• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Most Clever/Intelligent Character Tourney Post-Mortem

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Contests and Games
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Key

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2008 8:43 pm Reply with quote
teekay wrote:
Reason: While leadership in itself is not intelligence, there is such a thing as social or interpersonal intelligence, and the Major has it in spades. According to Wikipedia:
Quote:
This area has to do with interaction with others. People in this category are usually extroverts and are characterized by their sensitivity to others' moods, feelings, temperaments and motivations, and their ability to cooperate in order to work as part of a group. They communicate effectively and empathize easily with others, and may be either leaders or followers.

Which for the most part fits the Major beautifully. Some may disagree with it, but the fact remains that this is part of a prominent theory of how intelligence works.

I should have known that Multiple Intelligence Theory would rear its head at some point, and so cut it off at the pass. My error for not specifically disallowing it earlier.

Just so we're clear, this tournament is about intelligence and cleverness in the classical sense - i.e. the kind of intelligence that focuses on strategy, reasoning, computational ability, problem-solving, and adaptiveness. We are not going to start having debates about who should be considered intelligent because they're high on the Body-Kinesthetic ratings or are a whiz at Interpersonal or Spatial intelligence. And I'll write that into the first post's rules if necessary to prevent these intelligence debates from ever going in that direction again.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Ggultra2764
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2008 12:02 am Reply with quote
And it's now after midnight. There goes one of my bracket choices for the finals. Sad
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Key

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2008 12:10 am Reply with quote
Round 4 Group A is now closed.

Official results will soon be posted here, but barring me discovering an error on the double-check, they should be the same as Ggultra2764's last tally. Looks like the seeds both survived in two hard-fought battles. (And I'm 2/2 on designating the right seeds!)

Anyway, the next round will be up soon. I think that one may be highly competitive, too.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Key

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2008 12:39 am Reply with quote
Round 4 Group B is now closed.

As with Group A, we have all-new video clips for all pairings.

Guide: Group B Guide

Group B-29
The Count of Monte Cristo, Gankutsuou: The Count of Monte Cristo [ Video Clip ]
vs.
Akio Ohtori, Revolutionary Girl Utena [ Video Clip ]

Winner: The Count
Total: 20-1

Group B-30
Horo the Wise, Spice and Wolf [ Video Clip ]
vs.
Aizen Sousuke, Bleach [ Video Clip ]

Winner: Horo
Total: 15-6

Last edited by Key on Tue Jan 06, 2009 12:09 am; edited 1 time in total
Ggultra2764
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2008 12:48 am Reply with quote
Group B-29: Count of Monte Cristo
This was a tough one for me to think over. Both are manipulators and created guises to conceal their intentions. But, I've heard that the Count had planned out his goals for years while I never got a sense of how Akio laid out his plans. So, I'm gonna go with the Count this round.

Group B-30: Horo the Wise (Spice and Wolf)
Hands down, I'm going with Horo. Aizen's manipulations are against people of lower intelligence than he is while Horo deals with merchants who regularly deceive those that they deal with.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Key

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2008 12:52 am Reply with quote
Group B-29
vs.

Hmmm, a battle of two world-class schemers, each of whom has meticulously manipulated events in their respective series towards specific goals. They have very different styles - The Count has a go-for-the-jugular style which involves engineering custom-made maximum torment on his targets, while Akio is much more about manipulating people through deception - but each has compelling arguments in their favor which should make it a tight race.

But it won't be. I feel certain that this will be a blow-out in The Count's favor, even though I think he is only very marginally the better choice.

Group B-30
vs.

I dearly, dearly want to vote for Horo here, but this clip shows the beginning of Aizen's "big reveal," which shows that he has had his hand in manipulating the course of nearly every event shown in the series to that point (we're talking 60+ episodes here). You have to be one damn good - and smart - schemer to pull off something that intricate and still cover your tracks, even if you are dealing with idiots. As sly and clever as Horo is, even she can't match that.
Dorcas_Aurelia

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2008 1:05 am Reply with quote
Minigame rankings haven't changed much at all since last round, but scores have a little. See for yourself. It was a mostly unsurprising outcome.

