• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Anime Central 2009 - Funimation Entertainment

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ninjapet

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2009 4:15 pm Reply with quote
I couldn't get in to the panel when I went so, this report is nice.

Good to see that they reported no loss in anime put outs. Just wish they would have said something about the Negima! OVDs and if there getting the rights to them. If they got the rights to the Lupin vs cased closed OVA I would go out and buy it. Epic cross overs need dubs
penguintruth

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2009 4:20 pm Reply with quote
Now that I think of it, it's pretty convenient that Funimaiton holds the licenses for both the Lupin III TV specials and Detective Conan, with that crossover special.

I hope they can put subtitled episodes of Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood up on OnDemand.

Last edited by penguintruth on Thu May 14, 2009 5:03 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
LordRedhand

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2009 4:37 pm Reply with quote
Come on Funi get the Lupin the 3rd/Detective Conan cross-over special..... come on..... just saying.... (I'm hoping that the response was more of a "We can't say anything right now." over a "No"

And things are moving forward on the digital front so that's good, didn't know about seeing series like Romeo x Juliet (news to me I guess)
wilson_x1999

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2009 5:17 pm Reply with quote
Looks like I'm never gonna be able to get Sgt. Frog on DVD :S
doctordoom85

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2009 6:28 pm Reply with quote
-Wait, what was wrong with D. Gray-man's advertising? I don't remember it being any different from most of their series' advertising.
-Ooh, they played their Last Exile trailer on a big screen? That was such an amazing trailer, I immediately ordered the series after seeing it (but got the Geneon singles + artbox, since they were in Rightstuf's bargain bin).
-Hopefully being sold early at ACen might help Case Closed sales, as I'd love for us to get post-Season 5 DVDs, even if they have to start going back to 13-episode sets to help produce a profit
-if OP seasons are being released based on story arcs, I bet Season 2 ends on episode 130, as that would cover spoiler[their journey through the Grand Line all the way to Arabasta]
-I'm with you here, FUNi, I've watched every FMA Brotherhood episode on your site and I'm not stopping. The video quality is irrelevant to me, after all, I'm buying the DVDs as soon as they come out, so it's not like this will be my definitive viewing of each episode
Mysticmidnightmaiden

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2009 6:37 pm Reply with quote
doctordoom85 wrote:
-Wait, what was wrong with D. Gray-man's advertising? I don't remember it being any different from most of their series' advertising.

Uhh... does "Death is his Gift" ring a bell? (Whatever someone thought that had to do with Allen is beyond me. Rather, it would be quite appropriate for spoiler[the current Bleach arc]...)
the Rancorous

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2009 7:42 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Romeo X Juliet
Sheehan gushed about the dub, which mixes in lines from multiple Shakespeare plays and consistent use of iambic pentameter, saying, “This is one of the best dubs I've ever heard, and I don't say that about everything.”

I've always disliked the story of Romeo and Juliet, greatly disliked it, but this actually makes me want to check it out.
Man, what I wouldn't give to have that FUNi-Channel on demand service... t'would be grand...
PlatinumHawke

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2009 7:58 pm Reply with quote
the Rancorous wrote:
I've always disliked the story of Romeo and Juliet, greatly disliked it, but this actually makes me want to check it out.

Lucky for you, Romeo x Juliet has nothing to with the actual play outside of sharing the same title, characters (in name only) and the two leads dying at the end. I expected in the early episodes for the show to take a "Rose of Versailles meets Romeo and Juliet," but that would be giving Gonzo a bit too much credit.

They did use the balcony scene, just not in the reverse manner that would have made sense within the context of the series, but instead completely straight -- like in the play -- and it didn't make any sense other than fanservice.
Teriyaki Terrier

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2009 8:01 pm Reply with quote
LordRedhand wrote:
Come on Funi get the Lupin the 3rd/Detective Conan cross-over special..... come on..... just saying.... (I'm hoping that the response was more of a "We can't say anything right now." over a "No"

And things are moving forward on the digital front so that's good, didn't know about seeing series like Romeo x Juliet (news to me I guess)

the company has no plans as of yet to license Lupin III vs. Detective Conan= equates to "we probably won't license this."

They said the same thing about the Hare and Guu finale, the source is from Anime News Network itself.

Quote:
AN Entertainment's Jungle Guu (officially called Haré + Guu) license includes the first 6-episode OVA series (Jungle Wa Itsumo Hale Nochi Guu Deluxe ) but does not yet include Jungle Wa Itsumo Hale Nochi Guu Final.
LordRedhand

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2009 8:31 pm Reply with quote
Different license holders

All it takes is a working relationship with TMS and they already have released the Lupin TV special and the Case Closed Series, so it may not be a "now, immediately thing" as opposed to "never, ever."

That is why I'm looking to find a way to buy Season 5 of Case Closed as soon as possible, need to show that Case Closed (showing Lupin the 3rd in the same way) as something worth continuing. That and going to their boards and sending them e-mails and polite letters about it....
rinmackie

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2009 9:30 pm Reply with quote
What?!! No mention of when they're going to release Hellsing Utlimate Volume 5?
Taiyz

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2009 9:54 pm Reply with quote
I'm glad that Kenichi is successful, even after the negative (from my perspective) reviews that it received on ANN. It's easily my favourite martial arts/dojo hijinks anime even though most people would point out Rurouni Kenshin and call it a day.

I also remember that only the first season was licensed, so this instills confidence that the series will actually reach completion on our side of the world.

Kaze no Stigma as well is a very under-appreciated shounen gem. It's one of the better examples of anime featuring badass male leads without getting pretentious. The best part is that there's no significant power-ups or training sequences; the main character just did all that before the series begun!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
jgreen

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2009 9:47 am Reply with quote
Teriyaki Terrier wrote:
the company has no plans as of yet to license Lupin III vs. Detective Conan= equates to "we probably won't license this."

Eh, my impression was that it's something they'd like to license, but it's not necessarily on the front burner or anything. It's kind of hard to read too much into the answer he gave, though, and he kind of seemed like he was caught pleasantly off guard by the question. I wouldn't completely write off the possibility.

Taiyz wrote:
It's easily my favourite martial arts/dojo hijinks anime even though most people would point out Rurouni Kenshin and call it a day.

Or Ranma 1/2. Wink
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Gewürtztraminer

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2009 5:10 pm Reply with quote
Taiyz wrote:
I also remember that only the first season was licensed, so this instills confidence that the series will actually reach completion on our side of the world.

I rented the first half of Kenichi. It was a lot of fun and I was surprised at how much I enjoyed it. I was all set to buy it, then I found out there was more unlicensed. When the rest is spoken for, I will buy the first.
Fujikira

PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2009 12:39 am Reply with quote
It's good to see that Funi is expanding it's sources, but i'm disappointed that they haven't gotten any new licenses I was looking forward to some Higurashi Kai license news sooner or later.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1