• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Mobile Suit Gundam 00 - Sci-Fi broadcast (w/index).

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
braves

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2008 11:48 am Reply with quote
Kaioshin_Sama wrote:
And to the whiner with no patience...

Oh, but I have plenty of patience. How else can I go through roughly 200 episodes of Naruto? 00 just has failed to impress me in the first 4 episodes of the series. Normally within the first few episodes of a good 50 episode series, there's at least one episode that sucks you in and gives you a reason to stick around for the long run and for me 00 hasn't delivered in that regard.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
penguintruth

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2008 12:59 pm Reply with quote
braves wrote:
Kaioshin_Sama wrote:
And to the whiner with no patience...

Oh, but I have plenty of patience. How else can I go through roughly 200 episodes of Naruto? 00 just has failed to impress me in the first 4 episodes of the series. Normally within the first few episodes of a good 50 episode series, there's at least one episode that sucks you in and gives you a reason to stick around for the long run and for me 00 hasn't delivered in that regard.

200 episodes of generic fighting shonen impressed you more? Rolling Eyes
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
braves

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2008 1:55 pm Reply with quote
I'm afraid it did.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
penguintruth

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2008 1:03 am Reply with quote
What did viewers think of Scott McNeil as Ali al Sarches? I'm still on the fence. He sounds a little awkward to me, personally, but he doesn't sound unfit. I think it may be too soon to tell. I may just need to step back and look at it from the perspective of somebody who's not used to the Japanese voice.

Marina's assistant Shirin still sounds far too old. Isn't she supposed to be in her twenties or thirties? She sounds like Glenn Close.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
daedelus

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2008 2:38 am Reply with quote
That's funny, I didn't even realize that was Scott until I read your post. That isn't the first time his voice has thrown me. Ed's father on FMA was the first.

I remembered your comments on Shirin's voice, so I listened very intently. I have to say that I don't agree. She does sound mature and professional. Ah well, each to their own I guess.

One particular reason why I'm enjoying this series is the surgical nature of CB's attacks. Compared to the previous Seed series where it was constant and frequent 100 vs. 100 explosion fests, there are only 4 Gundams. They get in, then get out. It's great when a plan comes together.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2008 3:09 am Reply with quote
daedelus wrote:
It's great when a plan comes together.

*cue A-Team music*
BellosTheMighty

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2008 2:53 pm Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:
What did viewers think of Scott McNeil as Ali al Sarches?

The guy with the facial hair who comes after Setsuna end of last episode? He sounds like he's trying to channel Snake Plisken. I liked it. Anime smile
penguintruth

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2008 3:09 pm Reply with quote
BellosTheMighty wrote:
penguintruth wrote:
What did viewers think of Scott McNeil as Ali al Sarches?

The guy with the facial hair who comes after Setsuna end of last episode? He sounds like he's trying to channel Snake Plisken. I liked it. Anime smile

Heh, I never thought of it that way. Pretty good analogy.

Though, if possible, Ali is more brutal.
dtm42

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2008 8:08 pm Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:

This is what I reckon his theme music should be. And no, it's not a spoiler.
wingzerosnuggles

PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2008 10:40 am Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:
penguintruth wrote:

This is what I reckon his theme music should be. And no, it's not a spoiler.
What happened to Prince Ali, mighty is he, Ali Al-Sarshes? xD
penguintruth

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2008 2:33 am Reply with quote
Ali still sounds tilted and forced. Scott McNeil is just doing "generic bad guy voice", without any charisma. It's annoying because of how much more unhinged the Japanese voice sounds. Also, what's with the pronounciation of his name?

Sergei continues to be excruciating. Somebody just replace him already, you do not make such an important character have such an irredeemably bad voice. He's not getting any better. At least Soma balances him out by being very good.

Extras need to stop growling. This isn't a wolf impression competition.

Has anyone in this dub heard of ACTING? It really feels like they're phoning this in. What happened, Ocean? Your Death Note dub was top notch. What, you don't feel like performing well for other programs, now?
BellosTheMighty

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2008 11:36 am Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:
Ali still sounds tilted and forced. Scott McNeil is just doing "generic bad guy voice", without any charisma. It's annoying because of how much more unhinged the Japanese voice sounds. Also, what's with the pronounciation of his name?

Sergei continues to be excruciating. Somebody just replace him already, you do not make such an important character have such an irredeemably bad voice. He's not getting any better. At least Soma balances him out by being very good.

Extras need to stop growling. This isn't a wolf impression competition.

Has anyone in this dub heard of ACTING? It really feels like they're phoning this in. What happened, Ocean? Your Death Note dub was top notch. What, you don't feel like performing well for other programs, now?

I'll agree McNeil needs to push it a little. If you're going to be flagrantly evil, you have to push it all the way to 11, like Brad Swaile did in Death Note. Stopping at 10 for fear of getting too hammy is good for a lot of roles, but not here. Although, he may be trying to indicate that the character has hidden depth.

I fail to see why people keep criticizing scar-face. He's not great, true, but the character isn't especially interesting either. Strikes me more as a kind of a greek chorus type of character. Also, he really hasn't done much on screen as of yet- he's just kind of waiting for his moment to show how awesome he is. And as for the extras- dude, they're EXTRAS, what do you expect? Extras are not supposed to draw attention away from the main characters, they're supossed to be unremarkable. If they're being played by the principles in multiple roles, said principles are probably saving their good voices.

I really think people are overstating the flaws in 00's acting. I mean, if you think this is unacceptable, you should really stick around after it's over to catch Descendants of Darkness. That should give you some perspective. Anime smile
dtm42

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2008 4:43 pm Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:

Ahem. The Death Note dub was inferior to the sub. Well, that's my opinion, but I can say for sure that Brad Swaile took too long to get into his role. And now the Gundam 00 dub is not only worse (than the sub) but just grating on the ears, and misses all the character subtleties. Still, I guess it is passable. As long as people who have not watched the sub are not being turned off by the dub, then I suppose it all works out.
daedelus

PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2008 1:42 am Reply with quote
What a myriad of personality issues the Gundam Miesters have! It also seems that the other CB personnel are human too. It was nice to see that depicted in these latest episodes.
Sidhardha

PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2008 1:08 pm Reply with quote
didn't found Gundam 00 season 2 opening fiting the serial.

After watching it, continued to other show and...

Gundam 00 original opening - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LbfBQQe4zgE

Turn off sound of Gundam Video and start this one:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eC994kQFJ2A

didn't they misplaced what songs has to be used in wich anime?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 5 of 20