• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood (TV) (w/ index).

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Blackpeppir

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2009 2:06 am Reply with quote
I may sound like a fool for asking this, but I just came across a couple sites that say FMA:Brotherhood is only commissioned for 13 episodes. Anyone know if this is true and if it is what are the chances of that just being for this season and that we'll get another 13 next season?
Maidenoftheredhand

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2009 6:31 am Reply with quote
RhymesWithEmpty wrote:

'm always hearing people say the manga is more about moving forward, staying strong, keeping up hope, etc, etc, but Ed seems so much more pathetic to me this time around than he did at this point in the 1st series.

Well yes Ed lying face down on the ground did make him seem a bit more pathetic (again this was not in the manga) but by the end of the episode he talks about moving forward. That line is not in the manga either but it certainly fits the themes of the manga.

It's not like the characters in the manga never lose hope but the point is they find that hope again. And Ed certainly did by the end of this episode with a little help from Al of course.

RhymesWithEmpty wrote:

See, that's what the Al's arm falling off bit does for me. That works. Perfect touch. Al punching Ed and Ed doing a dozen little cartoony backflips just earns an exasperated sigh from me. Different strokes for different folks, though.

Well okay I actually didn't like those back flips that much either (although there were only two) This is just me being a purist nitpicker though because I liked seeing Al punch Ed full in the face in the manga (and I also liked seeing his horn poke him in the forehead). But the rest of the scene was perfect for me and I don't think adding comedy to that scene ruined anything.

And I am worried about them combining two chapters per episode as well. But I am just going to have to accept it because it looks like it might be the pace for the entire series.

Blackpeppir wrote:
I may sound like a fool for asking this, but I just came across a couple sites that say FMA:Brotherhood is only commissioned for 13 episodes. Anyone know if this is true and if it is what are the chances of that just being for this season and that we'll get another 13 next season?

No it is definitely not just 13 episodes. That is just the number of episodes for the season not series. I am not sure if they have an official number for the series yet (although apparently a German anime magazine said 63, that has not been officially confirmed though).
braves

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2009 11:06 am Reply with quote
I know that this has been said before, but the biggest complaint I have about this episode was: 1) Scar knowing who Ed was from out of the blue. 2) the scene where Ed got his automai blown apart was really lame.

The pacing was also a little too fast for me, though it's still loads better than what was happening in eps. 2 & 3.

population_tire wrote:
Has Funi given us an estimation for the English version yet?

No. I'd expected a R1 release sometime next year. I think that we are fortunate enough to get the streaming just days after the broadcast.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Crimson_Reaper

PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2009 6:36 am Reply with quote
From what I have read, it seems I am one in a few that actually likes Scar popping out of nowhere infront of Ed. I just assumed it linked with that fact that his freakin' sneaky. But yeah, I guess some parts were bound not be 'favoured' as they had to come up with something original, rather than to copy and paste some areas.

I am looking forward to next episode, as always. Be interesting to see how they get two chapters in one episode spoiler[without combat being in it at all.]
Ikari1

PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2009 12:56 pm Reply with quote
Scar would obviously know who Edward and Al was just from the fact that they are famous alchemists already. Thier name seems to be bigger than others so it's not that hard to believe. How Scar got on top of a government building is another matter altogether and/or knew exactly how to find him is just a massive plot hole. As for characterisation, I dont remember the manga being that similar to how they have done it this time round. I certainly hope not as already i can see why they origionally went in a slightly different direction with the origional series. I just dont think the manga translates particularly well onto the screen, either that or I need to revisit the manga again which Im currently doing anyway. I was hoping this series would be THE one to watch over the summer for me but as it is there is plenty of other anime series on at the moment which are impressing me much more.

Why did they choose to take a different direction with the origional series in the first place.

Any way I would write more but I broke my ankle last night and that means it is going to take me the best part of the rest of the day to go get some food since as luck would have it, i cant find my takeaway menus either. I suppose that leaves more time to watch anime and moan about FMA.

