• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood (TV) (w/ index).

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kpk

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2010 1:37 pm Reply with quote
Manga (spoilers):

spoiler[By the way, don't you agree it could have been *WAY* cooler if instead of becoming what is appear to be Al's body with Ed's leg and arm and Roy's eyes, "Father" would have become the white "Truth" with the black "Father" eyes?

It also could have made a great closer to all of Ed's promises to make him (The "Truth") pay for everything.. Two birds in one stone Laughing]

{Spoiler tags. It's required. -- abunai}
penguintruth

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2010 12:53 am Reply with quote
Episode 45 was quite a doozy, since we got two battles, spoiler[Wrath vs Greed] and spoiler[Olivier vs Alex].

It also feels like the end of a "phase" of the story, with everyone preparing for "the promised day". We're sort of moving into the final part of FMA, though anyone who hasn't read the manga past this point shouldn't hold their breath for an end quite so soon.

Actually, from here on in, the story begins to drag a little, if it already hasn't, but there's plenty of good stuff, too.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
silver_omicron

PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2010 9:46 pm Reply with quote
This has been a very good series thus far. I've enjoyed it. The plot is very thick and Brotherhood capitalizes off what the first FMA did very well: splitting the point of view.

I have to say that if there's one thing that's suffered in B., it's Alchemy. I feel like it's used less than it was in FMA. I recall Ed transmutating anything he could get his hands onto at one point. But now, entire episodes go by without Alchemy being used.

On top of that, the Philosopher's Stone has really been marginalized too. Now, spoiler[anything and everything can be a philosopher's stone! I also am not fond of the ties between the homonculi and the Stone. For me, it's simply too much.]

What used to be a very sacred concept is now abused. While it's kept the characters on edge, I've become turned off to the idea. [/spoiler]
penguintruth

PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2010 9:53 pm Reply with quote
And yet, Brotherhood is more action-y than the first series. In fact, if anything, too action-y at times.

No, that's not it. I would be hypocritical to complain about too much action when I actually complain about too many info dumps.

It's more like, the action can be a little over the top, even for FMA. Not that I'm complaining about the latest episode's offering, but other times it can get a bit too silly.

The maneuvering skills of people are exaggerated at times, like Scar being fully capable of running faster than a crowd of soldiers can fire guns or Ed and Al being able to leap extremely high. At least with the homunculi, they're not really humans, you can buy into them having this amazing physical attributes, but with human characters, it gets ridiculous.

But, it's been a while since I've seen the first series. It probably did a lot of the same.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
silver_omicron

PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2010 10:35 pm Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:
And yet, Brotherhood is more action-y than the first series. In fact, if anything, too action-y at times.

No, that's not it. I would be hypocritical to complain about too much action when I actually complain about too many info dumps.

It's more like, the action can be a little over the top, even for FMA. Not that I'm complaining about the latest episode's offering, but other times it can get a bit too silly.

The maneuvering skills of people are exaggerated at times, like Scar being fully capable of running faster than a crowd of soldiers can fire guns or Ed and Al being able to leap extremely high. At least with the homunculi, they're not really humans, you can buy into them having this amazing physical attributes, but with human characters, it gets ridiculous.

But, it's been a while since I've seen the first series. It probably did a lot of the same.

There is a lot more action, certainly. I won't deny that. I'm assuming that the Manga is in the action class and the anime tries its hardest to remain faithful to that in a very graphic way.

I do enjoy the fight scenes. I think if alchemy has been absent, well animated fighting has been very present. I especially enjoy watching characters like Wrath fight. Really keeps you on edge.
Dune

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2010 1:20 am Reply with quote
We're finally done with the Briggs arc. Whew. The arc has its good moments, specifically when introducing new characters or plots. These moments are pretty unconnected to each other though, and--given the length of the whole thing--this kinda hurts rewatchability. Even with the manga I found myself thumbing through the pages. Anyway, looking forward to the final arc.

--Is that new music I heard in the latest preview? Exclamation Great if true. Btw there's a new soundtrack for Brotherhood coming out; I won't be able to pick it up for quite a while, but I hope it contains music through the end of Brotherhood, since I somewhat doubt there are enough songs to merit a third release.

--Awesome fight between Greed and Wrath, though I'm not a big fan of Greed's conversion, especially since it follows all the Chimera grouping. It's just so... easy. We never even got to see Greed do anything evil before joining Edward. Not one thing. This also makes Father look needlessly foolish.

Quote:
Actually, from here on in, the story begins to drag a little, if it already hasn't, but there's plenty of good stuff, too.

Oh lol. Watching the new subbed episodes at the same time as the Adult Swim broadcast is pretty disorienting, given the huge difference in pacing.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2010 1:26 am Reply with quote
I think the track I'm looking forward to on the second OST is the one played when Mustang fought Lust, which was played in the latest episode when Olivier fought Alex.

Other than that, I'm surprised to find out that there were enough tracks to even make an entirely new OST. The first series had, what, four soundtracks?

There have been a couple of new tracks lately, though.
Dune

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2010 1:28 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Other than that, I'd be surprised to find out that there were enough tracks to even make an entire second OST. The first series had, what, four of them?

Three for the series itself, and one for the movie. So yeah, four OST's.
drdr48

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2010 12:13 pm Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:
I think the track I'm looking forward to on the second OST is the one played when Mustang fought Lust, which was played in the latest episode when Olivier fought Alex.

Other than that, I'm surprised to find out that there were enough tracks to even make an entirely new OST. The first series had, what, four soundtracks?

There have been a couple of new tracks lately, though.

About that, am i the only one that gets tired of hearing the same old themes palys over and over again through the entire show?! Confused

I mean, the first series had many different themes that had played through the show. enough for three soundtracks! And it had only 51 episodes!
This one have 62-63 episodes, we are already at episode 45 and most of the themes that plays in the background are still the same old themes!
drdr48

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2010 12:32 pm Reply with quote
Manga spoilers:

Wow, people were complaining about spoiler[Dante's plan], but what about spoiler[Father's plan]?... To spoiler[eat God]? spoiler[What kind of a stupid plan is that? And what one can do after he succeed? Take over Satan Laughing? I mean, seriously. What can you do now? Confused]

Last edited by drdr48 on Sun Feb 28, 2010 3:18 pm; edited 1 time in total
braves

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2010 3:14 pm Reply with quote
^ Can people stop posting manga spoilers in the anime thread? Cheese and crackers, make a thread about it in the manga forum if you want to talk about the latest chapters.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Charred Knight

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2010 3:18 pm Reply with quote
I agree, we are talking about stuff that happened in the last chapter that has nothing to do with the latest episode of Brotherhood.
drdr48

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2010 3:20 pm Reply with quote
braves wrote:
^ Can people stop posting manga spoilers in the anime thread? Cheese and crackers, make a thread about it in the manga forum if you want to talk about the latest chapters.

Sorry. Fixed.
Dorcas_Aurelia

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2010 3:29 pm Reply with quote
drdr48 wrote:
braves wrote:

Sorry. Fixed.

I'm with braves. That's the second time in two weeks we've seen MANGA spoilers in this thread unprompted by what's going on in the ANIME. There's a separate forum for manga, and you guys can't just assume that people watching the simulcast release are up to speed on the manga.
Dune

PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2010 4:40 pm Reply with quote
It's been pointed out elsewhere that Envy's new form is basically a walking reference to Evangelion. The 'six-legged, bug-eyed embryo with a tail' was used for Adam (pic).

This makes me wonder whether the giant eye from Hohenheim's backstory is meant to be an homage to Second Impact (or Third Impact, whichever it was).
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 58 of 64