008 11:01 am Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:
This is how Bandai Entertainment treats English-speaking fans:

(Don't look unless you want to be spoiled.)

They spoil them.

(The gist of it is, BE placed the wrong picture in the 0 Gundam's entry. The picture instead shows a season two Gundam.)

Whoever made this embarrassing mess - made even more so by the fact that no-one from BE seems to have cottoned-on - should get fired. Either it is malicious, or it is a result of incompetency. Let's have a vote as to which one we think it is.

I say incompetency.

What?! Are you on crack? "OMG they gave us the wrong picture! THROW THEM OUT ON THE STREETS!" Can we say "over-reaction", kiddies?

I mean seriously, this isn't a spoiler for anyone. If you know ANYTHING AT ALL about Gundam, you know that of COURSE there's going to be an upgraded version of a suit or two running around the series during the second half. It happens in every iteration of the series I can recall- even Stardust Memory, which lasted only 12 episodes! And even if you don't know anything about Gundam, it's an IMAGE. It's not the shocking swerve where Setsuna kills his Greek Chorus neighbors because they knew too much about him, nor the controversial scene where Allejulah gets it on with his own clone, nor the big twist ending where the Gundams destroy the transmission towers and plunge the world into a new dark age. It's a SINGLE STATIC PICTURE OF A GIANT ROBOT! He's not even DOING anything! And this qualifies as such a grave slap in the face to the fandom that someone should be fired and sent looking for another job to support himself and his family? And in an economic recession too? What the hell is your problem?

Christ... even "an eye for an eye" has the unspoken "no more than an eye for an eye" attached.

Seriously, dtm42, I'm left to consider the possibility that you're nothing but a rabble-rousing troll. Thinking back, I can't remember one single post from you that had any aim other than to show people how much you hated the R1 industry and try to inflame the boards against them. Be straight with me, you're really some undercover agent for those fanatical parent groups we keep hearing about, aren't you? This is all a plot to destroy the industry by turning its target market against it, isn't it? Because I can't see any other good reason for your continuing to throw disrespect and bile at every stateside company that works with anime or manga...

EDIT: And your English sucks, too! The word is "incompetence", there's no such word as "incompetency".
penguintruth

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2008 11:18 am Reply with quote
BellosTheMighty, everybody. Giving an essay response to something that could just as easily be summed up in one sentence.

"That's pretty funny, but not unusual for official English-language sites for new shows, and it'll probably be fixed, eventually."
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 4 of 20