Wink
braves

PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2009 1:38 pm Reply with quote
Ikari1 wrote:
Scar would obviously know who Edward and Al was just from the fact that they are famous alchemists already. Thier name seems to be bigger than others so it's not that hard to believe.

It kinda is hard to believe. It seems that everyone who meets the two recognizes the name "Fullmetal" but they think that Al is Fullmetal and Ed is his younger brother. But Scar conveniently knows which one is which he faces them.

The scene made a lot more sense in the manga- where a soldier directly address Ed as Fullmetal and therefore Scar knows that he's the one.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Ikari1

PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2009 1:52 pm Reply with quote
The point is Scar isnt stupid and doesnt just wander around finding random State alchemists. He will have his sources. The scene illustrates Scar's intelligence compared to the ' rank and file'.
Fawfulhasfury

PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2009 2:05 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, but he still should've been shown walking up, instead of just standing there. That is so undynamic it's jarring.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
RhymesWithEmpty

PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2009 2:19 am Reply with quote
I can see maybe if it had been, like, a dramatic cut to him standing there, but it wasn't, the whole thing was very casual, and he was just kinda there, out of the blue. So, yeah, it was definitely jarring for me. But I suspect we might be making this one tiny part of the episode into a bigger deal than it really is. Although even the 1st anime gave a reason behind Scar knowing who Ed was, so it's just kind of confusing when the series that is supposed to be following the manga more strictly cuts that unique little bit from the manga out. Still not the hugest of deals, though.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
kpk

PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2009 5:44 am Reply with quote
Maidenoftheredhand wrote:

Blackpeppir wrote:

No it is definitely not just 13 episodes. That is just the number of episodes for the season not series. I am not sure if they have an official number for the series yet (although apparently a German anime magazine said 63, that has not been officially confirmed though).

It actually make sense.
kpk

PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2009 10:12 am Reply with quote
Ohhhhh, come on! give us some meat already, For God's sake!
This episode was all right, but nothing more Confused
and also.. the character design was kind of weird Confused
penguintruth

PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2009 5:28 pm Reply with quote
Well, nothing really went on in the newest episode, as it was both sort of made of character moments, background information and material we already saw in the first series, so I appreciate that they were able to get this done in a single episode.

I sort of liked how they tied the Marcoh meeting with the Scar attack and tied the watch bit from the Rush Valley arc into the Risembool episode in the first series, though. But really, it's nitpicking. This was pretty much just as good.

Those are just my initial impressions. I'll have more later.

Last edited by penguintruth on Sun May 10, 2009 10:11 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Maidenoftheredhand

PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2009 6:46 pm Reply with quote
I was actually pleasantly surprised with this episode. I was really nervous that combining Marcoh and Resembool wouldn't work but I feel they pulled it off very well and it didn't feel rushed at all.

Mind you they did cut a bunch pf scenes from the manga I am disappointed about (but I think I am beginning to accept that it is not going to be a perfect adaption). Yet despite these cuts everything flowed well. And they even added in a cute Ed/Winry scene. Also the scene with Ed looking over the remains of his house while Pinako was talking to Armstrong was done very well.

Part of me would have liked Resembool to be one episode but they obviously want to get through the stuff that has already been done in the 1st series quickly. Which is understandable because right now there is a lot of deja-vu going on.

Anyways as for the 1st series well I did like that they gave Resembool an entire episode and I loved the shining light scene but I never liked that they changed it so that was the first time that Ed & Al came home. And I also disliked how they handled the watch scene in the first anime honestly. So both versions had their ups and downs I guess.
ryokoalways

PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2009 8:33 pm Reply with quote
I understand they are trying to get pass the stuff that happened with the original animation so they can work on the rest of the manga material, but they need to do something about the pacing. The original had significantly better pacing.
crow-kun

PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2009 11:22 pm Reply with quote
ryokoalways wrote:
I understand they are trying to get pass the stuff that happened with the original animation so they can work on the rest of the manga material, but they need to do something about the pacing. The original had significantly better pacing.
I think you are confusing pacing and length. So events may have had less time spent on them but, there is nothing wrong with the pacing.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 29 of 64