Template:

Group B-29
The Count of Monte Cristo, Gankutsuou: The Count of Monte Cristo
Akio Ohtori, Revolutionary Girl Utena vs.
Voting For:
Reason:
Possibility of Change:

Group B-30
Horo the Wise, Spice and Wolf vs.
Aizen Souskue, Bleach
Voting For:
Reason:
Possibility of Change:
ccdx

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2008 1:08 am Reply with quote
All brackets and mini-game scores updated at: http://home.comcast.net/~unirizer2/
Ggultra2764
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2008 1:11 am Reply with quote
Ugh. I've gone down in ranking again. Sad
guet

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2008 1:12 am Reply with quote
Group B-29
vs.

Voting for: The Count

Reason: The clip for Akio was not convincing, although I believe the Count is nearing the end of his run, he still gets my vote for now.

Vote change: Possible

Group B-30
vs.

Voting for: Horo

Reason: I'm as big a fan of Bleach as the next person, but I have to admit that so far in the entire series, Aizen has been a sort of one-trick mastermind. All of his plans and manipulations come to fruition in the clip shown here. After that.... not so much. Urahara is at least as deserving in my opinion, and he did not make it past the first round facing strong opposition. Horo is a strong contender, and deserving of winning the bracket in my opinion. Her cleverness is shown every time she is on screen.

Vote change: None
LydiaDianne

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2008 2:01 am Reply with quote
Group B-29
vs.

I'm going to have to go with {b]The Count[/b] on this round. I just think that he's the better choice here.

Group B-30
vs.

Sticking with Aizen, he's just more manipulative to me.
dtm42

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2008 2:07 am Reply with quote
Ggultra2764 wrote:
Ugh. I've gone down in ranking again. Sad

Don't worry about it. I gave up the Minigame weeks ago when I realised that I'd unfortunately made some (okay, a lot of) poor choices. Even though I technically can still win it, I don't really care; I'm having enough fun voting and debating as it is. Of course, it was still a sad sad day when I dropped five places in a single go, but them's the breaks.

P.S. Those tables/charts/graphs are really good Dorcas_Aurelia. Please keep them coming.
Aylinn

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2008 2:48 am Reply with quote
Group B-29
The Count of Monte Cristo, Gankutsuou: The Count of Monte Cristo
Akio Ohtori, Revolutionary Girl Utena vs.
Voting For: Akio Ohtori
I'm still torn between Akio and The Count of Monte Cristo but for the time being I vote in favour of Akio.
Possibility of Change: Yes

Group B-30
Horo the Wise, Spice and Wolf vs.
Aizen Souskue, Bleach
Voting For: Horo
Reason: Horo outsmarted more intelligent people, which is more impressive than Aizen's achievement in deceiving idiots. Plus, I agree with guet's assessment of Aizen being "one-trick mastermind".
Possibility of Change: None
marie-antoinette

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2008 6:30 am Reply with quote
Group B-29
Voting for: The Count of Monte Cristo

Reasons: Akio hasn't convinced me that he's better than the Count, who is one of the few characters in this thing I actually am familiar with.

Group B-30
Voting for: Horo the Wise

Reasons: Mini-game be damned, I'm voting against a seed for once. The "one-trick mastermind" argument helped, plus the fact that I have become quite intrigued by Horo in general (not sure if that would be enough to make me watch Spice and Wolf though, IIRC the premise didn't greatly interest me).
abunai
Old Regular

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2008 8:20 am Reply with quote
Group B-29
vs.

I find this choice fairly uncomplicated. Although I think Akio deserves a shot at the majors, he is simply facing too tough competition here. My vote goes to the Count.

Group B-30
vs.

Everybody is overestimating Horo, and underestimating Captain Aizen. She may call herself "wise", but I don't buy into the hype. My vote goes to Aizen Sousuke.

- abunai
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Contests and Games All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 59 of 90